New Wheel advice please

marek

6 minutes ago, marek said:

Help please. Complete beginner. What should buy to start with? Is buying a Ninebot One Z10 a really stupid idea? thank you, marek

Maybe ?

Welcome to the forum!

With a bit more of information one could be a bit more specific! Also read a bit through the other post around here - there is much information gathered!

I,m 70 kg in weight and like the idea of slowly moving onto a off road environment . I would like to get a wheel that would allow me to learn on grass, softer to fall and less damage to unit. 

Hi Marek,

It's like buying a motorcycle-motorscooter. How much do you weigh. What will be your main use of the wheel. What is the amount of range you need/want? How hilly is the terrain you will be traveling through? The condition of roads - off-roads? What is your price range? 

As far as the Z10 is concern, "this is pure conjecture on my part", but I suspect it would be easier to get ones balance and get that initial 100 foot unassisted glide down. It appears to almost be self standing with the wide tire, and is heavy and well planted so going straight should be mastered fairly quickly. The big unknown is whether learning to turn and generally manuver the Z10 by someone not prejudiced by experiences with lighter - narrower wheels will be harder/the same/easier. ** Warning learning to ride an euc could be dangerous to your wallet! **

Welcome to the forum! The major differences between the new wheels that you would be choosing from are:

• Battery capacity - How far you can go with a single charge. Varies between 10-100km.
  • Top speed - Varies between 20-50km/h.
  • Wheel diameter - 14", 16" or 18". Larger wheels are more stable and feel relaxed at speed, but they are a bit harder to turn in very narrow spaces.
  • Price - Varies generally between about $500 - $2000.
  • Manufacturer reputation - Concentrating on safety and limiting performance, or vice versa.

I'd think about where you'd want to ride, and where can you ride where you live. Look at various riding videos on Youtube. What kind of terrain and riding style gets your blood pumping? If you then come back to the list above, I'm sure we can help you a whole lot better!

58 minutes ago, marek said:

Help please. Complete beginner. What should buy to start with? Is buying a Ninebot One Z10 a really stupid idea? thank you, marek

The truth is, you can learn on any wheel, it's only a matter of will. From Chooch videos, the Z10 seems to be a fine off road machine.

thank yu  for feedback, what a great community..................  happy to begin with 30-40K distance, top speed slow. but hopefully I can change that with a setting, 16 or 18 wheel, good reputation of brand. have watched the vids for days and just get more confused, lol, could be my age, 70

20 minutes ago, marek said:

thank yu  for feedback, what a great community..................  happy to begin with 30-40K distance, top speed slow. but hopefully I can change that with a setting, 16 or 18 wheel, good reputation of brand. have watched the vids for days and just get more confused, lol, could be my age, 70

You know, I think @The Fat Unicyclist would be your best contact. I think he recently opened up a shop in NZ and can even help you learn and provide you great advice on what wheel works well in your area. I hope you two connect. 

4 minutes ago, Esper said:

You know, I think @The Fat Unicyclist would be your best contact.

This might've been the best piece of information that can be given in this thread!

30 minutes ago, marek said:

hopefully I can change that with a setting

Max speed and distance can't be increased from what the wheel is designed to. Top speed can be limited further down, but a 20km/h wheel can't be made a 25km/h wheel.

7 minutes ago, marek said:

could be my age, 70

Unfortunately this does bring up a few things. Most 70 year olds I know would not be capable of riding an EUC because:

• Eye sight. It is crucial to see the ground before you in detail, to avoid or at least prepare for obstacles that are easily hidden by shadows or otherwise. In addition, you have to keep close watch for pedestrians, dogs, bicyclists, motorcycles and cars.
  • Balance & reaction time. In order to be able to learn riding an EUC, one has to have a good sense of balance and a decent reaction time. As well as some muscle strength and stamina.
  • Fast judgement. EUC riders are often in situations where something surprising happens, and one has to quickly decide on wether to brake, turn, steer, or even jump off.
  • Risk. Riding an EUC is very risky, and riders that have not crashed or at least fallen down are extremely rare. Damage from a fall can be very serious, and permanent.

But if you feel that you are good to go, I would choose a 16" or 18" wheel from KingSong (16S, 18S, 18L) or Inmotion (V10F), with at least a 800Wh, preferably 1000Wh battery.

Yay... another (soon to be) rider to bolster the Kiwi contingent! Hi @marek.

Another thing to consider is where you are allowed to ride EUC in NZ... Currently it is illegal to ride on the road, so (when not "off-road") that means foot-path riding. Not a problem in itself but depending on your environment (path width, amount of pedestrians, et cetera) the agility of your wheel can be quite important. 

If you don't mind me asking, what part of NZ are you in? If we can catch up I'm happy to spend some time going into more detail and maybe even getting you up and riding...

In Africa till mid sept then back home to raglan................

On 6/29/2018 at 6:34 PM, mrelwood said:

This might've been the best piece of information that can be given in this thread!

Max speed and distance can't be increased from what the wheel is designed to. Top speed can be limited further down, but a 20km/h wheel can't be made a 25km/h wheel.

Unfortunately this does bring up a few things. Most 70 year olds I know would not be capable of riding an EUC because:

• Eye sight. It is crucial to see the ground before you in detail, to avoid or at least prepare for obstacles that are easily hidden by shadows or otherwise. In addition, you have to keep close watch for pedestrians, dogs, bicyclists, motorcycles and cars.
  • Balance & reaction time. In order to be able to learn riding an EUC, one has to have a good sense of balance and a decent reaction time. As well as some muscle strength and stamina.
  • Fast judgement. EUC riders are often in situations where something surprising happens, and one has to quickly decide on wether to brake, turn, steer, or even jump off.
  • Risk. Riding an EUC is very risky, and riders that have not crashed or at least fallen down are extremely rare. Damage from a fall can be very serious, and permanent.

But if you feel that you are good to go, I would choose a 16" or 18" wheel from KingSong (16S, 18S, 18L) or Inmotion (V10F), with at least a 800Wh, preferably 1000Wh battery.

thanks for you concern re age.........I,m on a electric skate board, I teach kitefoikng, ect ect so very luck in the health dept.

indeed more fragile. came of the skateboard a year ago and took a long time to heal.............

Archived