Ninebot One Z In-Depth Review by houseofjob

houseofjob

Just now, Rehab1 said:

You knocked it out of the park @houseofjob!! Extremely informative and entertaining review! I loved the comic relief subtitles! :thumbup: :cheers:

Thanks Dan! 

Yeah, it got kind of long, plus I cringe watching myself speak on camera, soooo.... stuffed bears tight-rope-unicycling and Michael Jackson leans are what you get!

1 minute ago, houseofjob said:

Thanks Dan! 

Yeah, it got kind of long, plus I cringe watching myself speak on camera, soooo.... stuffed bears tight-rope-unicycling and Michael Jackson leans are what you get!

Cringe? You where a natural!  For members that produce and post videos on the forum we are very aware that your presentation took a great deal of effort and time to compose. I picture you laughing everytime you found a humorous video clip to drag into the subject matter. :roflmao:

5 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Cringe? You where a natural!  For members that produce and post videos on the forum we are very aware that your presentation took a great deal of effort and time to compose. I picture you laughing everytime you found a humorous video clip to drag into the subject matter. :roflmao:

Haha, thanks! ?

2 hours ago, joku said:

There's some guy here saying his 2.5" wide tire makes him crash in wet gravel. At least pee on some gravel and ride that 4" bad boy through it

? Luckily that same some guy already has a 3.0” wheel coming...

5 hours ago, joku said:

There's some guy here saying his 2.5" wide tire makes him crash in wet gravel. At least pee on some gravel and ride that 4" bad boy through it

Uh, as Marty Backe's agent, I feel that I can speak for him and say, no, please God no, there are still some places that wheel has to visit along it's US tour.  MartyBackeland being one of them.  :whistling:

• 2 weeks later...

@houseofjob I am not sue if I got this right. The wheel tested was a pre production demo wheel of have you been riding the z10 now for extended mileage by now?

Or to put it short how many miles have you ridden the z10...and do you like it still?

I had my eyes set on KS18L but started to consider the Z10 as commuting /cruising solution. I mostly ride on cycle pathways but started to 'play' on gravel pathways now.

13 minutes ago, Unventor said:

@houseofjob I am not sue if I got this right. The wheel tested was a pre production demo wheel of have you been riding the z10 now for extended mileage by now?

Or to put it short how many miles have you ridden the z10...and do you like it still?

I had my eyes set on KS18L but started to consider the Z10 as commuting /cruising solution. I mostly ride on cycle pathways but started to 'play' on gravel pathways now.

The demo Z10 is a courtesy early unit sent to eWheels.com for being an exclusive North American distributor for the Z. 

It's being sent around to the US to friends/customers of eWheels.com, which includes myself for NYC (if I'm not mistaken, I believe it should be just about time for the Z to be sent to @Marty Backe / West Coast).

Here in the city, we had the unit for a little over a week, of which I made sure to ride it everyday / every possible chance, like I would any other EUC in my personal collection. 

Sorry, I didn't quantify in miles what that comes to, as I am not big on riding with mobile apps open (simply forgot), but the number would be skewed anyways, as I've toured it around to all our heavy-mileage local NYC riders for demo-ing as well. I would rough guess that I personally put a little over 50 miles on it in the aggregate.

As for do I like it? My pre-order survey for interest in ordering the Z10 is in with eWheels.com, if that's any indication. ?

If offroad / imperfect terrain is a high priority, I would say the Z is at the top of the EUC list, simply for the fact that the tire is the widest now at 4.1" wide.

10 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

The demo Z10 is a courtesy early unit sent to eWheels.com for being an exclusive North American distributor for the Z. 

It's being sent around to the US to friends/customers of eWheels.com, which includes myself for NYC (if I'm not mistaken, I believe it should be just about time for the Z to be sent to @Marty Backe / West Coast).

Here in the city, we had the unit for a little over a week, of which I made sure to ride it everyday / every possible chance, like I would any other EUC in my personal collection. 

Sorry, I didn't quantify in miles what that comes to, as I am not big on riding with mobile apps open (simply forgot), but the number would be skewed anyways, as I've toured it around to all our heavy-mileage local NYC riders for demo-ing as well. I would rough guess that I personally put a little over 50 miles on it in the aggregate.

As for do I like it? My pre-order survey for interest in ordering the Z10 is in with eWheels.com, if that's any indication. ?

If offroad / imperfect terrain is a high priority, I would say the Z is at the top of the EUC list, simply for the fact that the tire is the widest now at 4.1" wide.

Thank a lot for a fast clarifying answer. What made me consider this more is the ipx5 wheel /ip67 battery rating. That should make it rainshower proof. We get some rain here in Sweden normally. Not tropical showers but still rain at times for days in a row.

1 hour ago, Unventor said:

Thank a lot for a fast clarifying answer. What made me consider this more is the ipx5 wheel /ip67 battery rating. That should make it rainshower proof. We get some rain here in Sweden normally. Not tropical showers but still rain at times for days in a row.

No problem~

For rain, I still think most EUCs are in the same boat. All major parts tend to be coated to be water-resistant, so it's a matter of just trying to expose the wheel to as minimal rain as possible. (IMHO taller EUCs make a difference, with board preferably top-mounted (i.e. Tesla, KS18L, etc), as well as multiple barrier compartments to shield the board.)

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/18/2018 at 8:30 PM, houseofjob said:

I rewatched your review today. For a beginner wheel you seem to have mixed feelings on the video - if I got it right the con part had something to do with turning difficulty, the pro being slow maneuverability. Also Chooch commented on his vid that this is not a beginner wheel, although I was not quite clear why he thought that. I have never ridden an euc, yet despite all these counter-beginner-recommendations I am getting the Z10. What would you say is the hardest part with this wheel for a starting unicyclist.

Btw, it was an awesome vid where you and Tishawn (and someone else) were riding on Manhattan. Wish I could be riding there.

@Ziiten the beginner wheel comments are speculative on my part, as there’s no way I can speak from a beginner / learning perspective any more.

FWIW, you won’t be going all that fast as a beginner, so this wheel might be good for learning, minus the lack of side pads, which can easily be solved via DIY means. It’s just when you get past the beginner stage where high speed maneuvering will be more difficult than most other EUCs. But I’ll be working on a HS maneuvering technique video (in general), as well as trying to develop more of a Z-specific HS maneuvering overall technique.

Learning on the Z I think won’t be that bad, so long as you pad up the sides. (Ideal learning EUCs have the highest bodies possible, to reinforce the concept of leg against shell/pad vs foot pressing down on pedal).

And thanks for that thanks! Those vids were mostly on @Tishawn Fahie and @Citi Wheel‘s channels. Gotta love riding PEV in NYC!

19 hours ago, Ziiten said:

I rewatched your review today. For a beginner wheel you seem to have mixed feelings on the video - if I got it right the con part had something to do with turning difficulty, the pro being slow maneuverability. Also Chooch commented on his vid that this is not a beginner wheel, although I was not quite clear why he thought that. 

In fact, it is relatively easy to learn on a Z, it’s low center of gravity and stable wide tire all make it easier. But keep in mind that Z is a EUC of its own class, its riding charactis are very unique. If you learn on a Z, you will have difficulties adjusting to most other wheels.

Even ninebot is known for its build quality, a 50 lbs wheel is heavy and you can crack the shell more easily. And heavy wheel is more dangerous when it crash into something or even worse, someone...

A ninebot S2 with side pads is still one of the best for learning. It’s safe, built extremely tough never breaks, and even after you mastered the techniques and bought powerful wheels, you will still go back to a S2 from time to time.

Archived