I recently took my KS16 onto a sandy beach.  When we picked a site to camp out for the day, I laid the wheel down in the sand.  Later that weekend I noticed that the handle no longer stayed locked down on one of the arms.  It also wont lock fully up, also on the same side.  I persevered with this condition for a few days knowing that a partial disassembly was in the works.

Finally, I got around to it and took both outer shells off, the control board cover, and both legs.  It was a PITA as usual, but I needn't have bothered; the problem all along was in the handle it's self.  Only four alen screws needed to be removed from where the handle joins the legs, to fix the problem.

The problem was that sand had entered the handle and fallen down one side.  Once there it got wedged in the mechanism.

The mechanism is quite simple; the button (not the problem) on top, is actually a bump on top of a banana shaped lever (not the problem) the same shape as the handle it's self.  Directly under the "button" is a spring (not the problem) which returns the button/lever to the "at rest" position.

The lever has two small holes in it (one at either end). Into these holes goes two thin (maybe 3mm) rods (not the problem), that extend down into the legs about 25cm.  These rods disengage the locking mechanism when depressed, and re-engage it when released.

In order to extend into the legs, the rods pass through two small holes(THE PROBLEM) in the exterior shell of the handle.  Sand had made its way into one of these holes and locked the rod up solid on that side.  It had locked it in the depressed position, so the locking mechanism on that side was permanently unlocked.  The pressure of the return spring inside the leg was not sufficient to overcome the friction of the sand between the hole and the rod passing through it.

A simple tug on the rod dislodged the sand and the mechanism freed up nicely.  So that was it; four external alen screws , dislodge a bit of sand, reassemble.

I did do one other thing; when the rods cam out of the legs, one had a little black plastic "boot" on it, and the other did not, it had come off.  I tipped it out of the leg, and super-glued both boots to the ends of the rods.  One other thing; the boots only fit one way. If one wont go back into the leg, just rotate it 180 deg..

I have photos, but the sentence two paragraphs up, says it all, and I can't be assed to upload them :unsure:.

Hopefully, if your handle sticks, you will remember this post and save yourself a few hours of useless shell disassembly/reassembly.

Sand is my mortal enemy.  :ph34r:  It ruined the settings dial on my beloved Canon S40 after going dune buggying at Jessie Honeyman State Park.  I also ended up picking it out of my ears for days after.  Not to mention when you sit down near the waves and get hit.  Then there's sand all over the place down there where it shouldn't be.  Curse you, sand, curse you!!!!

We have two types of beaches here in the south of England; sand, or stones.  When walking on the stone beaches one wishes for sand, and vice versa. Yep, there's nothing like a surf/sand wedgie to make the walk back to the car something worthy of a Monty Python sketch.

I too once had a camera jammed up with sand.  I took it apart, cleaned it out and put it back together AND MIRACULOUSLY, IT STILL WORKED!!!

8 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Sand is my mortal enemy.  :ph34r:  It ruined the settings dial on my beloved Canon S40 after going dune buggying at Jessie Honeyman State Park.  I also ended up picking it out of my ears for days after.  Not to mention when you sit down near the waves and get hit.  Then there's sand all over the place down there where it shouldn't be.  Curse you, sand, curse you!!!!

There's sand in Canada :confused1:

8 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Sand is evil. I live in coastal Florida. Not cool!

Coastal Florida sand is a beautiful as sugar but it gets everywhere.  I moved to Utah about 3 years ago and am still finding that Panama City Beach sand in places.

6 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

There's sand in Canada :confused1:

Of course there is!  :w00t2:  Haven't you seen West Edmonton Mall?  @Xoltri am I right, am I right?  We import the stuff!  Actually there is no sand at WEM.  :innocent1:  We do have Long Beach on Vancouver Island!  That counts!  6FSZXCFHQ5E4PFNHSZ3QZAUW3I

15 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Of course there is!  :w00t2:  Haven't you seen West Edmonton Mall?  @Xoltri am I right, am I right?  We import the stuff!  Actually there is no sand at WEM.  :innocent1:  We do have Long Beach on Vancouver Island!  That counts!  6FSZXCFHQ5E4PFNHSZ3QZAUW3I

Haha, we have sand, the handle on my KS16B can attest to that.

• 4 months later...
On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 3:12 AM, Smoother said:

….A simple tug on the rod dislodged the sand and the mechanism freed up nicely.  So that was it; four external alen screws , dislodge a bit of sand, reassemble. 

I will try this as I am having the exact same problem.. Handle won't lock on one side, both when down, and up.  Thanks OP

Archived