Only for the brave. Russian Hack for the Mini Pro

3 hours ago, FreeRide said:

do you have any updated feedback?

@FreeRide It's funny with those tires from AliExpress they sent me them in separate packages and one arrived the other is having some de-tours, so I am unable to do anything more having only one. :)

Anyway I was testing the upgraded with Swallowbot Ninebot mini (N3M240) to check the actual range to see how the increased speed afects battery comsumptuon. Before that I was realy able to do 21-22km on a full charge (I weigh 62kg). Now with the Swallowbot I went once 16km non-stop from my home to work and there was just 0,5km left when I arrived. 

The unit however, after being turned off for 8h with no charging, showed 23% charge when I turned it on while leaving the office (which I found wierd...), so I decided to continue my examination and went around 1km to underground and than 1,5 from underground to my home and still there were few drops of juce in the battery when I was back.

Edited by MacGary
  • Upvote 1

On 8/18/2019 at 1:04 PM, MacGary said:

@FreeRide The unit however, after being turned off for 8h with no charging, showed 23% charge when I turned it on while leaving the office (which I found wierd...), so I decided to continue my examination and went around 1km to underground and than 1,5 from underground to my home and still there were few drops of juce in the battery when I was back.

The output voltage of the batteries will drop when they are hot, such as after a long, fast, ride. When I go uphill at full bore my batteries drop several bars by the top, but after a few minutes they cool and the number of bars increases. The battery voltage also drops during heavy output currents (such as going uphill) but that tends to recover much more quickly than they recover from the effects of heat.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
25 minutes ago, JES said:

It works! Got my swallowbot board this week from M4M and just installed it. Took about ten minutes. Four screws for the battery, eight screws (4 hex at heat sink and 4 Phillips)on the board, 7 electrical connectors (one on underside of board) plus 3x2 motor wires. You really need some heatsink grease but you might salvage enough of the original off the old board. I had some available and used it.

I have 50cc mini Moto tires (oversized) on mine so my speed is about 1.5 mph faster than stock tires. My Strava app clocked 15.9 and I don’t want to be going faster than that on the Minipro. Cruising at 13-14 mph with no tiltback was nice. A couple years ago I discovered 15.9+ mph backwards on the Minipro, riding it in direction of travel of course! But it was a wild ride! If I want to go faster, my EUC’s are good for 40+ mph.

No annoying beeps, battery range in miles show more- using more of battery capacity and reasonable cruising speed! 

E2A223A4-2040-4D22-AC2A-53649FECA758.png

Jes do you mind uploading a short video of a ride on your Mini Pro?

Your tires are the same size of the hybrid tires on sale on M4M?

What about the Max speed at lower battery level?

Thanks a lot!

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/4/2019 at 1:50 PM, JES said:

It works! Got my swallowbot board this week from M4M and just installed it. Took about ten minutes. Four screws for the battery, eight screws (4 hex at heat sink and 4 Phillips)on the board, 7 electrical connectors (one on underside of board) plus 3x2 motor wires. You really need some heatsink grease but you might salvage enough of the original off the old board. I had some available and used it.

No annoying beeps, battery range in miles show more- using more of battery capacity and reasonable cruising speed! 

Thanks for the update.  Which model mini pro did you start with / what firmware were you using previously?

• 2 weeks later...

I posted up my experience in the main mini pro forum, but I installed the more4mini swallowbot board yesterday and have been very pleased so far (only about 1 mile driven). I’m not sure whether I just modified a 320 or 240 model (the battery was labeled n3m240 but once I removed it, I saw a n3m320 serial number/info inside the device). My post contains additional observations about the install process.

• 2 months later...

I found this on eBay (UK seller). Is  somebody giving higher max speed than Swallowbot firmware??? This is over 25km/h limit presented on the screenshot there, while you can only have 23km/h in Swallowbot (more only combined with the hi-profile tires, which is not presented in the app)

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F163841844052

On 1/12/2020 at 2:37 PM, MacGary said:

I found this on eBay (UK seller). Is  somebody giving higher max speed than Swallowbot firmware??? This is over 25km/h limit presented on the screenshot there, while you can only have 23km/h in Swallowbot (more only combined with the hi-profile tires, which is not presented in the app)

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F163841844052

it would be really useful to have a comparison of the two. I do like Swallowbot firmware however even on high profile tires 25km/h are reached only at full charge (over 90%) and most of the electric kick scooters available right now are sensibly faster…

11 hours ago, longinus88 said:

it would be really useful to have a comparison of the two. I do like Swallowbot firmware however even on high profile tires 25km/h are reached only at full charge (over 90%) and most of the electric kick scooters available right now are sensibly faster…

I wrote a message to that seller asking what kind of modification is it, and got below response:

'Hi, no it’s not ‘swallowbot’, it’s just a speed limiter modified to 25km/h.'

Very interesting that somebody else was able to modify this firmware as well.

• 2 months later...
15 minutes ago, zugu said:

Interested thanks

2 units to flash

:thumbup::whistling:

If you plan to travel to Luxembourg you're welcome. Unfortunately the flash can only  be done via Bluetooth.

Alternatively you can send me the two control boards (very easy to disassemble), I will connect them to my MiniPro and flash the Swallowbot firmware into them and then I'll send the control boards back to you.

4 hours ago, longinus88 said:

If you plan to travel to Luxembourg you're welcome. Unfortunately the flash can only  be done via Bluetooth.

Alternatively you can send me the two control boards (very easy to disassemble), I will connect them to my MiniPro and flash the Swallowbot firmware into them and then I'll send the control boards back to you.

With this Virus around All travels without an urgent and indispensable reasons are voided....

Anyway shipping the motherboard for me never was an option otherwise I'll have already solved times and times ago. .

No... I'm looking for, like some years ago, a kit to flash the Swallowbot firmware by myself. . ( an Android phone app + the modified firmware file )

Thanks

Edited by zugu

If anyone is interested, I made a more extreme firmware. It has a speed limit of 25.5 km/h and power is greatly raised. But this firmware is not for children and not for beginners. I rarely go to the forum, it is better to write to me by mail or telegram.

There is also firmware for karting. The speed of karting on the original engines is 30-32km/h. We are also trying to remake the engines so that the speed in go-kart mode is 37-40 km / h, but the had to be suspended due to the virus.

• Like 1

@MacGary, how is riding with the Extreme version when you near the speed limit or breaking?

Extreme firmware has greatly increased power, due to which it can dramatically raise the platform when the speed limit is exceeded, which for an inexperienced rider can end in a fall. Also, when braking, the segway can lead away.

Did you try rolling back the firmware to v1.1.7 to get the original speed back?

56 minutes ago, WI_Hedgehog said:

@MacGary, how is riding with the Extreme version when you near the speed limit or breaking?

Did you try rolling back the firmware to v1.1.7 to get the original speed back?

It is in both scenarios you mentioned much more abrupt, so you definitely need to be extra careful. But the most interesting part is that you realy feel power increase (especially while going uphills).

I have tried every major firmware before (ie. 1.1.7, 1.4.0, Swallowbot) on the same machine, so I have quite good comparison how each behaved and their differences.

Edited by MacGary

1.4.0 - was the worst one

1.3.1 - haven't tried this one (but as far as I know original Swallowbot mod was based on this version)

1.1.7 - much smoother pushback while reaching max speed. Lot less beeping than on 1.4.0 and better climbing uphills. Was able to ride close to 17-18km/h at full charge.

Swallowbot - definitely better max speed than on 1.1.7 also was able to reach and sustain close to max limit 22-23km/h at full charge. Worse behavior while going uphills than on 1.1.7.

MRN76: 7.6.5 (Extreme) - still too short to tell. I have spent 15-20 minutes on it ;) but definitely I feel more power. Was a little afraid to push hard to go beyond 25 km/h to check how the limiting works but it starts just after 25km/h. Feels great while reaching high speed (accelerating) and going uphills. My feeling is that also braking improved (was able to brake fast from high speed) but again it is to early to tell for sure.

Edited by MacGary
  • Like 2