Thanks Apple and iOS 11 for taking away my favorite iPhone 6 keyboard.

I’m using Gboard right now as it's the closest thing I have to my original iPhone 6 keyboard after upgrading to iOS 11.  I usually use landscape when typing so it's nice to have the arrow keys and close keyboard buttons handy.  This is what I got now.

38_EF261_A-1_ED7-4_FA1-_B292-16_ADE73_AD

It’s not like there isn’t space for the keys.  They just got rid of them.  :rolleyes:

I’ve been holding off on updating from 10.2.1 for the longest time, and sure enough the main thing I liked was ruined!  Ugh.  The good thing about the old keyboard too was that it didn't cover up a lot of the screen.  SwiftKeys and Gboard take up 2/3s.  Add to that the stupid touch disease on a two year old phone, and I'm almost ready to toss this out the window.  :furious:

Gboard (Google keyboard) is very similar to the original iPhone one, but the top part of it eats up screen space.  The original was small, had most things I needed, and arrow keys.  Why not just let people toggle the keyboards if they want?  I've seen a lot of postings online with people complaining about it.  Why fix it when it wasn't broken?

TBH I don't really know what you are talking about, as I never use my phone in landscape to type, so I have no idea what the keyboard looked like. For me those devices aren't really made for landscape mode.

4 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Why fix it when it wasn't broken?

Won't be the first nor the last time this happens. Typical "we know what's best for you" Apple.

:blink:  Copy and paste buttons?  Maybe I missed something between 10.2.1 and 11.ugh.  Here's a stock photo of what mine used to look like:

img_0147-jpg.711321

With the touch disease the undo button was a pain as it would trigger all by itself after typing a long reply.  :crying:  At some points I thought my phone was possessed as it would start typing messages on its own like someone sending me a message from the other side... :blink: Don't get me started on "Buy it now" buttons.. nOOoOOoo I didn't really want to buy that 16 in 1 veggie peeler/tosser/scraper/french fryer!!!

Otherwise it worked for me.  The period and comma were on there.  Now I have to change screens to add a comma or a period?  Hey I'm just gonna write without any comma's from now on take that Apple!

And geez, am I and nte the only ones who type in landscape mode?  I've had some other people mention that too.  Very weird.

2 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Otherwise it worked for me.  The period and comma were on there.  Now I have to change screens to add a comma or a period?  Hey I'm just gonna write without any comma's from now on take that Apple!

Period can be typed by tapping the spacebar twice.

There's still room dammit!  :furious:

42 minutes ago, nte said:

I wonder if those blank spots are "rest areas"? an input-less  area where thumbs can grip the phone.

If people's fingers are getting tired typing on an iPhone, I think there are more serious problems to attend to.  :blink:

36 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

Period can be typed by tapping the spacebar twice.

Gawd I hate that feature.  I'm a double spacer after a period person so that was one of the first things I turned off.  That plus auto-correct.  Who needs auto-correct when you're perfect?  :efefd0f676:  That plus it interferes when you just want to make up imaginary words from the wordolator in your mind.  :ph34r:

I bet Steve Jobs is rolling in his grave...

3 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

If people's fingers are getting tired typing on an iPhone, I think there are more serious problems to attend to.  :blink:

Gawd I hate that feature.  I'm a double spacer after a period person so that was one of the first things I turned off.  That plus auto-correct.  Who needs auto-correct when you're perfect?  :efefd0f676:  That plus it interferes when you just want to make up imaginary words from the wordolator in your mind.  :ph34r:

So the next iPhone will have a larger screen?  :dribble:

On 6/29/2018 at 2:08 AM, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

He should be, knowing that there are people that put 2 spaces at the end of a sentence, for no reason whatsoever. ? 

• 3 months later...

I got an Android phone.  The landscape is even worse!  When the keyboard pops up it takes over the majority of the screen so you can barely see the input field.  Even with the add on keyboards it’s not good for us landscapers.

Anyone else accidentally hitting that darn microphone key instead of the delete key on their iPhone now?  It used to be in the top left corner out of the way!

BTW @winter why all the covert deleting :ph34r:?  You don’t work for Apple, do you?  

Archived