V5F DOA - Possibly Battery?

twogirlsonewheel

Well, it looks like I'm one of the unlucky ones that got a DOA V5F.

I've reached out to Inmotion and they took my info down and said someone would contact me.  I think the battery is shot.  I reset the wheel, plug it in to charge, and get an error light next to the battery display on the wheel.  The wheel also tells me to 'Please Repair'.  The light on the charger is green and never changes.  The battery display on the wheel shows charging for a second or two and then the display turns off.  I've had it plugged in for about 3hrs and nothing seems to change.  Sound like a dead battery?  How's Inmotion for support?  I've done a bunch of lurking on the forum and that's what led me to choose the V5F over the Ninebot One S1.  Now I'm starting to question that choice, lol.

• Upvote 1

Inmotion are generally very reliable. The V5F is a much nicer wheel than the Ninebot. Who did you buy it from? V5F's have not been available in the US since mid 2017 when they were rebranded as Solowheel Glide 2. It is possible it has been sitting on a shelf for a long time and the battery has dropped too low to be safely recharged. 

• Upvote 1

Hi WARPed1701D,

I think you're right.  Unfortunately, I didn't know they weren't selling the V5F since 2017.  I bought it from https://freemotionshop.com/ on their eBay store.

I contacted Inmotion support yesterday.  They just took my information and said they'd get back to me.  How likely is it that they'll warranty it?  Otherwise, I'll just have to open a case through eBay.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, twogirlsonewheel said:

How likely is it that they'll warranty it?  Otherwise, I'll just have to open a case through eBay.

From what you have described already, particularly the fact it was DOA, Regardless of any level of support from Inmotion I think you should be looking to return it to the supplier at their expense. I don’t know American consumer law of course but I would be surprised if their attitude would not be that your first point of redress is with your supplier.

As @WARPed1701D has said, in the USA Solowheel and Inmotion have a joint venture and all their V5 wheels are branded as Solowheel Glide. It may not necessarily be old stock, but if it isn’t it has to be a ‘grey’ import, probably direct from China. I would think that would also make Solowheel/Inmotion USA support open to question. For example I do know that in the U.K. Nikon U.K. will not touch a “grey import” Nikon camera.

What I would also, personally, find of concern is that I could find no address or even phone number on Freemotion’s website, which doesn’t hold well for the level of service you may get from them. They also have a specific clause against “modified” wheels which I would read as making it unsafe for you to consider opening it up to check if something simple like a lead coming unplugged in transit had occurred.

Edited by Keith
  • Upvote 2

@Keith has pretty much followed up with everything I could suggest. Absolutely contact FreeMotion and request a return. The have sold you a bad wheel and need to remedy the situation. If they will refund you then take it and order a Solowheel Glide 2 direct from InMotion USA. It is the same wheel under a different name with guaranteed good follow up support.

How did you contact InMotion? What website? There is a global one but also a US specific one which would be more helpful. Several of the employees of the US aligned branch have accounts on here. I will tag them further on in the post but would understand if the support they could provide would be limited if this was indeed a grey import wheel meant for another market.

@Bobwheel, @Jeffrey Scott Will are you able to offer assistance or advice?

• Upvote 1

Sorry for the delay in reply, I hit my post limit.

I'm going to return it to FreeMotion for a refund.  I contacted InMotion through the phone number on myinmotion.com (877) 440-1644.  I still haven't heard back from them which is a little upsetting.

Where do you recommend I buy the replacement from?  Is there any difference between ordering on Solowheel.com or myinmotion.com?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Great news on the refund.

As for where to buy from. There is little difference between myinmotion.com and solowheel.com. They are different web sites for the same team in San Diego. The only difference is that the InMotion website deals with all InMotion products, not just the rebranded "Solowheel" ones.

It is disappointing that you haven't heard back from them. They may not be able to help you but a response would have been nice. Come on @Bobwheel and @Jeffrey Scott Will. Where are you?

If the lack of response from them has left an understandable bad taste in your mouth then also take a look at eWheels.com. @Jason McNeil is very active on this forum and is the owner of the website. Nearly everyone in the US on these forums has great things to say about his customer service at point of sale and afterwards if a problem crops up. I got my InMotion V8 from him and was very happy with the purchase (thankfully no need for a repair). His price looks the same as it is at Solowheel/MyInmotion and he includes the protective cover (as does Solowheel?MyInmotion) but also the trolly handle which it would seem Solowheel.MyInmotion does not. That is a nice bonus.

I'd get it from Jason if I were you.

Edited by WARPed1701D
  • Like 2

I bought my first wheel from EBay.  It was an InMotion V8.  It would not charge.  I sent it back and bought a wheel from Jason at eWheels.com.  I am glad I did because by then I had decided to bite the bullet and get a , .......  wheel that fit my needs better.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, twogirlsonewheel said:

When I started riding I thought you'd have to be crazy to hit the top speed on this thing.  Now I wish it had more.

That's normal and healthy:efee8319ab: Enjoy your upgrade urges, and then enjoy your next wheel:efef62fc70: just don't forget the appropriate protective gear.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, twogirlsonewheel said:

Well, I said I'd update, so here it is.

Got the wheel from eWheels in a timely manner, everything on it worked fine, no complaints.  Wish I bought from them in the first place.

I was reading online about people learning to ride and how long it takes and I thought, man, if it takes me that long to figure this thing out I'm gonna be disappointed in myself.  Lemme say, it's way harder than most people make it look, lol.  I was able to get around after about 30min of practice but I wasn't very stable.  The wheel's got 40mi on it now.  I'd say 25 of those were other people trying it out.  Had a big family reunion I took it to and that wheel got pounded.  It shows it but it can take way more abuse than I thought.  With the time I have on it now, I'm really comfortable on it.  No problem multi-tasking while riding or carrying something and riding.  Most of my riding is off-road on packed gravel and other than occasionally picking up a rock and carrying it around, the thing has no trouble.  When I started riding I thought you'd have to be crazy to hit the top speed on this thing.  Now I wish it had more.  I weigh around 185 and the thing doesn't seem to have any trouble hauling me around.  I could see how a bit larger diameter wheel would be nicer.  I need to work on jumping up on small curbs or cracks in concrete.  Jumping off of stuff is easy but I need some more practice to jump up.

All in all, totally happy with the purchase and the product.

The V5F was my first EUC after the Segway A1A I got from ebay had a bad battery. Got my V5f from ewheels too, because of the great CS reports from the forum and their own website. I learned on that machine too, and I still use my V5F for others to learn and to go on short trips to the store and back.

You are doing great, and it is something to take it to a family reunion. Everyone wants to try it out after a couple of rounds. It is a tough little wheel, and the padded cover makes it easier to loan out for learning.

After getting used to every machine, I always will want more speed. So you will probably always want more speed. Use this machine to learn to cruise just below the limit. It will make it easier on all the other EUCs you ride in the future. Most of our group rides are below 17mph and within 15 miles anyway. 

Its so nostalgic to hear the stories of new riders. It also fills me with a certain amount of pride to see how far we all have come since we were on our first unicycles. Congrats! ?

Edited by Stan Onymous
  • Like 1