Jump to content
Henrik Olsen

KS18L Range Test - 200 lbs rider

Recommended Posts

Important point on the riding mode! I have noticed that I can ride for 5km longer on my 16S if I use the medium mode. Your trip to work would likely work out as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Henrik Olsen said:

KS18L Range Test of my brand new Kingsong KS18L taking it to work and back. Did I make the trip? This is a real-life range test, with a 200 lbs rider, windy conditions in 20C.

 

 

 

I like your positive style to share the experience with your new wheel. Good work, I really really like it.
Greetings from Finland
Carl
PS. I accept your apology for bad audio :efee47c9c8:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like the lights aren't calibrated well, so the controller shows 2 dots when battery doesn't output enough power to go further. It'll most probably be fixed with some firmware update.

Please do a lift test for 15 seconds to see if your 18L will start spinning in air after some time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent video! Thank you.

That means you're only going to get about 40km going 40kph most of the time and then you'll get throttled. Damn. Tough decision to make. That 1600wh battery is very appealing right now, but safety is still more important.

 

There was a firmware update to fix the motor shutoff sensor in the handle. Did you update?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, fryman said:

Little disappointed in the distance :efee565ab0:

I was only getting around 35km out of my MSuper V3, 840Wh so this has been a win for me 

Just now, joku said:

Excellent video! Thank you.

That means you're only going to get about 40km going 40kph most of the time and then you'll get throttled. Damn. Tough decision to make. That 1600wh battery is very appealing right now, but safety is still more important.

 

There was a firmware update to fix the motor shutoff sensor in the handle. Did you update?

no, still on 1.03

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now after the range test, if you could go back and choose the msuperx instead, would you?

Edited by joku

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My weight: 100 kg.

New 18L wheel with 100 km on it.

Riding style: far from eco.

Mode: soft.

Mainly flat city environment.

Fully charged battery, drained to the final warning which practically made further riding impossible (45 degrees tilt).

 Max range: 45km (according to the data from google maps); 58km (according to the wheel itself ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Important point on the riding mode! I have noticed that I can ride for 5km longer on my 16S if I use the medium mode. Your trip to work would likely work out as well.

Wow I never knew that riding modes affect battery like that. I like hard mode best on my wheel but might switch to medium to see how much more I can squeeze out of the battery. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, joku said:

Now after the range test, if you could go back and choose the msuperx instead, would you?

Not sure actually, it would be a hard call. I'm really happy with my choice so far, so this has not crossed my mind.

But now I would have been torn between Z10, X and KS18L .. from what I can see, some say Z10 it's underpowered and overheats easily, so that would be out for now.   

 

1 hour ago, Adumb said:

Wow I never knew that riding modes affect battery like that. I like hard mode best on my wheel but might switch to medium to see how much more I can squeeze out of the battery. 

Not sure how much it translates to real life usage. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn’t know that riding mode affected range either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Me neither, although I don't like the wheel feeling soft.  Although I should give it another chance I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The soft mode on 16S didn’t give me more range compared to the medium mode, it’s just the hard mode that consumed more. There has been changes made to the riding modes since the firmware 1.02, so the difference might be smaller with later versions. I now have the 1.07, I should test the range difference again.

7 hours ago, Henrik Olsen said:

some say Z10 it's underpowered and overheats easily

It seems the final production version does not have these issues.

8 hours ago, hal2000 said:

Max range: 45km (according to the data from google maps); 58km (according to the wheel itself ;)

This is... astonishing. I hope more people can compare wheel distance to GPS distance, 25% feels just too much to be possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mrelwood said:

 

This is... astonishing. I hope more people can compare wheel distance to GPS distance, 25% feels just too much to be possible.

Why is that astonishing?  It's the same on my KS16B - off by 25%.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

31 minutes ago, Xoltri said:

Why is that astonishing?  It's the same on my KS16B - off by 25%.

Since a distance metering built in 2018 is expected to provide quite a bit more accuracy. And my 16S is off only about 5% IIRC. Going for a ride now, I’ll check if I remembered wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mrelwood said:

 

Since a distance metering built in 2018 is expected to provide quite a bit more accuracy. And my 16S is off only about 5% IIRC. Going for a ride now, I’ll check if I remembered wrong.

My KS16C with 1.25 firmware also adds about 24% to distance. 37,3 km measured with GPS is reported as 46,2 km by the wheel. And this error is consistent across all the logs I've made during my rides.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1) Straight trip, single road:

  • Planning: Komoot 4.02km, Google Maps 3.9km.
  • Tracked: Komoot (GPS) 3.99km, Sports Tracker (GPS) 4.03km, KingSong app 3.99km (with tire compensation = +4%).

2) Free roaming. Didn't stay zigzagging in a single place, as I'd imagine that would mess with the GPS. But I did stop for a few minutes under a large bridge, and at the end entered my apartment house, at which the GPS did make a few extra zags:

  • Tracked: Sports Tracker (GPS) 8.91km, KingSong app 8.51km (with tire compensation = +0.5%).

I have a bigger tire installed, so the KS app now shows about -5% compared to the original.

So yes, 25% on the 18L sounds strange to me.

Edited by mrelwood

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember a discussion last year that KS app distance is about 25% optomistic although speed is more or less accurate.  Does anyone know if 3rd. party apps like Darknessbot, have a handle on this distance issue.  It's incomprehensible to me that it still exists on yet another generation of KS wheels.

Personally, I'm not impressed with the range of the 18L.  If you want KS reliability and Gotway range, the only option is Darth Vader's Helmet... I mean, the 18s.

Edited by Smoother

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just completed a long ride last week on my 16s.  On the way out I used wheel log it reported 15.6 miles on the way back I used strava and it reported 15.2 miles.  I don’t use the KS app since it reports in km, and I am American and only think km when I am in Europe.  This is within 3%.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Henrik Olsen said:

no, still on 1.03

It would be interesting to see you repeat the test (with as many parameters as possible the same) after the firmware upgrade...

Just to see if there is a difference.

Edited by The Fat Unicyclist

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Joker10 said:

I just completed a long ride last week on my 16s.  On the way out I used wheel log it reported 15.6 miles on the way back I used strava and it reported 15.2 miles.  I don’t use the KS app since it reports in km, and I am American and only think km when I am in Europe.  This is within 3%.

Both my 16S and 18S give me similar results on both speed and distance as compared to my Garmin GPS........roughly 3% difference as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today I did 61 km trip with 4 LEDs left at the end. I wasn't going very fast but I was mostly on forest trails with a lot of hills. I weigh 80 kg.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...