KS18L Range Test - 200 lbs rider

Henrik Olsen

37 minutes ago, andress said:

Today I did 61 km trip with 4 LEDs left at the end. I wasn't going very fast but I was mostly on forest trails with a lot of hills. I weigh 80 kg.

Why the big discrepancy? You only weigh 10kg less

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if charging with two chargers at the same time did something. It sounds stupid and i don't know why it would make a difference, but I've seen several contradicting reports on range from riders that are all about the same weight. I'd say to check tire psi, but I'm pretty sure he pumped his to 40psi in the video

11 minutes ago, joku said:

I wonder if charging with two chargers at the same time did something. It sounds stupid and i don't know why it would make a difference, but I've seen several contradicting reports on range from riders that are all about the same weight. I'd say to check tire psi, but I'm pretty sure he pumped his to 40psi in the video

It actually does make a difference, unless you leave them on for the long balancing charge. When the charging is stopped, the battery voltage comes down a bit. If you use a fast charger, it comes down a bit more. The last part of the charge is as slow (or perhaps even a bit slower) with a fast as it is with a slow charger.

I think it greatly depends on the speed. I think that if you went 10 km/h on a flat smooth surface you could get close to 100 km range (10 hours of riding) but the same rider on the same route going the max speed would deplete the battery in less than an hour with range around 40 km. This is caused by several factors:

drag - This is highly dependent on your speed as it raises with the square. It is almost negligible at 10 km/h but wastes a lot of your battery at 50 km/h.

current - Li-ion batteries are rated for certain capacity but they will give you this capacity only at rated current. The faster you discharge them the less total energy you will get from them. And of course the faster you go the higher current has to flow.

motor efficiency - Our motor has different efficiency at different RPM. I don't know what is the most efficient RPM for KS-18L but it might be a factor too.

So all in all I think we need to build a testing facility with rated track and ambient conditions and a robot to ride every unicycle at exact same speed to achieve comparable results :D

9 hours ago, andress said:

I think it greatly depends on the speed. I think that if you went 10 km/h on a flat smooth surface you could get close to 100 km range (10 hours of riding) but the same rider on the same route going the max speed would deplete the battery in less than an hour with range around 40 km. This is caused by several factors:

drag - This is highly dependent on your speed as it raises with the square. It is almost negligible at 10 km/h but wastes a lot of your battery at 50 km/h.

current - Li-ion batteries are rated for certain capacity but they will give you this capacity only at rated current. The faster you discharge them the less total energy you will get from them. And of course the faster you go the higher current has to flow.

motor efficiency - Our motor has different efficiency at different RPM. I don't know what is the most efficient RPM for KS-18L but it might be a factor too.

So all in all I think we need to build a testing facility with rated track and ambient conditions and a robot to ride every unicycle at exact same speed to achieve comparable results :D

Absolutely, when there are widely varying outcomes we must identify the factors/independent variables that influence the outcome/dependent variable (In this case the outcome/dependent variable would be total distance).

duplicate those factors to verify the outcome variable (In a controlled environment results should be the same/similar each time).

Manipulate/change the factors to determine how they impact/change the dependant variable.

Record Results

Identify and account for any experimental limitations impacting results.

Draw conclusions

Refine experiment by removing identified limitations (if possible/if not than the level of inaccuracy/range of inconsistency must be deemed an acceptable limitation for the analysis)

Repeat experiment to improve the accuracy of results.

I am sure consumers will conduct many independent tests when enough of them can get their hands on enough KS18Ls. 

10 hours ago, andress said:

Yes! It's nice that people report their range, but for anyone to expect to duplicate other's results or use other's results as a determining factor in purchasing, is an exercise in futility.

I think there is one person that could have enough data to actually compare the mileage of unicycles and that's @Ilya Shkolnik thanks to his app Darkness Bot. If I remember correctly (I can't use the app since I am on Android) he has data about users weight, routes, speeds and batteries. And there is a lot of people using his app so the sample even thou not perfect should be large enough to give us some idea. @Ilya Shkolnik Do you do some kind of analysis over the data?

On 6/24/2018 at 1:03 AM, mrelwood said:

It actually does make a difference, unless you leave them on for the long balancing charge. When the charging is stopped, the battery voltage comes down a bit. If you use a fast charger, it comes down a bit more. The last part of the charge is as slow (or perhaps even a bit slower) with a fast as it is with a slow charger.

yes, I was riding with 40PSI.. it comes only with 30PSI out of the box

5 hours ago, Ilya Shkolnik said:

@andress DarknessBot's CloudKit has info, which user provides in Profile section. Weight/speed/batteries info doesn't leave local user device.

Remaining mileage - it's a subjective metric

Are you planning an Android version of the Darkness Bott Application?

8 hours ago, hal2000 said:

Apparently the cheapest (but by no means the easiest) way to upgrade your battery is to lose some weight. 10 kg less = 10 km more.

I've tried this approach, did a lots of exercises and finally lost 10 kgs of fat... but gained 15 kgs of muscles ? So now I believe the cheapest and easiest way to upgrade your battery is to upgrade your battery ?

15 hours ago, Unventor said:

@Henrik Olsen are you still happy with your KS18L? Or have you picked up on some odd behaviours yet?

Yes, I'm still very happy with the wheel, but being perfectly honest I have been swamped at work so I have not been riding that much this week. I will do a video update once I have more mileage, but most problems I hear so far are app related.  

One of the other guys Kristian from Mr. Unbox just released his review after 10 days. He is only 2/3 the weight of me and he is getting a lot more range. 

I Finished a 77km ride today with my KS18L and.my girlfriend with her Rockwheel GT16 :clap3: This KS18L Wheel is so amazing ? I love it! (and my girlfriend ?)

Medium riding Mode, riding speeds moderate-fast (between 30-38km/h), 22-24 degrees Celsius, medium wind, hilly trails, 10% very steep wood paths, 40% combined off-road gravel/sand/wood/mud, 50% combines asphalt. I think it would be possible to ride 80 km but then it would start beeping two times and I guess with 85km the tiltbacking would kick in...

My girlfriend stoped riding her GT16 after 70km, then it started beeping when she was riding uphill the house driveway.

Overall i am very impressed with this range of the 1036wh battery of the KS18L and even the 858wh battery of the GT16. 

I can absolutely recommend this wheel with no concerns. ;)

71409A49-E397-48E5-B84B-DA759844498C.jpeg

0C1B12CA-DE6A-43A8-A5B6-112574C951DB.jpeg

3 hours ago, da_toni said:

I Finished a 77km ride today with my KS18L and.my girlfriend with her Rockwheel GT16 :clap3: This KS18L Wheel is so amazing ? I love it! (and my girlfriend ?)

Medium riding Mode, riding speeds moderate-fast (between 30-38km/h), 22-24 degrees Celsius, medium wind, hilly trails, 10% very steep wood paths, 40% combined off-road gravel/sand/wood/mud, 50% combines asphalt. I think it would be possible to ride 80 km but then it would start beeping two times and I guess with 85km the tiltbacking would kick in...

My girlfriend stoped riding her GT16 after 70km, then it started beeping when she was riding uphill the house driveway.

Overall i am very impressed with this range of the 1036wh battery of the KS18L and even the 858wh battery of the GT16. 

I can absolutely recommend this wheel with no concerns. ;)

71409A49-E397-48E5-B84B-DA759844498C.jpeg

0C1B12CA-DE6A-43A8-A5B6-112574C951DB.jpeg

Awesome! Looking forward to riding one soon.

8 hours ago, da_toni said:

About 75kg (165lbs) incl. protection gear.

I won't be getting 45-50 miles out of mine at 98kg; maybe 40-45 if I am gentle. The upside favors the little guys on EUCs.

Another data point on the ks18l.

Just under 200lbs with gear.

Did a ~32mile ride, average moving speed of 20mph in 1hr 37minutes. Almost no wind, 85F, reasonably flat route.

Settings were at medium ride. 

Started to drop from 24 to 22mph at about 28miles and 35% battery, and linearly decreases from there. 

Motor temperature plateued at 59C, so expect about 30c rise above ambient.

I would expect this to be closer towards the worst case scenario due to the sustained high speed. Only thing that would increase strain would be continuous uphill.

Screenshot_20180701-091315.png

Screenshot_20180701-084828.png

• 3 weeks later...

Today I've done a range test on my new KS-18L. Ambient temperature was about 25 °C (77 °F), 80kg of rider weight + 10 kg in backpack (about 200 lbs in total). Light wind, mostly flat terrain. Tire pressure about 300 kPa (43 psi). Fully charged battery, wheel with 1.0.7 firmware and set to medium riding mode. I was able to make a 60 km (37 mi) trip with average speed of 20 km/h (12 mph) until wheel started to show charge levels below 10%. Wheel was still able to ride gently with small speeds, but it was clear to me that my ride was finished :) Tiltbacks and "Please decelerate" messages was frequent enough to prevent me from further ride.

From my point of view this is exactly what I expected, so I'm happy with that :) I was getting 40 km (24 mi) in similar conditions (but with smaller average speed) from my KS-16C with 680 Wh battery. So I think by riding with lower speed I can get considerably better range from my KS-18L.

IMPORTANT NOTE - this was "real" 60 km, measured with GPS. It's important, because mileage reported by the wheel application is considerably inflated, even 20-25% up. This does not apply to speed, which seems to be measured correctly.

Archived