KS18L pedals on KS16S

Gus

The Kingsong 16S is for me a truly tremendously nice upgrade for medium length trips.

I’ll still use my Ips i5 for short and quick bursts to the grocery store and for fun, practicing tricks and skill.

There’s really only one big issue for mr bigfoot here - the pedal length / size

Fellas, what are my options to solve this ?

Aren’t the 18L pedals the same as on the 16S?

The only difficult bit is just getting the fitting right for the pedals on the model. Surely the machining time wouldn’t be very long because they’re a pretty basic object? I wonder what the estimated price would be. 

4 minutes ago, Kael said:

Aren’t the 18L pedals the same as on the 16S?

The only difficult bit is just getting the fitting right for the pedals on the model. Surely the machining time wouldn’t be very long because they’re a pretty basic object? I wonder what the estimated price would be. 

$40 - $100 dollars an hour plus material.   Some high schools will do it for a donation.  (Vocational or Tech)

3 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

Is this the famous Mrelwood wheel that I see on  the DarknessBot app? 

Hehee, it is! Didn't know it was famous though. My position on the list would be far far worse without these properly sized pedals.

1 hour ago, mrelwood said:

7096DBFF-B5A3-4B5A-9480-20D4EEF02B1E.thumb.jpeg.53fb800bc260dcbd34de1c8eccf3994b.jpegA8A49B00-F077-4658-A46D-0CAE1FB33620.thumb.jpeg.711c19a5f430bb1d46bba545b144f389.jpeg

1-word review from an EU46 shoed 95kg guy:

Heaven.

Edit: Cost about 10€ + personal labour.

Is that stable on the outer edges? Lol that actually looks like a good idea. If you fancy making a guide....

12 minutes ago, Kael said:

Is that stable on the outer edges?

This is V2, and it is. V1 wasn't. This has two plates of aluminium screwed together at 12 spots successfully preventing bending. V1 had one plate supported with L-shaped bars all around, but it still got bent.

12 minutes ago, Kael said:

Lol that actually looks like a good idea. If you fancy making a guide....

Here you go:

1. Hack-saw 4 plates to shape, 2 right ones, 2 left ones.
  2. Drill (and make threads if you fancy) and screw them tight here and there.
  3. Cut the screws at the opposite side. Leave 2-3mm for studs that grip even thru wet sand.
  4. Smooth the plate edges.
  5. Use original top plate as a guide to mark and drill holes for the main screws.
  6. Use longer M4 main screws than the original. OR:
  7. I suggest drilling the 4 main holes through at the pedal frame and making threads for thicker M5 bolts.

Done!

40 minutes ago, Kael said:

Studs? Is that not grip tape you’ve applied to the top side? What material did you use? How thick is it? Dimensions? Is that the optimum size or did you wing it?

V1 had studs that worked great even after walking on wet sand. On V2 I did cut the screws a bit too short to work as studs.

That is grip tape, but it is too fine for my liking. I already bought a fabric based grit 40 sanding sheet that I will glue on instead.

The aluminium sheet is a diamond figured ”turk plate” (don’t know what it’s called in English), thickness is 2mm + 2mm raised sections. I just added a few cm on each side, and stylized it a bit. My battery extension forces a wider stand so the width is probably excessive for others.

KS pedals mode for EU48 shoed 94kg guy ?

2,5mm duraluminium sheet material . I fixed the pedal KS pedals with orignal screws ( They are hiding under the slip resistant sandpaper ).

To make the connection correct on the edges, I added the glass glue to the edge ?

20180701_124758.jpg

2018-07-01 12.58.38.jpg

2018-07-01 12.55.56.jpg

2018-07-01 12.57.01.jpg

Slightly unrelated, but speaking of borrowing from the 18L to improve the 16S...

Someone may have mentioned that KS might be working on increasing the size of their battery compartments.

However, it seems to me that you could take the 20S4P battery compartment of the 18L and use this as a 16S5P compartment on a 16S. You would still have to use the lower voltage of previous Kingsongs, but your would gain 25% more range. (It's the same amount of batteries, just a different wiring configuration.)

Is this possible, or is it way more complicated than I make it out to be?

7 hours ago, RayRay said:

However, it seems to me that you could take the 20S4P battery compartment of the 18L and use this as a 16S5P compartment on a 16S.

I suppose by "battery compartment" you mean battery pack. If you mean that the manufacturer could make a KS-16S with more than 840Wh, technically of course, but I don't see how it has anything to do with the 18L. 16S5P packs existed before the 18L. And there is no room for a bigger battery pack in the KS-16S.

If you mean that the end user could purchase a KS-18L spare battery pack and put it in a KS-16S, one would have to completely disassemble the pack, then purchase a 67.2V BMS, then rebuild a 67.2V battery pack. Horrible amount of work and no point, since it would be a lot easier to just purchase the separate cells. And, a 16S5P pack still wouldn't fit in a KS-16S.

I have installed 16 additional battery cells in my KS-16S, and to fit them one has to extend the outer shell battery bulge, and still scatter the cells around in order to make them fit.

On 6/29/2018 at 8:59 PM, mrelwood said:

This has two plates of aluminium screwed together at 12 spots successfully preventing bending.

News on my pedal extensions. Yesterday morning I rode into a hole while braking hard, having more weight on my right foot. So the worst possible scenario for the pedal extensions. And the right pedal extension did bend slightly at the heel after all. I'm in the middle of making support L-bars for these pedals as well. Now I also have 40 grit sanding sheets for the grip, and so far it feels lovely! Compared to a finer grip tape in a roll, a 40 grit sheet is absolutely the way to go!

16 hours ago, mrelwood said:

I suppose by "battery compartment" you mean battery pack.

All I meant by 'battery compartment' was 'empty space for holding batteries'. My observation was that the 16S and 18L shells are are very similar, but an 18L shell can hold 80 batteries (because it is fatter). My thought was that Kingsong (not us) could put a 67.2V BMS in their 18L shell (along with 16S hub motor). Then all they would need to do is rewire into a 16S5P configuration... (Why not?) :P

It would be less of a mod and more a 'parts bin' product to save on production and engineering costs. (The auto industry does this all the time).

All I meant by 'battery compartment' was 'empty space for holding batteries'. My observation was that the 16S and 18L shells are are very similar, but an 18L shell can hold 80 batteries (because it is fatter).

The 16S has a bulge in the outer shell and a tub in the inner shell to fit two battery layers on top of eachother, and the battery pack fills the whole compartment. The 18L has a more shallow compartment and only fits one layer of batteries.

(Why not?) :P

It would be less of a mod and more a 'parts bin' product to save on production and engineering costs. (The auto industry does this all the time).

It would need a new shell design, which is very expensive.

My pedal extensions now have a support bar to further help eliminate bending:

70DCE39D-E8B8-4AB8-AF44-8C1E6357A65F.thumb.jpeg.59038d449c61481fcafbf64871d1663c.jpegDC7CCCDC-63E9-40FD-A896-1E19B0B5524A.thumb.jpeg.48b0fdff6b71a6cbf89209cfc563527e.jpeg

The grip tape grit was on the finer side, but I really like the no-compromises feel on the 40 grit sanding sheet!

B05F9F63-0426-44F6-BBC2-3D18EDE2883B.thumb.jpeg.310d46e7d7a639da26aa0d2d04bf0ce8.jpeg

• 1 month later...

I appreciate the home-makeovers @mrelwood and @Raptor. I’m just not that guy, I rather just put my dollars on and support a company who take all feet in consideration. Bad sized pedals kills the overall comfort and confidence of the riding experience imo. Why not offer XL pedals, at least as a add on? No doubt that would be a winwinwin for both the customer; dealer AND manufacturers. 

@tinawong, I very much believe that Kingsong can attract a larger audience of customers if they’d offer larger sized pedals for those.

To design, create, produce and sell a larger pedal option - Would that be a crazy idea? 

Sincerely

Archived