Jump to content

Requesting points of view and suggestions on next purchase


Catlord17
 Share

Recommended Posts

Okay, so my wheel is out for repairs and it looks like it's going to be a minute because they're waiting on parts.

And I'm suffering horribly at the withdrawals.  

And soon, I'm going to finish a custom job that will give me enough to buy a new wheel.

I've ruled out the Z10 and KS-18L for reasons that I'm not willing to compromise on.  So it's a choice between the KS-18S, MSuper V3s+ 2kW and the MSuper X.  My current thinking is...

The KS gives me a comfortable seat and diversity of brands, which theoretically makes for a better arsenal in terms of less likely to have both wheels down at once, plus KS has a better reputation for quality.  The drawback is the 1500 W motor compared to the other options, the speed unlock after X miles (not really an issue because I don't usually go above 25 mph) and I am not sure but I think I understand that KS limits speed according to battery percentage starting at 50%?  Can someone clarify that for me on the KS-18S?

The MSuper V3s+ gives me a wheel I am already familiar with the ergonomics of, 1600 Wh battery and a more powerful motor than before. The down side is, the potential for over-tightening the screws accidentally, crappy inflation valve placement, it not having as good a control board as the MSuper X, no realistic seat vs KS-18S and the question of "Will this wheel go down for the same reason as my other one?"  The MSuper V3s+ is overall an excellent wheel, and I am sure my first one is a fluke, but still...

The MSuper X is a 2k motor, 1600 WH battery and has more lights for better visibility, better build quality and better components, but downside is it's (IMHO) ugly as hell, wider than the V3s+.  Not seated riding.  Not sure if the tire dimensions are advertising or actually changed, and not sure if that is a good thing or not.

Can you guys offer me your points of view on what is what and why you would choose what you would choose?  The more points of view I have to consider, the more likely I am to make the choice that is best for me because I have considered more things.

Much appreciated!  Thank you.

Edited by Catlord17
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I could be wrong, but I think Jason from E-Wheels said the MSuper X comes with a seat. This was in the Duf/Marty livestream, and Jason was in the comments, but I could be mistranslating what was said.

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So the KS18S has developed a few black marks, being the speed limiting when the battery goes below 50%, the beeping starting so early on a low battery, the fact that it has fuses and how difficult it is to access the fuse. I think that rules it out. 

Between the MSuper V3s+ and the X, the X wins on better build quality overall.  So I guess that's the game.  Looks like I'm getting an MSuper X next.

That video was really helpful in making this choice, so thanks to Scouts Honor for posting it and Duff and Marty for the video itself. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've had a KS18s for a while now and never heard a beep, noticed a speed limiting, or had a fuse issue. I've driven it in absolute downpours, near-zero celcius days, etc and never had an issue. i ride it daily, everywhere and have 2,667km on it currently with nary an issue (so far). I don't ride it easy, but I don't go offroading either, I do hard, sometimes bumpy city riding.

I wish it had a 2kw motor and I'd be very happy with it, though I never hit the speed limit anyway, I'd just like more acceleration/harder braking.

That said, I'd go with the MSX probably in your shoes, as it has all the latest improvements, large battery, 2kw motor, and that big beautiful fat tire.

I wouldn't buy a 1500w motor 18" wheel these days, that's OG. Everybody's into 2k now!:efeffe9e4a:

Edited by Hatchet
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jason has said several times that the MSX comes with a seat.  

I think that the newest MSv3s+  has the same wheel, motor , control board and batteries as the MSX.  I can hear the fans running in it.  I think the last MSv3s+ 2000 watt was kinda an inbetween model.  The tire is .75 inches taller and .5 inches wider on the MSX.  They call it a 19inch wheel but the actual wheel is the same with a bigger tire.   I would still get the MSX

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

I think that the newest MSv3s+  has the same wheel, motor , control board and batteries as the MSX.

I don't think so.

Pretty sure the msuper X is simply the successor of the msuper V3. There's the original V3 (1500W motor), the Teslaized in-between update (including a new tiny fan, just like the Tesla-ized ACM), and now this update (testbed?) has been replaced by the X. While there seems to have been a minor mosfet update from the pre-Tesla wheels to the Tesla and later wheels (Teslaized ACM and ms3), looks like the msX and Monster 100V boards are another new step with much fatter mosfets, bigger board with new layout, etc. Can anyone confirm?

They should just have called it msuper V4. But apparently everything has to be X when the iPhone is.

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

I don't think so.

Pretty sure the msuper X is simply the successor of the msuper V3. There's the original V3 (1500W motor), the Teslaized in-between update (including a new tiny fan, just like the Tesla-ized ACM), and now this update (testbed?) has been replaced by the X. While there seems to have been a minor mosfet update from the pre-Tesla wheels to the Tesla and later wheels (Teslaized ACM and ms3), looks like the msX and Monster 100V boards are another new step with much fatter mosfets, bigger board with new layout, etc. Can anyone confirm?

They should just have called it msuper V4. But apparently everything has to be X when the iPhone is.

You are correct.  I just took my wheel apart to see.  It seems to have bigger mofits and bigger heat sinks and a fan but not the same as the MSX.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RockyTop said:

Jason has said several times that the MSX comes with a seat.  

I think that the newest MSv3s+  has the same wheel, motor , control board and batteries as the MSX.  I can hear the fans running in it.  I think the last MSv3s+ 2000 watt was kinda an inbetween model.  The tire is .75 inches taller and .5 inches wider on the MSX.  They call it a 19inch wheel but the actual wheel is the same with a bigger tire.   I would still get the MSX

I have the seat for the V3s+. It seems like a kludge at best. Didn't seem realistically useful. Then again, if I'm being honest, I didn't really give it much of a try. Guess I'll have to try the MSuper X seated.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Catlord17 said:

I have the seat for the V3s+. It seems like a kludge at best. Didn't seem realistically useful. Then again, if I'm being honest, I didn't really give it much of a try. Guess I'll have to try the MSuper X seated.

I tried to ride seated once or twice but seem to be at a disadvantage given my size.  It was easier for me to put my knees on the pedals while sitting and have my toes drag behind me.  It was not the safest position but got quit a few laughs.  I was thinking about making a seat that sat about 10 inches above the top of the wheel and clipped onto the pedals but have not cared enough to do it yet.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

I don't think so.

Pretty sure the msuper X is simply the successor of the msuper V3. There's the original V3 (1500W motor), the Teslaized in-between update (including a new tiny fan, just like the Tesla-ized ACM), and now this update (testbed?) has been replaced by the X. While there seems to have been a minor mosfet update from the pre-Tesla wheels to the Tesla and later wheels (Teslaized ACM and ms3), looks like the msX and Monster 100V boards are another new step with much fatter mosfets, bigger board with new layout, etc. Can anyone confirm?

They should just have called it msuper V4. But apparently everything has to be X when the iPhone is.

They'll call the next MSuper "V4", just to mess with us

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, RockyTop said:

You are correct.  I just took my wheel apart to see.  It seems to have bigger mofits and bigger heat sinks and a fan but not the same as the MSX.  

Oh you have one, cool! (Losing track of who has what here, too many people:efef62fc70:) I was very close to buying one for a while, such a nice upgrade.

What do you mean by bigger heat sink? The aluminium plate the board is screwed to? Didn't know this was bigger on the Teslaized version, thought it was a board+motor update only.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Oh you have one, cool! (Losing track of who has what here, too many people:efef62fc70:) I was very close to buying one for a while, such a nice upgrade.

What do you mean by bigger heat sink? The aluminium plate the board is screwed to? Didn't know this was bigger on the Teslaized version, thought it was a board+motor update only.

The edges of the aluminum plate and added fan mount plus the top mofit mount plate look bigger but after looking at several versions of the MSuper boards I might have been comparing it to an even older MSuper board.  

But looking on eWheels I could not find one like it.   Like implied It seems to be between the MSv3s+ and Tesla board. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...