Jump to content
RichieV

Mten3: 325wh vs 512wh

Recommended Posts

Because of all you enablers I'm looking hard at then MTen3.  I already have the V10f and ACMs+ for distance riding, so the Mten3 would be merely a fun toy or something like a portable last-mile option to keep in the car.  As a 190lb rider, I think the 325wh should realistically be good for about 10 miles whereas the 512wh should give around 15 miles.  Normally I'd go with the bigger battery option as a matter of course, but since it's such a small wheel, I don't think I'd enjoy riding it for prolonged periods.  I figure I could save a few bucks by going with the 325wh.

Those of you who have the 512wh version, do you often find yourself using all of the battery or would you have been fine with the lesser range of the 325wh?  Those with the 325wh version, do you regret not having the bigger battery?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless you're constrained by cash, go for the bigger battery. At ~170-pounds I get 18-miles on mine before the low battery alarm starts beeping. I can squeeze another 2-3 miles out of it, but not very fun.

Everyone is different of course, but I'll often take mine on a looong ride :) to get lunch, just so I can have some fun. It might be 2-miles as the crow flies but I can turn it into an 8-mile ride.

It's just nice not have to worry about the battery. And there is a safety buffer that comes with the bigger battery. The Mten3 has amazing torque, and you can just feel the amps surging out of the battery.

IMG_0045.jpg.b7eddb57f7e03eb32e4e18a725c

Bigger gas tank equals safer wheel. 

Edited by Marty Backe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So it's not a hard money constraint; just trying to exercise frugality considering it would just be a backup fun wheel in the stable.

Normally it would be a no brainer for me to go with the bigger battery (like, duh)!  But at the price point of the 512wh version, I encounter other non-EUC options that I'm also considering such as one of the higher performing scooters or the folding ebike that @Jason McNeil may be introducing shortly.

And of course there's a little voice telling me to wait and see what new products will come out. Is there a successor to the MTen3 already on the drawing boards?

Anyway decisions, decisions! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, RichieV said:

Is there a successor to the MTen3 already on the drawing boards?

Hard to say, but in the past the MTen has been on a slower refresh schedule, it had been several years since the previous model. 

Having said that, I'm curious about exactly where Gotway goes from here. With the MCM5, MSuper X, ACM2, and even rolling upgrades to the Tesla, all of their model lines have been recently refreshed. I'm sure we will step into 100v territory pretty hard with the MSX, though 1230wh will concern range-obsessed riders.

Maybe boss Lin at Gotway will run into boss Musk and work a deal to source a few thousand Tesla 2170 batteries. :):)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, who_the said:

Hard to say, but in the past the MTen has been on a slower refresh schedule, it had been several years since the previous model. 

Having said that, I'm curious about exactly where Gotway goes from here. With the MCM5, MSuper X, ACM2, and even rolling upgrades to the Tesla, all of their model lines have been recently refreshed. I'm sure we will step into 100v territory pretty hard with the MSX, though 1230wh will concern range-obsessed riders.

Maybe boss Lin at Gotway will run into boss Musk and work a deal to source a few thousand Tesla 2170 batteries. :):)

That would be cool. But unlikely to happen once Musk finds out that Lin co-opted his Tesla brand name :whistling: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, RichieV said:

So it's not a hard money constraint; just trying to exercise frugality considering it would just be a backup fun wheel in the stable.

Normally it would be a no brainer for me to go with the bigger battery (like, duh)!  But at the price point of the 512wh version, I encounter other non-EUC options that I'm also considering such as one of the higher performing scooters or the folding ebike that @Jason McNeil may be introducing shortly.

And of course there's a little voice telling me to wait and see what new products will come out. Is there a successor to the MTen3 already on the drawing boards?

Anyway decisions, decisions!

Get the Dualtron, you won't be disappointed!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Esper said:

Get the Dualtron, you won't be disappointed!

I was looking at the Dualtron Ultra... I saw one about 2 weeks ago in front of Home Depot... That thing is wicked cool... I did not talk to the owner but I did a little research and locally here where I live, it is CLEARLY ILLEGAL to ride that thing around, not saying if they enforce it or not but I am not willing to Spend 3 Grand on a toy and find out I cant use it... all I can say is do a little homework, but if you get one, VERY COOL!!! :thumbup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Esper said:

Get the Dualtron, you won't be disappointed!

The Dualtron has impressive specs but for my purposes it's too much scooter.  I don't see myself needing the speed (40mph!!) and distance that the Dualtron offers.  Instead I'm looking more at the Speedway III which for me strikes a good balance between features and price.   For the price of one Dualtron EX I could get BOTH the Speedway III and MTen3!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't really understand the idea of wanting a fun toy (Mten3) and then maybe just getting an e-scooter? Not exactly the same "fun toy" factor imo.

And I agree with Marty. Get the 512wh version. Nobody ever regretted getting a wheel with too much battery capacity. You might find yourself riding it further than you expected. Especially because of the portability it is easy to bring somewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally just don't see reason in getting multiple of essentially the same thing. No offense @Marty Backe
I get that they are different and fun to ride. But even if I was rich, I wouldn't buy 15 cars. It just isn't practical to me. I could see having two just in case one dies and you need to ride one while the other is charging.

Having both a scooter and a EUC is in my view, more practical as the scooter can maintain high speed though unknown/uneven terrain with much higher safety than an EUC. Which makes it, in my honest opinion, a better tool for commuting.
Comparatively, the EUC is recreational fun vs the scooter's commuter friendly. 
Again, I think that after 2 EUCs a little variation is needed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Esper said:

But even if I was rich, I wouldn't buy 15 cars.

If you were rich and didn't own at least a dozen cars, the other rich guys would all make fun of you. (Especially, Jay Leno.) ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, RayRay said:

If you were rich and didn't own at least a dozen cars, the other rich guys would all make fun of you. (Especially, Jay Leno.) ?

You have a good point there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Esper said:

I personally just don't see reason in getting multiple of essentially the same thing. No offense @Marty Backe
I get that they are different and fun to ride. But even if I was rich, I wouldn't buy 15 cars. It just isn't practical to me. I could see having two just in case one dies and you need to ride one while the other is charging.

You would just buy a Ferrari 488 and use it to go grocery shopping, camping and family holidays?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

BTW, I'll race any scooter from Point A to Point B on varied terrain and win the race. There are many commuters on the Forum which would disagree with your assertion that the EUC is not more commuter friendly than a scooter.

I sort of agree with him though. Riding a scooter fast on unknown terrain can be done with nearly zero brain cycles committed to the scooter. It just takes all obstacles with ease because of the stability / 2 wheels. What makes a euc more commuter friendly is that it's a lot smaller and a lot easier to use around crowds.

Then again, the best tool for commuting is a car. Controlled environment, luxury, heaps of storage space, possibility to take extra people, fast .... but that only works if we are the only ones on the road with one, so all alternatives have some kind of compromise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

Then again, the best tool for commuting is a car. Controlled environment, luxury, heaps of storage space, possibility to take extra people, fast .... but that only works if we are the only ones on the road with one, so all alternatives have some kind of compromise.

Hey @ir_fuel quick funny irrelevant story... I bought a new Harley Davidson Electra-Glide... I purchased 2 full face helmets and installed a intercom in them so I could ride and talk to my now X-wife while we were riding... When I told my buddy about the helmets as he also has a Bike, he said to me (in his very heavy Spanish accent)  "IF I WANT TO TALK TO MY WIFE, I WILL TAKE THE CAR" :roflmao: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Marcglider said:

Hey @ir_fuel quick funny irrelevant story... I bought a new Harley Davidson Electra-Glide... I purchased 2 full face helmets and installed a intercom in them so I could ride and talk to my now X-wife while we were riding... When I told my buddy about the helmets as he also has a Bike, he said to me (in his very heavy Spanish accent)  "IF I WANT TO TALK TO MY WIFE, I WILL TAKE THE CAR" :roflmao: 

It's the first thing I thought of when I was reading "installed a intercom".  :lol:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

I sort of agree with him though. Riding a scooter fast on unknown terrain can be done with nearly zero brain cycles committed to the scooter. It just takes all obstacles with ease because of the stability / 2 wheels. What makes a euc more commuter friendly is that it's a lot smaller and a lot easier to use around crowds.

Then again, the best tool for commuting is a car. Controlled environment, luxury, heaps of storage space, possibility to take extra people, fast .... but that only works if we are the only ones on the road with one, so all alternatives have some kind of compromise.

Can you easily ride scooter over bumpy hills, grass, etc.? On my EUC I can take a cross-country trajectory whenever I want, going up and down embankments, across bumpy grass fields, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Esper said:

Having both a scooter and a EUC is in my view, more practical as the scooter can maintain high speed though unknown/uneven terrain with much higher safety than an EUC. Which makes it, in my honest opinion, a better tool for commuting.

Sorry....which EUC do you have?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Marcglider said:

Hey @ir_fuel quick funny irrelevant story... I bought a new Harley Davidson Electra-Glide... I purchased 2 full face helmets and installed a intercom in them so I could ride and talk to my now X-wife while we were riding... When I told my buddy about the helmets as he also has a Bike, he said to me (in his very heavy Spanish accent)  "IF I WANT TO TALK TO MY WIFE, I WILL TAKE THE CAR" :roflmao: 

Separate rides and an intercom (with mute feature) will suffice for the X-wife... ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Can you easily ride scooter over bumpy hills, grass, etc.? On my EUC I can take a cross-country trajectory whenever I want, going up and down embankments, across bumpy grass fields, etc.

I doubt you will be faster with an euc than with e.g. a dualtron scooter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...