What is the legal situation regarding EUC in your country?

Torsten Daerr

So what is the legal status of riding EUC in your country? How often do you encounter law enforcement officers and how do they react to you riding your EUC? Here in Germany it's still illegal to ride an electric monowheel which is probably is the main reason why they still are not popular here at all. I'd be interested in hearing what the current situation in your country is. Many thanks for sharing your experiences. 

In Poland EUCs are not regulated by law at all (there was some effort, but eventually failed). By law EUC riders are treated on par with pedestrians. Still, there is very few EUC riders in Poland and I've never heard about any problems related to EUCs. Common sense is an actual law used by both EUC riders, bicyclists and police, so no problems here - at least until now :)

In my area they mostly ignore them.   I was in a park and had to get to the restroom so I cut across a straw field.  The ranger said “ I don’t know were you can legally ride that thing but it is not on my grass.”  So I had to walk it through the grass.  Like in most places EUCs do not fit in the existing laws.   I ride on streets and places that say “no motorized vehicles”. I looked up the state definition of “vehicle”. It is something that has two or more wheels and a motor or engine. So I am good.  

12 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

In my area they mostly ignore them.   I was in a park and had to get to the restroom so I cut across a straw field.  The ranger said “ I don’t know were you can legally ride that thing but it is not on my grass.”  So I had to walk it through the grass.  Like in most places EUCs do not fit in the existing laws.   I ride on streets and places that say “no motorized vehicles”. I looked up the state definition of “vehicle”. It is something that has two or more wheels and a motor or engine. So I am good.  

In California they are given the same distinction as bikes. You could probably out manuvre the ranger on your EUC, so make a break for it! ?

30 minutes ago, Stan Onymous said:

In California they are given the same distinction as bikes. You could probably out manuvre the ranger on your EUC, so make a break for it! ?

I wanted to be very nice to the guy.  He was a park volunteer ranger.  He was in his 80’s and I could see the Grim Reaper standing behind him impatiently tapping his foot.  I didn’t want his last memory to be chasing me though a staw field.  ?.  

I am glad to hear that Cali considers them to be bicycles.  

As far as I know in Sweden EUC compares with electric bicycles. You need lights and reflex (white in front and red back) and a bell. You ride where bikes are allowed and like electric bikes your speed can be max. 25km/h. 

38 minutes ago, Christer said:

As far as I know in Sweden EUC compares with electric bicycles. You need lights and reflex (white in front and red back) and a bell. You ride where bikes are allowed and like electric bikes your speed can be max. 25km/h. 

You bring up a good point.  If it is a bicycle, then it needs front, rear and side reflectors.  Lights don’t count unless they reflect when they are off.  ( US  law)    I don’t know of any EUCs that have proper side reflectors.

Iwas stopped on a bicycle for not having spoke side reflectors.   

Archived