Only for the brave. Russian Hack for the Mini Pro

Pulled the trigger.  Have to give it a try.  Probably should have just got the Motherboard, since it could take me a while to get to a project like this, but it just seems like a fun thing to try if I can find some of my old equipment or find a different tip for my general pencil-iron.  

1 hour ago, Alex_from_NZ said:

Like how ninebot protected the firmware? ?? Sorry mate, I don't believe it. 

I'd believe it, it won't be that easy these guys were not born yesterday.  I'm not that familiar with the chip and it's embedded protection options, so I'm not saying someone won't be able to do it because it seems that there is some encryption used based on your MiniPro Serial number, so it is not only relying on on-chip fuses to disable features.  Still I'm sure they have thought about it.

I'm with you though, I'd rather see a download even if a J-Tag programmer is required, because it means it can be updated if needed, and easy to return to stock for resale.

I think If they opened a PayPal account for support funds, they would do better (make more money), than trying to sell the chips in Motherboards or naked.  Still they may be doing this as a stop gap, and will eventually have something they are comfortable with distributing in a more flexible way.  Still a nice PayPal account should generate a fair income, and it can be done now, as MiniPro adoption is likely on the decline I feel so time is of the essence.  

However it is up to them, and we should respect that.  Anyone else is free to independently develop a similar mod, anyone that can read their chips and reverse the encryption (if it is used), can probably develop the same mod on their own.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, LuciferN said:

Come to us to Russia on a Winter Universiade 2019 in Krasnoyarsk , take  with yourself Segway Ninebot mini!  At the same time we will install  the  firmware:efee8319ab:

I was in Kazan when the Universiade was held there. It is a pretty amazing event, even for a city that size.

Siberia? I have never visited there... But the -7 degrees daily average temperature (in March) would limit the sight-seeing a little :) :) I was in Moscow during a cold spell a few Christmases ago, and I do think I prefer the weather above zero :)

this is their reply:

Hello. Currently, the firmware is distributed to other countries by the method of soldering the processor. Mileage, running time, serial number, date of activation. All this data can be made any (as you wish)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Processor-STM32F103RC-with-SwallowBot-firmware-for-Ninebot-Mini-Pro/352485685289
Without the experience of soldering it is hard to do. You can watch the video how to do it.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=soldering+lqfp64

Edited by Mapyx

By this way, I never got my Swallowbot firmware in my 2 miniPro.... :( since will be out a flashing Android app to flash forth and back ALL the Firmware releases I want to try ;)

Luckily, lately I'm back on EUC with my new KS18L and finally got the speed and mean speed I need and comfortable with...B) 

I'm gradually leave my Segway and mini Segway at home.....:rolleyes: :facepalm: abandoned technology ....:sleep1:

Edited by zugu

The biggest problem in replacing a CPU on a circuit board is getting the original CPU off without hurting the copper contacts on the board. Soldering is less of a problem than desoldering. I use a hot-air gun and suction probe designed specifically for this purpose, but I saw a video of an alternate method which looked like it might work. Note that this method should also work for putting the new chip onto the old contacts (with a bit of non-residue flux to help), but the big problem with it is that components near the CPU will also tend to 'float away' when their solder gets to melting temperature too...

I think that once you arrive to desolder the original chip would be better to solder in place a socket in order to easily components replacing if you wish to put back the original component ;)

Must be valuate if the high of socket + CPU will fit to permit to remount the motherboard in place....:confused1:

4 hours ago, zugu said:

I think that once you arrive to desolder the original chip would be better to solder in place a socket  ;)

This CPU clocks at 70MHz. You need to bypass the power and ground very close to the pins of such a CPU. A socket will not work, in my opinion, too much inductance in the leads. 

You would need a different chip package to use a socket i believe. 

The way i see it there are several options. If one has a low heat soldering pencil.

1. Cut the pins first if you don't want to keep the original chip, then removing the pins off the board is easy without damaging the board. Should be easy enough if you have the right cutters.

2. Use the wire lift technique, with this 64pin package it should work fine. One may want to practice first and may not have practice material. 

3. Use the ChipQuick desoldering method, mentioned earlier. This seems easy enough for any hobbiest without a rework station, if they have a low heat iron they should not damage the board. An improvised hot air blower could also work with this approach. 

I'm interested in learning how to manipulate firmware, but I'm not sure of the procedure. I'm a developer by trade but I've never touched hardware/firmware. I'd like to try my hand at cracking this, and I'm confident I can with enough information.

What tools/programs would I need?

So far the tools I have in mind:

Soldering Iron.

ST-Link V2.

If anyone could link me to any helpful videos/guides would be quite helpful!

Anj, welcome! But I have been programming a long time. You can find some code I wrote 38 years ago at http://www.retroarchive.org/cpm/cdrom/SIMTEL/SIGM/VOLS000/VOL041/CDOSCOPY.Z80   Consequently, the things that you need to know no longer interest me :( I would suggest you post on the STM32duino message boards, which you can find around http://STM32duino.com

Hope that helps... While we focus on Ninebot/Segway miniPRO issues, the STM32duino group focuses on learning firmware and hardware.:(

Edited by trevmar

My chip is somewhere between New York and California, I should have a report mid-next-week.

Having prepared my equipment to handle the chip, however, the Motherboard replacement is looking more and more attractive :)

Well, after nearly a month of waiting I got an email from the postal service saying my chip was "out for delivery." Problem was that the package had been routed to Oregon, a thousand miles away... (Russian '91360' looks so much like '97360')(Sigh..)

So it looks like next week before I will have anything in my hands to test out :(

Sorry to hear that.  My chip came today, but not ready to tackle that job yet.  I'll try to get ready though, but it could be a while as EUC weather is ending fast and have to make the most of it.

Edited by FreeRide

10 hours ago, trevmar said:

Well, after nearly a month of waiting I got an email from the postal service saying my chip was "out for delivery." Problem was that the package had been routed to Oregon, a thousand miles away... (Russian '91360' looks so much like '97360')(Sigh..)

So it looks like next week before I will have anything in my hands to test out :(

Russian Post indicated the correct index. It is a pity that it happened ((:(

20181109_121458.jpg

Maybe some US postal employee thought it would be a good laugh to pretend to misread the address... This sometimes happens with mail from Poland, too...

At times like this, with the #HillFire and #WoolseyFire wildfires all around us, I really don't want a MiniPRO pushing me off backwards if I ever had to use it to evacuate.. Thanks for all your work on the firmware!

At this point all is still OK here, though...

Edited by trevmar