Which did you choose and why? KS18L, MSuper X, Z10!

joku

26 minutes ago, novazeus said:

the past couple of days here have been really bad because of the humidity

Expect consistently inconsistent weather all summer... (Hot but wet.)

lg_7day.jpg.92426209c44fb6aa5004d34dac93a404.jpg

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My thoughts: 

InMotion -  all of there wheels seem to be made for small gentle people.  Low weight limits small batteries.  questionable axles  NOPE!

Ninebot  -   Only makes one wheel for the serious rider and it seems to be more of a gimmick.  What is it better at?  What does it replace?  (Might be a good wheel to complete the collection.)  NOPE!

-----------------------------------------------------------------

KingSong -  18L  VS  GotWay  MSX   

Speed     MSX  wins       (not by much)

Distance  MXS  wins     (clear winner)

Rugged  18L  wins         (clear winner)

Quality  18L   wins         (clear winner) 

So for me it comes down to distance vs quality and ruggedness.    

8 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

For other peoples edification, the owner of any Gotway wheel can turn on the tilt-back to the maximum speed that they desire to ride at. No cutout. Easy peasy as they say.

Gotway wheels can be configured just as safe as any of the speed throttling wheels out there (KingSong, Inmotion, etc). If the owner doesn't have the self-control to enable such features, that's their poor judgement not Gotway's. My opinion of course.

The 18L looks like a fantastic wheel. I'm a distance guy so that's why it's not on my personal must-buy list.

I am copying the above because I think people need to read it. Gotways treats us like adults and therefore let's us set our warning beeps/tilt-back. If someone sets the final alarm to be three beeps and rides in a manner or places where the beeps might not be heard in time .. then let Darwinian Law take it's course. Gotways have a poorer off the assembly line rate of failures than the other brands, but that's it. I have seen no empirical or seat-of-the pants data to suggest that Gotways ridden at the speeds and manner of the other wheels, fail at a higher rate. I don't own a Gotway, but the bashing and often misinformation is getting tiring.  "Let it be". 

51 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

My thoughts: 

InMotion -  all of there wheels seem to be made for small gentle people.  Low weight limits small batteries.  questionable axles  NOPE!

Ninebot  -   Only makes one wheel for the serious rider and it seems to be more of a gimmick.  What is it better at?  What does it replace?  (Might be a good wheel to complete the collection.)  NOPE!

-----------------------------------------------------------------

KingSong -  18L  VS  GotWay  MSX   

Speed     MSX  wins       (not by much)

Distance  MXS  wins     (clear winner)

Rugged  18L  wins         (clear winner)

Quality  18L   wins         (clear winner) 

So for me it comes down to distance vs quality and ruggedness.    

After you've drained your 18L battery down to ~50%, the MSX will win the speed context by a wide margin. KingSong always speed throttles.

36 minutes ago, Jerome said:

I am copying the above because I think people need to read it. Gotways treats us like adults and therefore let's us set our warning beeps/tilt-back. If someone sets the final alarm to be three beeps and rides in a manner or places where the beeps might not be heard in time .. then let Darwinian Law take it's course. Gotways have a poorer off the assembly line rate of failures than the other brands, but that's it. I have seen no empirical or seat-of-the pants data to suggest that Gotways ridden at the speeds and manner of the other wheels, fail at a higher rate. I don't own a Gotway, but the bashing and often misinformation is getting tiring.  "Let it be". 

Someone buy this man a Gotway wheel :cheers:

7 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

. He rides his Monster

yeah looks like Bob might be getting the hang of this euc riding.(jealous).

normally i’m hugely anti-social( i blame the massive dosages of cannabis oil i’ve consumed), but watching the group rides in nyc and elsewhere reminds me of the harley group rides i’ve done(not really a fan of those), but what i find really neat about euc’s as opposed to motorcycles, on a group ride u can chat with ur friends and have more camaraderie.

it’s a very unique activity.

not bashing hotways, i do thnk they are ugly and i’ve seen the guts of my 18s, and that’s not particularly impressive to me, coming from my background, and if it is supposedly better than hotway’s, my my, i’d be scared.

i was tempted today to ride nekkid to my gate, and i probably could but my luck some deputy sheriff would be turning around in my apron or something as soon as i got there. they probably wouldn’t do anything. they avoid me as much as possible.

2 minutes ago, novazeus said:

yeah looks like Bob might be getting the hang of this euc riding.(jealous).

normally i’m hugely anti-social( i blame the massive dosages of cannabis oil i’ve consumed), but watching the group rides in nyc and elsewhere reminds me of the harley group rides i’ve done(not really a fan of those), but what i find really neat about euc’s as opposed to motorcycles, on a group ride u can chat with ur friends and have more camaraderie.

it’s a very unique activity.

not bashing hotways, i do thnk they are ugly and i’ve seen the guts of my 18s, and that’s not particularly impressive to me, coming from my background, and if it is supposedly better than hotway’s, my my, i’d be scared.

i was tempted today to ride nekkid to my gate, and i probably could but my luck some deputy sheriff would be turning around in my apron or something as soon as i got there. they probably wouldn’t do anything. they avoid me as much as possible.

You are on your property, you can do as you choose even if you choose to be naked.  LOL

The most free you can be is on your wheel, while you are naked and you willy flapping away...  Sorry, bad image.  LOL

speaking of treating  us like adults. nobody answered my question before.

i reach 201km, i unlock my 18s to 50kph, i sell it to a new guy that’s never been on one, if he doesn’t ever use the app, i’m sure he’s fine, but if he goes into the speed settings and he’s not registered with kingsong, does it revert back to 40kph?

any logical minded person, that was trying to be a nanny, would tie the top speed setting to the user, not the frigging wheel, ie i gotta start all over again because kingsong thinks the 18L is too much for me.

a few years ago, i bought several pairs of speedos but never used them. had the boys too crowded. naked was much better.

started wearing clothes again when Bob was in his puppy stage and was bad about jumping up and chomping on body parts.

man, with those razor sharp puppy teeth, that woulda hurt. my arms are still scarred from his teeth and claws.

God made those puppies ready to rumble early on.

1 hour ago, eddiemoy said:

You are on your property, you can do as you choose even if you choose to be naked.  LOL

The most free you can be is on your wheel, while you are naked and you willy flapping away...  Sorry, bad image.  LOL

You were almost starting to sound like @Hunka Hunka Burning Love :D

1 hour ago, novazeus said:

a t-shirt with ur face on it? nah, eddie is no where near ur admirer.

hey, ur in kalifornia, everything is cool.

btw, did u see all these fb posts about 18L’s getting delivered all f**ked up?

No, no. The reference to @Hunka Hunka Burning Love had to do with Eddies bodily parts comment :lol:

I didn't read about the 18L's. Look like I need to login to Facebook tonight. Sounds strange consideration their superior reputation.

There's one way to ride and avoid the flapping.  No need to point it out to you, but just watch out for those pesky mosquitoes.  :whistling:

Regarding the T-shirt and mousepad, well, we all need idols and icons!  :w00t2:  Plus I just happen to admire the art and talent behind the painting.

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

I didn't read about the 18L's. Look like I need to login to Facebook tonight. Sounds strange consideration their superior reputation

as a builder in my previous life, i don’t know whether to laugh or cry at kingsong’s lack of trying.

get 98% right and screw up the easy stuff. 

1 hour ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

There's one way to ride and avoid the flapping.  No need to point it out to you, but just watch out for those pesky mosquitoes.  :whistling:

Regarding the T-shirt and mousepad, well, we all need idols and icons!  :w00t2:  Plus I just happen to admire the art and talent behind the painting.

ya, Bob’s mine. much better looking than marty, but different strokes.

btw, i know u have interest in florida real estate, the president of pasco county economic development council texted me today wanting to know if i was alive.

he said he had some medical office building architect looking to buy and they(pasco county) would help with zoning. of course i told him i hoped it was a medical marijuana research and treatment center.

anyway, a little movement.

8 minutes ago, novazeus said:

as a builder in my previous life, i don’t know whether to laugh or cry at kingsong’s lack of trying.

get 98% right and screw up the easy stuff. 

Just got back from Facebook. Looks bad, yet I didn't get the sense that the problems were wide spread. Guess we'll find out when you and the rest of America get theirs. I know that @Jason McNeil can wield a strong whip to keep the manufacturers in line. If he's reading the same 18L problem reports he's probably on the line with them right now to make sure his batch comes out right.

5 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Just got back from Facebook. Looks bad, yet I didn't get the sense that the problems were wide spread. Guess we'll find out when you and the rest of America get theirs. I know that @Jason McNeil can wield a strong whip to keep the manufacturers in line. If he's reading the same 18L problem reports he's probably on the line with them right now to make sure his batch comes out right.

ya, when jason gets shipped a demo wheel that is toast because they don’t pack it right? so funny to me. 

i  guess u gotta work with that cheap labor.

The devil's in the details.  Someone's got to install a key interlock master power interrupt switch on these babies, but that would add another point of failure into the system.

IMG_4432.jpg

Or even a simple push button protective cover...

IMG_4433.jpg

Or just make a small notch into the styrofoam padding so it doesn't activate the darn wheel!  :rolleyes:

Or do what InMotion does: disable the wheel before shipping, requiring the customer to press a tiny reset pin hidden inside a tiny hole in the body before the wheel can be turned on using the power button.

1 hour ago, thefork said:

Or do what InMotion does: disable the wheel before shipping, requiring the customer to press a tiny reset pin hidden inside a tiny hole in the body before the wheel can be turned on using the power button.

mine wasn’t like that.

For me it was between the KS18L or the MSuper X.  I wanted the wider tire and the extra battery so I chose the MSuperX.  I like long cruises so I'm hoping the combination of the wide larger tire will be more comfortable. 

Previously I never would've bought a Gotway wheel but I feel that they've addressed a lot of the quality concerns people have in this wheel.  I guess time will tell.  Everyone here says the KS18L build quality is much better than the MSuperX but the Kingsong is still using wood screws on some of the shell.  As someone who has taken apart my KS16 about 30 times now for various issues I can tell you that those screws in plastic are not best practice.  I've had to use a soldering iron to re-form several of the pegs so the screws would take hold again.  The MSuperX is using metal inserts so this should not be an issue.

Other issues I've had with my Kingsong:

1. Cracked axles (they replaced the motor with an improved version under warranty, granted, but I had to shell out for new pillars as the old ones were incompatible).
  2. Pillars coming loose and scraping the motor as there was no locktite on the screws.
  3. Alarm beeper stopped working about 6 months in.  Although I like it off anyway.
  4. Handle had to be replaced after a year as it wouldn't retract.
  5. One of the speakers stopped working.  The wire was pinched in the shell and had to be resoldered.
  6. One of the pedals cracked down the side.  Luckily didn't cause me to wipe out.  Had to be replaced out of pocket.
  7. That damn "Hello Kingsong"!!!

Don't get me wrong, I love my Kingsong, but I'm just not seeing the superior build quality everyone assumes on here and the KS18L is more of the same.  I always say brand loyalty is for suckers, so it's time to try something new.

It's a KS16B, not S.  According to the app is 4200km or so.  But I guess that's another issue, it's not accurate by 25% or something.  Although there is a new update apparently that says it will fix that.

26 minutes ago, novazeus said:

mine wasn’t like that.

Ok, I guess that could be something that Jason at ewheels did before sending my V5F+ along. Or maybe they (InMotion) have changed their routines between then and now.

Archived