Is it possible to put a seat on the ks18l?

joku

I'm new to EUC and I see a lot of people wanting 1600wh batteries. I'm curious as to why 1000wh isn't good enough for a lot of you. I don't want a taller she'll, like the 18s, because it looks ugly and big. I actually think the msuper looks better and would like to keep it fairly low with a seat

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, joku said:

I'm new to EUC and I see a lot of people wanting 1600wh batteries. I'm curious as to why 1000wh isn't good enough for a lot of you. I don't want a taller she'll, like the 18s, because it looks ugly and big. I actually think the msuper looks better and would like to keep it fairly low with a seat

I wanna go far and I wanna go fast :D

• Like 1

I think someone mentioned earlier about using the MSuper X as a seated EUC and I feel both the 18L and the X would leave you way too close to the ground to be in any way comfortable.  

Get a Monster or 18S if you want to ride seated.  I've found I haven't been riding seated as often as I may have expected because of the inconvenience of bringing the seat along.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, joku said:

I'm new to EUC and I see a lot of people wanting 1600wh batteries. I'm curious as to why 1000wh isn't good enough for a lot of you.

It's very hard to imagine how and what for you will end up using the EUC. Once you get to feel the speed, it's easy to get addicted, and you will soon go past speeds you swore you'd never even try.

Distance alike is something that an EUC takes differently to any other form of transportation. I was originally amazed by the 14km (9 mi) I could go on my first wheel. Now 14km takes me about 35 minutes. Once your shoes and posture is in order, you can ride for an hour without a break. Take a 2 hour trip with a break and you're already at 45-50km.

• I live 12km away from the capital centre, where I meet with my brother or other riders weekly. To avoid using other transportation, I need to have atleast 24km more range to what I wish to ride with once I get to the centre.
  • The battery lasts a lot longer if you don't go from 100% to 0% every time.
  • The available power and top speed gets lower with the battery. That makes the last third of the charge less fun, last 5th being downright painful.
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, joku said:

I'm in a minority in believing that the bigger battery designs often start to take away from what makes an EUC great and uniquely valuable as an electric transport device.  The people that want to do 40km trips in one go would often be better served with an e-bike from a practical standpoint.  Sure, if you enjoy riding EUCs, go for the big battery and do long distances, but I actually like that it seems like companies aren't going above 1000wh. 

I feel practicality is what should drive the wider adoption and development of EUCs and the enthusiast market can take away from that.  What makes EUCs practical is usually 5-10km trips at a time.   I like my 18S better than my V8, but if I could only have one, I'd probably keep the V8.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, mezzanine said:

I'm in a minority in believing that the bigger battery designs often start to take away from what makes an EUC great and uniquely valuable as an electric transport device.  The people that want to do 40km trips in one go would often be better served with an e-bike from a practical standpoint.  Sure, if you enjoy riding EUCs, go for the big battery and do long distances, but I actually like that it seems like companies aren't going above 1000wh. 

I feel practicality is what should drive the wider adoption and development of EUCs and the enthusiast market can take away from that.  What makes EUCs practical is usually 5-10km trips at a time.   I like my 18S better than my V8, but if I could only have one, I'd probably keep the V8.  

I understand your sentiments. I think compactness is probably the greatest appeal to the commuter/last miler. At one time I thought a V8, which is only a moderate upgrade from a 9B1 E+ would be all I would need. It was about the same size with a little more power and range. Then the "diamond bullet" hit me about the fear of cutoff. Unlike any other PEV, the lost of or insufficient power on a euc can be extremely hazardous to one's health. The bigger the battery and motor the less likely one is going to have a problem with those two factors. The varied and not always friendly terrain over which I ride has steered me to wanting a 18" wheel. So after being attracted to the extremely compact and portability of 9B1 E+, I will end up with a 46 lb behemoth (relatively speaking). Such is life.

Edited by Jerome
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

EUCs are uniquely valuable for several different scenarios, none of which take anything away from the other. I hate 14" EUCs, but I'm well aware that they have their place, for example. i5, Mten, Tesla, 18S, and Monster are very different kinds of wheels, none of which could replace the other.

Is that your professional assesment? :P I'm sorry, but that's such a pointless thing to say. From a practical standpoint we should all live in large communes and no-one should own a car.

For some the EUC might be a "practical standpoint". For others it is something else. The others definitely should not switch to an e-bike. Mind you, many of them aren't physically or otherwise able to do so even if they wanted to.

1. Why do you like less variety? Does it somehow disturb you personally?
  2. Is wider adoption of EUC needed, or even beneficial? That is something that actually would definitely take away a lot of what we currently have regarding top speed and motor power.
  3. How does a bigger battery option take away anything from anything?

My reaction to your post might well be unfounded, but to me it reads as if you fail to see the need for variety that doesn't fit your personal needs. That sounds very narrow minded. I hope I understood your post the wrong way.

My argument is that different vehicles have different ideal uses.  An RV is a good vehicle to do a cross-country trip.  Do you think EUC companies should start factoring in the couple people that might want to do cross-country trips on their EUCs, perhaps giving them a 10000wh battery and engine capable of highway driving?  

I believe EUCs are uniquely valuable because of their low weight, ability to be taken indoors, compact size, etc... my argument is that when you get far away from those advantages, you lose what makes them uniquely valuable.  The Gotway Monster is a good example.  I'm glad it's on the market.  I've considered buying one. 

Do I wish Ninebot and King Song had released a competitor for the Monster instead of the 18L and Z series?  No, because the Monster is a niche wheel that starts to get away from what makes EUCs uniquely valuable.  Instead, they're trying to cater to 90% of users that don't do 60km trips and make a better wheel for the majority of buyers, which is how markets work.  My argument is that going by what a small group of enthusiasts want in a wheel isn't a reliable indicator, but the type of person likely to be posting constantly on an EUC message board may not be the average buyer.   

You definitely could use some work on your reading comprehension, but I recognize you're posting from Finland and you're not a native english speaker.  Pretty weird that you would try to get personal, but message boards tend to select for folks with social issues.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Keith said:

I’m in absolute agreement with @mezzanine With the legal stupidity in the U.K. it would be so much less hassle to get an eBike and be able to ride without fear of persecution.  

However I hadn’t used my peddle bike in more than 10 years as it was way too much hassle to keep extracting it from the garden shed which was the only place for it. More to the point, taking a bike on the train, even where allowed is a right pain in the backside and an eBike is every bit as bad. My EUC sits in a corner in the house ready to grab and go at any time and can be taken on the bus or train with no hassle at all ready to be used for last mile or popping to the shops. It not only replaces journeys I would do in the car but often is quicker. Nothing else, except possibly a small folding eScooter (also illegal in the U.K.) comes close. Something too big and heavy to easily carry would be no use to me at all.

That is not to say I don’t read @Marty Backe‘s adventures with great interest and enjoyment and would absolutely love to join one of them. However IMHO it isn’t intrepid treks in the mountains that are the mainstream future of EUC’s;  in this environment they are competing with such things as off road eBikes which are likely to have much higher mass appeal.

The uncertain future legal status of EUCs drives me absolutely nuts because of how uniquely practical they are for city use.  I'm especially annoyed at how little appreciation there is for how much control a rider has at low speeds in and among pedestrians.  I believe EUCs are much safer than a bicycle among pedestrians, but there isn't any acknowledgement of that right now.   We can ride under control at walking speed with very little danger to those around us.  There are specific uses that EUCs provide that other types of electric vehicles can't easily replicate. 

I was really excited for the Z series because I thought it would be an improvement in EUC safety.  No one else cared about potential safety improvements; they only want a wheel that will go 100km/h, and they don't seem to be able to step back enough to realize that they might not be the average buyer.  I mean, I hope that someone will release a one-wheel motorcycle to satisfy those folks, but I sure hope it doesn't have the effect of making my 16" city wheel illegal as a result.     

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, kasenutty said:

I hope there is a taller shell version with a seat and more batteries coming. That's what I really want. An 18L in the 18s form factor with 1600+ of batteries. 

All they'd need to do is put the new electronics in the 18S. But I guess that's to simple...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, joku said:

So is there any good reason a seat can't be added to to the ks18l?

Nope... I think you could add a seat to almost any EUC.   

I think this might be more comfortable on the v10f because you could tilt the peddles way forward in the app to help accommodate for the seated position and your ankles.

8 minutes ago, joku said:

So is there any good reason a seat can't be added to to the ks18l?

Better question would be: is there anyone who would enjoy riding an 18L with a seat for more than 30 seconds?

I doubt it, unless you're 4 feet tall.  

42 minutes ago, mezzanine said:

Better question would be: is there anyone who would enjoy riding an 18L with a seat for more than 30 seconds?

I doubt it, unless you're 4 feet tall.  

Absolutely not true. There happen to be many people who enjoy sitting on 16 and 18 inch wheels and they aren't 4-feet tall. You need to get out more ;)

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Absolutely not true. There happen to be many people who enjoy sitting on 16 and 18 inch wheels and they aren't 4-feet tall. You need to get out more ;)

Tonnes of tall riders enjoy seated riding on 16" wheels.  Uh-huh.  

LOL

• Like 1

The v10f is about 23" tall to the top.   Add 3 inches of seat foam and your a little taller (after it squishes a little) than a standard 24" high bar stool.  24" bar stools usually have horizontal rails to put your feet on about 4-6" above the ground.   Seems like it would be sitting on it would be about the same... except your moving 20mph :) and hopefully not drinking a beer.

I think the 18l and v10f are kinda the same height, 18l a little taller maybe?

50 minutes ago, Adumb said:

I'm 6' 5" and just recently tried sitting to ride my ACM2 after seeing my daughter do it. I did it sure but it was insanely uncomfortable and I no doubt looked like an idiot haha. 

No.  If you got out more, you'd learn that you enjoy riding a 16" wheel seated and it's very comfortable. 

Most folks who own 16" wheels spend a lot of time riding seated because of how comfortable it is.  

:efee8319ab:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mezzanine said:

Tonnes of tall riders enjoy seated riding on 16" wheels.  Uh-huh.  

LOL

You said, "I doubt it, unless you're 4 feet tall."

I know one rider who is probably ~5'8" and regularly rides his ACM while seated. That's quite a bit taller than 4'. I've seen others (Chooch comes to mind, as one example) online do it regularly. I never said Tall People, which is a term generally applied to people over 6-feet tall.

So certainly sitting on the 18L will be enjoyed by many people.

• Like 1