Only for the brave. Russian Hack for the Mini Pro

On 6/27/2018 at 3:37 PM, WEagle95 said:

My app do not shows the speed or any other parameters. It's only a flashing tool. Firmware is still compatible with Ninebot mobile application.

Does anybody know whether the latest Ninebot/Segway App in the US Android-Play-market works with v1.1.7 firmware, or with the Swallowbot firmware? I have located some old app versions from March 2016, but I cannot get them to initialize, as they fail to log a user  into the current ninebot/segway website. Anybody have suggestions I could try? Either old app versions which work with the v1.1.7 or the Swallowbot firmware?

Currently I run two 2018 US MiniPro on the latest app version 1.4.5 and firmware version 1.4.1

13 hours ago, trevmar said:

Does anybody know whether the latest Ninebot/Segway App in the US Android-Play-market works with v1.1.7 firmware, or with the Swallowbot firmware? I have located some old app versions from March 2016, but I cannot get them to initialize, as they fail to log a user  into the current ninebot/segway website. Anybody have suggestions I could try? Either old app versions which work with the v1.1.7 or the Swallowbot firmware?

Currently I run two 2018 US MiniPro on the latest app version 1.4.5 and firmware version 1.4.1

It is no longer possible to use older versions of the application, segway ninebot has blocked server access to older versions of the application

Edited by jojo33

On Friday, June 29, 2018 at 11:45 AM, WEagle95 said:

Download installed firmware is not posible by security reasons. But i have most of ogriginal firmwares in my base and it is posible to install it back, replacing modded firmware.

Also i can save your bot configuration and activation status.

Great !

Than

nks

MRN76, I have gone to your website and cannot find the firmware or process to get Minipro mod. I need some more information please.

Thanks, James

• Like 1

Hi again

The site you are all talking about is the site of SwallowBot Firmware for NineBot Mini ??

If yes, is the Android app to Flash the Firmware ready ?? Where and when I can buy the mod Firmware and the app to Flash it by myself???

Thanks ;) B)

Yes, it is a modified Firmware to reduce the TiltBack and increase the speed, Alexey has done it, the same one that did the modified Firmware for the Xiaomi M365, but now it does not give signs of life and it does not respond anywhere. our doubts Patience, we hope you tell us something from one moment to another, just wait.

That modified firmware for the Mini Pro, which is now only sold in Russia only in a few distributors, I hope you will soon want to sell it in Europe.

I also mentioned that I was working on a modified Firmware for the Plus, but nothing, that does not answer and we are all nervous, we already want it.

Unknown.jpeg.05f088654c22536d49cb298d4780105e.jpeg

I just used Alexey's "Dump Editor 2.0.0.0" software to downgrade my 2018 MiniPro firmware to v1.1.7 from the v1.4.1 which the Segway app had upgraded it to. Segway's latest app still works OK, just as Alexey told us.and the app reports 1.1.7 is running. All the settings work too. I am really impressed with the quality of software from Alexey and his colleagues!

I am too tired to ride it this evening, although I did a quick run and it feels much more positive than the 1.4.1 firmware. I have mounted the larger 90/65-6.5 11" knobbly off-road tyres, yet balance was good and steady on the concrete. My deepest thanks to Alexey and all who have worked on making the MiniPro into a viable PT again. I will post more details as the days go by...

Edited by trevmar
typo
  • Upvote 1

Some tips on using MRN76 JTAG method to read your current firmware from your MiniPro CPU, save a backup copy, and produce 1.1.7 firmware already initialized with your serial number and activation - all using the MRN76 tools.

I used a cheap EBAY j-Link dongle, the same as in the MRN76 documentation, although I have a licensed SEGGER Micro as well. I used the old Segger jFlash software v4.20a which is floating around the forums. I installed it on Windows XP (probably works on 7/8/10 but I didn't test that). Before I connected up the jLink to the MiniPro circuit board I made sure I understood how it worked by connecting it to a "Blue Pill" STM32F103C8 development board ($7 from Amazon) and made sure I could set it up to safely read memory, and write memory, to that (cheap) CPU :) I did find the system occasionally wouldn't give good data, and that a "Target -> Unsecure Chip" was a quick command to get everything in sync again (this is a SEGGER bug I believe). 

I removed the main board from the MiniPro by removing the battery, and then the 4 bolts holding the aluminum transistor carrier to the frame, plus 4 screws holding the centre of the PCB in place. The board then unplugs and can be easily unplugged and moved to the test-lab/computer. I soldered the two connections for RESET (jLink pin 15) (NRST) and 3.3V, plus the ground and 2 data wires, gave a "Target -> Read Back -> Selected Sectors" command and after 20 seconds I was able to save the read data as a BIN file, "Backup.bin."  This can be used to restore your MiniPro if you don't like the downgraded firmware. I converted that file to a v1.1.7 firmware file using MRN76's "Dump Editor Ninebot v2.0.0.0" but I have seen earlier versions of this editor around the forums, which probably would work OK.

Really quite simple once I bought the jLink dongle and the 'BluePill' and overcame my trepidation at most definitely voiding any warranty on the MiniPro :):) This is clearly a task for somebody who understands computer hardware. Have your technicians/friends/kids/grandkids explain each step to you before you let them play with your treasured MiniPro.

Edited by trevmar
typo
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Sorry, I forgot to say that the aluminum transistor carrier needs a thin layer of silicon grease to conduct heat to the diecast chassis. When I took out my board, the silicone grease was far too thick, and not even covering the whole interface surface. I cleaned all that away and just used a thin film of grease enhanced with silver when I reassembled the assembly. It only needs to be thick enough to fill the tiny holes in the surface of the casting (several thousandths of an inch) .I was frankly appalled at how poorly the factory mounting had been done, and surprised I hadn't had a failure during the first few months of use. Ask a local electronic hardware guru to help you with this, or, at the very least, make sure that you can replace the factory grease, if that's what you decide to do :)

• Like 1

Unlucky, I will need something more user friendly....:unsure: and overall without any hardware assemby/disassembly... or to find someone that will do this job for me.... :rolleyes: I'll pay for this....;)

Zugu, disassembling the board from the MiniPro is really only a 15 minute (or less) job for a techie; but allow 30 minutes for an aspiring techie :) Similarly, reprogramming the CPU is simple for anybody who has worked with ST microprocessors before. In Italy there are many developers for ST microprocessors :)

Like MRN76, I have now put a JTAG programming plug inside my MiniPro battery compartment, so as to make it real easy to reprogram to different firmware versions (so I only needed to remove the control board once) :)

Edited by trevmar

trevmar,  In this topic we discuss the modified firmware, with a maximum speed of 23 km / h (25 on high rubber). Firmware comes with the phone by bluetooth. Waiting for WEagle95
  will make it possible to put the firmware remotely.

MRN76, I really appreciate all you have done for the community, and that you have produced the wonderful tools that will allow my MiniPro to continue to operate, regardless of the decision made by Xiaomi/Ninebot/Segway to terminate the product and perhaps close down the Ninebot server my phone-app needs to log into. I am extremely grateful for the work you have done, and are doing.

In my case I needed to overcome what I saw as a major safety problem for me, and I needed it NOW. I have been in ocmmunication with WEagle95 for over a month. Eagle has been very helpful, but I just couldn't wait until the new firmware becomes available and tested. Have you any update on when this will happen?

Thanks for everything the team has done, and is doing, to help the community. Perhaps you could give us a status on the availability of the modified firmware? I will buy a set as soon as it becomes available...

1 hour ago, Alex_from_NZ said:

Yes me too, 18kph is just too slow. 

For me, the bigger deal was being thrown whenever I tried to glide into our driveway. We have a small 2cm ledge at the transition between bitumen and concrete. Every other driveway on the street is fine, but ours gave just the correct storm of sensor conditions for the 1.4.1 firmware to fail. No such problem with the 1.1.7 however, and it is so much more RESPONSIVE than the 1.4.1 - it is so much steadier to get on and off, and more responsive to the rider's balance.

What I am looking for in Swallowbot is its ability to moderate the Push-Back. We have lots of steep hills around our home, and I only need a gentle reminder that I am taking them too fast, I don't need to be summarily pushed back off the vehicle! :) The batteries are rated by LG at 140 degrees F, why does the firmware push back so firmly above 90 degrees? I guess its the same paranoia that leads Ninebot to only charge their 2018 batteries to 55 volts (4.0V/cell) rather than the 63V (4.2V/cell) like every camera, phone, and other lithium-using device I own...That's a 20% loss in in capacity from the 320W that has proven fine in previous years. Easily fixed by using more4mini's 63V charger, however...

Edited by trevmar

45 minutes ago, MRN76 said:

in 9bot charging 61-63v (It is adjusted by the resistor, if at you 55v - that simply unscrew the resistor to 62v) 

True. Interesting to note that the mains power meter shows 220 Watts (real watts) when using the more4mini charger-brick, so it obviously is putting out more than 2 amps. Similarly, the battery management software in the MiniPro seems to be happy to soak up the extra current being pushed to it...It charges fast!