KS18L Range Test - 200 lbs rider

Henrik Olsen

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Important point on the riding mode! I have noticed that I can ride for 5km longer on my 16S if I use the medium mode. Your trip to work would likely work out as well.

1 hour ago, Henrik Olsen said:

KS18L Range Test of my brand new Kingsong KS18L taking it to work and back. Did I make the trip? This is a real-life range test, with a 200 lbs rider, windy conditions in 20C.

I like your positive style to share the experience with your new wheel. Good work, I really really like it.
Greetings from Finland
Carl
PS. I accept your apology for bad audio :efee47c9c8:

Looks like the lights aren't calibrated well, so the controller shows 2 dots when battery doesn't output enough power to go further. It'll most probably be fixed with some firmware update.

Please do a lift test for 15 seconds to see if your 18L will start spinning in air after some time.

Excellent video! Thank you.

That means you're only going to get about 40km going 40kph most of the time and then you'll get throttled. Damn. Tough decision to make. That 1600wh battery is very appealing right now, but safety is still more important.

There was a firmware update to fix the motor shutoff sensor in the handle. Did you update?

24 minutes ago, fryman said:

Little disappointed in the distance :efee565ab0:

I was only getting around 35km out of my MSuper V3, 840Wh so this has been a win for me 

Just now, joku said:

Excellent video! Thank you.

That means you're only going to get about 40km going 40kph most of the time and then you'll get throttled. Damn. Tough decision to make. That 1600wh battery is very appealing right now, but safety is still more important.

There was a firmware update to fix the motor shutoff sensor in the handle. Did you update?

no, still on 1.03

My weight: 100 kg.

New 18L wheel with 100 km on it.

Riding style: far from eco.

Mode: soft.

Mainly flat city environment.

Fully charged battery, drained to the final warning which practically made further riding impossible (45 degrees tilt).

Max range: 45km (according to the data from google maps); 58km (according to the wheel itself ;)

4 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Important point on the riding mode! I have noticed that I can ride for 5km longer on my 16S if I use the medium mode. Your trip to work would likely work out as well.

Wow I never knew that riding modes affect battery like that. I like hard mode best on my wheel but might switch to medium to see how much more I can squeeze out of the battery. 

1 hour ago, joku said:

Now after the range test, if you could go back and choose the msuperx instead, would you?

Not sure actually, it would be a hard call. I'm really happy with my choice so far, so this has not crossed my mind.

But now I would have been torn between Z10, X and KS18L .. from what I can see, some say Z10 it's underpowered and overheats easily, so that would be out for now.   

1 hour ago, Adumb said:

Wow I never knew that riding modes affect battery like that. I like hard mode best on my wheel but might switch to medium to see how much more I can squeeze out of the battery. 

Not sure how much it translates to real life usage. 

The soft mode on 16S didn’t give me more range compared to the medium mode, it’s just the hard mode that consumed more. There has been changes made to the riding modes since the firmware 1.02, so the difference might be smaller with later versions. I now have the 1.07, I should test the range difference again.

7 hours ago, Henrik Olsen said:

some say Z10 it's underpowered and overheats easily

It seems the final production version does not have these issues.

8 hours ago, hal2000 said:

Max range: 45km (according to the data from google maps); 58km (according to the wheel itself ;)

This is... astonishing. I hope more people can compare wheel distance to GPS distance, 25% feels just too much to be possible.

2 hours ago, mrelwood said:

This is... astonishing. I hope more people can compare wheel distance to GPS distance, 25% feels just too much to be possible.

Why is that astonishing?  It's the same on my KS16B - off by 25%.

31 minutes ago, Xoltri said:

Why is that astonishing?  It's the same on my KS16B - off by 25%.

Since a distance metering built in 2018 is expected to provide quite a bit more accuracy. And my 16S is off only about 5% IIRC. Going for a ride now, I’ll check if I remembered wrong.

3 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Since a distance metering built in 2018 is expected to provide quite a bit more accuracy. And my 16S is off only about 5% IIRC. Going for a ride now, I’ll check if I remembered wrong.

My KS16C with 1.25 firmware also adds about 24% to distance. 37,3 km measured with GPS is reported as 46,2 km by the wheel. And this error is consistent across all the logs I've made during my rides.

1) Straight trip, single road:

• Planning: Komoot 4.02km, Google Maps 3.9km.
  • Tracked: Komoot (GPS) 3.99km, Sports Tracker (GPS) 4.03km, KingSong app 3.99km (with tire compensation = +4%).

2) Free roaming. Didn't stay zigzagging in a single place, as I'd imagine that would mess with the GPS. But I did stop for a few minutes under a large bridge, and at the end entered my apartment house, at which the GPS did make a few extra zags:

• Tracked: Sports Tracker (GPS) 8.91km, KingSong app 8.51km (with tire compensation = +0.5%).

I have a bigger tire installed, so the KS app now shows about -5% compared to the original.

So yes, 25% on the 18L sounds strange to me.

I remember a discussion last year that KS app distance is about 25% optomistic although speed is more or less accurate.  Does anyone know if 3rd. party apps like Darknessbot, have a handle on this distance issue.  It's incomprehensible to me that it still exists on yet another generation of KS wheels.

Personally, I'm not impressed with the range of the 18L.  If you want KS reliability and Gotway range, the only option is Darth Vader's Helmet... I mean, the 18s.

I just completed a long ride last week on my 16s.  On the way out I used wheel log it reported 15.6 miles on the way back I used strava and it reported 15.2 miles.  I don’t use the KS app since it reports in km, and I am American and only think km when I am in Europe.  This is within 3%.

23 hours ago, Henrik Olsen said:

no, still on 1.03

It would be interesting to see you repeat the test (with as many parameters as possible the same) after the firmware upgrade...

Just to see if there is a difference.

4 hours ago, Joker10 said:

I just completed a long ride last week on my 16s.  On the way out I used wheel log it reported 15.6 miles on the way back I used strava and it reported 15.2 miles.  I don’t use the KS app since it reports in km, and I am American and only think km when I am in Europe.  This is within 3%.

Both my 16S and 18S give me similar results on both speed and distance as compared to my Garmin GPS........roughly 3% difference as well.

Today I made a trip on my KS18L.

Very windy weather, 18 degrees Celsius, very hilly roads, lots of off-road and uphill, weight about 75kg (165 lbs) and 1,8 meters tall (5 feet and 10.9 inches), medium riding mode, my riding style is pretty fast. ? I set the tiltback to 38km/h and the level 3 alarm to 40km/h. Using the darknessbot app for iOS because it is officially supporting 84V (if it is enabled in the settings) wheels and battery percentage looks more realistic than in the original Kingsong app (which is still not able to officially support the KS18L regarding the 84V battery)

My total mileage was 63km, I guess 65 km range could be possible with today’s bad weather conditions and then  it would start total tiltback.

So I guess if there would be no strong wind like today and about 30 degrees Celsius I could easily go 70km and more. And if I would set the speed limit lower there I could go even further maybe 80-85km...

As conclusion this KS18L with “only” 1036wh battery has for me the same 70km mileage like my old KS18A with 1360Wh battery. That is nice. :thumbup:

Archived