Dualtron II EX

Esper

I hope our shutoff issue is heat related, this would make it easier to avoid. I will keep these reboot steps in the back of my mind from now on. I really want to finish that 25 mile planned trip! It feels like Lindbergh flying the Atlantic ocean.  

The flashing LCD seems to be a heavy load/low battery voltage warning stating that the scooter is close to shutting itself down to protect the battery. The lowest I got my battery was below a 20% level on a cold night. Every time I used throttle for single motor on a flat surface the LCD flashed. It has also happened on hills at higher battery life percentages. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

On 2/15/2019 I ran over a pretty deep pothole at about 35 mph. When the rear wheel hit it blew the tube inside and I joined the D2 flat tire club. I called an uber to get the rest of the way home and cursed myself for not buying tubes and tires so I would have them on hand.

There are some excellent youtube videos out there detailing the change process. The only thing I have to add are the specific tools I used:

·         18mm wrench

·         4 mm allen key

·         4.5 mm allen key

·         5 mm allen key

·         Backpacking head lamp to aid visibility

·         Valve extenders for the tubes

·         Air compressor

It was about 3 weeks before I assembled all the tools needed, parts came in, and I completed the repair. Tubes were from eWheels (fast shipping) and the tires came from Passion Gadgets (not so fast, from Singapore). I took the opportunity to place a brand new tire on the rear wheel even though the old one seemed fine, just worn. If you ride enough that a flat is an unlikely possibility I would recommend an advance order to minimize downtime.

I also took the opportunity to install the carbon revo rear hub cover. It should come in handy in the coming spring and summer months.

kRyB6CXALFj-pkeSR24tAc477U1MnEOx-WYxPMApWHeWIs8nbArlfMC2INdsHuGvbGuA4b00-8d7TuWk3NV8JimDfnqxq5k55BsebG4VrqiFhqheO2kKRs_suZjTwJHYZt87FqTn

42 minutes ago, MDDEVICE said:

On 2/15/2019 I ran over a pretty deep pothole at about 35 mph. When the rear wheel hit it blew the tube inside and I joined the D2 flat tire club. I called an uber to get the rest of the way home and cursed myself for not buying tubes and tires so I would have them on hand.

There are some excellent youtube videos out there detailing the change process. The only thing I have to add are the specific tools I used:

·         18mm wrench

·         4 mm allen key

·         4.5 mm allen key

·         5 mm allen key

·         Backpacking head lamp to aid visibility

·         Valve extenders for the tubes

·         Air compressor

It was about 3 weeks before I assembled all the tools needed, parts came in, and I completed the repair. Tubes were from eWheels (fast shipping) and the tires came from Passion Gadgets (not so fast, from Singapore). I took the opportunity to place a brand new tire on the rear wheel even though the old one seemed fine, just worn. If you ride enough that a flat is an unlikely possibility I would recommend an advance order to minimize downtime.

I also took the opportunity to install the carbon revo rear hub cover. It should come in handy in the coming spring and summer months.

kRyB6CXALFj-pkeSR24tAc477U1MnEOx-WYxPMApWHeWIs8nbArlfMC2INdsHuGvbGuA4b00-8d7TuWk3NV8JimDfnqxq5k55BsebG4VrqiFhqheO2kKRs_suZjTwJHYZt87FqTn

Why did you install the revo mud guard for the d2? For looks? My/all d2’s have excellent mud guards that wrap all the way around the tire so no mud or water shoots up on you.

the Dualtron Thunder on the other hand! Terrible mud guard. Doesn’t wrap around the tire at all. Not even close. The slightest puddle drenches your back. I installed the Carbon Revo on top of the existing mudguard, didn’t even bother to take it off as that scooter needs all the mudguards it can get. 

I put in on to mitigate any heat issues, it provides more air flow over the rear hub which does all the work when in single motor mode. I don't know if the increased air flow is enough to actually make a difference. I guess I will find out this summer. In terms of looks, it always makes me think of Dragon Ball Z Saiyan armor.

I just road tested the new tube and tire and it was good as new. It had rained and was wet here; the revo did a good job of keeping my back spot free. 

I will say that adjusting the disk brakes was the most frustrating and time consuming part of all of this. Hours of trial and error, I even took the Allen key outside to adjust them after they either didn't provide enough stopping force or made grinding noises. I couldn't find any information or videos on adjusting the pads, only the outside braking wire. 

Edited by MDDEVICE
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

I thought I would add to this thread as it saved a lot of heart ache for me in my early days of owning a Dualtron.

I picked up my Dualtron 2 Limited about 4 months ago and love it. Ran perfectly until I hit a rock on the sidewalk which burst my rear inner tube. The first time I tried removing the wheel, holy smokes I was at it for nearly 4 hours and a trip or two to bunnings. I can now get it off and back on with new tyre and tube within 10 mins.

My issues in aussie are that you cannot source a 10x2.5 tyre domestically, nor can I find 10x2 inner tubes with a 90 degree valve. China takes about 5-6 weeks to deliver. So! workarounds :P

- You can use a 10x2 inch tyre and it will hold up, but only for a few days. I think that they overheat way too much for the speeds you're doing.

- I have also replaced the rear mudguard and had one of the lads slap one together for me. Brisbane Australia is bluddy hot, and you have no way of getting rid of all that heat with the rear mudguard

- if you're waiting for inner tubes to arrive it IS possible to use an inner tube with a 45 degree valve. Lots of trial and error involved and you definitely need to reinstall everything back together in a very specific order but it can be done. Asthetically your motor hub wont win any beauty contests after your done but I'm more utility vs looks so its not an issue for me. 

Electric scooters in general are starting to take off in Brisbane, especially with Lime running their program here. But high end scooters like dualtrons are almost non existant so I look to Singapore for any assistance

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Two days ago I rode the scooter from my apartment to the VW mechanic to get my car after work. My plan was to load the scooter in the hatchback and drive the car home. 30 minute trip over was fantastic. Freshly inflated tires to 45-49 PSI made a big difference in performance. Weather was great for the DC area. Upon arrival home I took the scooter out of the car and powered on in the parking garage. Turned on as normal but no throttle response. Battery 72%. Turned the side switch off and then on. Same results. Cursing under my breath I walked it up to my apartment, had dinner and did my best to put the problem out of my head. Then, around 10pm with the scooter on a pedestal I turned it on and pulled the throttle. Wheels spun as normal. I wont ride it to commute or anywhere else until I have a better idea of what caused the problem, I suspect another lose connection like it had when I first got it (yellow wire unseated)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Looking for any NYC dualtron riders...

i recently bought a D-2 ex 2 months ago and it's been AMAZING ever since. I just recently got my first flat most likely from a rock but it would be nice to meet fellow riders who can help with upgrading the scooters, mechanic problems or fixing the tire.  I pray that when I attempt to fix the scooter...it doesn't take 2 hours.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if I can deal with this anymore.

i finally bought my beloved dualtron, 2 months in ..no problems, no accidents. THEN my rear tire pops. I LITERALLY had 4 - 5 tubes in one week. My etwow booster plus was WAY more reliable than this dualtron crap. I paid +2k for a machine to save me time and money , but for it to ONLY cost me time and money. my patience is running very thin and I'm about ready to sell it . I mean it's pretty ridiculous from the start that I HAD to get a 18mm wrench grinded down just to get the right angle to take off the tire. That was frustration 1. Now frustration 2-3-& 4 are all tube issues . I just don't know anymore...it went from a 5 star machine to 2.5 stars real quick.  I can't even truly figure out what the issue is...I put everything back the way it is, I tighten all the bolts, I put the tube in the tire and fill it slightly for good fitting ...& I STILL have bursts . 5 IN ONE WEEK. IM TIRED!!!!!

if anyone has any info, or can help out please let me know. . I don't want to give up on it but I swear I'll throw it from a 5 story building before I sell it . 

• Like 2

It's been quite a while since I last took a trip into this forum and man, I can't say I'm happy about the quality of this product in the time I've been gone. Had we all known how many problems we'd be facing, and how frequently, none of us would be here. 

8 hours ago, Booster2tron said:

I don't know if I can deal with this anymore.

i finally bought my beloved dualtron, 2 months in ..no problems, no accidents. THEN my rear tire pops. I LITERALLY had 4 - 5 tubes in one week. My etwow booster plus was WAY more reliable than this dualtron crap. I paid +2k for a machine to save me time and money , but for it to ONLY cost me time and money. my patience is running very thin and I'm about ready to sell it . I mean it's pretty ridiculous from the start that I HAD to get a 18mm wrench grinded down just to get the right angle to take off the tire. That was frustration 1. Now frustration 2-3-& 4 are all tube issues . I just don't know anymore...it went from a 5 star machine to 2.5 stars real quick.  I can't even truly figure out what the issue is...I put everything back the way it is, I tighten all the bolts, I put the tube in the tire and fill it slightly for good fitting ...& I STILL have bursts . 5 IN ONE WEEK. IM TIRED!!!!!

if anyone has any info, or can help out please let me know. . I don't want to give up on it but I swear I'll throw it from a 5 story building before I sell it . 

I'm sorry you're having issues with your wheel. I did quite a number of different modifications on the rear tire in an attempt for me to get it working for over a week and none of them worked. The only thing that I can think of when you get 5 flats in a week is that there is something inside the tire that is puncturing the tube. Look for a staple or something sharp that could be poking through.

If you have the option to buy a better quality tire, one that probably 5 ply or something, get it. A thicker, stronger tire, that is well made, will be your best friend. Sadly, the number of manufacturers that supply this size of tire are very limited and the tires are rated at a lower speed than what the scooter actually goes. I've never found a tire that fits the use of what we put it through in the time I had mine. Maybe things will work in your favor.

Good luck!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have to say that Jason at eWheels has been fantastic. He was receptive to my complaints and sent me a new controller. Due to a wire repair done after delivery (and coordinating with Jason, mentioned earlier) I ended up replacing my controller as well as rebuilding one of the FST connectors inside. Parts delivery from Amazon and a youtube video about crimping wires and assembling FST connections later, scooter is good as new. I have put close to 100 miles on it since then, have 740 on the dashboard. 

I have to say that I was not prepared for such a labor intensive and finicky piece hardware. That said, I have no regrets about shelling out for it. Well, maybe after ewheels cut the price to below pre-tariff levels..

• Upvote 1

Hello everybody. 

I have a Dualtron II limited for over a year now, and i just exploded my 10th inner tube after 2800km (1700 miles). So I guess I'm quite lucky.

I'm very interested in Esper's adventure with the solid rubber tire. Would you recommend it one year later ? I have modified the brakes for hybrid Cable/hydraulic ones, that are a little bigger than the vanilla one.

Do you recommend a specific tire ? It seems yours was quite difficult to fit, but I must confess I didn't read all the forum so I don't know how all this ended.

Does someone know how to find a technical booklet for the dualtron ? I can't find reliable data on the size of the wheels.

Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, Géraud said:

Hello everybody. 

I have a Dualtron II limited for over a year now, and i just exploded my 10th inner tube after 2800km (1700 miles). So I guess I'm quite lucky.

I'm very interested in Esper's adventure with the solid rubber tire. Would you recommend it one year later ? I have modified the brakes for hybrid Cable/hydraulic ones, that are a little bigger than the vanilla one.

Do you recommend a specific tire ? It seems yours was quite difficult to fit, but I must confess I didn't read all the forum so I don't know how all this ended.

Does someone know how to find a technical booklet for the dualtron ? I can't find reliable data on the size of the wheels.

Thanks in advance.

How much psi do you put in the tire and how heavy are you ?

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/4/2019 at 1:03 PM, Géraud said:

Hello everybody. 

Thanks in advance.

Plastic wheels don't work(rubber tires) they will burn up at the rate and speed the dualtrons go to. Lucky you, I use mine as a commuter, I've had about 8 tire pops in the last 2 months. I haven't even had it for a full 3 months and it's been giving me all sorts of issues.

My dualtron 2 Ex experience has been real lackluster , I waited all year to finally buy one and between tire pops, battery going bad, battery shortages ...I don't know if it's worth it . 80lbs and 3000$ is bit much for the D3 .

i was offered the turbowheel lighting in return of my dualtron . Sounds like a sweet deal but it's 77lbs and when the dualtron worked it was AMAZING!!!. So just a bit lost in what to do...already spent 2.2k (not to mention the cabs, NYC trains, tubes purchased) because lack of reliability.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/15/2020 at 1:32 PM, Gelo Godfrey said:

H!

Hi Sir! I would like to ask something about Dualtron EX+. Is it made in Korea or China? Does it have E-brakes? I noticed that the rear lights don't blinker if the brakes are applied. Hope to hear from you. Thanks.

Greetings from Singapore! Im a owner of a Dualtron Raptor, Limited II ver. 1 and a China-made Ultron all running at 60v 28Ah. Dualtron are Korean. The recent ban in Singapore, no choice but have to ride it discretly, and also during my roadtrips to thailand. My filipina mate loves the Ultron, would love to ship them all to phil if I decided to migrate there.

Both the Limited II and Ultron blinkers when brakes are applied except for the Raptor. Only my Raptor has the power cut problems which I yet to solve as some buddies encountered.

• 11 months later...

Hello team, same kind of issue with the throttle on my Mantis 1, the EY3 display shows the error sign:  Accelerator Error, I verified the magnet, clean it, same issue ! My EY3 is different compare to Esper on forum.electricunicycle.org reported issues but same behavior: nothing when I push the throttle, wheel spin when I push the Singal/dual motor. Bad wiring ? Break sensor are ok no message only message about Accelerator error: [ey3 Accelerator error]