Never owned a wheel

Hylton_takes

Hey everyone. I JUST found kut about the existence of EUCs this week and have been on youtube ever since. Im really interested in buying one... Correction i am DEFINITELY buying one. But was wondering which one would work for me. There a couple of things i have to consider:

1. I am 6ft 5 and i weight almost 290 lbs. Working on dropping some lbs but dnt want to wait that long to get. Lol. 

2. I dont know if i should spend a whole lot on my first wheel as i see some ppl say its best to buy a cheap wheel to learn on then upgrade later. 

3. I live in the cayman islands and will like to do some street and some off roading as well. 

4. Im really interested in the z10. It seems like a beast but not sure if its suited for a beginner. 

Thanks everyone! 

Congrats! Check out this chart from ewheels.com, look at the recommended rider weight. Most EUCs will be off limits for you, and you want to be extremely careful about what one you end up buying. Also consider the clothing you'll be wearing, and the fact that you might carry groceries/items in your backpack while riding. Also consider that riding off road or at all aggressively will put you at heightened risk of a cut-out if you end up going with a wheel with a recommended rider weight of just 300 lbs. You should stick to the wheels rated for 350 lbs recommended rider weight to give yourself a margin of error, and to also get a wheel that will give you good performance at your weight.

The M-Super X comes to mind as a sick wheel that you might love, as well as the new Monster 100 Volt.

Be very cautious about well-intentioned 150 lb riders telling you you'll be fine on a KS16S or something. Jason from EWheels had a 250 lb guy take a bad fall because it couldn't handle his weight, even though the KS16S is rated for 300 lbs. That's why the *recommended weight below is 50 lbs less than the manufacturer listed max rider weight. These wheels are tested in China by 150 lb guys, not NFL lineman types like yourself. So you want to give yourself a big safety cushion, Max Weight-wise.

eWheels-Product-Lineup-30-Dec-17.jpg

Hylton,  you sound like me three months ago. Scouts Honor gave you great advice.  

The bigger wheels are heavier and that is ok for you but the wheel itself gets damaged quicker.  You might want to make a moving blanket cover for it while you are learning. 

Welcome to EUC life.  

11 hours ago, Hylton_takes said:

2. I dont know if i should spend a whole lot on my first wheel as i see some ppl say its best to buy a cheap wheel to learn on then upgrade later.

For the very first minutes of the beginning, absolutely, a cheapo could do fine. But if you are a fast learner, the cheap wheel gets underpowered for you after half an hour, as you can't increase the riding speed to anything meaningful. The risk of the wheel getting stuck in or slowing down too much at an obstacle is unfortunately many times greater for you.

3. I live in the cayman islands and will like to do some street and some off roading as well.

You need one of the most powerful wheels on the market in order to get a stable and secure feel at speed. Many if not most of us love riding at around 20mph, which of course requires a lot of power in order to be even relatively safe for a rider of any weight.

But I can assure you, since you already are enthusiastic about one, if you push through the learning period, you will not regret one day buying a proper wheel right from the start.

Ps. The chart above is missing the great four new wheels that have come out this year: Inmotion V10F (& V10), KingSong KS-18L, Gotway Msuper X, and Ninebot One Z10.

9 hours ago, Scouts Honor said:

Congrats! Check out this chart from ewheels.com, look at the recommended rider weight. Most EUCs will be off limits for you, and you want to be extremely careful about what one you end up buying. Also consider the clothing you'll be wearing, and the fact that you might carry groceries/items in your backpack while riding. Also consider that riding off road or at all aggressively will put you at heightened risk of a cut-out if you end up going with a wheel with a recommended rider weight of just 300 lbs. You should stick to the wheels rated for 350 lbs recommended rider weight to give yourself a margin of error, and to also get a wheel that will give you good performance at your weight.

The M-Super X comes to mind as a sick wheel that you might love, as well as the new Monster 100 Volt.

Be very cautious about well-intentioned 150 lb riders telling you you'll be fine on a KS16S or something. Jason from EWheels had a 250 lb guy take a bad fall because it couldn't handle his weight, even though the KS16S is rated for 300 lbs. That's why the *recommended weight below is 50 lbs less than the manufacturer listed max rider weight. These wheels are tested in China by 150 lb guys, not NFL lineman types like yourself. So you want to give yourself a big safety cushion, Max Weight-wise.

eWheels-Product-Lineup-30-Dec-17.jpg

This has been extremely helpful! ive searched online and came up empty handed as most charts that i saw did not give an indication of rider weight. but this is very thorough. thank you for all the advice. now to make some decisions!

8 hours ago, RockyTop said:

Hylton,  you sound like me three months ago. Scouts Honor gave you great advice.  

The bigger wheels are heavier and that is ok for you but the wheel itself gets damaged quicker.  You might want to make a moving blanket cover for it while you are learning. 

Welcome to EUC life.  

Thanks RockyTop. what do you mean by a moving blanket cover? 

You need all the power reserves you can get:efee47c9c8:

• Gotway msuper X
  • Kingsong KS18L or KS18S
  • Ninebot One Z10 if you like it, you can get used to any wheel as a beginner. In fact, the wide tire should make balancing easier. I'm not 100% sure how the Z10 would fare with a rider your weight, while from the Gotways and Kingsongs we know that people have done it. But it should be no problem.
  • I guess the Gotway ACM2 or Inmotion V10F would work as 16 inch options, but I'd prefer the aforementioned 18 inchers.
  • And the Gotway Monster exists, but it's a bit easy to damage and unwieldy for a first wheel.

Welcome to the addiction:efef77eaf5:

1 hour ago, Hylton_takes said:

I think he means a blanket that is used for protecting stuff when moving to a new apartment. Googling ”moving blanket” gives such results.

2 hours ago, Hylton_takes said:

Yes, As mrelwood said, Make a cover using a quilted furniture moving blanket.   They make a padded cover for the InMotion V8 and I was told that it works for the KS16 but they don't make anything for other wheels.  IMHO it would be worth the money to pay a seamstress $50 to make a cover.   The GotWay shells get scratched and gouged up real easy. The King Song shells are much tougher.  I do not know witch wheel to suggest but KS18L, Z10?, MSuper , KS18s    would likely be best.  

I am 6'3" 220 pounds.  I like the rugged, rough and tumble of KS16s and rock solid fast ride of MSuper.  But I am itching to buy the KS18L

11 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

Yes, As mrelwood said, Make a cover using a quilted furniture moving blanket.   They make a padded cover for the InMotion V8 and I was told that it works for the KS16 but they don't make anything for other wheels.  IMHO it would be worth the money to pay a seamstress $50 to make a cover.   The GotWay shells get scratched and gouged up real easy. The King Song shells are much tougher.  I do not know witch wheel to suggest but KS18L, Z10?, MSuper , KS18s    would likely be best.  

I am 6'3" 220 pounds.  I like the rugged, rough and tumble of KS16s and rock solid fast ride of MSuper.  But I am itching to buy the KS18L

IMHO it better to buy one of these foam from Aliexpress:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-Baby-Safe-Anti-Collision-Protection-Article-Thickening-Corner-Protection-LD789/32591767965.html

or if you cannot wait for 1 month shipping the go to Homedepot and find the thickest weatherstrip tape available and just stick it to your wheel like I do.

I only spend $10 for basically scratch proof and tumbling resistant protection for my wheel. The only thing is those strip are hard to take off and fugly as KS18L mud guard.

I bought something like this and works perfectly for my wheel:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/M-D-Building-Products-1-2-in-x-17-ft-Weatherstrip-Tape-02279/100353461

18 minutes ago, Kens said:

IMHO it better to buy one of these foam from Aliexpress:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-Baby-Safe-Anti-Collision-Protection-Article-Thickening-Corner-Protection-LD789/32591767965.html

or if you cannot wait for 1 month shipping the go to Homedepot and find the thickest weatherstrip tape available and just stick it to your wheel like I do.

I only spend $10 for basically scratch proof and tumbling resistant protection for my wheel. The only thing is those strip are hard to take off and fugly as KS18L mud guard.

I bought something like this and works perfectly for my wheel:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/M-D-Building-Products-1-2-in-x-17-ft-Weatherstrip-Tape-02279/100353461

HaHaa...FUgly as a KS18L mud guard !!,   I had not thought of using weather stripping.  That is a good idea.   I used that colorful stick on padding on my KS16s.  It only stayed on for three days and did not protect against rough asphalt. It took me an hour to get the sticky stuff off but it is still much better than nothing.   I put 16 foot of one inch wide automotive door  dent protector strip on my MSuper and still scratched it up. 

1 hour ago, RockyTop said:

It took me an hour to get the sticky stuff off

Next time you need to remove any tape or sticker resisue, search for Label Off. Unless it was a joyful hour for you, that’ll cut it down to below 10 mins.

Archived