Duf's Z10 Experience

Duf

Here is my thread covering my thoughts about the Z10 as they develop.  I received the wheel yesterday and took it out some last night.

It is a very "dense" wheel.  It almost feels like a Monster was hit with a shrink ray that kept the weight but knocked a third off it's size.  The look and feel of the wheel in person is impressive and measures up to what I have seen in pictures and videos.  The fit and finish seems top notch and what I have come to expect of a Ninebot product.

Wide is a recurring theme when I describe the wheel.  Not only is the tire almost motorcycle looking in width, the pedals, which have been touted all along as being Ninebot One knock offs feel much wider than I recall.  Even my big size 13 feet had extra space to move in and out, more so than I do on my Msuper style pedals which surprised the hell out of me.

I was very nervous hopping on for my first ride which was able to do pretty quickly since Chris was nice enough to send the wheel with a full charge on it.  The first few minutes in the driveway were very similar to what I remember when I first rode the Monster.  Body movements that would turn my other wheels did not have the same effect on the Z10.  As Chris mentioned several times, going straight on the Z10 is extremely easy because of the fat tire, it just wants to stay upright. Despite the different physics and geometry of the wheel within a half hour or so I felt much more comfortable as my body learned what does and doesn't work pretty quickly which I talk about a lot in the video.

As far as power and braking I have zero complaints.  Acceleration and braking was smooth and predictable.  Keep in mind my other wheels are a 67V Msuper V3 and an original Monster but with that background, the Z10 felt just fine to me initially and even better once I started leaning more to bring on the power more rapidly. The wheel cruises at speed easily.  My top speed during the ride was over 25mph and it obviously had a lot more to give if I asked it to.

So I will expand on this as my experience continues.  I have a very busy two days ahead of me with me traveling all around the county trying to test the wheel in various situations.  Yes, the swamp will be one of them. :)

My initial assumption when I saw the wide/tubeless tire design was that it was designed to increase the safety of riding on roads with potholes.  I now wonder whether the objective was to introduce a wheel that is easier to learn to ride (instead of any safety focus) in order to make the learning curve easier and therefore increase sales/adoption.  

34 minutes ago, mezzanine said:

My initial assumption when I saw the wide/tubeless tire design was that it was designed to increase the safety of riding on roads with potholes.  I now wonder whether the objective was to introduce a wheel that is easier to learn to ride (instead of any safety focus) in order to make the learning curve easier and therefore increase sales/adoption.  

It definitely makes slow, straight riding significantly easier than what I recall on my old Ninebot One E+

27 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

@Duf What PETG filament do you use for your EUC prints? From the pictures it doesn't look as shiny as regular PETG.

Thanks!

I don't print in PetG normally, it is almost always PLA+ from Esun , Hatchbox or Solutech PLA

10 minutes ago, Duf said:

I don't print in PetG normally, it is almost always PLA+ from Esun , Hatchbox or Solutech PLA

Just wondering because the description in your webshop talks about PETG :) 

2 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

@Marty Backe will get it next, and then we will get ALL the mountain stress info. Not too many hills in Florida.

I'm really looking forward to see Alligator ride #2 though. Go @Duf:thumbup:

You will see some hill riding in Florida, honest. :)

2 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

ow, whoops, seems by clicking around in/on your sites I somehow got on someone else's site thinking it was yours:

https://eucguy.com/gotway-addons%2Fmods

Ah yes, Mathias makes his mudguards in PetG

15 minutes ago, Duf said:

You will see some hill riding in Florida, honest. :)

You did have an earlier video with something that was officially called "hill" but I refuse to do so:efeebb3acc:

In seriousness, looking forward to your videos and info! Enjoy the wheel.

12 minutes ago, Turbocharged said:

@Duf you can try riding Z backwards (brake light facing forward). It’s easier to turn, just for fun. And pushing Z backwards with stock trolley handle is actually much easier to do than the normal way.

Interesting idea, I'll try it.

3 hours ago, fryman said:

If time, try to get a battery mileage range test.

Based on numbers I got on this test I would estimate you get 30-40 miles per charge based on rider weight and riding conditions.

10 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

@Marty Backe will get it next, and then we will get ALL the mountain stress info. Not too many hills in Florida.

I'm really looking forward to see Alligator ride #2 though. Go @Duf:thumbup:

Actually, Chooch in Denver gets it next.   Should be interesting.

8 minutes ago, mezzanine said:

Chooch is the best reviewer, IMO.  I think he reviews other tech stuff, which probably helps.  

I am looking forward to Chooch's review also. However, I believe Duf's review is revealing more real word insight to my expectation as a perchancer.  I am no Chooch ........ At least not yet. :efee6b18f3:

Great first impression video @duf! Curious...what are your thoughts about the wobbles you experienced? You could definately see then in the video. Did you experiment with different foot positions to help dampen the teeter movements? 

18 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Great first impression video @duf! Curious...what are your thoughts about the wobbles you experienced? You could definately see then in the video. Did you experiment with different foot positions to help dampen the teeter movements? 

It's very weird, I felt them less during my hill testing in the afternoon.

Archived