Cyclist Animosity

Roo Williams

Out for a ride with 2 other guys that live local to me (KS14s and MCM4) last Wed. Rode up on this punk looking cyclist wearing a sleeveless denim jacket with patches on it and he was being a bit of a dick hopping and kicking the bikes rear end out in the cycle lane as if to prevent us passing. We eventually were able to get past and as I’m riding upfront on my Tesla I hear a commotion from behind and this guy on the bike has thrown an elbow into the KS14s dude on his way past and is riding up the middle of the road passing us shouting ‘you need bigger batteries!!’. MCM4 gives chase and in seeing red rides through the beeper and goes down, I then give chase and I think the guy is shocked to see one of us drawing up on him, pulls out his U lock and starts holding it ready to swing at me! I know that my single point of contact vs his two wheels stands no chance in this situation so I ride alongside him at a safe distance calling him out as a c*nt amongst other expletives. After a short distance I turn back just in case MCM4 needs help after the bail and he’s back on his wheel with eyes wide and a bloody elbow riding alongside KS14s. We regroup and start to chat about what we’d just witnessed and strategy is  exchanged for getting the guy off his bike at speed. The Sega game ‘Road Rash’ is mentioned as is a shoe lace with nuts and bolts hanging from it.

I have experienced ‘get out of the fucking cycle lane’, been flipped the bird and been called a ‘piece of shit’ by a cyclist as I passed (only to slow down and try and get him to repeat it, which he wouldn’t). Only today a butch looking fixie chick shock her head condescendingly as I passed her at a junction, but I’ve never seen it get physical before.

I am also a cyclist and have ridden fixed and single speed for 13 years in London and NYC. I ride the cycle lanes with respect and safety for myself and those around me so it’s a shame that these tribal tendencies exist.

NYC is a bit of a mosh pit for culture so this stuff is gonna happen. I’m not interested in beefing between modes of transport unless something weird happens so I usually keep it cordial and prefer to ask people why rather than shout back.

Anyone else experienced anything like this? What happened?

Edited by Roo Williams
  • Upvote 3

I've been congratulated on being 'arsehole of the week' before but that was a walker on a mixed use path. Other than that we have a lot of recreational cyclists here on very expensive bikes. They normally won't even give me the time off day while I'm riding my Brompton but a few times on my wheel I've had them wave their finger disapprovingly at me for being in the bike lane. The others that have bothered to give me any attention have actually given positive comments. No verbal abuse and physical issues yet. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I'd have responded poorly.  For sure would have escalated the situation.  I don't say that proudly, either.  I likely would have rode up behind him and attempted to pull him off his bike.  I had a few BMXers throw something at me as I rode by and turned around and chased one of them down and pulled him off his bike.  

• Like 1

I'm kinda wondering about the idea of carrying some pepper spray with me.  I don't like the idea of having to carry it or the possibility of using it, but I also don't like the idea of being assaulted.  It could potentially prevent a situation like this from escalating to something more potentially dangerous.  

Edited by mezzanine
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

I carry it for dog walking. Mainly to deal with a dog (or their owner) if it tries to attack me or my dog as people seem to feel it is OK to walk in public spaces with their dogs off leash, no voice control, and with the opinion that every other dog wants to meet theirs, no questions asked, without considering that my 25 pound dog was once attacked by a group of larger dogs and will now respond to a big dog defensively potentially creating a problem. 

I've considered it for riding my bike and wheel but am still stupidly clinging to the hope that the world is decent and as I've only myself to defend when riding (no dog or wife) I take the chance. It feels like if I carry it I've given up my last shed of hope for humanity. 

I'm resisting the idea out of the same sense of not wanting to predispose myself to be in a confrontational mindset when out on the wheel.  All of my riding is in the city and negative encounters seem to be par for the course.  I'm trying to adapt my attitude to be less reactive and more defensive. 

I had a driver cut in front of me a week ago and start honking as he entered a parking lot and stay on his horn as I continued on.  I had the awareness that if I'd gone back, the situation would have escalated.  

The problem is when I face a situation like the BMXers throwing something at me or someone attempting to assault me like the OP experienced.  I had someone try to egg me last week as I was entering my building.  They missed and sped away, but if I could've retaliated, I would have.  It's those type of encounters that I can't easily brush off in the moment. 

Being the only EUCer in my city makes me extremely conspicuous and tempers some of my natural impulse to respond in a way that could come back to haunt me.  The novelty of the wheel seems to evoke a response in people in a way a bike wouldn't.  People can decide they want to fuck with you.  

Just writing this out has me questioning the value of riding.  You have enough of these kind of experiences and it starts to suck the fun out.  I've got to go meet someone in an hour and I'm weighing the odds of whether I'm going to have some kind of incident going there and back.  I'm guessing it's about one in four, based on the length of the trip.   

Edited by mezzanine
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Adumb said:

I still walk(ride) away, best to be the better (wo)man. If confrontation or contact is inevitable, end the situation instead of provoking a worse one. 

"Confront your enemies. Avoid them when you can. A gentleman will walk but never run."
Sting
Englishman in New York

No truer words spoken. :thumbup:

Edited by WARPed1701D
  • Upvote 2

This forum would not be the same without Hunka.  He provides a public service that no one else can match.  We would all be sad and weary without his amazing humor.  Face it, without Hunka  our lives would be meaningless. There is no EUC rider greater than Hunka.   

Hunka ,Remember you said $5 US not Canadian.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Where the heck is @LanghamP?  I'm sure he has some stories to tell from living in St. Louis, Missouri.  If he's still alive that is.  :blink:  Maybe that's a story in itself.  

I've been wondering this myself. I kind of hoped you'd use your mystic summoning ability to make him check in. He is a grumpy bastard with some funny views on the world but he was entertaining and I'd like to know he was doing OK.

• Like 2

Meanwhile, elsewhere in NYC:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5878191/Murdered-Bronx-boy-15-victim-MISTAKEN-IDENTITY.html

Bronx boy, 15, dragged out of a bodega and butchered could have been the victim of MISTAKEN IDENTITY after attackers confused him for a man in a sex video with one of their relatives

• WARNING: GRAPHIC CONTENT
  • Lesandro Guzman-Feliz, 15, was butchered in a frenzied attack on Wednesday
  • Video shows him being dragged from a bodega and slashed with a machete
  • Now cops fear he could have been victim of a tragic case of mistaken identity 
  • Could have been confused for man in a sex video involving attackers' relative

Was the boy killed?  I clicked the link above but it sent me to pop up hell like most news outlets.  I supposedly have the fastest internet in the US and could not handle it.  I need a pop up blocker!

16 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

Was the boy killed?  I clicked the link above but it sent me to pop up hell like most news outlets.  I supposedly have the fastest internet in the US and could not handle it.  I need a pop up blocker!

yes killed with machete

4 hours ago, Adumb said:

Some people are just nuts and it's best to avoid a confrontation since you do not know what they are capable of. I'm a physically fit tall 230 lb man, an armed forces vet, and I still walk(ride) away, best to be the better (wo)man. If confrontation or contact is inevitable, end the situation instead of provoking a worse one. 

ya, best thing i learned taking martial arts, u can’t win and u don’t know what u are dealing with. i remember a black belt in ft myers defended himself in a bar against an obnoxious drunk and the drunk hit his head on a step and died. they prosecuted the black belt for manslaughter and he went to jail.

only if u can’t escape or u are protecting someone else. i have a cwp but God forbid i’d ever have to use it. but still better judged by twelve than carried by six.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2