Dualtron II EX

Esper

4 hours ago, Esper said:

On the turbo, the wheel really lets loose and can accelerate much faster than any EUC can.

But are EUC still more enjoyable to ride? Or have you gone over to the dark side?   :ph34r:

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, yourtoys7 said:

@Esper why did you change the brakes  side? 

I didn't, it comes reversed. Normally on a bike, right brake is rear. On this Dualtron the right is front brake. I tried to change it this morning, but figured I should just get used to it. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

But are EUC still more enjoyable to ride? Or have you gone over to the dark side?   :ph34r:

An EUC feels nicer to ride. But this scooter has so much acceleration and speed that this would be better for long commutes. The EUC is fun for short rides where time isn't an issue. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, fbhb said:

The way the brake levers are handed depends on the country the machine is destined for. As a general rule, for countries that drive on the right hand side of the road the front brake is on the left and vice versa for countries that drive on the left. Obviously, you must have been shipped a machine destined for countries that drive on the left so you may be better to change to what you are used to for safety reasons in the long term. I also think this would be especially wise if you also swap back and forth between riding the bike shown in your previous photo.

Why would that be?

Bicycles have the rear brake on the right. Motorcycles have the front brake on the right.

7 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

Why would that be?

Bicycles have the rear brake on the right. Motorcycles have the front brake on the right.

Here is a an article I found that best describes some of the history surrounding what I wrote previously:

"If you’ve ever ridden a bike outside of your home country you may have noticed that the position of the front and rear brakes differ depending on which country you’re in. For example, here in Australia the front brake is located on the right-hand side of the handlebars, and the rear brake is on the left-hand side. In fact, all countries that I’m aware of that drive/ride on the left side of the road are set up this way. Of course you can change this quite easily which doesn’t make it illegal.

On stock bikes entering Australia, this comes from the following Australian Standards clause:

Australian Standard AS1927 – 1998 Pedal Bicycles – Safety Requirements, page 16 Section 2.14 Braking System 2.14.2.1 states the following: Handbrake lever location: The brake lever for a front brake shall be positioned on the right-hand side of the handlebar, and that for a rear brake on the left-hand side.

In North America and many parts of Europe this is the opposite. You ride on the right side of the road and your front brake is on the left-hand side, the rear brake is on the right-hand side.

Do you know why this is? A brief history of time…

Cycling hand turning signals originated from the same signals that cars used before they had indicator lights. For example, in America when a car wants to turn left, the driver (who sits on the left side of the car) put his left arm straight outside the window. If the driver wanted to signal right, he had to make a “L” with his left arm out the window (because he wouldn’t be able to reach out to the right side of the window with a straight arm to indicate a right turn). Similarly in places like Australia and the UK where you drive on the left side of the road, the driver (sitting on the right of the car) would have extend his right arm straight out the window to turn right, and same arm in a “L” shape to signal to turn left.

These turning signals were adopted by cyclists and the national standards organizations in each country got involved. There was concern that the cyclist should be able to make hand turning signals and still be able to reach the primary brake. The logic is accompanied by the premise that the rear brake is the primary brake. These standards organizations misunderstood braking and thought that using the front brake was hazardous and would cause the cyclist to abruptly topple over the front when hitting the front brake (endo!). In reality, very few accidents result from braking from the front."

Edited by fbhb
  • Upvote 3

There is one issue I've noticed. The clamp that is used where the scooter folds is in a portion that is recessed. So in order to fold you first have to unclamp the bar, then slide it up past the recessed portion which is difficult then you can fold it. If you don't open the bar far enough, when trying to put the handlebar back up your clamp will be stuck. 

The only bypass I have for this is undoing the clamp, then unscrewing it past the normal point and then forcing the metal clamp open by folding the handle bar while the clamp is down. It will bend it open enough to freely move without getting stuck. 

I'll post pictures in the morning explaining this in detail further with better terms. Right now it's quite late and I don't really have the time or energy to clarify this post. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, fbhb said:

Here is a an article I found that best describes some of the history surrounding what I wrote previously:

"If you’ve ever ridden a bike outside of your home country you may have noticed that the position of the front and rear brakes differ depending on which country you’re in. For example, here in Australia the front brake is located on the right-hand side of the handlebars, and the rear brake is on the left-hand side. In fact, all countries that I’m aware of that drive/ride on the left side of the road are set up this way. Of course you can change this quite easily which doesn’t make it illegal.

On stock bikes entering Australia, this comes from the following Australian Standards clause:

Australian Standard AS1927 – 1998 Pedal Bicycles – Safety Requirements, page 16 Section 2.14 Braking System 2.14.2.1 states the following: Handbrake lever location: The brake lever for a front brake shall be positioned on the right-hand side of the handlebar, and that for a rear brake on the left-hand side.

In North America and many parts of Europe this is the opposite. You ride on the right side of the road and your front brake is on the left-hand side, the rear brake is on the right-hand side.

Do you know why this is? A brief history of time…

Cycling hand turning signals originated from the same signals that cars used before they had indicator lights. For example, in America when a car wants to turn left, the driver (who sits on the left side of the car) put his left arm straight outside the window. If the driver wanted to signal right, he had to make a “L” with his left arm out the window (because he wouldn’t be able to reach out to the right side of the window with a straight arm to indicate a right turn). Similarly in places like Australia and the UK where you drive on the left side of the road, the driver (sitting on the right of the car) would have extend his right arm straight out the window to turn right, and same arm in a “L” shape to signal to turn left.

These turning signals were adopted by cyclists and the national standards organizations in each country got involved. There was concern that the cyclist should be able to make hand turning signals and still be able to reach the primary brake. The logic is accompanied by the premise that the rear brake is the primary brake. These standards organizations misunderstood braking and thought that using the front brake was hazardous and would cause the cyclist to abruptly topple over the front when hitting the front brake (endo!). In reality, very few accidents result from braking from the front."

Great explanation. When I brought my Brompton in America they actually provided the option to choose your preference. I chose reverse configuration (reverse of the local American configuration) so it was the same as all my UK bikes had been in my earlier years. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

Great explanation. When I brought my Brompton in America they actually provided the option to choose your preference. I chose reverse configuration (reverse of the local American configuration) so it was the same as all my UK bikes had been in my earlier years. 

I fully understand you making that choice with originating from the UK myself, I too was already used to that configuration which is also the same way brakes are configured here in New Zealand.

Excellent review and feedback Esper! If Only I was in Seattle ? 

• Upvote 1

@yourtoys7 I believe he mentioned this in one of the earlier revisions of the order page. Something to do with having the internals of the EX but the body of the Limited because of the size. Not 100% sure, but in terms of stats, if we got Limited internals, they are better than the EX.

Also, you should update your signature now.

Edited by Esper

5 minutes ago, yourtoys7 said:

@Esper thanks, sig. updated.....

battery 30% went for short run, hit 31km/h in no time, what a solid machine, unbelievable!

Wd2Dpqa.jpg

Hey! Don't forget to swap those brake lines, turn on cruise control, or set your electric brake settings. Enjoy your new ride!

10 hours ago, Esper said:

If anyone is thinking about getting one, this is a fantastic purchase.

I was looking at getting a new wheel, but your post and this Dualtron Thread has really helped me make my decision.  The pictures you uploaded with it beside the bike helped give me an indication of the size. It's pointless me getting another wheel as I already have the 100V Monster and an Inmotion V8, which I use daily. I want the Best E-scooter possible. Dualtron it is. Thank you to everyone involved in the e-scooter forum.

Edited by Edddeus
  • Upvote 2

I'm also in the ewheels Dualtron II crew. Got mine yesterday, charged it up and took it for a quick spin. Esper covered basically everything I would have said. This thing is wicked powerful, and quite beastly looking. Every head I passed turned. I'm about 170 pounds and got up to 38 mph before I freaked out. I spotted a hole waaaaaay too late while doing over 30 MPH. I probably would have flipped on my Segway ES1, and the Qiewa Qmini I had would have at least made me feel it. I breezed right past it with the Dualtron. It's an incredibly smooth ride compared to every other escooter I've ridden. 

A few points of clarification: 

(1) You don't need an adapter. The  charger you received is dual voltage, so you can just grab one of the standard power cords you've got laying around from your laptop or similar device and stick it into the actual charging unit.

(2) eWheels, in addition to somehow offering way better prices on these things than anyone else, apparently has a deal with minimotors so that we get the Ex battery and an LTD body. That's why your box and the unit itself says LTD. Jason's initial e-mail to me about the scooter actually referred to it as a Dualtron II EX LTD. I don't think they're having any trouble selling these, but my guess is it'd be a good idea to advertise that a bit more prominently. It's a cool feature that I haven't seen anyone else who either claims to have stock in North America or who ships to North America can boast of. 

Edited by TripleEsq
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

9 hours ago, TripleEsq said:

A few points of clarification: 

(1) You don't need an adapter. The  charger you received is dual voltage, so you can just grab one of the standard power cords you've got laying around from your laptop or similar device and stick it into the actual charging unit.

I just want to let you know. You can damage your charger that way unless you use the cable type specified by the power supply. It says 2.5 amp Max. Just be careful and use the proper cables or you could damage your battery. 

oyQBFwI.jpg

Esper, 

My understanding of what you're reading on the adapter is that it does not have any relation to the two slot power cord that I referred to in my post. The input relates to the acceptable voltage coming from the AC outlet (wall plug) you're using. The output relates to how the adapter will convert or step down that power to the device it is plugged into (here, the Dualtron). The two slot power cord referred to in my post is essentially just a conduit that needs to be in good condition so that it effectively and safely transmits the current from the wall to the adapter. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Esper said:

These are nice mods! I hope Jason can get some of these in stock. I'd totally get an additional battery and maybe that cool deck. 

Dualtron-Cosmic-Deck1.jpeg

Is the battery easily removable such that one could change it on a stop and keep going without a recharge?  Mine arrived today but no one home to sign for it so have to wait til Thursday now.  

4 minutes ago, Acturbo said:

Is the battery easily removable such that one could change it on a stop and keep going without a recharge?  Mine arrived today but no one home to sign for it so have to wait til Thursday now.  

I would say no on the easily removable part. But there is a power cable input port for external batteries just behind the front wheel on the side. 
You should have had the scooter delivered to your work.

• Upvote 1