Hovershoes / e-skates

Circuitmage

https://www.engadget.com/2018/06/28/segway-eskates-drift-w1-announcement/

https://www.myinmotion.com/products/inmotion-hovershoes-x1

These things look really bad. I was peaked when Rocketskates had their Kickstarter, but after just a brief second thought...these are good ideas that just don't seem to have any practical value. Maybe on an indoor skating rink?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/28/2018 at 3:19 PM, Circuitmage said:

https://www.engadget.com/2018/06/28/segway-eskates-drift-w1-announcement/

https://www.myinmotion.com/products/inmotion-hovershoes-x1

These things look really bad. I was peaked when Rocketskates had their Kickstarter, but after just a brief second thought...these are good ideas that just don't seem to have any practical value. Maybe on an indoor skating rink?

Actually, the Segway Drift will dominate this space.

For the last mile transport with public transportation would fit nicely.  Or any sidewalk experience.

Ah, gotta love the forums,.... all negative speculation until actual legit user reports.

@eddiemoy just got a pair of InMotion X1 Hovershoes, and along with the Casey Neistat, iJustine, etc, reports, these 'hovershoes' go over small sidewalk cracks just fine (remember, you're splitting your weight between 2 mini-EUC's, so it's half the load on each, and both do not have to go over the same crack/obstacle at the same time... plus, the width is somewhere in the 10" range, much wider than our EUC's).

If you are expecting them to be EUC replacements @ 7-7.5 mph, you are sorely mistaken. These are leisure or smooth open space devices, sidewalks, airports, train stations, etc.

I just put in my pre-order for the Segway Drift W1's, so will report back when they arrive.

2 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Ah, gotta love the forums,.... all negative speculation until actual legit user reports.

@eddiemoy just got a pair of InMotion X1 Hovershoes, and along with the Casey Neistat, iJustine, etc, reports, these 'hovershoes' go over small sidewalk cracks just fine (remember, you're splitting your weight between 2 mini-EUC's, so it's half the load on each, and both do not have to go over the same crack/obstacle at the same time... plus, the width is somewhere in the 10" range, much wider than our EUC's).

If you are expecting them to be EUC replacements @ 7-7.5 mph, you are sorely mistaken. These are leisure or smooth open space devices, sidewalks, airports, train stations, etc.

I just put in my pre-order for the Segway Drift W1's, so will report back when they arrive.

I know what you're saying. These are like adult Heelys. But I can't imagine someone being allowed to ride these around inside public spaces, like train stations, airports, or a mall. I'd get yelled at by security SO fast.
If I did get a pair of these, I'd use them inside the mall all the time.

5 minutes ago, Esper said:

I know what you're saying. These are like adult Heelys. But I can't imagine someone being allowed to ride these around inside public spaces, like train stations, airports, or a mall. I'd get yelled at by security SO fast.
If I did get a pair of these, I'd use them inside the mall all the time.

You ride until they tell you to stop ?

I’m the cautious type myself, but I have NYC rider friends who literally never get off their much bigger EUCs, unless they get yelled at, going into stores, etc.

I will be testing the social limits with these W1’s, plus figuring out how to conceal the lights, to attract less attention.

26 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

I think they are fine for little girls. I can practically walk at 5 mph, NYC vintage speed walk, when the city used to be more dangerous to lollygag about.

That said, somethings are really just novelties and this seems like a pretty fun novelty, but not sure they are anything more than vacation fun. Fortunately they wont take up too much closet space.?

I run at least 6 miles daily, and my cold, out-of-bed, warm-up speed in the morning is around 7.5 mph (I know from my treadmill sessions).

If their estimated 45 min range is legit, this sure beats manual running and sweating in the summer, as a true last-mile device (let's face it, the majority of riders on this forum are FAR from last milers, what with the bigger-and-bigger battery sentiment).

I'm optimistic until proven in-the-field otherwise; I will not base my opinions based on mere couch quarterback speculation.

If I did that, I would still believe all the ? about how the Ninebot One Z was underpowered, ... blah blah blah.....

1 minute ago, Stan Onymous said:

I think they are fine for little girls. I can practically walk at 5 mph, NYC vintage speed walk, when the city used to be more dangerous to lollygag about.

That said, somethings are really just novelties and this seems like a pretty fun novelty, but not sure they are anything more than vacation fun. Fortunately they wont take up too much closet space.?

Speaking of. Do they run on disposable batteries? Or is it rechargable? Disposable might make travel by air with them in your bag easier.

33 minutes ago, Esper said:

Speaking of. Do they run on disposable batteries? Or is it rechargable? Disposable might make travel by air with them in your bag easier.

I also wondered about airline travel with the Segway Drift.

They seem to be small enough to pass airline battery constraints.

I think I tried to use my hoverboard (the first electric vehicle I ever owned) about half a dozen times, and had big problems with even small sidewalk cracks. I did, however, really enjoy riding it at the zoo and the botanical gardens because unlike an EUC you can just chill out in one spot. You do not have to get off the vehicle.

I think that's why I keep looking at the Ninebot Pro; it's a very touristy vehicle where you can stop and gawk without thinking of the vehicle. EUC's are more like, "get to your destination, find a place to stash it."

I can see Hovershoes being a much better version of Hoverboards; it looks like they go over bumps much better than my Hoverboard.

In the video, nothing good can come from, "I'm going to go at the top speed". That's bad enough on normal vehicles but will be especially bad on a self-balancing vehicle.

One interesting thing about riding a Hoverboard after quite some time on an EUC is that one is in no danger of looping it when one foot gets ahead of the other. Looping it is one of the most common Hoverboard crashes, at least on youtube. Probably as EUC we get used to treating the vehicle as a distinctive entity, and that translates very well to attached EUC such the Hoverboar. I'm guessing the Hovershoes forces people to treat the vehicles as separate entities from the get go.

I also suspect you can attack a string to one of these Hovershoes, turn off and flip the other one upside down, place it on the other shoe, and walk with it. It should simply stop when you stop pulling on the string.

5 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

I think I tried to use my hoverboard (the first electric vehicle I ever owned) about half a dozen times, and had big problems with even small sidewalk cracks. I did, however, really enjoy riding it at the zoo and the botanical gardens because unlike an EUC you can just chill out in one spot. You do not have to get off the vehicle.

I think that's why I keep looking at the Ninebot Pro; it's a very touristy vehicle where you can stop and gawk without thinking of the vehicle. EUC's are more like, "get to your destination, find a place to stash it."

I can see Hovershoes being a much better version of Hoverboards; it looks like they go over bumps much better than my Hoverboard.

In the video, nothing good can come from, "I'm going to go at the top speed". That's bad enough on normal vehicles but will be especially bad on a self-balancing vehicle.

Yes, cracks and sidewalk bumps could be an issue due to the small wheels.  On smooth pavements, as is more the case in recreational areas, it may be a fun ride.

Agreed that similar to the MiniPro, the Drift is built to stop/start easily in crowded areas.  This alone is a huge benefit for city sidewalks, especially during rush hours.

Speed is not the feature for the Drift, more so is agility in crowded spaces.

Archived