Jump to content

Blowing a Fuse


Thai-lad
 Share

Recommended Posts

We all know that a chain is only as strong as the weakest link.  And fuses, by design, are supposed to be that link.  So including a fuse in a circuit should, if it's sized correctly, be the limiting factor for how much current the system can supply to the motor.  

 

Therefore I am wondering if the lower reported rate of repairs on Kingsong vs Gotway is due, at least in part, to the fact riders can replace their own fuses without returning the unit to the dealer?  And if this results in cutouts that the electronics might otherwise have been able to avoid (the fuse being the weakest link of the overall system). 

My question is how many riders have experienced a cutout due to a blown fuse vs how many Kingsong owners have had to replace the control board or baterry pack because the fuse didn't blow in time? Is the fuse doing its job?  Or more harm than good? 

What's everyone's opinion on that?  I ask because I'm looking to get my first EUC, and choosing a KS14 or KS16 seems like where I will end up. Are any other brands fused?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Thai-lad said:

What's everyone's opinion on that?  I ask because I'm looking to get my first EUC, and choosing a KS14 or KS16 seems like where I will end up. Are any other brands fused?

Inmotion have fuses, too. Gotways have none. Ninebot imo also not - at least my e+ had none...

My KS16B blew the fuse once, after the leg of the big capacitor broke - so i had to get a new motherboard anyway...

This capacitor leg problem happened with ?quite? some of the ?early? Ks16b.

No blown fuse or problem so far with ks16s. I also can not remember of any report here of ks16s or inmotion fuses blown.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Gotways got fuses.  They're called MOSFusETs.   :whistling:

Priceless...

Earlier Msupers even had a backup mechanism, ”fused cabling”.

 

On 6/29/2018 at 4:50 AM, Thai-lad said:

We all know that a chain is only as strong as the weakest link.  And fuses, by design, are supposed to be that link.  So including a fuse in a circuit should, if it's sized correctly, be the limiting factor for how much current the system can supply to the motor.  

What if they could be sized incorrectly? Perhaps the fuse could be sized so that it would not be the weakest link, but it would only blow if something else already burned? And the burned component would’ve caused the excessive current. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well you always have the option of replacing the fuse with a wire link, either soldered to the holder or inserted in place of the fuse.  In which case you might get the minor Gotway style battery meltdown that Marty experienced (if you're lucky as he was -- that could easily have turned into a burning ring of fire!).  Or, as Hunka cleverly put it, a blown MosFusET might be the end result.  On the other hand, if the current surge is only transient, the system might tolerate it and continue on normally.  So far I haven't seen any recent post where a blown fuse resulted in a faceplant.  Therefore, I'm guessing that the fuses are rarely triggered by riders, short of dunking the whole EUC in water or something similar.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/29/2018 at 9:04 AM, Chriull said:

Inmotion have fuses, too. Gotways have none. Ninebot imo also not - at least my e+ had none...

My KS16B blew the fuse once, after the leg of the big capacitor broke - so i had to get a new motherboard anyway...

This capacitor leg problem happened with ?quite? some of the ?early? Ks16b.

No blown fuse or problem so far with ks16s. I also can not remember of any report here of ks16s or inmotion fuses blown.

Exactly because of the same reason i also had a blown fuse on a 16b...and faceplanted nicely ?

First the capacitor leg burned...and makes the wheel a „sea ship“...stupidly i ride on and than the fuse blowed as without caps no board will work long. That was a common known failure of all Ks16b for board version 1.2. ![second batch or so) Version 1.3 without this prob then was sold since about Mai/June 2016......

For the S Series i did not hear of fuses ever blown...at least thats a very seldom fact.

And: On the S series the fuse system is also a security/redundance system par excellence.

Example:

My 18s has 5 fuses! 2 times 30A = 60A on the board...protecting the board from such failures like caps blown etc.

Then and in my view most important: the 18s has 3 paralled battery packs on a 1680wh version (420,420, 840)

These paralled system run into a mini Pcb with 3 times 40A fuses....protecting each Pack for itself.

When one of these packs blows a fuse...the other two are able to work on....so real redundancy for the battery system here.

On a wheel where a paralleled battery is not protcted like that...the number of packs doesnt help that much...because if one of these paralleled packs dies(BMS stops it or whatever) the other would stop working also...as the BMSs are also connected (bit without fuse) and if one stops the other would also (voltage difference between packs can lead to catastrophic failures).

What i want to say is...fuses might be a good security thing...not just a protection from board blow.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, US69 said:

Exactly because of the same reason i also had a blown fuse on a 16b...and faceplanted nicely ?

First the capacitor leg burned...and makes the wheel a „sea ship“...stupidly i ride on and than the fuse blowed as without caps no board will work long. That was a common known failure of all Ks16b for board version 1.2. ![second batch or so) Version 1.3 without this prob then was sold since about Mai/June 2016......

For the S Series i did not hear of fuses ever blown...at least thats a very seldom fact.

And: On the S series the fuse system is also a security/redundance system par excellence.

Example:

My 18s has 5 fuses! 2 times 30A = 60A on the board...protecting the board from such failures like caps blown etc.

Then and in my view most important: the 18s has 3 paralled battery packs on a 1680wh version (420,420, 840)

These paralled system run into a mini Pcb with 3 times 40A fuses....protecting each Pack for itself.

When one of these packs blows a fuse...the other two are able to work on....so real redundancy for the battery system here.

On a wheel where a paralleled battery is not protcted like that...the number of packs doesnt help that much...because if one of these paralleled packs dies(BMS stops it or whatever) the other would stop working also...as the BMSs are also connected (bit without fuse) and if one stops the other would also (voltage difference between packs can lead to catastrophic failures).

What i want to say is...fuses might be a good security thing...not just a protection from board blow.

ok i really hope this issue is fixed because my freind who is 97kg who went down a slight hill while braking the slightest bit. Burned the capacitor leg, and blew a resistor. Now the board is totally fried. So he got a new one. now i really hope this doesnt have the same issue

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Shad0z said:

ok i really hope this issue is fixed because my freind who is 97kg who went down a slight hill while braking the slightest bit. Burned the capacitor leg, and blew a resistor. Now the board is totally fried. So he got a new one. now i really hope this doesnt have the same issue

I think there is all Info in the thread...was only board version 1.2 on Ks16...not anymore produced since about june 2016

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/30/2018 at 9:08 AM, Thai-lad said:

So, my KS 14D has 40 AMP ATM fuse, and I the max that I could find is 30 AMP ATM Fuse. Should I use 30 AMP fuse until I get one from online or would that be a mistake? 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Ather said:

 

That same 40-amp fuse is used on all of their wheels. I know someone who used the 30-amp fuse on their 16B until they got some 40-amp fuses from China (something like $10 for 50).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, kasenutty said:

I used a 30 Amp fuse in a 14c just because I couldn't find a 40 and never had any problems, and I never looked for another one :)

Livin on the edge :efee6b18f3:

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Ather said:
17 hours ago, Ather said:

So, my KS 14D has 40 AMP ATM fuse, and I the max that I could find is 30 AMP ATM Fuse. Should I use 30 AMP fuse until I get one from online or would that be a mistake

 

The answer is:

16 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Livin on the edge :efee6b18f3:

I would NOT do it.....

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...