Electric Motorcycles

Now that electric motors are becoming more powerful and that the evolution of batteries is on the horizon electric motorcycles will be a growing trend. Motorcycles themselves are already highly gas efficient and their electric counterparts are not currently in a position to overtake them. But maybe after a few technological breakthroughs it will be a good investment.

Here is one of the few websites that have high speed 70 mph capable motorcycles. http://www.zeromotorcycles.com

Check it out if you're interested. I'll post more if people want to see it or if i happen to come across something with outrageous specs like >250 miles per charge at 60 mph with peaks of 90 mph. I bet its possible, but god damn, it would cost a lot of money.

• Like 1

My larger engine motorbikes weren't actually that much more efficient than my car that had double the engine capacity. They weren't fuel injected though. Also, while they may use less gas they are generally much more polluting than a car due to the lack of bulky emission reduction equipment such as EGR systems and catalytic converters.

Someone at my work just got an electric moped. I don't know much about it but it looks cool, is quiet, and doesn't stink! :thumbup:

Edited by WARPed1701D
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, WARPed1701D said:

Someone at my work just got an electric moped. I don't know much about it but it looks cool, is quiet, and doesn't stink! :thumbup:

Action Wheelsport in St. Petersburg, FL. carry GenZe e-Scooters. These are premium e-scooters meant to compete with high-end 50cc mopeds. Similarly, these are limited to 30mph to keep them street legal without requiring a motorcycle license.

2.0s_WHT-1024x735.png

If I weren't concerned about the speed limitation, I might have considered buying... (Also, a bit pricey with all the options). ?

Edited by RayRay
and I have a moto license.
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, RayRay said:

Action Wheelsport in St. Petersburg, FL. carry GenZe e-Scooters. These are premium e-scooters meant to compete with high-end 50cc mopeds. Similarly, these are limited to 30mph to keep them street legal without requiring a motorcycle license.

2.0s_WHT-1024x735.png

If I weren't concerned about the speed limitation, I might have considered buying... (Also, a bit pricey with all the options). ?

That looks about right. Especially the large open storage box behind the seat. I'll have to take a closer look next time she rides it.

There are a lot of mopeds around these parts. Based on your comment about skirting licensing I wonder if it is because there are so many stoners and drunks in the area and they all lost their licenses (the lady at work is not one of them)!

Just now, WARPed1701D said:

There are a lot of mopeds around these parts. Based on your comment about skirting licensing I wonder if it is because there are so many stoners and drunks in the area and they all lost their licenses (the lady at work is not one of them)!

DUI Scooter? (Locals may have coined the phrase...)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I think it would be cool to see what sort of electrocycle Tesla Motors could come up with.  Imagine autopilot on an electric motorcycle!  :w00t2:

If they did that, they would need to create a self balancing system for the bike. Imagine not having the bike fall over, ever, and the lean to turn would be automatic and safer. And the bikes could be named, Tesla Fireball.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

$2500-$2800 gets you an entire electric motorcycle.  :w00t2:

https://www.cscmotorcycles.com/New-Inventory-2019-CSC-Motorcycles-Motorcycle-Scooter-City-Slicker-Azusa--5652551

EDIT:  Ohh I see @RayRay already mentioned this one above a while ago... whoops!  :efeec46606:

The first guy also rides EUCs!  Man, that learning process brings back memories!  Unfortunately!  :crying:

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
  • Like 1

Too bad it wasn’t faster like a Dualtron.  The second guy was able to ride to work on his, but it looked like the bike was a bit underpowered up hills only reaching about 35 mph?  Top speed was about 47 mph or so.

It’s weird though how much more “wheel” you can get in that price range.  I guess our batteries are more expensive, but something is still a little askew price-wise though considering the amount of engineering and production work that goes into a motorcycle versus EUC/e-scooter.

8 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Too bad it wasn’t faster like a Dualtron.  The second guy was able to ride to work on his, but it looked like the bike was a bit underpowered up hills only reaching about 35 mph?  Top speed was about 47 mph or so.

It’s weird though how much more “wheel” you can get in that price range.  I guess our batteries are more expensive, but something is still a little askew price-wise though.

When you look at a GotWay monster and compare it to the motorcycle, you do seem to get a lot more for the dolllar with the bike.  

I drove to work this morning checking my speed to see what it would take to keep with traffic on a standard 45 mp road. The answer is 50 mph, 

I would still work great downtown. Speeds rarely get above 35 mph

• Like 1

Ditto on the cool brake lights!  :w00t2:  What would be cooler is if a company like Gotway were to do a joint EUC venture with Zong Shen to produce something together.  With their long term experience with two wheeled rides in China, I bet Zong Shen could bring a lot to the table in terms of shell engineering and design.  Sometimes a bit of collaboration can bring together the best of both worlds.  Here's a product brief on the City Slicker E-moto.

http://www.cineco.cc/English/Index/product/catid/35/id/7.html

(oh oh server crashed)

I wonder whether going with a hub motor instead of the belt drive would up the speed capabilities.  It sure looks like they got a pretty good design department, but it's best to wait for the reviews about the build quality...

@Jason McNeil - do you think there might be any interest in the US for these reasonably priced Chinese e-moto's?  I guess bumping up the speed requires a motorcycle license, but at least then you can register it, get it insured, and legally ride the streets.  BTW, Jason, not that you don't have your hands full already doing stuff, but you need to publish a book like these guys!  :w00t2:

https://www.amazon.com/5000-Miles-At-8000-RPM/dp/1517355354#customerReviews

• 2 months later...
10 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

:dribble:  Holy Fritolies!  Me likey!  :w00t2:

I have been a fan of lightning motorcycles since they first hit back in 2014. Fastest street legal motorcycle on the planet; hands down. The problem is the 40K price tag. My Suzuki Hyabusa; the fastest bike on the planet before the lightning was 13k brandstankinspankin new. 

Edited by Lutalo
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Want a good laugh?  Then check this one out. 

http://daymak.com/em2.html

I've been seeing ads for it, so my curiosity got the best of me and I checked it out.  From the pics, it looks like a legit electric motorcycle, but the red flags show up quickly, and it only gets worse the more you look. 

First red flag:  "does not require a license or insurance to operate"

Second:  Uses a lead acid battery

Third:  500W motor 

Nail in the coffin:  30kph top speed.  :laughbounce2:

14 hours ago, neurokinetik said:

Want a good laugh?  Then check this one out. 

http://daymak.com/em2.html

I've been seeing ads for it, so my curiosity got the best of me and I checked it out.  From the pics, it looks like a legit electric motorcycle, but the red flags show up quickly, and it only gets worse the more you look. 

Second:  Uses a lead acid battery

Third:  500W motor 

Nail in the coffin:  30kph top speed.  :laughbounce2:

Apparently it qualifies as an electric bicycle... and only 300 charges?? that's really lame.

15 hours ago, neurokinetik said:

We've got cars like that (although in Belgium they do require insurance and a very simple to acquire license)

Aixam-Minauto-GT-Brommobiel-1-1.jpg

Top speed 28mph

• 11 months later...

Sadly, it appears that the GenZe line of electric scooters are to be no more... :(

Micah-GenZe-header.jpg?resize=1024,512

Say goodbye: The only made-in-America electric scooter company closes

The prices on these kept creeping up until they were way too expensive for the 50cc scooters they were supposed to compete with. (Note: 50cc scooters are limited to 30mph.)

They've also been outclassed by newer electric scooters; (such as the Niu NGT which offers 125cc like performance, but still cost less than the latest GenZe 2.0e).:confused1:

niu-ngt1.jpg?resize=1024,991

It looks like they sell Niu scooters at my local Vespa shop... Hmm? (I'll pass on the 30mph limited ones, but that NGT model looks tempting.)

Edited by RayRay