How to Ride and electric unicycle - Learn in about an hour

that0n3guy

I can not hardly believe anyone suggests any other way than learning on a SHOPPING CART !!!

Elbows on at first. Then straightn up and just use hands. 

Not just to fastest and easiest way on earth. But also the SAFEST.

It saves you from crashing and falling over 9 million times scraping up and damaging it. 

You never fall or twist your ankles because the CART supports or catches you.

You gradually stand up straight and then let go for longer and longer times. The CART traveling right along head of you, ready to grab at any instant.

You simply push the CART around for less than a mile. Then while riding along the CART will suddenly drift left and ya just keep going straight.

I just kept going for 5 miles on my 3rd let go.

I've thought 6 people to ride this way.

Edited by The Wizard
Spelling
  • Like 3

i didn’t have anybody to help me. i did try a rolling walker but did not like it. 

so i set this up, put on heavy leather gloves so not to get splinters and started going back and forth, 15’ at a time until i could do it without touching the 2x4’s. 

might not be the fastest but definitely the safest. with ur hands gliding over the 2x4’s, u can’t fall. as u get braver, lift ur hands a bit. 

i’m gonna start practicing backwards and pendulums inside the boards soon. 

i don’t like to hurt myself. i hurt myself all the time but i try to figure out a way to avoid it.2F1C4672-62FA-4CC1-99D8-7F1485DF4936.jpeg.23fe76704f526cbe8a1da34c41176f17.jpeg

• Like 1

Yes, very good idea. I thought of that too. But it is just to short to be practical. I also almost bought a used wheeled walker. Too flimsy and unstable.

A chain link fence works good. I used a 100' long one on a Kmart building. I used it more to learn backwards, however. None forwards.

The SHOPPING CART method is far far superior to anything I've heard so far.

Secure, fast, simple, easy and you never fall off, twist an ankle or bang up your euc.

SHOPPING CART is the best!!!

I'd estimate 20 minutes before your headed across the parking lot on your own. Newbie turning, mounting and dis-mounting are a different story.

6 learners to prove it.

9b1 c+. 700 miles. 64. Iowa.

9A5583F2-5BE0-49EC-9B34-8B6F05AD9871.jpeg

Edited by Keith

A thing you might add: in the beginning I really had trouble making speed. (I had to learn without walls so always starting from standstill). I would get on the wheel, riding at 2mph and impossible to go faster until I had to bail out. What you say about bending over absolutely makes sense, but the trick for me was to push my hips forward if I wanted to go faster. That automatically pushes all your weight to the front of the pedals. Otherwise I would just be bending over and of course nothing would happen.

13 hours ago, The Wizard said:

I can not hardly believe anyone suggests any other way than learning on a SHOPPING CART !!!

Awesome idea.   I would feel like an idiot learning at the grocery store parking lot though :P    I added your comment to the OP.   Maybe I'll try it out on the next person I teach.

3 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

the trick for me was to push my hips forward

Yes, good tip... I've added it to the OP.  

8 hours ago, novazeus said:

i didn’t have anybody to help me. i did try a rolling walker but did not like it. 

I edited a little bit talking about using a fence or rail.   I completely forgot about learning by yourself (that's what I did as well)

On 6/18/2018 at 6:55 PM, The Wizard said:

Elbows on at first. Then straightn up and just use hands. 

Not just to fastest and easiest way on earth. But also the SAFEST.

It saves you from crashing and falling over 9 million times scraping up and damaging it. 

You never fall or twist your ankles because the CART supports or catches you.

You gradually stand up straight and then let go for longer and longer times. The CART traveling right along head of you, ready to grab at any instant.

You simply push the CART around for less than a mile. Then while riding along the CART will suddenly drift left and ya just keep going straight.

I just kept going for 5 miles on my 3rd let go.

I've thought 6 people to ride this way.

I like the ideas presented here and by Novazeus, and I think I will try them out on my GF.

Great article with great links.  These helped me a lot on my KS18s, but I think it's missing one probably obvious piece.

I think I could have learned the basics in an hour or two if I didn't watch this video that argued that you shouldn't be squeezing your knees in when riding.  Once I squeezed and gripped the euc, i was able to get going a lot more than 5ft. 

On 6/19/2018 at 7:33 AM, novazeus said:

i’m gonna start practicing backwards and pendulums inside the boards soon.

I've started practicing them as well, but I feel that it's quite important to have ample space in order to learn to make proper corrections. I'd get out of the rectangle as soon as possible.

I have yet to find tips worth sharing, but most of the times I can already go forward, stop, 10' backwards, stop, and continue forward without touching ground.

Practicing is physically very hard though! I push immediate sweat on my mc gear for all the crouching to catch the wheel, dismounts and mounts.