First day didnot go as good as I would have hoped

Donafello

So today I got on my msuper hs model for the first time. I was on it for a total of maybe 45 minutes. Today consisted of basicall getting on while holding a rail and just basically rocking a little back and forth and moving slowly while holding rail.  It's funny what clay case said that he thinks he does better backwards.  I kind of felt the same thing today.lol.  I would say there was maybe 10 times where I got to the end of the rail and let go and I would not go more the 2 seconds before the cycle would tilt left and the I would try and go back to the right and would fall.  Never landed off my feet but the cycle took a couple nice shots.  I would also try  without a wall to have one foot one and kind of push off and get the right one on.  I would get it on but would fall off instantly.  So for day one I feel like I made baby steps and will try tomorrow.  I have to admit that this msuper is a freaking beast and is bigger then I thought.  But I'm still glad I'm learning on this because I think I would be able to dodge anything after this

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like a normal first day. Don't be discouraged, just keep trying at least an hour or so every day. Take a look through the forum posts here for tips and tricks, and look at the "learning electric unicycle" videos on Youtube.

Do you have anybody that can lend a supporting hand? A mobile support is 10 times better than walls and railings as you tend to put yourself off balance by leaning towards them and continually changing your hand position as you move along them.

+1 on a friend lending a shoulder...

Also, don't forget to look straight forward. When starting, the tendency is to look at the unicycle or your feet. There's an old adage "you go where you look", and that's most definitely true for eucs. Slightly bend your knees, look forward, your body will find its balance much easier

Thanks guys. I have to admit that this is by far the one of the best forums I have ever been a part of. Everybody here is awesome and I appreciate all the advice. I must admit that I thought this would be a little easier as Im usually pretty good at catching on to things. I am a very good skier, snowboarder and have road a segway many of times. I understand this is a whole different ballgame but I thought I would be riding the first day. I do feel if I had a 14in wheel it might have been a little easier to learn on. This Msuper is a beast. As soon as i took it out of the box I knew it would not come as easy as I thought. I know myself and If I purchased a smaller wheel I would have wanted a better one as soon as I got good so I figured let me just start with the best and If I learn on that I can probably ride them all. Yeah so far I think the best advice is to have someone lend a shoulder. Also looking straight is something Im not doing. I was deff looking at the ground and the wheel.

Donafello, I'm not nearly as experienced as these other guys (only had two sessions so far at classes in london and still waiting for my ninebot to arrive). 

But......a small anecdote/tip that might help and emphasise just how important another person is:

The first time on a Ninebot, I couldn't stay on for more than a second.  I spent about 3 hours edging along with one hand on the wall. After 3 hours, ZERO progress. Actually zero. Nothing. Nada. I spent most of the day on the two-wheelers which i hated. 

One of the instructors brought the ninebot back to me and i got on it, and i basically held his wrist tightly as he walked me a few yards...then did a circle...then walked a few yards...then a circle and so on etc. Lots and lots of gentle circles. Almost immediately, the grip i had on his wrist (i.e. a sign of how much I was balancing myself as opposed to HIM balancing me) went from terminator-hydraulically strong to more relaxed, then much more relaxed, then quite light.....then after about ten minutes, I was holding his wrist by just finger and thumb. It was very boring for him but I genuinely went from zero-progress to eventually letting go and being able to go round a tennis court by myself in only about 15 MINUTES. No joke. And I'm convinced it would've been the same even if I hadn't been on the two-wheelers beforehand.

So find someone patient and try that technique. Also the advantage of this circles method (in my opinion) meant that i simultaneously was getting comfortable with turning at the same time - rather than making turning a sort of feared 'level-2' technique you have to learn after going straight.

Donafello, I'm not nearly as experienced as these other guys (only had two sessions so far at classes in london and still waiting for my ninebot to arrive). 

But......a small anecdote/tip that might help and emphasise just how important another person is:

The first time on a Ninebot, I couldn't stay on for more than a second.  I spent about 3 hours edging along with one hand on the wall. After 3 hours, ZERO progress. Actually zero. Nothing. Nada. I spent most of the day on the two-wheelers which i hated. 

One of the instructors brought the ninebot back to me and i got on it, and i basically held his wrist tightly as he walked me a few yards...then did a circle...then walked a few yards...then a circle and so on etc. Lots and lots of gentle circles. Almost immediately, the grip i had on his wrist (i.e. a sign of how much I was balancing myself as opposed to HIM balancing me) went from terminator-hydraulically strong to more relaxed, then much more relaxed, then quite light.....then after about ten minutes, I was holding his wrist by just finger and thumb. It was very boring for him but I genuinely went from zero-progress to eventually letting go and being able to go round a tennis court by myself in only about 15 MINUTES. No joke. And I'm convinced it would've been the same even if I hadn't been on the two-wheelers beforehand.

So find someone patient and try that technique. Also the advantage of this circles method (in my opinion) meant that i simultaneously was getting comfortable with turning at the same time - rather than making turning a sort of feared 'level-2' technique you have to learn after going straight.

thanks a lot. It seems getting someone is going to make all the difference for me. Ill keep that in mind. Thanks

Just to throw in my tuppence. I also learned the same way, holding on to a rail or wall and it took me some time. However, I made pretty good progress after adjusting the following two aspects:

1. I started with a kind of narrow stance and almost squeezed the euc between my legs. But after I widened my stance and kept some room between my legs and the wheel, I found it easier to keep my balance. At the same time, I shifted my feet to a more forward position, with my toes far over the pedals.

2. At first I was very nervous for all sorts of reasons and practising was no fun at all. The first significant progress came when I tried to ride and was more relaxed. I really dont know why that was the case. But I rode about 10 or 15 meters without support. After I stopped, I realised that this was only possible because I was not as tense as before. After that kind of "eyeopener" it took only a couple of hours before I went for the first soloflight through town.

Anyway, it really is worth learning it and I am perfectly sure that you also will enjoy the tremendous fun cruising on your euc very soon!

Thanks noam and paddy. I appreciate all your input. For my first time out I was happy with the little I accomplished. I'm going to just keep at it everyday. I just can't wait to be able to ride around town and leave the small area Im practicing in.

Just make sure you join public traffic when you are comfortably riding it, mounting maneuvering and stopping it.
My personal tip for level 2 training after you got the feel for the wheel a bit, is to ride figure-8 and narrow them down as you progress. You can even add a stop to each round to train mounting and dismounting.

Day two last 5 minutes was awesome.  Something clicked and I finally was able to go about 50 feet and actually make a turn.  Then I did another run and made it just as far. Now those all started from a stop holding on to something.  Me last run I just jumped on from having one foot on and pressing off the other and had a great run of about 100 feet.  I then figured let's stop because I already was out for a hour and pretty soar.  It was amazing to finally feel like I'm making progress. I can't wait until tomorrow.  Btw I took a piece of everyone's advice and actually had a friend from work there.  In the beginning I was holding his shoulder while riding. That helped a lot.  I still was fallen.  He actually tried as well and was struggling like me on my first day.  He actually started to get a little better at the end and deff has a better first day then I did.  My unit deff took a couple hard spills but besides a couple Scratches it's holding up well.  I'm very happy with my purchase.  

I have to say, although it's highly questionable advice to be giving anyone....for anything. But I had a couple of beers during my lunch break between practice sessions that I think really helped. So much of the wheel seems to be about relaxing your body and not being a nervous stiff.

Obviously any more than two beers and results are rapidly going to start going in the other way :P

I have to say, although it's highly questionable advice to be giving anyone....for anything. But I had a couple of beers during my lunch break between practice sessions that I think really helped. So much of the wheel seems to be about relaxing your body and not being a nervous stiff.

Obviously any more than two beers and results are rapidly going to start going in the other way :P

I'm not a drinker but will participate in a 420 celebration here and there and that seemed to relax me enough to get going. lol 

I'm loving my Gotway. I'm so glad I went with the Msuper. I think learning on that will help me down the road when I get another one. I feel the addiction setting in and I'm about to order a 18in kingsong very soon from Kale. I think having 2 will be better becuase I have a lot of friends that are going to want to ride with me.

Something about these unicycles seems to make peoples' brains go into "fast learning mode." Perhaps the fear of another fall? But for whatever reason it seemed like each night my brain worked on the problem and the next day I was automatically better at riding.

Just got to be the old man and mention the concern about getting overconfident in the early days. New riders might be wise to consider a leash attached to the belt to avoid a rolling runaway (posts on the forums about this somewhere). Don't want the uni to get loose and go ghost riding into a wall or worse.

Super happy to hear you've had a taste of a real ride @Donafello what a feeling eh! Definitely agree with @Noam about the wider stance with less leg gripping once you've built those uni muscles. After a week or two you can ride with the legs barely touching the body of the unit itself; it gives me this nimble, controlled feeling.

We had a BBQ event tonight at the office and I decided to bring the wheel with me so people that were interested could try it for a few minutes while the rest could have some laughs. I helped about 5 people on their first few meters and I got pretty depressed after the fifth was able to ride without me running next to them after those 10 minutes. <_< it took me a fricken week to get there. But alas, I could give them all the tips for any problem they had while I was try and erroring all on my own.

Now I read about beer, and I agree, all of them had a beer before riding the bot :D:D

Still not quite managed to get it to 'click' here, so it is good to see other people's stories about learning :) Done a good few hours practice over several days, but I don't seem to be able to get past the wobbles and jumping off in panic stage after 3-4 metres :/ Keeping at it though!

I have tried with someone walking/running along side me however I found that I tended to lean very heavily on them for support, so I'm not sure if it was actually helping or hindering.

I got a ninebot one E+ Thats ma bae: http://i.imgur.com/45j4DrG.png

I made a vid tonight but unfortunately from the most paranoid person on the company so I wont share it without his explicit permission (its the CISO :rolleyes:). If I learn "blur the face on videos with free internet tools" fast enough, I will upload it. I felt that holding on to someone (preferably that has ridden a EUC before) helps a ton. One apprentice that tried, she rides horses, caught on it in minutes and was riding without support in no time. Deimpressing isnt it? :blink:

When you have someone to hold, try to use that support as little as possible, with another person we ran and rode barely touching , just the feeling that support is there when needed helped them a lot.
Funny sidenote though: At one point I suddenly pulled my hand away hoping to catch a breath and the person instantly started to wobble and jumped off although they balanced on their own, just touching my hand for reassurance.

I got a ninebot one E+ Thats ma bae: http://i.imgur.com/45j4DrG.png

I made a vid tonight but unfortunately from the most paranoid person on the company so I wont share it without his explicit permission (its the CISO :rolleyes:). If I learn "blur the face on videos with free internet tools" fast enough, I will upload it. I felt that holding on to someone (preferably that has ridden a EUC before) helps a ton. One apprentice that tried, she rides horses, caught on it in minutes and was riding without support in no time. Deimpressing isnt it? :blink:

When you have someone to hold, try to use that support as little as possible, with another person we ran and rode barely touching , just the feeling that support is there when needed helped them a lot.
Funny sidenote though: At one point I suddenly pulled my hand away hoping to catch a breath and the person instantly started to wobble and jumped off although they balanced on their own, just touching my hand for reassurance.

I think the wobble and jump off thing is what I do every time... I need the confidence to keep up the speed I think.

Archived