Dualtron II EX

Esper

1 hour ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Wonder if there is a loose connector between the control board and the motors. Maybe the control board is sensing a disconnect somewhere and shutting down as a safety measure?  Very weird.

It just came back from being fixed, eWheels had it for couple of weeks, Im sure/ would hope they would look over connections when they had it opened.

Sometimes a intermittent ground short can be difficult to narrow down or some component needs to be taken fully apart to discover the issue like Esper's accelerator control.  Also these being pretty new to North America, maybe Jason's tech doesn't have the experience to narrow down the problem unless he rides it for as long as you do.  Difficult to say, but some issues can be very hard to troubleshoot.  Too bad Dualtron doesn't have a rep on the forums to help out. 

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Sometimes a intermittent ground short can be difficult to narrow down or some component needs to be taken fully apart to discover the issue like Esper's accelerator control.  Also these being pretty new to North America, maybe Jason's tech doesn't have the experience to narrow down the problem unless he rides it for as long as you do.  Difficult to say, but some issues can be very hard to troubleshoot.  Too bad Dualtron doesn't have a rep on the forums to help out. 

That all can be, but to be honest Im ready to trow a towel on it, me coming from Canada and waiting for weeks to enjoy for 1 or 1.5 hrs and to drive back to US just to ship it back again..... Not sure if its worth it. I owned many wheel, for the most no issues. I think I just wanna stick to wheels. You brought a good point lack of knowledge/ understanding may just be the the issue/ cause a headache for some. ;)

• Like 1

That is very unfortunate. I've also had many problems as well. 7 flat tires in under one month is not a good sign for build quality. I ultimately swapped the tire to a solid version, but I shouldn't of had to.
If there is a problem with your scooter, were I you, I'd take the entire thing apart and try to figure out the reason. A pinched wire, a connector was loose, the vibrations of riding it moved an internal part that was loose. There are any number of problems you can have, and by taking a look for yourself, you may not only find the cause, but also gain knowledge on how to fix it if any problems arise again. I've taken apart the rear end about 15 times so far, and I am getting tired of having to do so. But having done it so many times, I know how long it takes, how to do it, and can do it quicker each time.

If working, I think this scooter is well worth the money. Maybe you can ask for a trade in and swap this one out for a different one.
I'm sorry you are having these problems, I am glad I didn't have any problems like yours with mine.

• Like 1

@Esper and @yourtoys7, really sorry you guys are having so many problems with the scooter. I haven’t had an issue at all.. It would be great if you could make a video documenting some of these repairs so we could all learn from it and also add information to help you out. I hope you get it all sorted out, as this scooter is an amazing machine. I’m surprised how every time I ride it how impressed I am with the performance. Good luck, don’t give up.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Mrd777 said:

@Esper and @yourtoys7, really sorry you guys are having so many problems with the scooter. I haven’t had an issue at all.. It would be great if you could make a video documenting some of these repairs so we could all learn from it and also add information to help you out. I hope you get it all sorted out, as this scooter is an amazing machine. I’m surprised how every time I ride it how impressed I am with the performance. Good luck, don’t give up.

@Mrd777 I really, really wanna have one that just works, I think the potential is enormous with it, but at this time, Im just exhausted  spending funds just to enjoy little fun time, im either gonna upgrade to New one, Ultra or just go back to Msuper (that  I never had a problem with)... will see what @Jason McNeil can offer....

• Like 3

After a few emails with eWheels, I was told that the charger I was sent was defective. So I sent it back, they said that they will replace it with a new one.
The problem I was having with it was that the charger would only charge to 80% when 100% was selected. It was registering 62v as the max charge instead of 67.2v effectively making every charge go to 80% and none to 100% 

On 7/5/2018 at 5:14 PM, Morrison said:

Hi all...I have also just received the Dualtron II EX. It does appear we received the longer deck of the Limited, but the internals of an EX as was stated they would send to the North American market. My deck is labeled “Limited”.  Internals are 60 volts (from dash readout) and I am assuming the battery is 1202 Watt Hours. Awesome...couldn’t be happier. Thank you eWheels and Dualtron.

Very pleased with the scooter but am a little confused by my dashboard menus. It does not conform with the manual and appears to be the newer version similar to the one in the Speedway 4 instruction manual.

It has two additional settings on the dashboard menus after P0 to P9...they are PA and Pb.  This is confusing because the manual I received (Dualtron II) is for a different dashboard.

It appears PA is for braking. (0 to 5) Zero is OFF and 5 is for STRONG regenerative braking.

And Pb is for the brightness of the LCD screen. 0 off....5 max.

I do have a quick question though....did everyone receive this new dashboard? 

Also, what setting do you guys have out of the box for P0? (Stock setting) The manual says it can’t be changed, however mine can be adjusted! I noticed on some scooters manuals, depending on the model (battery) this number varies. Mine is on 9...is that what everyone else has? Just checking.

There are a few other things that do not match up...P8 is wrong in the manual for start speed of 0 and 1.  My dash says 1 to 100%...which is the power setting obviously. I kept it set at 100.

Also my P9 is not electric brake power..0,1,2.  My P9 is Battery Eco Mode....1 max ...2mid....3off.  Which one of those (1,2,or3) is more of a drain on the battery I do not know. If you know please help me to understand the language here.

If some of you have the updated dash like I do, I hope this information can shed some light. I’m learning as I’m going. So please chime in if I’m steering folks wrong!

ohh...one more thing. I’m seeing various instructions on CHARGING. I do not want to do this wrong and the instruction manual is a little confusing due to translation. I found it to be more clear in the Dualtron Mini4 manual...

1. Plug charging socket to terminal (screw it down)

2. Plug cord to power strip (which is off)

3. Turn power strip ON. 

4. Charge to 90% instead of full will increase battery life...or so I’m told. Green light on charger will come on at full charge. Red light is charging. My dash gives the charge value in % as well as bars. You can also see volts on menu P1.

Thanks all for anything you have to add and stay safe on this beautifully made and powerful machine. It’s truly magnificent!!

E181838B-7B77-4A5A-90CB-834226875C4E.jpeg

Hi! :) I had the same issue, I think this manual will solve problem. Scoot safe!

_Display_Manual.docx

So I had another incident this morning. I'm almost in the same boat as @yourtoys7 when it comes to this Dualtron. Hopefully @Jak3 still has his box so I can use it if needed.

For information if no one has followed so far. (bolded text is new info)

I received the Dualtron II EX from @Jason McNeil over at eWheels.com. The machine is a nice piece of work and I love it. But it clearly has had many more problems than anything I have ever owned in my entire life. 

The second week I had the scooter I had a flat tire on thursday, attempted to fix it saturday, took it out for a spin, patch failed, repatched it saturday. (2 patches, 1st inner tube)
The third week I had the scooter, took it to work monday, flat on the way there, turned around went home, took a bus to work. Patched it again that night. (3 patches, 1st inner tube)

On tuesday of the third week, I had a flat on the way there, but was close enough to walk the rest. Got a ride home with scooter. Patched again tuesday (4 patches, 1st inner tube)
Tuesday's patch worked well for 2 days and failed on the way home on Thursday. New tubes arrived so I was finally able to replace it. (4 patches, 2nd inner tube)
The Fourth week. The tire held wonderfully until monday on the way home. The inner tube popped. The cause was the anti-puncture strip I had placed in there after the first flat tire. It had caused friction and was also most likely the cause for the repeated flats in the beginning. Replaced the inner tube. and removed the anti-puncture strip(4 patches, 3rd inner tube)
The Fifth week. I had success for a while. Went over a week without a flat. Until Thursday. I had ran over a tiny something sharp and it caused a flat. Upon closer inspection, the tire looks cracked and beat up, filled with holes, cuts, nicks, and somehow this caused a flat. Inspection of the inner tube led me to a tiny tiny hole. I should have used slime. But it had only been a little over a week since the last flat. I thought I had solved my problem. So I patched the tube, but decided to test out the solid tire I bought. (5 patches, 3rd inner tube, 2nd tire)
The Sixth week. Today, Wednesday. As I was on my way to work, my solid tire had a blowout. [see pic below] and I was close enough to walk to work. (Will replace with inner tube tire/slime)

I've had this machine for a little over a month. I've put 568 miles on it. I ride 10 miles to work in the morning, and 10 miles home in the afternoon.
My commute contain some instances of bike lanes, 2 trails, a bridge, crossing a train track, a steep hill, many roads filled with potholes and cracks, and a brick street for one block.
I've had 7 instances of flats (not exaggerating) while I've had it.
I've spent about $50 on tools to change the tire and inner tubes, and about $50 on inner tubes and the solid tire.
I've spent about 40 hours total of maintenance on it.

If anyone is curious about buying a scooter that would not use it for commuting and that lives in an area with roads actually taken care of, please let me know, I'll consider selling it including the spare inner tubes I still have. I'll also consider a trade, EUC of equivalent value

The only modification I've made is to glue in the magnet for the accelerator sensor.

Work needed, new rear fender (I'm going to be buying it later this week if no takers for this offer) I think the rear fender is causing the issues of heat buildup and the new fender is needed to reduce any future problems associated with the rear tire.

I would love to keep riding this scooter as it is fun to ride and shortens my commute time by half. 

Picture below is of the exploded solid tire, about 30 seconds after it happened. 
cMqSqnz.jpg
pdcP7UE.jpg

Edited by Esper
spelling
  • Like 2

With a quick google search, I believe the tire is rubber on the outside and plastic in the middle. I looked up the melting point of plastic vs rubber. Plastic is 212 F and over 1000 F for rubber.
There is no way that I got the back tire over 1000 F so I'm guessing some type of plastic. When I get home, I'll take a knife and see if I can cut it open to expose the core of the tire.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kasenutty said:

Damn, Esper, this thing sounds like it's been a pain. With the wonderful specs, I've been excitedly reading a long, hoping for some serious success for you. Any plans on picking up a different brand/model of scooter? 

I'd love to. I may buy myself a tiny euc in the meantime and save up money for the dualtron ultra maybe. or if not that king song one looks nice too. I'm unsure at this point in time what I really want to do. I might even just buy a damn vespa...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kasenutty said:

I liked the look of the king song from TFU's unboxing video, I wonder if they're fairly trouble free like their EUCs  (not including the 18l and it's growing pains). 

The only reason I wouldn't get it outright is that the folding mechanic is behind the front wheel. That makes any hard lands from jumps or even heavyweight riding strain that point of the scooter. That is why I loved the Dualtron. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Esper said:

The only reason I wouldn't get it outright is that the folding mechanic is behind the front wheel. That makes any hard lands from jumps or even heavyweight riding strain that point of the scooter. That is why I loved the Dualtron. 

@Esper you seem to be having lots of issues w tires, what terrain you riding on?

Sad to hear about all the problems you are having with your scooter. Did you make sure to run the tires at 45psi because this is the only thing I can think of that may be different between our scooters. Weight may also be a factor. I am 5ft 7 and 160 lbs .

9 hours ago, yourtoys7 said:

@Esper you seem to be having lots of issues w tires, what terrain you riding on?

I think I mentioned it in an earlier post. But about 2 miles of bike lanes, 2 trails for about 4 miles, a bridge, a steep hill, a few blocks of some really badly damaged roads filled with cracks and potholes. Basically, a city.

3 hours ago, Jak3 said:

Sad to hear about all the problems you are having with your scooter. Did you make sure to run the tires at 45psi because this is the only thing I can think of that may be different between our scooters. Weight may also be a factor. I am 5ft 7 and 160 lbs .

The first time I had a flat it was under pressure. After that first flat it has been at 45 psi for all other instances except for when I was using the solid tire.

• Like 1

@Gustesta, so you went from L8F to Dualtron? Wow! How does it feel? The difference in power and speed must be massive. Waiting for your feedback! ?

Edited by Edddeus

54 minutes ago, Edddeus said:

@Gustesta, so tou went from L8F to Dualtron? Wow! How does it feel? The difference in power and speed must be massive. Waiting for you feedback! ?

It's a totally different animal!  The Dualtron it's MUCH BIGGER AND HEAVIER, but it's much stronger!  I can get to 40 mph on the Dualtron and I'm 6.2, 205 pounds!  I don't know if the Dualtron would be good if you needed a light scooter to go to work.  The Dualtron is like a motorcycle hahahah

Let me know if you have any other questions!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, scooter_commuter said:

@Esper How fast were you going when all your tires popped?  I usually ride mine on a paved road, but always waht would happen if I'm going 35-40 mph and the tires gave out.

Thanks

For every instance of a flat, they happened at significant speed. It is hard to notice but the back end felt 'slippery' as if it had been coated in oil. Going in a straight line I would never notice, but in a turn you feel it. I never had an issue with my front tire. As of this moment, I still have not taken any tool to the front tire except putting slime in the tube and inflating it again.

The instance where my inner tube popped, I was going about 30-35 in the street. The wheel went flat, I looked behind me and saw green goo everywhere. I slowed down then went onto the sidewalk.

The instance where my solid rubber 'exploded' I had been going about 5 mph because the tire was significantly deformed. One side was bulging out and was clearly larger than normal. After it reached a critical stress point, it popped with a really loud bang. Similar to a balloon popping sound. Went to the sidewalk, laid the scooter down then snapped those pictures I posted.

ALSO

I had another puncture yesterday on my way home. (my luck right?) But this time I was saved by Slime!! It appeared to be a small piece of metal about as thick and small as a staple but flattened out. It was lodged into the tire, and I inspected the tire halfway home. (I know what a tire feels like when it is not 100% inflated now without even looking) After my inspection I confirmed that the wheel was a little softer than normal so I took it easy the rest of the way home. I took the wheel apart, pulled the inner tube out and was confronted with a tire that had be flooded with slime (I think i've gone through 3 bottles of slime at this point) I rinsed out the tire and noticed the metal piece that I described just a moment ago. I removed it with pliers, patched the tube, and put it all back together.

This marks the 8th flat I've had since receiving this scooter.
Someone please buy this from me.. I want something else now...

• Like 1