Only for the brave. Russian Hack for the Mini Pro

On 3/28/2019 at 6:34 PM, redpoint5 said:

So what happens when you exceed the speed limit in reverse? Does it just fall on its face, or tilt forward?

It starts to tilt back. And as I mentioned, the tilt-back is always towards vehicle rear, no matter which way you are going. Riding at 18km/h in reverse and getting a tilt-back, you are very quickly on the ground.

On 3/28/2019 at 6:34 PM, redpoint5 said:

I'm assuming no warnings are given when going in reverse either?

At least the low battery tilt-back beeps are still there. But I’m not sure about the top speed beeps at full battery.

11 hours ago, mrelwood said:

And as I mentioned, the tilt-back is always towards vehicle rear, no matter which way you are going.

It's not entire obvious what you mean by vehicle rear. If you back up a car, you go in direction of the vehicle rear. Is that what you mean here?

5 minutes ago, Mono said:

It's not entire obvious what you mean by vehicle rear. If you back up a car, you go in direction of the vehicle rear. Is that what you mean here?

Yes. The tilt-back is always towards the designed rear end of the MiniPro. The end that the steering bar attaches to.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, mrelwood said:

Yes. The tilt-back is always towards the designed rear end of the MiniPro. The end that the steering bar attaches to.

Somewhat surprising for someone coming from an EUC. But then, the physical construction of the MiniPro is also asymmetric to begin with. So it is probably simply not designed to be ridden backwards at higher speed.

17 minutes ago, Mono said:

Somewhat surprising for someone coming from an EUC.

I assume you are talking about the manufacturer and not me? :P

But then, the physical construction of the MiniPro is also asymmetric to begin with. So it is probably simply not designed to be ridden backwards at higher speed.

Correct, it is not. Still, since the current firmwares of the MiniPro are overly protective in every (other) possible and impossible manner to keep the rider safe, this behaviour is an astounding and dangerous oversight from the manufacturer.

Take the low battery situation for an example: MiniPro will tiltback fe. at 5km/h at the slightest incline. Rider gets a bit frustrated and bobbles around back and forth. When the rider starts reversing, MiniPro immediately tilts back, which increases the reversing speed until the rider falls down.

Edited by mrelwood
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, mrelwood said:

I assume you are talking about the manufacturer and not me?

More like one of the mainstream forum members like me, who have never stepped their feet on a MiniPro.

10 hours ago, Mono said:

Somewhat surprising for someone coming from an EUC. But then, the physical construction of the MiniPro is also asymmetric to begin with. So it is probably simply not designed to be ridden backwards at higher speed.

The tilt back would be tilt forward riding in reverse from my understanding.

Edited by SegwayMiniPro

On 4/1/2019 at 7:19 PM, redpoint5 said:

I'm going to have to experiment with backward travel. It is very unnatural steering as you have to lean to the outside of the turn.

This topic reminds me of the backwards bicycle. You can train yourself to do something backwards, but it will be very unnatural at first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFzDaBzBlL0

Without modification the steering won’t be just unnatural, it will be physically near impossible. When you turn left, you need to move your center of gravity to the left, but your knees must turn right. There is no room for the foot placement required for such wild acrobatics.

Maybe organize a bet on how long you’ll keep trying before you’ll give up? :D

On 4/1/2019 at 7:19 PM, redpoint5 said:

I'm going to have to experiment with backward travel. It is very unnatural steering as you have to lean to the outside of the turn.

This topic reminds me of the backwards bicycle. You can train yourself to do something backwards, but it will be very unnatural at first. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFzDaBzBlL0

Disassemble the steering wheel sensor and turn over the magnets. Thereby you invert the steering wheel.

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, i’m From italy.

Thanks to Mrn76 for his chip but i need your help or advice. I brought the motherboard to a center that builds and repairs electronic boards. they unsoldered the chip with a hot-air soldering iron but the chip does not take off because it is also glued underneath with a resin glue. what do you advise me to do?  someone who has already done this can explain to me how to remove the chip without ruining the card?

thanks!

5 hours ago, Tommy Hilfaker said:

Seems that the programming for a flashable BT version stopped...

That sucks. But somehow doesn’t surprise. I don’t understand why they didn’t start selling the app/firmware with a lacking or missing copy protection. Dozens had already sworn to buy, they’d be much better off than not releasing at all.

Where did you get the info btw?

• Upvote 1

I don't get any info about that, but this thead speak for itself: More than 20 pages in a few month and now no new infos for so long time.

That is a sure sign that the interest in bringing up this firmware is no more. The MiniPro is now 4(?) years old. There a newer and slightly better hoverboards and segways, so the customers for this hack are getting less more and more.

Edited by Tommy Hilfaker

I am still being told by the Chinese Ebay seller of the "MiniPRO control board with Swallowbot firmware" that they are waiting for product to arrive from the factory, expected within 2 weeks now. No idea whether they are a fraud, or whether there are multiple things called "Swallowbot," but I will let you know if that channel is real as soon as anything arrives. It will only take 4 days to get here once they hand it to DHL. As far as I can see, it is a reputable seller, whose feedback continues to be nearly perfect. So I haven't given up all hope yet. If it does prove to be @WEagle95 work I don't mind sending him a donation, and @MRN76too, but it would be nice to understand what caused their change of mind...

I'm thinking I will try to reverse the turning bar so I can drive backwards. If I understand correctly, there's no pushback when going up hills in reverse. Anyhow, the mod is reversible and free, so it would be a fun experiment.

7 hours ago, redpoint5 said:

I'm thinking I will try to reverse the turning bar so I can drive backwards. If I understand correctly, there's no pushback when going up hills in reverse. Anyhow, the mod is reversible and free, so it would be a fun experiment.

@MRN76 posted info on how to reverse the hall sensor it you want to operate a MiniPRO  in reverse. Several weeks ago :clap3:

On 4/26/2019 at 3:13 PM, trevmar said:

but it would be nice to understand what caused their change of mind...

All production from the three Ninebot factories is focused on kick scooters, a strong demand from rental operators
Kick scooters are very popular on the media
The latest news shows that they are hacked: nothing new for us, but, there was, recently, firmware updates (for the MINI PLUS), for the MINI PRO I do not know
These updates surely include this deadlock
Segway Ninebot has, in the past, three years ago, initiated proceedings against copy makers, fake Mini
Segway Ninebot loves protecting his patents
Last year, there were agreements between SEGWAY NINEBOT and ALIBABA Group to protect the brand
Last year, Segway Ninebot also received special attention from the Chinese Communist Party.
Everything about Kick Scooter currently has a direct impact on the full range of Segway Ninebot products
Segway Ninebot did not turn a blind eye to the speed hack of the Mini
or there is another reason

Jojo, if Ninebot had shut Swallowbot down I am sure that somebody would have told us. I doubt that, as the Belarus dealer is still (apparently) fully operational.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/14/2019 at 2:14 AM, Tommy Hilfaker said:

Do you have the apk file for the android controlling for changing easily the swallowbot firmware too?

That is not available for public consumption.  I received firmware by physically replacing the MCU.