Only for the brave. Russian Hack for the Mini Pro

Last night I found the older version of the software can communicate with my boards just fine, the Beta version has Timeout issues and sometimes hangs (a task doesn't complete). I'm concerned the Beta software won't be able to flash the firmware successfully.

Firmware already on miniPros: v1. 4.0 (current)
Serial #1: N3MTH1625T0xxx (xxx replaces actual #)
Serial #2: N3MTD1624T0xxx (xxx replaces actual #)

10 hours ago, Tommy Hilfaker said:

I need this firmware! Hope MRN has found a workable possibility for him to Upgrade without the Board and only with a android apk :(

Yes, I have done it remotely via an App (.apk). The update process is also described in the original link I provided earlier.

On 4/10/2020 at 4:19 PM, longinus88 said:

7 hours ago, WI_Hedgehog said:

Yes, once I complete the process i'll post a guide. I'm waiting for an email response from @MRN76

Thanks very much @WI_Hedgehog  :clap3:

1 hour ago, WI_Hedgehog said:

Absolutely, people here have helped so much its the least I can do. The "before" pictures and measurements are done, board information sent to MRN76,  just waiting for a reply. 

You can write me a letter again. I usually reply to everyone within 5-12 hours.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, MRN76 said:

You can write me a letter again. I usually reply to everyone within 5-12 hours.

Thank you. 

The email is sent again.

Edited by WI_Hedgehog
Fixed formatting.

UPDATE:

Flashing the firmware via Bluetooth is now more reliable and faster thanks to @MRN76adding more functionality to the software. We have successfully downgraded a stock v1.4.0 (current firmware) miniPRO to v1.1.7, and the miniPRO speed is faster. We're working on the documentation for that and should have it done in the next few days, at which point we'll test everything on a fresh, unmolested MiniPRO and verify it works. This way you should have a fast, safe, and easy install. 

• Like 2

@MRN76 has worked with me this past week on what to do, and what not to do, when updating the firmware. Beyond that there is some tuning and other precautions that should be taken, and we're working on that also. We want to make sure you have something very straightforward and easy to follow, with maximum safety to yourself and your board, so we are testing everything we can think of and rewriting the software with you in mind. 

There's also going to be information on what to do if something goes horribly wrong and you brick your ride (one of my miniPROs got bricked, it is my fault, not @MRN76'S fault, we are working on un-bricking it). That will come later (waiting on hardware), we are working on that but want to finish the instructions on how to safely make your ride faster and get that to you very soon.

The comment above sealed the deal. I will be purchasing the firmware ad soon as the@WI_Hedgehog - @MRN76 collaboration bears fruit. Despite practically never riding the MiniPro anymore. Who knows, maybe i would if I could ride it uphill to our parking lot properly.

Thank you for doing this, Hedge!

5 hours ago, Swiseliswosh said:

Any updates from @WI_Hedgehog&@MRN76? Summer is just around the corner here in Sweden and i would love to update my miniPRO ASAP:D

I was called out of town on business, as soon as I return the documentation will be completed and uploaded. (within a week)

• Like 1

UPDATE: Most of us dislike waiting, myself included. I'm on my way back (it's frigging snowing) and have scheduled final testing of miniPRO #1 late Friday, 05/08/2020 (what's up with this snow???). Time is set aside Saturday 05/09/2020 to finish the documentation, have @MRN76 proof it, and hopefully get it uploaded to a server Sunday/Monday. (Snowing. Seriously?)

Given I've been unavailable at home base there are a bunch of things that need to be done; if there's time I'll try to jack into miniPRO #2's scrambled memory and upload some clean thoughts (the in-circuit programming module came in). No promises--speed documentation first, brain surgery second.

Edited by WI_Hedgehog
  • Like 1

Slight delay, the brakes on my truck need immediate replacement (earlier than expected, found during preventative maintainance) and everything is rusted in place and very hard to get off, possibly due to the change in the type of salt they're using on the roads this past winter combined with the age of the truck.

I will have to work on the updates this week, sorry for the delay.

Usually the rear brakes are harder to service because the star-wheel adjuster (inside) rusts and locks the drum portion (used for the emergency brake) to the hub. In this case the rear went pretty well after using a log to smash the tire rim in order to brake the wheel free of the hub--the job started out rough and got worse...the caliper piston blew out and landed on the floor, so that took 1.5 hours to clean and re-install the whole assembly. (No pictures, I was coated in brake fluid). So if you thought that didn't go well, we can move on the the front... 

The front was actually much, much harder to work on--the rotor refused to come off, even with a 3-1/2" stroke air hammer. Eventually I beat it off with a decking hammer, but it was a few hours of beating and dented the rotor. 

The forum only lets me upload 2 pictures due to space, so here's the driver's front brake hat after a lot of bashing to get the rotor off of it (the cardboard is pretty soaked with hydraulic fluid after the rear piston popped and the caliper dumped it's load--which is a great reason to use cardboard under these type of projects):

IMG_20200509_195039.thumb.jpg.4d127458abd13581ad70f909641ddd10.jpg

It's a little worse for the wear...but an air hammer to pound the studs back in and a die grinder with a stainless wire wheel did wonders:IMG_20200509_210147.thumb.jpg.492cd9459e5a4b218d3724aa2f0b1d95.jpg

I'll grease the proper parts so next time it comes apart easily (the factory should have done this, but none do that I know of). 

The driver's side rear is done, the front needs the caliper serviced (without blowing the piston out like I did in the rear), and then I don't know what. I ground and polished the front rotor by hand, which is a hack-job thing to do--but I don't have another rotor so it became necessary. I think I'll bleed the rest of the brake lines with fresh fluid and see if the other front rotor comes off or not. If the end result is the truck doesn't drive like new I'll order 2 new service-duty rotors for the front (not the cheap stuff auto parts stores sell) so things work properly. Service Duty rated rotors cost more, but they work like butter (who doesn't love butter?). They're really smooth when stopping, don't suffer from heat-fade, and don't warp under heavy braking. That's what's on the front now, so they're worth trying to save...I don't mind polishing a rotor by hand, but hand-grinding is kind of sketch. I'm kind of talking myself into spending hobby money on rotors, aren't I? 

Edited by WI_Hedgehog
  • Like 1