KS18L Range Test - 200 lbs rider

Henrik Olsen

I did a test myself today. With full body armour.

Time: 1h47m, Distance: 45.6 km(GPS), 55 km(APP),  Average Speed: 25.4 km/h

The KingSong app shows 10km more than what the GPS app shows! I'll refer to the GPS App calculations from now.

I stopped after a tilt back and "please decelerate" at 20km/h, 2 yellow LEDs left, 10-15% left as per the King Song app. (16% left when turned off and on again).

It felt as if it had full power until about KM 32. Then it still felt OK, but it was "throttleing", like slowly shaking a bit forward and backward, while still being able to go at 40km/h sustained for 5 minutes (slightly downhills). Had 3 green LEDs left.

From KM 36 I started to go on that same hill, but uphills. At about 30km/h.

At KM 40 I got a please decelerate warning at 30km/h (slightly uphills). So I started to go at about 20km/h from now. I had three yellow LEDs now.

At KM 45, going on flat good surface at about 20km/h I got a tilt back and "please decelerate" warning, with now only 2 yellow LEDs left. I did about 0.5km more to get home.

Conditions:

- Riding style: quite aggressive, high speed.

- Rider weight: ~80 KG

- Temperature: ~8°C

- Road condition: many long and or steep hills. Surface was mostly good, with 2-3 km of bad condition road.

GPS Speed App: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=luo.gpsspeed

Screenshot_2018-12-03-14-38-14-980_luo.gpsspeed.png

Screenshot_2018-12-03-11-42-54-676_com.cnaite.kingsong.png

IMG_20181203_134241.jpg

Screenshot_2018-12-03-13-43-14-530_com.cnaite.kingsong.png

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone else notice that the kingsong app calculates distance ridden mathematically and not using GPS?  I always assumed it was GPS based.  I was thinking about how there could be such a large discrepancy in some users mileage vs Strava and decided the app can not be using GPS to calculate distance ridden. I tested it by picking up the wheel and letting it spin and the distance traveled increases even though it’s not going anywhere.  So tire pressure will affect the distance traveled as well as the math that king song uses for different wheel sizes.  I was wondering why my 16s is within 3% but the 18l riders reported the app being very different from actual.  Think I got that figured out.  Now I am wondering why a 16s with a 210lb rider can go 30 miles @14 ish mph on relatively flat ground on a full charge but it’s looking like the 18l with. 200wh larger battery sounds like it’s probably going to do about the same.

• 1 month later...

Group ride today riding the 18l.  36 miles with 210lb rider with probably 10lb of gear.  Between 750 and 1000’ of ascent.  Temperature was in the upper 60s/low 70s.  I took it easy for the last 10 miles, probably no faster than 18 mph.  The last two and a half miles were really slow.  The wheel was still rideable. The battery read 0 percent on the app, had 2 lights on the wheel but I was getting tiltback at abou 5 or 6 miles per hour.  Although this is about as far as I would want to ride, this ride convinced me to drop some coin on a quick charger.  

On 1/29/2019 at 2:15 AM, Joker10 said:

Anyone else notice that the kingsong app calculates distance ridden mathematically and not using GPS?  I always assumed it was GPS based.

It's not calculated by the app, but by wheel. You have to multiply distance from app by factor of about 0.8 to get real distance.

4 hours ago, Seba said:

It's not calculated by the app, but by wheel. You have to multiply distance from app by factor of about 0.8 to get real distance.

Yes, this is true. (my findings more like .85) :efef50e3ba: I was elated with my range until I started checking it with GPS and Goggle Maps. Joker10's actual mileage was probably around 29 - 30 miles which is good, but not magic.:mellow:

Archived