Dualtron II EX

Esper

21 minutes ago, yourtoys7 said:

@Esper have you looked for different tires, maybe off road type, similar to Ultra.

if you’re not having technical/ electric issues I would not sell it. It’s an amazing machine (when it works)......

Currently, I am looking at a Piaggio MP3.
For tires, I have only tried the Solid Rubber tire
I do need a new tire, and I asked @Jason McNeil via email about it. They (minimotors) don't have off-road tires for the Dualtron 2.

Also, if anyone knows how to adjust the suspension and can share a how-to video. I'd appreciate it. I think I may be a little on the heavier side and the suspension may be bottoming out.

• Like 1

On 8/16/2018 at 12:15 PM, yourtoys7 said:

@Esper have you looked for different tires, maybe off road type, similar to Ultra.

On 8/16/2018 at 12:50 PM, Esper said:

I do need a new tire, and I asked @Jason McNeil via email about it. They (minimotors) don't have off-road tires for the Dualtron 2.

That's the drawback about the DTII, you cannot source a knobby tire alternative in that tire size AFAIK.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

That's the drawback about the DTII, you cannot source a knobby tire alternative in that tire size AFAIK.

Yeah, and I may just have to buy a new tire that is the same as the old one here in another couple months if I don't sell it before then.

I've been meaning to ask you. What are your thoughts of the Dualtron Man? 

7 hours ago, Esper said:

I've been meaning to ask you. What are your thoughts of the Dualtron Man? 

Loved it when I had, but it's not very practical, as I tend to favor more practical PEV use. Destination-based, not just joy, riding.

Also, not sure if this has improved of late, but the DTM seems to be plagued by bad battery issues (LiPo's that won't hold their charge; I've heard of multiple DTM owners facing this issue, including the person I sold my DTM to, as I didn't own it long enough to realize).

Anyone with the fast charger from ewheels?  Do the knobs do anything?

The voltage stays the same no matter what I switch it to, is that supposed to be the case?  knob for 80/90/100 doesn't seem to do anything

Edited by scotchtape

1 hour ago, scotchtape said:

Anyone with the fast charger from ewheels?  Do the knobs do anything?

The voltage stays the same no matter what I switch it to, is that supposed to be the case?  knob for 80/90/100 doesn't seem to do anything

The knob on one side changes how much it charges to, I set mine to 90% because leaving home it's downhill for a few miles.
The other knob is incoming amps. If it's on 5, it charges faster, if it's on 1 it charges slower.

I am one of those people that think a slower charge is better so I keep mine on 2 unless I really need it quickly.

1 hour ago, scotchtape said:

I know, I set it to 80 but it keeps charging beyond 80% when I turn the dualtron on :(

What voltage does your charger display? It should say 67 volts. 67 would be set as its '100%' and the dualtron battery is 67.7v. so if you charge it to 90% for example, it should say something like 88% on the Dualtron display. 

So does anyone know how to adjust the suspension? I have not had time to search for videos. But I'm hoping someone knows how that can help point me to the right video or can give me instructions.
If not, I'll most likely look for a tutorial tonight and share my findings.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/5/2018 at 11:17 AM, Esper said:

It's been about 3 weeks since my modification of my back tire. So far, no flat, no deflation, no problems. I highly recommend the process I used to achieve a stronger, puncture resistant tire.

What I did;
I placed black silicone inside the tire and spread it around with a disposable sponge brush. About 1 cm of thickness across the bottom of the tire all around the inside. Then I placed one of those Bell Puncture Resistant 'tapes' inside at a pre-measured length and push it into the silicone. On the overlap, I placed a little more silicone and pressed the two ends of the 'tape' together. I took a brand new inner tube and put it inside the tire and inflated it to press the 'tape' into the silicone more evenly. Put slime in the inner tube. I then reinstalled the entire wheel assembly and filled it with air and let it sit for the night. In some spots silicone was coming out of the tire through the numerous holes from previous punctures, so I placed a rag under the tire to catch any drips.

So far, I've ridden my scooter ~300 miles and not one flat. Where previously I had ridden ~700 miles with 9 flats.
I hope this helps everyone.

what a process, but good for you and it sure looks like it will hold.

• Upvote 1

@Esper I've been wondering how it's possible that someone could get so many punctures, unless they were riding over very poor terrain. While in my garage last night noticing the tires on my EUCs and the various strollers we have, and I started wondering about where EUC and eScooter companies source their tires from. I doubt the volumes are sufficiently high to justify custom tires. If that's correct, then they must be re-purposing existing tires made for other applications.

If the 10-inch tires used by Dualtron are originally intended for something like a stroller, then they won't be rated for high-speed use. I'm wondering if you were riding fast, causing the tires to heat up too much?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jon Stern said:

@Esper I've been wondering how it's possible that someone could get so many punctures, unless they were riding over very poor terrain. While in my garage last night noticing the tires on my EUCs and the various strollers we have, and I started wondering about where EUC and eScooter companies source their tires from. I doubt the volumes are sufficiently high to justify custom tires. If that's correct, then they must be re-purposing existing tires made for other applications.

If the 10-inch tires used by Dualtron are originally intended for something like a stroller, then they won't be rated for high-speed use. I'm wondering if you were riding fast, causing the tires to heat up too much?

There has been a lot of speculation from a lot of different people. The fact is, the roads I ride through are not the most maintained. The biggest area of threat is from the Seattle Shipping Yard. There are thousands of huge heavy vehicles that travel down a portion of road I, and many others, use to commute. This road is filled with sharp objects like screws, nails, and other debris. I see people on the side of the street at least 2 times a week changing their inner tube because of a flat.

Heat IS a problem but as we ( I ) get closer to winter, that should not be as big an issue. I will buy another rear fender next spring if I still have my scooter at that time. Heat alone does not cause a puncture though. Those can be attributed to poor road conditions.

Where I live, half the city is under constant construction. Due to the influx of jobs and thus people, traffic has become a nightmare. This causes drivers to use and wear out roads that would otherwise be clean. Car crashes cause broken glass and other parts to be strewn about and there is a very low number of street sweepers in this area. And the ones that are here, they don't go up and down every street and road.

• Like 1

Well... I done and did it.
I got a flat.

Aug 20th to Sept 11th Rip.

I got almost a full month out of that tube though!! things are looking up.

I took apart the tire and saw that it popped for some reason. I didnt see why by the pop was near the valve. poor quality maybe? idk.
I noticed that some of the anti-puncture strip was loose and thought that it may have caused an overheating issue with the tube. I was unsure so I took everything out, cleaned it well with some soap and dried the tire and the removed strip.
I applied 3 times more silicone than I used the first time and put a new tube in to press the strip into the adhesive. I'm leaving it out to dry for a day or two before I place it back inside the scooter. I hope this extra silicone will do a better job. I'm tired of having to deal with flats.

If anyone wants to buy this scooter from me. Please let me know. 

6 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

What is the profile of the tyres on your scooter?

My King Song has such large "knobbles" that sharp things don't reach the tyre.

Road tire. Not perfectly flat but more similar to a normal car tire. with about a year of use on them. There is no other alternative for the size tire it is.
NjUs41d.jpg

Edited by Esper
  • Like 2

On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 4:45 AM, kasenutty said:

It better be a damn EUC, because I don't wanna be the only guy with an EUC again at the next ride :D

If it's any consolation... It's on my list to ride (an EUC) with you one day!   :D

• 3 months later...
On 7/13/2018 at 9:12 PM, Mrd777 said:

I have this folding bar, and it’s fabulous. It’s very secure at high speeds, and the beast folds up nicely now. Highly recommended.. also made a stretch cover when in storage mode.

E2C9A8C9-6CAC-4BF8-B63A-C08BE5C0E491.jpeg

Hi, please can you post a link to the folding handle bars you have and the band wrapped around the base.

On 9/16/2018 at 3:31 AM, Esper said:

Road tire. Not perfectly flat but more similar to a normal car tire. with about a year of use on them. There is no other alternative for the size tire it is.
NjUs41d.jpg

Hi, did you find a solid tyre solution in the end? if so can you post details or a link?

2 hours ago, Pabs said:

Hi, please can you post a link to the folding handle bars you have and the band wrapped around the base.

Yes, the strap can be bought on Amazon, and the folding handle bar on Aliexpress 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073X7227N/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Makes it much easier to store and carry