Best EUC for Newb coming from Evolve GTX Skateboard over 50yo

I'm 52 and have an Evolve GTX electric skateboard all-terrain. I'd like to get an EUC. Was looking at the Solowheel Glide 3 because it is a good deal and "seems" ok in most respects. I don't ride the Evolve very often at top speed.

The EUCs seem muck more off-road capable and most likely more durable than an e-board.

Looking around though, it seems the Solowoheel is going to be a long-term less fun and safe ride compared to a KingSong wheel (16S for instance). Solowheel seems to be selling a legacy product that hasn't kept up. What do you think is best for someone like me?

Welcome to the forum. EUC's are great fun and very capable off orad due to their power and wheel size.

No one can provide reliable input to you without further data from yourself.

What is your weight? How far do you want to be able to ride? Will you only ride off-road? What kind of off-road? Is your local area hilly or flat? Do you need to carry it up flights of stairs to an apartment? Do you want to take it on busses or trains? Do you have any medical condition that prevents you from lifing heavy objects? What is your budget after allowing for the purchase of recommended minimum safety gear (full-face helmet, wrist, elbow, and knee guards)? Tell us as much about yourself and your expected usage and we can then provide some help. 

200 lbs. I'm in Seattle which has massive hills but I am going to be moving around the country on our way to Florida over the next 6 months. No medical conditions. 

Think of me as 35 years old even though I am 52! I was riding an Evolve Skateboard. Price - $800-$1,300.

What's your weight?

The Inmotion V8 (Solowheel Glide 3 in the U.S.) is a good wheel, but the 800W motor and small battery (2 parallel cell blocks) on a 16 incher is too weak for today's standards (my opinion). You'll like it (or any other wheel) as your first, but probably will want to upgrade very soon should you get one.

And as @WARPed1701D says, we need to know how you think you want to use the wheel, your ideas and fantasies, before we can tell you which wheel is the best for you (if there is such a thing as a best wheel).

30 minutes ago, dw8928 said:

200 lbs. I'm in Seattle which has massive hills but I am going to be moving around the country on our way to Florida over the next 6 months. No medical conditions. 

Think of me as 35 years old even though I am 52! I was riding an Evolve Skateboard. Price - $800-$1,300.

If you ride an Evolve e-board, then at ~ $1300 range the Gotway ACM2 with the 1300wh battery is the greatest performer. The King Song KS16S has "Boosted Board" speed and good range and better build quality. The Gotway Tesla may have more desirable styling, but it cost $1450. Otherwise the next price jump is in the $1600 range. All of the above boards mentioned will have range equal to or greater than the Evolve GTX.

Just now, Jerome said:

If you ride an Evolve e-board, then at ~ $1300 range the Gotway ACM2 with the 1300wh battery is the greatest performer. The King Song KS16S has "Boosted Board" speed and good range and better build quality. The Gotway Tesla may have more desirable styling, but it cost $1450. Otherwise the next price jump is in the $1600 range. All of the above board mentioned will have range equal to or greater than the Evolve GTX.

How is Gotway quality? I've read they have durability problems - esp if learning to ride. I'm leaning more toward the KS16S - 1) Great build quality? 2) Power is more important than range to me. The Evolve GTX has great range but I mostly just didn't want to worry about range as opposed to actually using the range. I also didn't want the battery sag of smaller battery packs. 

52 minutes ago, dw8928 said:

I'm 52 and have an Evolve GTX electric skateboard all-terrain. I'd like to get an EUC. Was looking at the Solowheel Glide 3 because it is a good deal and "seems" ok in most respects. I don't ride the Evolve very often at top speed.

The EUCs seem muck more off-road capable and most likely more durable than an e-board.

Looking around though, it seems the Solowoheel is going to be a long-term less fun and safe ride compared to a KingSong wheel (16S for instance). Solowheel seems to be selling a legacy product that hasn't kept up. What do you think is best for someone like me?

You will love the V8 Glide 3. It is durable and can take a skidding across the pavement, tell you “ be careful” and just keep on going and going. It is rather light at 30 lbs and that makes it very fun on the trails for a skateboarder who is used to throwing his board around.

the feel of the V8 /Glide 3  is light and manuverable. The trolley handle is very nifty and the motor disengagement button is genius for carrying it up steps. The fenders act like kick stands, and the headlights are decent enough to ride at night. If you get it fom Solowheel, ask them for a tyre with tread instead of the worn down tyre they think will not rub on the fender. I had the larger sized tyre and it only rubs for about a 100 miles before you rub it off yourself, keeping most of the tread. The V8 is a great vehicle, but you may like the KS16s too

the KS16s has more speed, 22.5 mph as opposed to 20 mph for the V8. The KS16s can make it 30-40 miles depending on your ride, ie hills, speed, wind and some say weight. The KS16 is almost 10 lbs heavier, and even with an extra battery, the V8 is still over two pounds lighter. It has bluetooth speakers which are more fun than I thought they would be. It also has no motor disengagement button so stairs need a shutdown and restart. I have seen many members using the KS16s like a skateboard with tricks and throwing it around or spinning it and hopping on et al.

The V8 is cheaper to buy and since you will still want another one no matter which one you choose, follow your whims.

The V8 is a great wheel for someone that is 120 pounds..........That’s all I have to say about that. 

Off road ? 200 pounds..... I love my KS16s but if I wanted an off road wheel I would prefer an 18 wheel.  I know it is more than you want to spend but I would get the KS18L.  IMHO,  I think it is going to become the new best off road wheel.  You also have the GotWay MSuper X.  I love GotWay but the shell is not going to take the damage as well off road.   

The ACM2 and KS16s would be my other choices.   I am glad I am not having to make this decision.  

Have Fun!

I have to disagree with an 18” wheel for offroad. It is ridiculously heavy when you are bouncing around gullies and rocks. I do not really get as much out of my 18” KS18s than I can get out of my V8. The V8 is much easier to ride along the edge of a cliff without worry. The KS18 is too unwieldy to manage that type of precision. It can do it sure, but you will feel much better traversing that type of terrain on a V8 or KS18.

the 18” wheel bounces much more than the 16” KS and V8 over bumpy terrain. The V8 is very capable no matter what your weight. Thats why its top speed is 20 mph. It is capable of 2kw power surges without fuss. That will get you around fine.

An 18” wheel is better for road travel than off road travel. Not that it cant do offroading, but you will be happier starting off on the V8 or KS16, because they will be easier to throw around the trails

39 minutes ago, Stan Onymous said:

You will love the V8 Glide 3. It is durable and can take a skidding across the pavement, tell you “ be careful” and just keep on going and going. It is rather light at 30 lbs and that makes it very fun on the trails for a skateboarder who is used to throwing his board around.

the feel of the V8 /Glide 3  is light and manuverable. The trolley handle is very nifty and the motor disengagement button is genius for carrying it up steps. The fenders act like kick stands, and the headlights are decent enough to ride at night. If you get it fom Solowheel, ask them for a tyre with tread instead of the worn down tyre they think will not rub on the fender. I had the larger sized tyre and it only rubs for about a 100 miles before you rub it off yourself, keeping most of the tread. The V8 is a great vehicle, but you may like the KS16s too

the KS16s has more speed, 22.5 mph as opposed to 20 mph for the V8. The KS16s can make it 30-40 miles depending on your ride, ie hills, speed, wind and some say weight. The KS16 is almost 10 lbs heavier, and even with an extra battery, the V8 is still over two pounds lighter. It has bluetooth speakers which are more fun than I thought they would be. It also has no motor disengagement button so stairs need a shutdown and restart. I have seen many members using the KS16s like a skateboard with tricks and throwing it around or spinning it and hopping on et al.

The V8 is cheaper to buy and since you will still want another one no matter which one you choose, follow your whims.

The KS16S can maybe go 22-mph (with wind on your back) for the first few miles, then the speed throttling will start to kick in. But it's a great wheel and highly recommended over the V8 for someone of your (@dw8928) stature. I know Bill doesn't believe rider weight has any bearing on the rideability of a wheel, but he's in a distinct minority.

I'm a firm believer in science and engineering. Put weight on one axis and speed/acceleration/range/safety on the other axis and you will see a distinct decrease in the related performance as the total weight increases.You're not a lightweight asian guy like the testers in China. You appear to be a typical Westerner which means the wheel spec's don't apply to you. Use the wisdom of the crowds (this Forum) to help form your opinion. Besides reading the responses here, please read the prior posts here which are almost identical to yours. We've discussed your questions many time before.

Don't buy a V8. This is 2018. The V8 is a good wheel, but old technology. If you can swing the extra cash, buy the V10F instead of the KS16S. But unfortunately the Inmotion pricing strategy will continue to make it a hard sell over the KingSong product line. Plus, the V10 series is in very short supply and is experiencing teething problems because it's not a mature product line yet. The KS 'S' series is very mature.

49 minutes ago, Stan Onymous said:

the 18” wheel bounces much more than the 16” KS and V8 over bumpy terrain. The V8 is very capable no matter what your weight. Thats why its top speed is 20 mph. It is capable of 2kw power surges without fuss. That will get you around fine.

Oh really? It's rated at 18.6 mph top speed. And who wants to ride at tilt-back for long periods of time. I was told that weight was very significant with the V8 by dealers and users on this forum. The KS16S is a good choice. The V8 is not a KS16S by any stretch of the imagination with half the battery and 50% less power.

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

Don't buy a V8. This is 2018.

:efefe00999:

--

Latest 16 inchers:

• Kingsong S16S (a year old now, but still great)
  • Inmotion V10(F)
  • Gotway ACM2 or Tesla (most power and wheel/money is the ACM2)

Latest 18 inchers:

• Gotway msuper X
  • Kingsong KS18L (and KS18S)
  • maybe the Ninebot One Z10 (unknown quantity for now, not yet released)

Go by the form factor and looks that feel right. For your price ideas, looks like 16 inchers make more sense. If you can deal with the bare-bones ACM2, it's the fastest, most powerful, biggest battery one. 16S and V10(F) are slicker alternatives with more features (handle, looks, ...).

Considering flat Florida, I guess you will eventually prefer a bit more speed to mountain climbing abilities. That's why 18 inchers may not be a bad idea.

Check ewheels.com for an overview of what's available.

I would only take advice from an owner of the vehicle being recommended.

The V8 does 20mph on the new InMotion app and Darknessbot and the Solowheel app. It is the most fun you will have on a unicycle. These Anvil riders wouldnt know fun if it was riding right next to them. Their only fun with a Gotway is the fact that it hasnt murdered them yet.

When Marty says Gotway this or Gotway that, what he is really saying is “it hasn't murdered me yet or fallen apart while riding it and that feels so invigorating” 

You are heavy I take it. Lots of good heavy people learned how to ride on less powered EUCs than the V8. If you want to do lifts and jumps, like a skateboard the only EUC that will stop the wheel while in mid air tricks is the Inmotion line. This is important, because if you try that with any other line it will spin itself into a shutdown. Not sure that 1200w is twice as much power as 800w infact its only 50% more but the maximum outputs are nearly the same. This means it is safe. You want a starter EUC that you can always use when you go onto the next one. The V8 is priced right, and unlike these other Fan boys of Gotway, I am willing to put my money where my mouth is. I will buy your V8 or Glide three for $100 less than you paid and pay for the shipping to me if you dont absolutely love the V8. You must be honest. All they will do is talk you into your untimely demise, and they should feel ashamed of themselves for wishing that on you.

The KS16s is a good choice too for a beginner. Its heavy, but not too heavy. Has a trolley handle built in, bluetooth speakers, and led lights. The only problem is that everyone who has ever ridden a V8 and then goes to the KS16s says I wish the V8 would go this fast, but I wish the KS16 had the feel of a V8. Not one has said gee I wish I could ride an Anvil.

BTW, Marty’s beloved mten3 has the same power rating as the V8 and you dont hear him saying dont get the mten3 it wont be fun for a heavy guy like you. No he says this is the best feeling since a solid duty. And he is correct!

9 minutes ago, Stan Onymous said:

I would only take advice from an owner of the vehicle being recommended.

The V8 does 20mph on the new InMotion app and Darknessbot and the Solowheel app. It is the most fun you will have on a unicycle. These Anvil riders wouldnt know fun if it was riding right next to them. Their only fun with a Gotway is the fact that it hasnt murdered them yet.

When Marty says Gotway this or Gotway that, what he is really saying is “it hasn't murdered me yet or fallen apart while riding it and that feels so invigorating” 

You are heavy I take it. Lots of good heavy people learned how to ride on less powered EUCs than the V8. If you want to do lifts and jumps, like a skateboard the only EUC that will stop the wheel while in mid air tricks is the Inmotion line. This is important, because if you try that with any other line it will spin itself into a shutdown. Not sure that 1200w is twice as much power as 800w infact its only 50% more but the maximum outputs are nearly the same. This means it is safe. You want a starter EUC that you can always use when you go onto the next one. The V8 is priced right, and unlike these other Fan boys of Gotway, I am willing to put my money where my mouth is. I will buy your V8 or Glide three for $100 less than you paid and pay for the shipping to me if you dont absolutely love the V8. You must be honest. All they will do is talk you into your untimely demise, and they should feel ashamed of themselves for wishing that on you.

The KS16s is a good choice too for a beginner. Its heavy, but not too heavy. Has a trolley handle built in, bluetooth speakers, and led lights. The only problem is that everyone who has ever ridden a V8 and then goes to the KS16s says I wish the V8 would go this fast, but I wish the KS16 had the feel of a V8. Not one has said gee I wish I could ride an Anvil.

BTW, Marty’s beloved mten3 has the same power rating as the V8 and you dont hear him saying dont get the mten3 it wont be fun for a heavy guy like you. No he says this is the best feeling since a solid duty. And he is correct!

Entertaining read (honestly). I do want to say that you're responding to a strawman argument that you created for yourself.

My response to @dw8928 never mentioned Gotway. I haven't mentioned Gotway in this entire thread. I recommended another Inmotion wheel and KingSong. Cut me some slack.

Regarding the Mten3, it's apples to oranges. A 800-watt motor in a 10-inch wheel is going to perform dramatically different (and better) than a 800-watt motor in a 16-inch wheel.

31 minutes ago, Stan Onymous said:

What a load of bs. You drunk, or why the contrarian streak? Is this supposed to be satire? Might as well say since you have no Gotway (right?), "I would only take advice from an owner of the vehicle being recommended.", so not from you:efeeab781c:

The problem with the V8 is not just the 800W nominal motor (which can be enough), but the limited current the battery can provide. 2*10A*84V = 1680W, doesn't help if the motor can do more if the battery can't (also, there's the known V8 oscillation issue when the battery is under high stress aka something like 1000+W). At 90kg minimum, I wouldn't want to trust this with a strong brake on a Seattle hill e.g., and in flat Florida, 30km/h max (only at close to full battery) is going to become boring very soon.

7 hours ago, RockyTop said:

The V8 is a great wheel for someone that is 120 pounds..........That’s all I have to say about that.

This about sums it up. Good wheel, but not for op.

10 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

The problem with the V8 is not just the 800W nominal motor (which can be enough), but the limited current the battery can provide. 2*10A*84V = 1680W, doesn't help if the motor can do more if the battery can't (also, there's the known V8 oscillation issue when the battery is under high stress aka something like 1000+W). At 90kg minimum, I wouldn't want to trust this with a strong brake on a Seattle hill e.g., and in flat Florida, 30km/h max (only at close to full battery) is going to become boring very soon.

You have no idea what you are talking about. If you forward correct your machine you will have no forward oscillation. My V8 has gotten over 2000 watt spikes as measured by the new app with absolutely no worries. I only ride on hills steeper than seattle hills and none of your flatlander concerns have even come close to bothering the V8 at my feet.

btw, the guy at Bosche motors in Germany told me at CES that these motors of this design are actually capable of nearly 10,000wtts. For that you would need battery power, but your syntax of power is a very limited way of thinking. Not very German at all.

27 minutes ago, Stan Onymous said:

You have no idea what you are talking about. If you forward correct your machine you will have no forward oscillation. My V8 has gotten over 2000 watt spikes as measured by the new app with absolutely no worries. I only ride on hills steeper than seattle hills and none of your flatlander concerns have even come close to bothering the V8 at my feet.

btw, the guy at Bosche motors in Germany told me at CES that these motors of this design are actually capable of nearly 10,000wtts. For that you would need battery power, but your syntax of power is a very limited way of thinking. Not very German at all.

Stan how much do you weigh? This guy weighs 200 lbs. Every 10 lbs makes a big difference when talking about an 800 watt wheel. And at 200 lbs, that little 480 wh battery isn't going to get him very far, especially on hills. 

'People your size have learned on weaker wheels' isn't a great argument. The tendency to quickly want a more powerful wheel is most definitely going to apply to a 200 lb guy who dropped 900 bucks on his first (800 watt) wheel. 

49 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

What a load of bs. You drunk, or why the contrarian streak? Is this supposed to be satire? Might as well say since you have no Gotway (right?), "I would only take advice from an owner of the vehicle being recommended.", so not from you:efeeab781c:

This about sums it up. Good wheel, but not for op.

He regularly partakes in the weed (perfectly legal in California). Need I say more :D

I think Bill is trolling us all now, so I'm off this thread except for any questions that @dw8928 may have.

13 hours ago, dw8928 said:

How is Gotway quality? I've read they have durability problems - esp if learning to ride. I'm leaning more toward the KS16S - 1) Great build quality? 2) Power is more important than range to me. The Evolve GTX has great range but I mostly just didn't want to worry about range as opposed to actually using the range. I also didn't want the battery sag of smaller battery packs. 

The KS16s is a great wheel.  It has been upgraded to 1200 watt motor and has lots of pep.   You really can't lose with it.  If you do move on to another wheel later you will probably keep the KS16s.  When a newbie asks if they can ride my GotWay I bring out the KS because the thing is indestructible.  And sometimes it is just more fun to ride.  

Best of luck from another 35 year old rider!:thumbup:

Okay, let me weigh-in here... (sorry, couldn't resist that one).

Hi @dw8928 - as another (even) heavier rider, I completely understand where you're coming from. And my first thought was to the KS-16S, as it would be great to learn on, but not something you would outgrow too quickly. But it is worth mentioning that the height of the foot plates on the KS-16S (at 120mm) are lower than some of the alternatives out there, which may be a factor for you if your priority is off-road - though the question needs to be asked as to how "off-road" you mean by "off-road?" Rougher terrain is easier with better foot plate clearance.

I have ridden a number of different wheels, and for a heavier rider the more solid 18" wheels don't bounce as much (as for the lighter riders) but do give a solid "grounded" feel. So the MSuper or KS-18L may be worth considering, though 18" wheels are slightly more expensive.

Hi there Fattie, I'm a little taken back that 200lb guy who is 6 feet might be considered fat!

Having researched this a bit more and watched people falling after the battery sags and causes sudden face plants, I'm inclined to get the V10F. I found a 10% off code too and just placed an order. This battery sag problem is why I ordered the Evolve GTX. I have never ridden the GTX to its highest speed because that is just too fast.

Usain Bolt's fastest recorded speed was 27.8mph. And I have learned from my skateboard that running off the board is not hard even at high speeds, but I only want to get to a speed I can properly run off and decelerate from on my own feet without falling. This is probably about 20mph for me - taking into consideration the reaction time needed.

Anyway, the V10F is probably WAY more battery than I will ever need, but I like the reserve. Plus re-selling the wheel later should be easier if I decide to do so. Looking at the teardown of the V10F on a Russian channel, it seems well made. The pads on the side are not put on with stickum, but mechanically fastened for easy removal. The internals look well organized. It comes with two chipsets per the website. I did see Topher on YouTube say it has redundant control boards but I think he meant processors.

Anyway, V10F is on order unless I cancel before they ship.

Nice! Can't go wrong with the V10F. Or any of the others, really.

19 minutes ago, dw8928 said:

And I have learned from my skateboard that running off the board is not hard even at high speeds, but I only want to get to a speed I can properly run off and decelerate from on my own feet without falling. This is probably about 20mph for me - taking into consideration the reaction time needed.

No.

You can maybe run off a bump/pothole/curb/surprise obstacle that lifts you off the pedals on a EUC at ~20km/h/13mph. Above that, nearly impossible, no matter how "good" you think you are. And if the hardware fails (sudden cut-out - won't happen, but it is theoretically possible) you have zero chance at any speed (anyone claiming else is simply delusional in that respect). Just look at Hoverboard fall videos where people overpower one, similar behavior to a EUC with sudden hardware failure. EUCs (self-balancing vehicles) are like spaceships, either everything is a-ok, or really bad, there's little in between.

The big difference to a skateboard (electric or not) is that the skateboard offers resistance for your feet to jump off from, which can get you running. On a EUC, it's more like the machine is suddenly gone from under your legs and the first time your feet even touch ground they encounter it at full speed. There's nothing to jump off from. Take your skateboard, tie it to something, and get going until it's suddenly no longer there. That's EUC behavior.

So be aware of this difference. Wheels have their own behavior and are not like inherently stable other devices.

Archived