King Song e-Scooters

The Fat Unicyclist

So you may be aware that I have recently lost my sanity and started up an NZ PEV store - mainly EUC (hopefully) but also scooters for the less adventurous.

Anyway, I am now waiting for the delivery of my first order, which include two King Song scooter models;

King Song N1-b
Motor Size: 255 mm / 10"
Motor Power: 500 W
Voltage: 48 V
Maximum Speed: 40 kmh

King Song D11
Wheel Size: 280 mm / 11"
Motor Power: 1000 W ×2
Voltage: 60 V
Maximum Speed: 70 kmh

Based on the King Song reputation for quality, it will be interesting to see how these stack up against other (more established) brands.

And, yes, I will be posting reviews once I have some hardware!

AH!  MAN!   You tell me King Song makes a scooter but don't post any pictures!?  

What is the name of your store?   

The Fat Unicyclest's  Wheel Shop...........Wheel N' Zealand .............New Zealand Personal Electric Vehicles...........  Wheels for Heals....... Ah ? maybe not that last one.  Good luck with your store !

1 hour ago, RockyTop said:

AH!  MAN!   You tell me King Song makes a scooter but don't post any pictures!?  

What is the name of your store?   

The Fat Unicyclest's  Wheel Shop...........Wheel N' Zealand .............New Zealand Personal Electric Vehicles...........  Wheels for Heals....... Ah ? maybe not that last one.  Good luck with your store !

Actually there are some pictures of the D11 on my website... www.roll.nz 

But for your viewing pleasure, here is a video...

On 6/22/2018 at 10:20 AM, The Fat Unicyclist said:

So you may be aware that I have recently lost my sanity and started up an NZ PEV store - mainly EUC (hopefully) but also scooters for the less adventurous.

Anyway, I am now waiting for the delivery of my first order, which include two King Song scooter models;

King Song N1-b
Motor Size: 255 mm / 10"
Motor Power: 500 W
Voltage: 48 V
Maximum Speed: 40 kmh

King Song D11
Wheel Size: 280 mm / 11"
Motor Power: 1000 W ×2
Voltage: 60 V
Maximum Speed: 70 kmh

Based on the King Song reputation for quality, it will be interesting to see how these stack up against other (more established) brands.

And, yes, I will be posting reviews once I have some hardware!

good job. are u gonna be doing nz tours?

this is the first time i saw ur picture in that video. was that a group of little people u were riding with?

13 hours ago, novazeus said:

good job. are u gonna be doing nz tours?

this is the first time i saw ur picture in that video. was that a group of little people u were riding with?

With a combination of EUC and e-scooters, tours should be quite practical... Maybe even guided (for the right price).

And yes, my LA ride was with a number of "smaller" riders - it was quite interesting actually, there were several comment about how the larger (18" and 22") wheels seemed to "fit me better."

• 1 month later...

:w00t2:  That King Song E-scooter looks heavy duty!  Thanks for the unboxing video!  :popcorn:  Keep them coming!  People do like watching them and seeing behind the scenes footage.  Any chance to see a riding video with you on it to get your impressions, reactions, and thoughts as compared to EUCs?  I know it’s difficult as you don’t want to get a to be sold unit dirty or scuffed up, but what better way to sell these if people can see what you think of them.  Maybe keep one as a demo model / wife cruiser?   You could sell it for a demo discount price later on?

How heavy is it?  Is that folding mechanism solid?  It won’t fail suddenly over severe bumps?  How’s the fit and finish and build quality in general?  It sounds like the Dualtrons have some issues with their accelerator setups.  @yourtoys7 had to send his back right away.  It would be good to see a long term test of the King Song to see how it holds up out of the box.  Plus ride videos!!!  :w00t2:  Do you have a 360 camera? 

Give a Hunka an unboxing video, and he’ll want a 360 video!!!  :popcorn:  What kinda name is N1 D?  Com’on.  How about King Song Typhoon or Raptor or something a bit more memorable and impressive in the minds of consumers?

Don’t forget to put a link to the product!

https://www.roll.nz/scooters/10-17-king-song-d11.html#/50-battery-1326_wh

What are the laws concerning these like in NZ and OZ?  And T-shirts!  Where’s the “They see me Roll.nz, they likin’” TFU brand T-shirts?  Remember to include some business cards and stickers with each sale!

Edit:  BTW the video seemed to end a bit too soon.  Maybe a small denouement at the end about where you can buy scooter, cost, where you ship, webpage link, etc would be a good closing piece.  Great job though for the unboxing!

On ‎8‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 7:33 AM, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

:w00t2:  That King Song E-scooter looks heavy duty!  Thanks for the unboxing video!  :popcorn:  Keep them coming!  People do like watching them and seeing behind the scenes footage.  Any chance to see a riding video with you on it to get your impressions, reactions, and thoughts as compared to EUCs?  I know it’s difficult as you don’t want to get a to be sold unit dirty or scuffed up, but what better way to sell these if people can see what you think of them.  Maybe keep one as a demo model / wife cruiser?   You could sell it for a demo discount price later on?

How heavy is it?  Is that folding mechanism solid?  It won’t fail suddenly over severe bumps?  How’s the fit and finish and build quality in general?  It sounds like the Dualtrons have some issues with their accelerator setups.  @yourtoys7 had to send his back right away.  It would be good to see a long term test of the King Song to see how it holds up out of the box.  Plus ride videos!!!  :w00t2:  Do you have a 360 camera? 

Give a Hunka an unboxing video, and he’ll want a 360 video!!!  :popcorn:  What kinda name is N1 D?  Com’on.  How about King Song Typhoon or Raptor or something a bit more memorable and impressive in the minds of consumers?

Don’t forget to put a link to the product!

https://www.roll.nz/scooters/10-17-king-song-d11.html#/50-battery-1326_wh

What are the laws concerning these like in NZ and OZ?  And T-shirts!  Where’s the “They see me Roll.nz, they likin’” TFU brand T-shirts?  Remember to include some business cards and stickers with each sale!

Edit:  BTW the video seemed to end a bit too soon.  Maybe a small denouement at the end about where you can buy scooter, cost, where you ship, webpage link, etc would be a good closing piece.  Great job though for the unboxing!

So many questions! Which means you need some answers...

• Don't worry, it is a demo unit, and will get it plenty dirty (I just need to get my 'nads brass plated first).
  • The weight is 38 kg (84 lb).
  • The mechinism looks very solid (video to come).
  • I am happy to use a 360° camera - is that Celsius or Fahrenheit? 
  • I can't comment on the naming, but I may find a suitable backing track?
  • Thanks, the link has been added.
  • My TFU shirt was in the wash, but I will wear it the next time.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry everyone for the delay in getting some video content up... I have been distracted by my First World Tour (of New Zealand). But I am back now, and the Roll.nz VP of Scooters (aka. Mrs. TFU) has kindly completed a ride for your viewing pleasure!

It was a slightly slower ride, as one of the wheels was a KS-14M (with a maximum speed of 20 km/h) - but as our spring dries out, there will be more adventurous scooter rides for you all to watch...

• 3 months later...
On 8/5/2018 at 9:03 AM, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Okay you scooter peoples... Finally I have some toys to show you. So let me introduce you all to the King Song N1-D...

this scooter is really interesting me of late! 

How have the sales and upkeep gone with this model?

Would you say it's easy enough to grab parts when needed 

Congrats TFU on the new venture.  I hope it goes well for you.  FYI there's a typo on the page for this scoot'.  I'm pretty sure "Site stand" should be "side stand".  You're welcome.  I also felt uneasy every time you mentioned "all wheel drive"  surely "two wheel drive" would convey the same information without over reaching.  Just my 2c worth.

And Hunka is right that is possibly the most unimaginative name in all history.  I like Hunka's names much better.  Not your decision I know.  Maybe someone can have a word with King Song only to be totally ignored, as all western advice is.

4 hours ago, Siggy said:

this scooter is really interesting me of late!

Would you say it's easy enough to grab parts when needed 

Hi @Siggy… This is a very interesting scooter - potentially comparable to some of the Dualtron models.

It has a rather niche market - though today we took one out for a spin on a 15+ km loose gravel road and it didn't even flinch! It is an awesome ride!!!

As for parts, I can't really comment - so far we haven't needed any, but then that is a good thing. Compared to an EUC there are a lot more moving parts, though none of them have caused any issues for us so far.

I should point out that the head lamp bracket leaves a little to be desired and I am looking at some options there. Other than that, the only thing I want to change is to chuck on some street tyres to see how it handles on sealed roads.

3 hours ago, Smoother said:

Congrats TFU on the new venture.  I hope it goes well for you.  FYI there's a typo on the page for this scoot'.  I'm pretty sure "Site stand" should be "side stand".  You're welcome.  I also felt uneasy every time you mentioned "all wheel drive"  surely "two wheel drive" would convey the same information without over reaching.  Just my 2c worth.

And Hunka is right that is possibly the most unimaginative name in all history.  I like Hunka's names much better.  Not your decision I know.  Maybe someone can have a word with King Song only to be totally ignored, as all western advice is.

Thanks @Smoother! And thanks for spotting the typo, it has been resolved now.

It is an "all wheel" drive through (just like your EUC, so I am not sure if we will change that though. As for names, everything I can think of either starts with "Mother" or includes "beast" - which is more Gotway than King Song, so we will have to wait and see what happens there...

22 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Hi @Siggy… This is a very interesting scooter - potentially comparable to some of the Dualtron models.

It has a rather niche market - though today we took one out for a spin on a 15+ km loose gravel road and it didn't even flinch! It is an awesome ride!!!

As for parts, I can't really comment - so far we haven't needed any, but then that is a good thing. Compared to an EUC there are a lot more moving parts, though none of them have caused any issues for us so far.

I should point out that the head lamp bracket leaves a little to be desired and I am looking at some options there. Other than that, the only thing I want to change is to chuck on some street tyres to see how it handles on sealed roads.

@The Fat Unicyclist wonderful reply! Definitely has me intrigued:)

Which Dualtron would you say this is comparable too - from stats alone I would guess somewhere between DTII and Ultra?

Shame about the head lamp! I'm happy you're speaking about street worthiness - would you say this can instantly be ridden on road or does it need Street tyres as suggested to bring this beast out 

1 hour ago, Siggy said:

Which Dualtron would you say this is comparable too - from stats alone I would guess somewhere between DTII and Ultra?

Shame about the head lamp! I'm happy you're speaking about street worthiness - would you say this can instantly be ridden on road or does it need Street tyres as suggested to bring this beast out 

Yes, I think it is something equivalent to a mash-up of the DT2, DT3 and Ultra...

The larger 11" tyres (actually, 90/65 × 6.5) make for a much nicerride. Though there is a bit less battery capacity than some of the Dualtron models (not that I have been able to ride it flat). The suspension is great (even with a 250+ pound load onboard). And there is a seat option too - I just need to work out how to attach it properly...

The lamp itself is quite good, it's just the bracket that isn't the best - but it should be a small job to fabricate something suitable (when I get around to it). The tyres that come on the N1D work fantastically off-road, and are okay on a sealed surface too - just a bit noisier than I would like.

With a couple of small tweaks, this scooter has the potential to replace a car for us (doing a 30 km round trip commute).

Though it may cause more traffic issues as a lot of "rubber-necking" drivers slow down while they pass on the open road. Unless of course it is peak hour, in which case it is the scooter doing the passing!   :D

On 12/29/2018 at 3:05 AM, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Yes, I think it is something equivalent to a mash-up of the DT2, DT3 and Ultra...

The larger 11" tyres (actually, 90/65 × 6.5) make for a much nicerride. Though there is a bit less battery capacity than some of the Dualtron models (not that I have been able to ride it flat). The suspension is great (even with a 250+ pound load onboard). And there is a seat option too - I just need to work out how to attach it properly...

The lamp itself is quite good, it's just the bracket that isn't the best - but it should be a small job to fabricate something suitable (when I get around to it). The tyres that come on the N1D work fantastically off-road, and are okay on a sealed surface too - just a bit noisier than I would like.

With a couple of small tweaks, this scooter has the potential to replace a car for us (doing a 30 km round trip commute).

Though it may cause more traffic issues as a lot of "rubber-necking" drivers slow down while they pass on the open road. Unless of course it is peak hour, in which case it is the scooter doing the passing!   :D

Love these points!

Very concise and complete :)

Thank you

Archived