Please Help - Troubleshoot My new Tesla

On 6/24/2018 at 11:30 PM, Kevin DiBetta said:

I have completed that exercise already.

I can not get the thing to go fast enough to keep me upright.

I can ride it down a hill and remain upright (Free from holding on to anything.)

But after that 3mph (on a downhill) it just feels like the wheel is spinning without assistance from the motor.

To ensure that the problem was not with me and my ability to lean properly. I have tried calibrating with the pedals having slight back-slant

I have completed this exercise while in each of the three Modes Sport, Moderate, Leisure

This should mean that I am forced to lean forward, thus making it easier for the wheel to get away from me.

I am a skier. 

But, It could be me. 

if you didnt get assistance from the motor over 3 mph then you would faceplant

i think you should just let your body do the "leanz" let yourself lean foward. its not you feet you should lean, not your knees either, neither you claves, or your upper body, you should lean it all to change you center of balance, you can lean as much as you want. but if you dont change your balance in a way so if you werent on the wheel you would fall foward, just do that on the wheel and it will gain speed and catch you. and that is how you ride an euc. youre welcome :) 

6 minutes ago, Esper said:

It's been several days since Kevin has been back. I wonder if he figured it out.

i tried skiing, it focuses a lot on not moving your upper body balance too much. hard to explain, but you need to be leaned foward in a certain way, so if he is very used to that then i think easily he automatically did that on euc and tried leaning with his lower legs only, i think if it actually was what i explained then i think he will have a pretty funny start to remember, "Please help - troubleshoot my new tesl. . Legs!"  :roflmao:

30 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

not trying to step on people's pride & ego here

That is why I have such an abundance of respect for you.  One of the most common things I hear as I pass by people on a wheel is “How is that even possible?!”  So Yah,  easy mistake.  Thanks houseofjob! 

To me it sounds like a broken unit. Feedback loop, missing coil connection or whatnot.

I am just on my 2nd week and I remember my first days still. Holding the fence going on of on off, rolling a few metres.

I never felt that the Tesla would not go past 3 km/h, not even during my first day. Just rocking it back and forth on the floor with your hand in long strokes should take it past 3km/h. Could try that and check the wheellog as another test

I did however feel that sideway balance was something I needed to practice before taking off. I also used a belt tied to the Tesla handle bar to "catch it" whenever I lost balance and it tried to make a solo ride ? But never lack of speed potential.

Acceleration was not as formidable as I expected though at low speeds (coming from a ninebot mini plus that only do 17km/h (real speed) that actually has a better "start acceleration"...small wheel diameter = good Accel but low top speed...just like gearing on a motor bike) but when you push on after 20 and it continues to 30 like nothing happened, that is where you feel the difference (tiltback set to 35 now and all alarms on, not really sure if 1beep = tilt back or some pre defined alarm limit, but I had 1beep and short after 2beep so I guess it's around 30 (GPS said 29-30 anyway) cause it's surely nowhere near the claimed 59, but where most Tesla's seem to cutout at 53, so I should have plenty of margin still (at 200lbs I will probably set tiltback to 50 in the end...weeks from now lol).

When I finally decided to push off, balance was a non issues. As soon as you gather momentum the gyro force balance for you. It's the slow speed ticking that requires most effort... And...to me... To get rid of the wobble that occurs at higher speeds

49 minutes ago, Boogieman said:

To me it sounds like a broken unit. Feedback loop, missing coil connection or whatnot.

I am just on my 2nd week and I remember my first days still. Holding the fence going on of on off, rolling a few metres.

I never felt that the Tesla would not go past 3 km/h, not even during my first day. Just rocking it back and forth on the floor with your hand in long strokes should take it past 3km/h. Could try that and check the wheellog as another test

I did however feel that sideway balance was something I needed to practice before taking off. I also used a belt tied to the Tesla handle bar to "catch it" whenever I lost balance and it tried to make a solo ride ? But never lack of speed potential.

Acceleration was not as formidable as I expected though at low speeds (coming from a ninebot mini plus that only do 17km/h (real speed) that actually has a better "start acceleration"...small wheel diameter = good Accel but low top speed...just like gearing on a motor bike) but when you push on after 20 and it continues to 30 like nothing happened, that is where you feel the difference (tiltback set to 35 now and all alarms on, not really sure if 1beep = tilt back or some pre defined alarm limit, but I had 1beep and short after 2beep so I guess it's around 30 (GPS said 29-30 anyway) cause it's surely nowhere near the claimed 59, but where most Tesla's seem to cutout at 53, so I should have plenty of margin still (at 200lbs I will probably set tiltback to 50 in the end...weeks from now lol).

When I finally decided to push off, balance was a non issues. As soon as you gather momentum the gyro force balance for you. It's the slow speed ticking that requires most effort... And...to me... To get rid of the wobble that occurs at higher speeds

they test the wheels before shipping them. Not as much as kingsong though but they do test it. i tried skiing. And its all about keeping you balance point front to back still. So if he is experienced with skiing then i think his body is used to that habit. Skiing you usually control with the pressure of the feet. Press down on one and you turn. but you jusy need to keep the balance slightly infront. And if you lean slightly then it fucks up

so i think he just needed to break through the habit

if there was a missing coil connection the it wouldnt balance at all. All the issues that youre mentioning would basically make the wheel straight up not work. i went outside and srood in the ski pose on my tesla and tried to lean. I can go very slow and when you meet a hill it doesnt go over it. If you havent tried else then it could feel like lack of power from the motor.

and he said 3mph not kph

57 minutes ago, Shad0z said:

they test the wheels before shipping them. Not as much as kingsong though but they do test it. i tried skiing. And its all about keeping you balance point front to back still. So if he is experienced with skiing then i think his body is used to that habit. Skiing you usually control with the pressure of the feet. Press down on one and you turn. but you jusy need to keep the balance slightly infront. And if you lean slightly then it fucks up

so i think he just needed to break through the habit

if there was a missing coil connection the it wouldnt balance at all. All the issues that youre mentioning would basically make the wheel straight up not work. i went outside and srood in the ski pose on my tesla and tried to lean. I can go very slow and when you meet a hill it doesnt go over it. If you havent tried else then it could feel like lack of power from the motor.

and he said 3mph not kph

I'm no Pro at skiing, but have around 15 weeks in the European alpes and Northern mountains.

With regard to skiing you control speed (except with ski wax mix) by turning (either often or very sharp to slow down) and by crouching to speed up (decrease wind resistance) and crouching+leaning backward (less ski in the ground and you ride more"atop the snow" if you want to go flat out straight down), so with regards to speed I don't really see the resemblance with a EUC where you lean forward to accelerate.

With regards to turning, there is old school (non carving) "pretty turn" skiing (basically body straight, skiis tigjt together going like a pendulum below you body and skiis are skidding through the end of each partial turn effectively causing a slowdown ). A similar technique used when going off-piste where you want body center of gravity quite still/centered. This works very well on a ninebot mini plus (2 wheeler).

And of course carving where you lean more in the turn and use the pressure on the ski edges (that has a radius) to turn "for you". Much more efficient, stable and faster way to ride, though not as "pretty" I.m.o. lol

Though, only the questioner known if he found out how to ride faster or not or if it was the wheel I guess. I just find it very strange...and everything can happen during shipping from China (my box was severely squeezed so I'm sure it has had its tumbles)

Archived