Only for the brave. Russian Hack for the Mini Pro

7 minutes ago, trevmar said:

Yes, I know this is a bit off-topic, but nothing is happening on the "Russian Hack" as far as I can see. No details on what is supposed to do have been posted, just the videos... We need some reviews, please... (I am especially interested in hill-climbing ability)

Well, it's not so easy for us to make cool video review, especially for English-speaking people. The only video we have about SwallowBot is all about speed limit - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w0fvGJLBgo
We can try to film something useful, but, it is autumn in Russia... The weather is not so great.

By the way, check out this one. https://youtu.be/qIOwC-n1q8 Xiaomi Ninebot mini, full "original" version. No firmware, no larger tires, just our master Ivan :D 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ninebot.run said:

Well, it's not so easy for us to make cool video review, especially for English-speaking people.By the way, check out this one. https://youtu.be/qIOwC-n1q8 Xiaomi Ninebot mini, full "original" version. No firmware, no larger tires, just our master Ivan :D 

Yes, it is amazing what some MiniPRO will do. But none of my four MiniPROs work as well as that, even with firmware 1.1.7. There is no way they could be coaxed to perform that well. Mine cuts off and throws the rider forward from the 1" bump at the end of our driveway. I was thrown forward from a single 1" pebble on a well-kept dirt road and badly twisted my ankle.  I think that the "safe" firmware sold in the USA is greatly reduced in peak power. I am hoping that Swallowbot will give me at least the same performance as Ivan demonstrates :) But I have no idea if it will. No specifications have been published, Alexander has not even described exactly what Swallowbot does. That would be far more valuable than a video :):)

Edited by trevmar

25 minutes ago, Ninebot.run said:

Well, it's not so easy for us to make cool video review, especially for English-speaking people. The only video we have about SwallowBot is all about speed limit - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w0fvGJLBgo
We can try to film something useful, but, it is autumn in Russia... The weather is not so great.

By the way, check out this one. https://youtu.be/qIOwC-n1q8 Xiaomi Ninebot mini, full "original" version. No firmware, no larger tires, just our master Ivan :D 

Very cool video! 

I really hope the firmware is available soon to be either j-tag flashed or updated via Bluetooth. ?????

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, trevmar said:

Yes, I know this is a bit off-topic, but nothing is happening on the "Russian Hack" as far as I can see. No details on what is supposed to do have been posted, just the videos... We need some reviews, please... (I am especially interested in hill-climbing ability)

For now i can only tell, that Alexey and Alexandr are working on Android app. They're trying to improve security and thinks about "how to receve money for our firmware and don't let it be stolen". Because a lot of work has been done already, a lot of time has been spent...

I understand, that i don't give all of you enough information about SwallowBot. I asked Alexey and now waiting for answer from him.

1 minute ago, Ninebot.run said:

For now i can only tell, that Alexey and Alexandr are working on Android app. They're trying to improve security and thinks about "how to receve money for our firmware and don't let it be stolen". Because a lot of work has been done already, a lot of time has been spent...

I understand, that i don't give all of you enough information about SwallowBot. I asked Alexey and now waiting for answer from him.

I understand that completely, please know as another Alex though I would never hurt another Alex. If you release me a version of the software I promise to keep it safe ??

Is either Alex the same AlexNZ from thingiverse?? 

• Like 1

Both Alexey and Alexander are doing an amazing job! But the $200 I am about to spend to get Swallowbot mostly goes to the motherboard supplier, not to them. As for security, they themselves have cracked Ninebot's security, of course somebody is going to crack whatever Swallowbot puts in place! The key thing is to be visible in the community, so that the $200 I will need to pay to get Swallowbot goes fully into their pockets. Additionally, few are going to pirate their firmware if they continue to make improvements. Buying it is an investment in our collective future.

Yesterday I was installing a new version of the Segway Android app in my phone, and it asked me to confirm that it was to be used in the USA region. I was just thinking maybe the app signals the firmware in some way to turn on the restrictive rules that are making my MiniPRO such a pain, by comparison with the Russian videos! Is Swallowbot going to perform the same when talking with a USA app as when talking with a Russian app? There do seem to be Geographic factors in the app....

3 hours ago, Ninebot.run said:

As soon as I get my motherboard I will post some English videos showing off the ShallowBot firmware.?

Edited by AceMartian
More information
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 10/9/2018 at 6:07 AM, trevmar said:

Yes, it is amazing what some MiniPRO will do. But none of my four MiniPROs work as well as that, even with firmware 1.1.7. There is no way they could be coaxed to perform that well. Mine cuts off and throws the rider forward from the 1" bump at the end of our driveway. I was thrown forward from a single 1" pebble on a well-kept dirt road and badly twisted my ankle.  I think that the "safe" firmware sold in the USA is greatly reduced in peak power. I am hoping that Swallowbot will give me at least the same performance as Ivan demonstrates :) But I have no idea if it will. No specifications have been published, Alexander has not even described exactly what Swallowbot does. That would be far more valuable than a video :):)

Interesting.  I drive over bumps all the time.... mostly on city streets here in LA.... without issue.  Sometimes I am even shocked that it can handle them considering how large they are.  I never give them a second thought anymore really.

Looking formward to updates!  Great work so far!

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, IRK said:

Interesting.  I drive over bumps all the time.... mostly on city streets here in LA.... without issue.  Sometimes I am even shocked that it can handle them considering how large they are.  I never give them a second thought anymore really.

Looking formward to updates!  Great work so far!

+1 if I'm paying attention I have no problem going over good sized rock or sticks. I pay attention and use the right speed for the terrain, the only time i"ve got into trouble was when I was not paying attention and trying to do two things and once while moving.  Pretty amazed at hoe the minipro handles things.  Still I'm very much aware of what can happen if one wheel has more traction that the other for more than a brief interval, and I try to keep both wheels on the same plane, and reduce weight on any one that might ben encountering a larger object that it needs to over come that the other wheel is not going to also be affected by.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Thanks FreeRide and IRK. The problem I am having is that the roads in my vicinity are very steep, even the off-road dirt tracks, and the MiniPRO really is having trouble staying upright on them. When it gives up it cuts out, throwing the rider's weight forward, and then a few seconds later starts again and runs into the riders feet (or body, if you have fallen over). The MiniPRO were unusable until activated, and dangerous during the first 50Km, but seem to be much more stable now. But I am going to try a hardware tweak to give the motors more peak power, just like Alexei does with his Xiaomi scooter software, trading hardware safety for rider safety :) Will report what I find...

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, trevmar said:

Thanks FreeRide and IRK. The problem I am having is that the roads in my vicinity are very steep, even the off-road dirt tracks, and the MiniPRO really is having trouble staying upright on them. When it gives up it cuts out, throwing the rider's weight forward, and then a few seconds later starts again and runs into the riders feet (or body, if you have fallen over). The MiniPRO were unusable until activated, and dangerous during the first 50Km, but seem to be much more stable now. But I am going to try a hardware tweak to give the motors more peak power, just like Alexei does with his Xiaomi scooter software, trading hardware safety for rider safety :) Will report what I find...

Something sounds not right with your experience.  Differs greatly from everyone else..  What is the hardware tweak?

57 minutes ago, Alex_from_NZ said:

Something sounds not right with your experience.  Differs greatly from everyone else..  What is the hardware tweak?

Yes, something is not right. I have been waiting for somebody to give me comparative speeds up hills (I started a topic on that) but nobody else seems to be operating in a hilly environment. All I can do is compare the four units I (and my wife) bought. At least we got them at a good price (the two NM320 were factory refurbished). They all behave the same, except that two are not to the 50Km mark yet, and this has been a problem. We will now make sure they all get to the 50Km mark before doing any more riding (it is a challenge to find a flat surface to run the miles safely, but a local main road does have bicycle tracks, I have been using that).

We got trapped at low mileage as both of us were thrown at the 2cm ledge at the bottom of our driveway. so we have only been riding infrequently. I was thrown so badly the first time we rode in our local park that I couldn't walk for a week, and comfortable walking took over a month to come back. It's 3 months on now, and I am able to ride comfortably now, but I am spending most of my time making sure I understand the safety issues with the MiniPRO on hills, because it is only marginally safe up and down our local streets here, typically beeping/pushback at 8-10Km/h up and 18Km/h down. Later on we will try off-road again...

Hardware tweak is to drop the PWM motor-current-sense resistors on the mother board to 67% of their OEM value, and see what parameters of the ride change. That change should increase the maximum current being fed to the motors to 150% of design max, and thus reduce the safety margins the engineers designed to protect the battery pack. That's fine, however, the current is still within battery spec. I have tested my batteries thoroughly, and will keep a very close eye on them while they age. In any case, maybe I will only need 20% or so, I won't know until I try it... (Alexei apparently overpowers the motor in his M365 firmware).

Edited by trevmar
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Marius Boye Hansen said:

@Ninebot.run Could you please provide contact information on how to buy a reprogrammed motherboard etc?
I would really like to upgrade my minipro.

If I understand the posts correctly it might be better to wait for the android APP that will be able to reprogram without touching the hardware?

Hi! If you want to buy a motherboard with preinstalled SwallowBot - simply write me a letter to info@ninebot.run.

About Android App - we don't know when it will be released. This year or next year. Developers can't say me anything specific.

6 hours ago, Ninebot.run said:

This year or next year. Developers can't say me anything specific.

Can you give us progress info on Swallowbot, as neither Alexei or Alexander seem to be posting progress here. If we buy the programmed motherboard, how uo-to-date will the Swallowbot on it be? How will we upgrade that version when improvements are made to Swallowbot? I am particularly interested in progress on this item listed on mimod.ru's Russian language Swallowbot page, and not its English page. It is:

"- remove the penalties for speeding and driving over bumps at all (warning of excess power and short-term penalties for this will remain, is not safe without them)"

I would guess that penalties for "excess power" are killing me on the hills. Pushing back at 11Km/h is really hard for me to adjust to. When I ride slowly it tends to occasionally surge to 12-13Kph, and being tipped back all the time is really bad news on a hill (sometimes hard to retain your balance). The speed is even lower once the battery gets to 50%... And what is this about a penalty for riding over 'bumps'?? Ninebot should have realized that is often not under the rider's control...:confused1:

• Like 2

On 10/3/2018 at 2:54 AM, AceMartian said:

I'm about to order a motherboard with the firmware already installed.?

Motherboard is expensive. I purchased several processors, and upload modified firmware to them. I put on ebay

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, MRN76 said:

Motherboard is expensive. I purchased several processors, and upload modified firmware to them. I put on ebay

Do you think that chip can be soldered with a fine tip on a standard pencil, or does one need to flow solder it?  Do you know the name of that chip packaging so I can look up soldering tips?

Looks like that is the LQFP64 package, correct?

Edited by FreeRide

Just now, FreeRide said:

Do you think that chip can be soldered with a fine tip on a standard pencil, or does one need to flow solder it?  Do you know the name of that chip packaging so I can look up soldering tips?

STM32F103RC, LQFP64, It is better to find a friend who knows how to solder.

trevmar made an order.

25 minutes ago, MRN76 said:

STM32F103RC, LQFP64, It is better to find a friend who knows how to solder.

trevmar made an order.

Thanks. I think I can do it, just have to dig out some tools from a past life.  I have to run out, but later when I can find my device number I will order one.

1 hour ago, FreeRide said:

Thanks. I think I can do it, just have to dig out some tools from a past life.

It's not too bad. But there is a gunk covering it for water-protection that will have to be removed, and getting the chip off without harming the traces under the chip is going to be a challenge. But LQP64 is usually OK with an air-gun and soldering iron. I cheat by using a low-temperature solder paste when mounting these packages to an already soldered board, and I usually snip off the leads to the current CPU before desoldering (this protects the PCB traces). So there will be no going back for me...!!

CPU_pinout.gif

Edited by trevmar