Segway S1 Tiltback? Is this a issue?

tscottn

Hey guys.  

Well not sure if anyone read my last (and first ) post but today I finally got the courage to leave my driveway. I drove down to a dead end street in my neighborhood, unloaded my wheel and really started to have some fun.  I was able to really control the wheel for the most part with nice smooth left and right turns. My mounts are getting so much better today then they were yesterday, albeit somewhat awkward still but such a improvement,. The dismount is still a little rough and thank god I am still using the strap, but a had a few nice dismounts that really turned out very well.  

So here is why I am making this post, I would love to get a few answers to this. I did search the forums and I think I got some god information but excuse me if this topic is redundant...

So I was riding my fully charged new S1, and the place I was riding has a slight incline/decline depending on which way you are going but certainly not a steep gradient at all.  very slight.  the temp today was about 100 F and I only weigh about 170lbs.    As I am riding I am usually getting the beeps for the speed limit, and then if I dont slow down fast enough the unit will start a slight tilt back.  (No big deal.)  But.. then out of nowhere the unit beeps and does a much more aggressive tilt-back on the incline portion of the road..  I felt like I was going to fall off so I just jumped off and let the unit go..  The tilt-back was very aggressive.

This happened two more times during my session, but the two other times I was able to stay on and ride it out.  Not very very fun for a new rider..  So mu question is, is this aggressive tilt back caused by speed/ temp/ charge etc?  after it happened I looked at the app and still had 9 mi left to ride on the battery was at about 60%, the unit temp was showing about 130 DEG F , and my average speed was 9mph.  The more aggressive tilt back I dont feel was from a speed thing, but more from a power issue of some sort..  What do you guys think about this..?  is this a normal issue with the S1?  Thanks for any feedback you can give..

1 hour ago, tscottn said:

As I am riding I am usually getting the beeps for the speed limit, and then if I dont slow down fast enough the unit will start a slight tilt back.  (No big deal.) 

Once the speed limit alarm beeps it should be enough to keep the actual speed - no need to slow down?

1 hour ago, tscottn said:

But.. then out of nowhere the unit beeps and does a much more aggressive tilt-back on the incline portion of the road..  I felt like I was going to fall off so I just jumped off and let the unit go..  The tilt-back was very aggressive.

This happened two more times during my session, but the two other times I was able to stay on and ride it out.  Not very very fun for a new rider..  So mu question is, is this aggressive tilt back caused by speed/ temp/ charge etc?  after it happened I looked at the app and still had 9 mi left to ride on the battery was at about 60%, the unit temp was showing about 130 DEG F , and my average speed was 9mph.  The more aggressive tilt back I dont feel was from a speed thing, but more from a power issue of some sort..  What do you guys think about this..?  is this a normal issue with the S1?  Thanks for any feedback you can give..

An incline is quite some stress for the wheel. The battery voltage goes down (charge percent is proportional to the voltage) and by this most wheels reduce the max speed limit. So if one drives on the flat part at a speed below the speed limit and continoues with this speed up an incline by the voltage sag one can be suddenly driving above the new reduced speed limit -> the wheel kicks in the tiltback as hard as possible. 

This load voltage sag recovers quite immedeately once the burden is gone, so with the 60% shown afterwards you could have had something like 40% inbetween.

The less Wh (more exactly the number of parallel cells in the battery back) the stronger some burden causes such a voltage sag. It also gets stronger once batteries get empty (imo) or are already "stressed".

Imo by now no firmware has "intelligent" tickbacks so there are some situations leading to such aggressive tilbacks. (Mostly hard accelerations)

So this "low power" wheel could be more appropriate for your daughters (weight has a huge impact on this voltage sag) and you look out for a wheel with at least 4 cells in parallel (~>680 Wh) - or just drive more carefull and respect the wheels limits and oddities.

Also overtemp triggers (quite aggressive) tiltbacks if one ignores the temp alarm beeps. Also then the wheel will just shut down if one does not stop after this tiltback! Since the temperature needs more time to go up and down i'd assume that was not the reason in your case. Also you should have noted some wild beeping before...

Ps.: Could also be that your S1's batteries are not in the best state? There are some reports of S1's with just one battery pack working...

On mine, the lower the battery gets, the sooner tiltback starts.  And the faster the acceleration to tiltback speed the stronger the tiltback.  I've had the quick tiltback a few times, not fun.  Gradually hitting top speed the tiltback is pretty mild and manageable.  

Do you ride with the app on so you can check the speed while riding?  It really helps to avoid tiltback if you can monitor your speed,  plus it helps build up a feel for the speed even without using the app.

At 60% your top speed is going to be less than it was at full charge.  That can take you by surprise, but you will get accustomed to it with more time riding.  

Also, check both batteries in the app and see if they are almost identical in charge.  If one is showing a large difference from the other,  you might contact Ninebot for warranty assistance.  From your post though, it seems the S1 is operating normally.

Thank you @Chriull for the great answers to my questions.  I really do appreciate it.  I am now more aware of what is right and wrong and with knowledgeable people like yourself and others on this forum it makes it a great resource for new comers like myself. 

Archived