Only for the brave. Russian Hack for the Mini Pro

Well, working with cars without nasty surprises would’ve been a fantasy, wouldn’t it? You sure got your share though.

For the grease between the rim and brakes, as well as on the bolt threads, I had the best experience with bolt tar. I guess copper grease is the standard, but tar went even further and even a tight wheel got off like I had put it on just a minute ago.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Well, working with cars without nasty surprises would’ve been a fantasy, wouldn’t it? You sure got your share though.

For the grease between the rim and brakes, as well as on the bolt threads, I had the best experience with bolt tar. I guess copper grease is the standard, but tar went even further and even a tight wheel got off like I had put it on just a minute ago.

Years back I found a brake slide lube (AGS SIL-Glyde Silicone Lubricant) that works exceedingly well as a non-hardening, non-drying, heat-resistant grease, and also works as dielectric grease. All rusty mating surfaces are polished with a wire wheel, then greased.

On the caliper slides, brake pad retainers & tensioners, & anti-squeel plates (3 layers) I'm trying out Permatex 24125 Ceramic Extreme Brake Parts Lubricant. Supposedly it's the best stuff one can buy, though I haven't used it before. It's pretty tackey, and their products are high-end, so I have high-hopes.

i'm resigned to bleeding the brakes and checking out how bad the other side is before working on this side further. Rather than go through all the work of cleaning up the other rotor, if it's bad I'll throw it all back together and order a matched set for the front.

As a note, one shouldn't grease the studs themselves. The lube helps the bolt spin on easier and if you torque it to specification it stretches the stud due to less rotational resistance (I used to lube them too.) Talking about torque, my big torque wrench (Sears Craftsman) went out of spec. They used to make great tools before they started importing from China... Also had to replace the air nipple on the air hammer and the fitting on the air hose...and my phone is no longer streaming music to the WiFi hub thanks to some odd power-saving mode (battery management for Hi-Fi Cast is turned off) :eff0541f4a:

...but you know what didn't happen? My truck didn't roll into a lake and pin me to the pier, meanwhile trashing a laptop, EUC, and gobs of other stuff. (I certainly don't have @Rehab1's temperament, though I'm working on it...) 

So what's this Bolt Tar? The only thing that came up was Bruce Bolt Premium Pine Tar for baseball gloves. 

Edited by WI_Hedgehog
  • Like 1

Hi, just want to say "thank you"!

I recently got a Ninebot S, it's my first device, and just 4 days ago I discovered this community and this thread in particular when searching for a way to tweak the scooter. So I've been quickly able to downgrade the 1.6.5 firmware to 1.1.7 - it's way better! - and learned a lot about the modding scene, from bigger tires (ordered a pair of hybrid 90/65) to the custom firmware :dribble: - can't wait to install it!

Yesterday I mounted the handlebar - much better handling! - so now it's a full segway and here in Italy is legally considered as a pedestrian, no legal issues B)

So thanks again to all the members involved who keep up the work! :eff034a94a:

• Like 1

On 5/10/2020 at 1:40 PM, WI_Hedgehog said:

So what's this Bolt Tar?

There are a few products available here, but I have no idea which brands would be available across the pond.

Maston Tar Spray, King Bolt Tar, Motip Tar Spray, PRF Tar Spray, etc.

• Like 1

Am 10.4.2020 um 16:19 sagte longinus88:

Hallo all, ich bin ein Partner von More4Mini in Luxemburg und kann die Swallowbot-Firmware per Bluetooth pro Telefon in Ihrem MiniPro - Mini S flashen.

Wenn Sie sich befinden, lassen Sie es mich wissen!

Ist das swallbot motherboard dafür notwendig? 

Oder auch das originale? 

Is the swallbot motherboard necessary for this? Or the original too?

@Uwe Kleinhenz

Nein, Swallowbot ist ja die Firmware. Das Board muss natürlich kein "Swallowbot MB" sein. Macht ja auch kein Sinn: Auf einem Swallowbot MB ist ja bereits Swallowbot drauf.

Bitte auch nicht verwechseln: Die neue hier unter anderem angebotene Extreme FW ist NICHT Swallowbot sondern wurde erneut aufgebohrt.

On 5/10/2020 at 5:25 AM, WI_Hedgehog said:

The forum only lets me upload 2 pictures

... No one reads the f.. manual ... ah forum rules :D. Maybe we should rephrase the part "MUST read before your first post" to "DO NOT read this - dangerous & secrect knowledge hidden"

ps.: If i remember right in also just read the forum rules once i became moderator and some parts were discussed... 😎

16 hours ago, Uwe Kleinhenz said:

Ist das swallbot motherboard dafür notwendig? 

Oder auch das originale? 

Is the swallbot motherboard necessary for this? Or the original too?

(German: See below)

This is true, it is very difficult to translate the forum if it is in many languages. English is relatively easy to translate, and the Google Chrome web browser can translate the entire page from one language (English) to your native language at the same time.

The new @MRN76 firmware is incredibly fast, as fast as the hardware supports (not Swallowbot). With the Extreme version you can drive right to the edge of the hardware. Therefore, the driver must be very careful not to exceed the hardware performance. When the driver does this, it beeps and then tilts back very sharply for a second and slow down very quickly. This prevents the driver from driving too fast and planting the face because the machine cannot support them, and allows the electronics to cool down (which hopefully also prevents injuries).

A lot of work has been done to protect you and the machine and at the same time to judge for yourself how fast you have to drive. It's easy to overdo your skills. You have to use experience to drive within these skills. It's almost like driving a racing car - you have to drive responsibly, not just set the accelerator to "full" and leave it there - that's exactly what the @MRN76 firmware does for the miniPRO.

----- ***** -----

(the same, but in German)

Dies ist wahr, es ist sehr schwer, das Forum zu übersetzen, wenn es in vielen Sprachen ist. Englisch ist relativ einfach zu übersetzen, und der Google Chrome-Webbrowser kann die gesamte Seite gleichzeitig von einer Sprache (Englisch) in Ihre Muttersprache übersetzen.

Die neue @MRN76 firmware ist wahnsinnig schnell, so schnell die Hardware unterstützt (nicht Swallowbot). Mit der Extreme-Version können Sie direkt an den Rand der Hardware fahren. Daher muss der Treiber sehr vorsichtig sein, um die Leistung der Hardware nicht zu überschreiten. Wenn der Treiber dies tut, piept er und kippt dann eine Sekunde lang sehr stark zurück später und sehr schnell verlangsamen. Dies verhindert, dass der Fahrer zu schnell fährt und das Gesicht pflanzt, da die Maschine sie nicht unterstützen kann, und ermöglicht es der Elektronik, sich abzukühlen (was hoffentlich auch Verletzungen verhindert).

Es wurde viel Arbeit geleistet, um Sie und die Maschine zu schützen und gleichzeitig selbst zu beurteilen, wie schnell Sie fahren müssen. Es ist leicht, seine Fähigkeiten zu übertreiben. Man muss Erfahrung einsetzen, um innerhalb dieser Fähigkeiten zu fahren. Es ist fast so, als würde man ein Rennauto fahren - man muss verantwortungsbewusst fahren, nicht einfach den Beschleuniger auf "voll" stellen und dort lassen - genau das macht die @ MRN76-Firmware für den miniPRO.

----- ***** -----

7 hours ago, Chriull said:

... No one reads the f.. manual ... 😎

I have read the manual, but am on a phone with very little connectivity, so cannot set pictures up properly. I'm working on that so the @MRN76 install manual can be posted with images.

UPDATE: As an Essential Business we're suddenly super-busy at work (other in the industry are still shut down), though this should lighten up.
I did take the miniPRO out for a 40-minute high-speed test run (it's now fast transportation to get around traffic backups, much like an EUC), and am refining the settings.

As a note, @MRN76 has basic instructions on how to install the revised firmware, just be very careful doing it (I wiped out one miniPRO during the process). He's updated the process so this should go more smoothly. The firmware is solid and works.

Hi @WI_Hedgehog

I am going to upgrade my MiniPro and document the entire process... happy to collaborate on the guide.  I think I want the "Extreme" firmware version.  If you can clue me in on what NOT to do so I don't BRICK my MiniPro - that's great... but his site seems pretty straightforward so I'll see if I can get it going.  Wish me luck - even though I'm a Vikings fan!  :-) 

19 hours ago, Tommy Hilfaker said:

If i change the battery (cause in the near Future it has to on my MiniPro), do i have to repeat the "upgrading" process again?

Conclusively, you can change the battery and nothing else is affected.

i had some errands to run last night and tonight that were going to be faster via hoverboard than automobile so had the chance to dial in some more settings. I have off this weekend so should have the opportunity to get the updates finished. 

I have to say, that although I'm getting used to the speed, it's still "scary fast" and I rarely push it to its limits. Yesterday I pushed it to "dead battery," which is 170mAh, then any time you step on it it keeps tilting back until it forces you off. It was safe all the way down to "zero. "

Serious speed limiting kicks in with an estimated 3 miles of battery power remaining, and slows you down to...get this...10.6MPH! That's the fastest speed the latest Ninebot firmware allows with a full battery! I rode that all the way down to 0.0 miles left, at which point the speed limiter got serious and did the very Canadian thing of suggesting I recharge the battery. Ha! I kept going for another 1/8 mile at 10.6 MPH, then the punishment kicked in: 8.1 MPH...it was like being on an unflashed board again... That lasted another 1/2 mile and then the limiter slowed me to 4.3 MPH for another half mile, then I was done: 170 mAh remaining and it methodically stopped, and then shoved me off. Putting the weight of one foot on caused it to push that foot off--it had enough. 

Tonight I pushed the current limiter, risking popping some electronics in the process (why not kill two boards--one is already 'dead'). After reducing the tilt-back to a minimum I went up a steep hill and leaned wayyy forward...well, "way forward" in a very cautious sort of way, mostly tilting my feet, which is still a lot for a hoverboard. That fired off the overcurrent beeps and I instinctively leaned back immediately. Tilt-back occurred and I had to slow down to about 4 MPH before the tilt-back released and the board leveled out. Nothing damaged, all good. 

So, there's a word of caution that goes with the Extreme firmware: You do not ride the beeps. The firmware lets you ride all the way to just slightly below the hardware limits, then tilts you back slightly, so paying attention is important. It doesn't tilt back much, so you can "ride the tilt-back," unlike a stock machine that keeps tilting you back more until you slow down and accept the "penalty tilt"--none of that sillyness here, but you do have to pay attention. When "the beeps" hit you have about 1.5 seconds before strong tilt-back occurs, which lasts down to about 5 MPH, saving the hardware from going "poof." The way to manage this is: when it beeps, hit the brakes--hard. If you very quickly "jam on the brakes" and decelerate to 5 MPH, you're golden. If not--get ready to land a foot and take some big steps, because it's going to hit the brakes for you and it ain't gonna be pretty. 

Oh yes, the battery thing... Yesterday's run was on LiveBoard's battery, which I stopped short of balancing during the recharge (balance starts at 97%), so we'll see how things go without balancing it for a while. Tonight DeadBoard's battery got swapped in, and with 100% charge we went like stink with no complications whatsoever. It's charging back up, and the charge time verses balance time will be tracked. (Since the board the battery belongs in is dead at the moment the pack should be balanced as it will be sitting idle until DeadBoard is repaired.) If you're wondering, "dead" is truly 0% remaining, which is a 3.00V average, so one cell dipped to 2.866. "Full" is 4.00V, short of of the 4.20V maximum EUC manufacturers use. This lower maximum voltage preserves battery life, increases storage longevity with minimal negative effects, and reduces the chance of fires. This also allows some capacity for those who live on the top of hills, as the board regeneratively charges when going down hill or braking, which is an issue if the cells start out at 4.20V.

The steering and pedal firmness settings are dialed-in. These things are best done in a variety of situations on varying terrain, and these extra runs gave me the opportunity to test things a bit more and dial in some tweaks. Given the board is operating wayyyy out of normal conditions it makes sense to compensate appropriately. Or crash--your choice. 

• Like 2

Okay ... Thanks to all but still at now I don't understand what I need to buy, Where I could buy and how to flash the Extreme firmware in my 2 miniPro by the Android app... ( where to get it ?? )

Thanks

On 10.4.2020 at 16:19, longinus88 said:

Hallo allerseits, ich bin ein Partner von More4Mini in Luxemburg und kann die Swallowbot-Firmware per Bluetooth per Telefon in Ihren MiniPro - Mini S flashen.

Wenn Sie interessiert sind, lassen Sie es mich wissen!

Hallo ich hätte Interesse an der furmware

On 10.4.2020 at 16:19, longinus88 said:

Hallo allerseits, ich bin ein Partner von More4Mini in Luxemburg und kann die Swallowbot-Firmware per Bluetooth per Telefon in Ihren MiniPro - Mini S flashen.

Wenn Sie interessiert sind, lassen Sie es mich wissen!

Thanks to @buell47 and @meepmeepmayer I now understand how to host images on this forum, so we're one step closer.

I'm running @MRN76's firmware, and it indeed works very well, better than I expected. I did wipe the memory of one miniPRO in the process, something that's not that easy to do, but in my case it was also not that hard.... Since then @MRN76 rewrote the software and things go much more smoothly. He's been great to work with.

I passed a girl on one of those generic Chinese hoverboards yesterday, she was doing the standard 4.5 MPH...sad. Also not fun. With a stock Ninebot and the latest firmware I can go about 8.5 MPH comfortably, I think about 9 if I'm watching the tiltback really closely--it sucks.

Those days have come to an end.

12 hours ago, Elchapo1112 said:

I am interested in flashing my 9bot mini.  Any help locating the firmware purchase would be appreciated.  I was able to download the 9Tool and connect... Not sure what the next step is.

Where's the link to download 9Tool app??

Is it an Android flashing tool Bluetooth app??

Thanks

http://mrn76.ru/index.php/ninetool/nenetoolminipro

push the Get key button, 

push the Copy button on the top, near the numbers, 

contact mrn76 on telegram for example and paste the numbers, 

he will ask you to pay through paypal and he will upload firmware to his server, 

push get key once again, 

push the flash paid firmware button, 

push reset data, 

enjoy

• Like 1

Real life example of Extreme firmware capabilities by @MRN76. Today I did extensive ride through the capital of Poland (north to south, mostly on bike pathways). Within an exactly hour of not stepping off my Ninebot mini I was able to ride 18,2km. So it is perfectly safe to say you can have AVERAGE of 18kmph with all the red lights and waiting and trafic in between with MAX real speed (all measured via GPS not the Ninebot app) of 24,5kmph. At the end there were still two bars of charge. 

Edited by MacGary

Hi guys. Sat down Saturday (my day off) to get this done, Windows 10 said it needed to reboot to finish installing updates. Well, don't ever let Windows do that if you need the computer the same day....that was the whole day shot. I apologize, I should have thought ahead on that one.

With that going on I did leave for an appointment early and get a 1.3 mile ride in, then a thunderstorm hit and I got soaked. Rushing to get back I oversped and got "the beeps." I didn't slow down fast enough as I'd been riding one beep, slow down, one beep, slow down, and then the series of beeps hit--I slowed but not fast enough and dumped it at about 8 MPH = 13 KPH with a successful runoff. The machine needed to be powered off and back on as it would not reset by holding it level.

I'll have to look at the photos, but top usable speed seems to be around 15.5 MPH = 25 KPH. @MRN76 has strongly suggested wearing safety gear, which I'll incorporate in the guide. I generally do not, but also keep it to about 12.5 MPH = 20 KPH (not that's very fast and not a good speed to have to bail out at). Hoverboards are not like wheels and can easily twist your joints...more on that later.

I'll return to getting this done shortly, it's a huge push for me to finish this. Again, I apologize for rebooting, it was my mistake.