Which did you choose and why? KS18L, MSuper X, Z10!

joku

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was sold on the Z10 but got cold feet from the early reviews and the continuing questions over whether it will ever be available in Europe. There dosent seem to be a supplier/agent in the UK. 

I have since wobbled between the Inmotion  and the KS18L. I don't fully trust Gotway (just my own hangup about the QC). The IM has such a lovely slim design and i love my current wheel from them but the specs have me leaning toward the 18L. Its the least interesting looking wheel but I'm going to be riding the thing not looking at it so i feel (at least at the moment) that i will go that way. I have a 18S which i also like a lot and the tall form factor has really grown on me. 

Yeah, I would add V10F to the list as one of the 2018 big models. 

I chose the V10F because it was available, to be honest. The others I would still be waiting for. I couldn’t live with the Ninebot S2 any longer. There were only rumors of the specs for other of these wheels in February-March time when I payed the pre-order fee. In december I had already decided on the Z10 as I didn’t even know about the others. But it looked like it would never arrive here in Finland. 

I liked the tire, wide but not too big. It felt like a good step up from the 14” wheel. I also liked the narrow body, build quality, great app, power, safety and the way InMotion worked and presented themselves here. Gotway had bad reputation, Ninebot would be never finished and KingSong feels distant. Also I thought that the coming 18L would be too big for me. I’m very happy with my purchase and looking forward to unlock 45 km/h plus the promised upgrades to the firmware.

If I would be making the decision now based on only reviews and specs, it would be difficult. MSuper X might feel too expensive and too big. Z10 feels like a niche product, but very interesting. I think I would choose between 18L and V10F. They are very similar and would suit my use and need perfectly. I’m sure I would be very happy with the 18L also. Still most likely I would choose the V10F because I like and trust the company. 

I did not and would not base my decision on side lights, bluetooth speakers or speed over 40 km/h. My wheel must have a trolley handle, but I would not care which one. They all do the job when needed, I don’t buy the wheel to walk with it. Front light is quite important. Speed must be at least 35 km/h. App is not the most important but I do like it when it’s good and has some nice features. 

You can buy a BMW or a Nissan and both have the same power, acceleration and top speed. But they would still be very different cars on a track or in everyday use. This is the problem with choosing EUCs without testing them. Only a few of us are lucky enough to be able to test drive their purchases. 

Well, I have the v10f and just ordered the 18l.   I'll do a side by side comparison video when I get it.  

I choose them both because I wanted something sorta nimble but with higher speeds, good build quality, and higher safefy ratings.

I need a new 18" wheel so I'm looking forward to reading this thread. I'm deciding between the Gotway MSX and the KS18L. 

I have 2 Gotway (MS3 and Tesla) and they've both been reliable and fun. I've never even seen a King Song but I like what I've seen in videos. I too was considering the Ninebot (I have a NB1 E+) but some of the videos I've seen have turned me off it (odd handling).

I bought the 18L, needed something to replace my KS16, non S, my goto for short rides.  I thought the V10F would replace the KS16, but so far it hasn't happened.  Maybe when the new firmware comes out I would feel different.  But the V10F is also big and heavy.  

I value safety above performance.  That is why I didn't choose the MsuperX.  Other reason was I didn't like my Msuper V3s+ because of the high center of gravity.  I felt it was just too weird after riding the KS16 and 18S. The 15% failure rate is to high for me to enjoy riding.

I didn't choose the Ninebot Z10 because of the weird feeling when riding.  After about 5-10 minutes with the wheel you get used to it, but I prefer wheels that I can just get on and ride.  No special adjustment period needed.  I don't have a need to ride off road.  I think it is like a motorcycle, two different methods of turning, one for above 10mph, one for under...  

The 18L checked all my boxes.  Speed, Power, and great form factor.  Most importantly company with record of safety.

When first announced, I was sure the Z10 was my next wheel. I spend very little time on paved surfaces, and love bicycle pathways and paths the most. I thought the Z would be perfect for me, the most comfortable, and wouldn’t sink into soft sand or gravel. But I’ve noticed that wider and flatter tires want to stay upright when turning at speed. I don’t like the feeling, so I became worried that the Z would be even worse. Turns out I was right.

V10F is still a 16” wheel, and I felt like I wouldn’t get familiar with the acceleration or the high leg contact point. It’s also heavy for a ~1000Wh wheel. And it’s just a ~1000Wh wheel. Thanks @UniVehje for letting me try yours!

As I’ve ridden 8500km on a KS 16S, the 18L felt like a safe choice. But as my trips are getting longer and longer, even my current 1000Wh battery is a limiting factor. So I’d pay closer to two grand for a wheel that doesn’t check two of my three most important features (18” wheel, more range, and atleast a possibility for a 3” tire mod) for my new wheel.

Last year when Gotway and it’s riders were literally eating mud, I swore that I would never support that company or purchase their wheels. I just don’t share their perspective on rider safety, product responsibility, customer communication and fault handling. Yet the Msuper X is the only wheel that checks the first three boxes on my list, so I was forced into making a compromise either way. Other reasons why I broke my promise, and what I had to tell myself before I was able to order the Msuper X:

• There are several happy riders here that swear to the brand. Must be something to it. I blame mostly @Marty Backe... ?
  • Gotway has improved on several areas on the X regarding safety and reliability.
  • I have reasonable skills to examine the wheel in detail before use, perform maintenance, and repair when something goes wrong.
  • I really liked the riding geometry on the old Msuper v3 I tried. Very comfortable. Thanks @Pasi!
  • First comments on the X were very positive.

I just sold my msuper v3s + 2 days ago and decided to purchase the ks18L. I had a bit of a hard time deciding between the 18l and msuper x because both wheels’ aesthetic looks we’re off the chart. I chose the 18L because of the lighter weight, better trolley handle, and safety(doesn’t mean I won’t get gotway brand later on;))I can’t wait for it to arrive! I chose the black matte color. In the mean time, I have to start saving up again. I do want to eventually get the ks18s and mten3. I think my life will be complete by then. ??

I chose and paid for KS18L, waiting for delivery.

With the Z10, I never really liked it. I want my wheel to resemble bicycle, not motorcycle. I often trolley it indoors and I'm glad people often think it is expensive suitcase, or even vacuum cleaner ?. As the wide tire doesn't seem to have any benefits for shock absorption (stated by early reviews), there is no reason for me to get it.

Msuper X is not very pretty, but main reason I didn't get it is that I don't trust Gotway company for their quality control and failure rates. Also top speed behavior, where it let you go until cutout, is super scary.

V10F is the one I was originally hyped about. As owner of V5F and later V8, this was supposed to be next step for me. I reserved one in April and hoped for early June delivery. European batch got delayed to late June / early July which gave me more time to reconsider. Early reviews didn't convince me of this wheel "superiority". Maybe I over-hyped it for myself. Then bearing problems begun and some other early owners reported another issues. I know Inmotion is taking care of it, but again it lowered my "superiority" view of V10F. I still believe V10F is a wonderful wheel, but KS18L is IMHO just a bit better so in the end I went with that one.

23 minutes ago, Juick said:

I chose and paid for KS18L, waiting for delivery.

With the Z10, I never really liked it. I want my wheel to resemble bicycle, not motorcycle. I often trolley it indoors and I'm glad people often think it is expensive suitcase, or even vacuum cleaner ?. As the wide tire doesn't seem to have any benefits for shock absorption (stated by early reviews), there is no reason for me to get it.

Msuper X is not very pretty, but main reason I didn't get it is that I don't trust Gotway company for their quality control and failure rates. Also top speed behavior, where it let you go until cutout, is super scary.

V10F is the one I was originally hyped about. As owner of V5F and later V8, this was supposed to be next step for me. I reserved one in April and hoped for early June delivery. European batch got delayed to late June / early July which gave me more time to reconsider. Early reviews didn't convince me of this wheel "superiority". Maybe I over-hyped it for myself. Then bearing problems begun and some other early owners reported another issues. I know Inmotion is taking care of it, but again it lowered my "superiority" view of V10F. I still believe V10F is a wonderful wheel, but KS18L is IMHO just a bit better so in the end I went with that one.

For other peoples edification, the owner of any Gotway wheel can turn on the tilt-back to the maximum speed that they desire to ride at. No cutout. Easy peasy as they say.

Gotway wheels can be configured just as safe as any of the speed throttling wheels out there (KingSong, Inmotion, etc). If the owner doesn't have the self-control to enable such features, that's their poor judgement not Gotway's. My opinion of course.

The 18L looks like a fantastic wheel. I'm a distance guy so that's why it's not on my personal must-buy list.

I'm fairly new to eucs i bought a ks 16s as my first training wheel a couple of months ago i was up and of within the first hour and ride almost everyday for pleasure only as I'm in the UK so keeping away from the law , i already want a second wheel for long distance and trail riding it does put me off a little listening to people say gotways are unreliable but then again I've watched Marty's videos and a few others trailing and long journeys i really fancy the msuper x I'm a sensible rider do i have anything to worry about 

I plan to trail ride too, but there are portions of trails(soft sand, boulders, creeks,etc...) that require walking because it's unrideable. I don't think something as heavy as the msuper x would be the right choice in those cases

28 minutes ago, stephen said:

I'm fairly new to eucs i bought a ks 16s as my first training wheel a couple of months ago i was up and of within the first hour and ride almost everyday for pleasure only as I'm in the UK so keeping away from the law , i already want a second wheel for long distance and trail riding it does put me off a little listening to people say gotways are unreliable but then again I've watched Marty's videos and a few others trailing and long journeys i really fancy the msuper x I'm a sensible rider do i have anything to worry about 

I take my various Gotway wheels far into the back-country and they've never failed me yet. From my personal experience and that of others, all wheels are very robust and generally only fail when operated at the extremes (including extreme speeds).

If your new Gotway doesn't fail out of the box, I think it should last thousands of miles. Look at a very recent post from @Bob Eisenman. He rides his Monster continuously. Look at his total mileage

42870625122_2b2843aed1_b.jpg

Other people can say the same thing.

I'm buying the MSuper X, but you probably already knew that.

1 hour ago, stephen said:

I've watched Marty's videos

I'm a fan of Marty's videos as well. My riding can be much less professional in intent. The Monster is great for open road and gentle back roads but as a hill climber on loose gravel it slows to a crawl for me. I just turned the odometer to 5089 km after a 29 mile ride on road and rail bed.

My last ride.

My interest in optics and video production is not strongly influenced by the SoCal aerospace industry (ex aerocube8 or cubesat )

http://space.skyrocket.de/doc_sdat/aerocube-8-impact.htm

My trusty low price action cam and I wander all over taking gigabytes of mediocre video but the Marty cutting edge optics and image stabilization beats my video setup hands down. He really makes a visually appealing EUC YouTube post.

I need to upgrade from my ninebot s2...... So this new generation is perfect (well, it would have been perfect if they were out 3 months ago)

I *love* the look of the ninebot, but was concerned about some of the early reviews.. Mechanical problems, handling, etc.. Struck it off my list... (still drool over the appearance though)

Next up was the V10F - I love the lights, the headlights, etc - and then I found out about the lower top speed, and the throttling when not under full battery... Again, it got taken off the list...

That leaves me with the KS18L - an all around 'good' wheel... Good top speed, good distance, reliable, decent appearance... Black Matte will arrive for me in August...

love my V10F but since ultimately i’m trying to conquer riding around my ranch, i gotta give the 18L and Z10 a go. 

i haven’t tried it yet, but the 16s idon’t think has the muscle to slug through the irrregularities of my pastures. u can’t really have a lot of momentum because u catch too much air. none of them might work, actually. 

14 minutes ago, novazeus said:

love my V10F but since ultimately i’m trying to conquer riding around my ranch, i gotta give the 18L and Z10 a go. 

i haven’t tried it yet, but the 16s idon’t think has the muscle to slug through the irrregularities of my pastures. u can’t really have a lot of momentum because u catch too much air. none of them might work, actually. 

you need the higher pedals of the V10F, 18L, 18S, Z10.  lol  Msuper(X) if you willing to try.

51 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

you need the higher pedals of the V10F, 18L, 18S, Z10.  lol  Msuper(X) if you willing to try.

no, i’m too superficial. i think hotways are ugly and i’ve seen too many pictures of their guts to wanna try them.

plus, coincidental or not, seems like the hotway riders get hurt more often.

the V10F might very well be the best pasture wheel but it’s so refined and pretty, i hate to take it out there with the cactus and cow turds. 

the 18S has the power and big tire but that extra 4 or so pounds up top really taxes ur core trying to keep it upright. 

i know one thing, i’m grilling Bob’s chicken breast now, so he lets me ride a little bit solo, but it’s so frigging hot, riding doesn’t even cool me off. 

idk how that brit @WARPed1701D stands it because he gets all suited up when he rides, and i’m 4th gen floridian, and my blood still isn’t thin enough.

2 minutes ago, novazeus said:

idk how that brit @WARPed1701D stands it because he gets all suited up when he rides, and i’m 4th gen floridian, and my blood still isn’t thin enough.

It's bloody tough and I'll admit I'm struggling this year. I try to avoid riding between 10am and 4pm and I think we are a few degrees cooler over the bay. My gear is very well vented and my ride is almost unbroken and at 16-18mph (depending on the V8 battery) which provides a constant artifical breeze. The second I stop it becomes intollerable though and the sweating starts. I actually plan my commute not with priority to avoid traffic or potholes but to travel the streets with the most overhanging trees and shade.

Florida summer is the absolute pits...and it isn't even the hot months yet! I'd rather endure cold and rain than Florida summer heat. At least you can put more clothes on in the cold. There comes a point when removing them due to heat gets you in trouble. Especially if your wheel runs over your....tether! :eff05cf9bc:

9 hours ago, WARPed1701D said:

It's bloody tough and I'll admit I'm struggling this year. 

Q: What side of the road do they drive on in Florida.

A: The side that is in the shade ?

I bought the Inmotion V10f an it failed right out of the box, I replaced it immediately with the MCM5 and couldn't be happier. I also bought and waiting on the Musper X.

The main reason is none of the others have close to the battery capacity of the MSX. I know everyone says "I don't need that range",  but I do, Its a fine feeling having extra juice for the touring days which I love.  Ive never had a problem with any of my Gotways. Looking forward to the speed and range.

42 minutes ago, novazeus said:

no, i’m too superficial. i think hotways are ugly and i’ve seen too many pictures of their guts to wanna try them.

plus, coincidental or not, seems like the hotway riders get hurt more often.

the V10F might very well be the best pasture wheel but it’s so refined and pretty, i hate to take it out there with the cactus and cow turds. 

the 18S has the power and big tire but that extra 4 or so pounds up top really taxes ur core trying to keep it upright. 

i know one thing, i’m grilling Bob’s chicken breast now, so he lets me ride a little bit solo, but it’s so frigging hot, riding doesn’t even cool me off. 

Ah, you are also on the risk adverse side.  Should have figured that out from your MC advice.  I think the GW riders take more chances that is why they get hurt more often, plus the 15% failure rate. I also don't see the appeal of their design.  But I guess everyone is different when it comes to what they find appealing.

On 6/19/2018 at 4:25 PM, joku said:

I'm sure there are a lot of others, like myself, still deciding. Help us by telling us why you chose what you did!

I chose the KS18L. Its a 30 mph wheel, it is an 18" wheel, it has high pedals, fit and finish look superb. I like the look, I don't need more range, "probably" won't have "initial" QA problems, comes in white. I hate the "forced" speed cut-back as the battery drains, BUT, it will go 20 mph for most of the battery drain, so it doesn't effect me because I am a 16-20 mph rider. The V10F at the same price offered nothing to compensate for it being a "16" wheel. The tough choice was the MSX. It offered greater range, no mandatory speed restrictions or mandatory mileage before unlocking to highest speed and a larger wheel in width and girth at the same price for the 1300 ah model. It boiled down to its look, fit-n-finish, and style. Marty thinks the square blocks between your legs Gotways are masculine.  From a "East Coast Cool" Philly perspective .. not so much. The acceptable models are the Tesla and MCM5. Yes the MCM5 has cheesy looking fake grill, but cheesy or not it and its more round shape gives it the "it" factor, that and the fact that it is super bad-ass. I have paid very little attention to the Gotway bashers, especially since many have never owned a Gotway, BUT, they do plant that little seed of doubt. Oh, almost forgot about the Z10. I was not willing to wait although it is intriguing. The wide wheel has become less appealing as my riding skills grow. I doubt it will out perform the KS18L.

@WARPed1701D def better where ur at. 2 hours from sunset now and weather app says feels like 100.

the past couple of days here have been really bad because of the humidity. i bought a little portable on wheels, nice unit, haier, ac, suppose to not have to drain the condensation from it because it running supposedly is suppose to evaporate the water. started it up last night around 8pm, in the old homestead, checked on it today, and it was off because its water collector was already full. 

guess haier has never been to florida.

u know it’s hot when Bob spends the night inside with me in the ac. if it’s tolerable for him, he’d much rather be outside.

Archived