The Anti-Theft Thread

On 6/26/2018 at 1:06 AM, ir_fuel said:

That's the USA.

As I posted before, in Belgium you are out of luck in that case. 

Good for you anyway! I wish it was more like that over here.

I once had an ebike stolen and I asked police if they would help me get it back if I could tell them where to go. They said they can give assistance in situations like that. I would give the body ID and I guess at first stage they could simply go and ring the doorbell and ask to take a look at the bike and about its origins (like to present a receipt with body number). Before this one would need evidence that the item is actually in the suspect's possession like pic of him riding it. Never found my screaming red Turbo. And there aren't many around.

About tracking: how about getting a cheap old iphone like 4 and putting a prepaid sim card in (5€ here with 10€ talk time included), connecting to usb for charging and using e.g. sugru to mount it to the body and then just use find my iphone for tracking. No monthly fees. Although I am not sure the wheels have free space inside to fit such a brick. And Z10 does not have a USB-port.

Addition: it is worth carving some sort of identifier e.g. inside the cover and taking the manufacturing number and record it somewhere. That way you can when needed prove that the item is yours.

Btw, regarding my Spesialized, I got compensated 2500€ (max) from home insurance when I had bought it for 3000€ two years earlier. So getting a home insurance is something to consider to get at least part of your money back in case your wheel gets stolen.

Edited by Ziiten
  • Like 2

GPS is interesting, my portable tool box trolley at work is worth a lot more than any EUC and finally complete so a Dantracker is most def going into it in  a near future

The one thing that worries me in Sweden atm is the insane political correctness and what if it end up in one of our lovely suburbs, the police do not like to go there, it's the wild west in some regards as some TV teams from for ex Australia and EU have experienced when visiting.

But elsewhere it could work, I wonder if insurance company is willing to talk premiums if GPS is installed and the wheel can be tracked? :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Electroman said:

The one thing that worries me in Sweden atm is the insane political correctness and what if it end up in one of our lovely suburbs, the police do not like to go there, it's the wild west in some regards as some TV teams from for ex Australia and EU have experienced when visiting.

But elsewhere it could work, I wonder if insurance company is willing to talk premiums if GPS is installed and the wheel can be tracked? :)

I don't think police cares about the neighborhood social status, if there's a crime being committed they go in.

As for insurance companies they are usually quite unwilling to react to any unofficial improvements in security.

Edited by Ziiten

I use my EUC to get around town after parking my van in a free parking remote location. I have not been too worried about leaving the wheel in the van. ( back cargo area has one side window that was tinted and now painted black on the inside)  The problem is that now too many curious people have watched me put the wheel in the van on the not so good side or town. I guess I need to lock it to the van and screw plywood to the inside of the painted window.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, Ziiten said:

I don't think police cares about the neighborhood social status, if there's a crime being committed they go in.

As for insurance companies they are usually quite unwilling to react to any unofficial improvements in security.

Yes this most def how it should work and how it used to work, sadly I have lived in Akalla/Husby as well as in Rinkeby for many years where the Australian 60 minutes team got assaulted and can tell you it is not how it work these days, that time is gone now. I was there in the flesh a few years ago when the kids where torching car after car (some 50-60 in total that night I think but don't quote me on that) and did all kinds of crazy stuff in front of the police in Akalla and I saw no arrests but police where there at least there, although at a slight distance.

The politicians (and media) just will not call this out for what it is, it's partly their mess after all, Expressen is normally a terrible paper imho but even them wrote about our police chief who just cannot seam to speak any hard truth:

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/638650/Outrage-as-police-chief-shows-sympathy-for-migrant-who-killed-refugee-centre-worker

This is just one example of stupidity from out police, politicians the speak like this and worse all the time.

There is barely any white Swedes living here anymore but those who do also grow up wrong for most part so don't think I am pointing a specific color I am not, it is the mentality and culture in these neighborhoods and we needed some real cleaning up a long time ago and stop segregation, there is no integration going on Rinkeby is more little Somalia now and as of late we started hearing about discussions about prohibiting woman to enter certain cafes/restaurants without a scarf on their head.

The time is long gone when these neighborhoods where a bit rough and a knife fight every now and then, this is not your dads rough neighborhood anymore lots have changed. Have got any idea how many killings go on in certain neighborhoods over last few years? In Malmö I think it's even worse but cannot speak for it since not been living there and seen it myself but they shoot each other constantly now, throw hand grenades into apartments and even police etc, it is a mess so no police is not going in too often and do not expect them to make a swat move for a stolen EUC to be honest.

Trust me, it's bad! If Finland somehow managed to not end up here I am very glad for your law abiding citizens, if so you are on the right path.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Electroman said:

Yes this most def how it should work and how it used to work, sadly I have lived in Akalla/Husby as well as in Rinkeby for many years where the Australian 60 minutes team got assaulted and can tell you it is not how it work these days, that time is gone now. I was there in the flesh a few years ago when the kids where torching car after car (some 50-60 in total that night I think but don't quote me on that) and did all kinds of crazy stuff in front of the police in Akalla and I saw no arrests but police where there at least there, although at a slight distance.

The politicians (and media) just will not call this out for what it is, it's partly their mess after all, Expressen is normally a terrible paper imho but even them wrote about our police chief who just cannot seam to speak any hard truth:

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/638650/Outrage-as-police-chief-shows-sympathy-for-migrant-who-killed-refugee-centre-worker

This is just one example of stupidity from out police, politicians the speak like this and worse all the time.

There is barely any white Swedes living here anymore but those who do also grow up wrong for most part so don't think I am pointing a specific color I am not, it is the mentality and culture in these neighborhoods and we needed some real cleaning up a long time ago and stop segregation, there is no integration going on Rinkeby is more little Somalia now and as of late we started hearing about discussions about prohibiting woman to enter certain cafes/restaurants without a scarf on their head.

The time is long gone when these neighborhoods where a bit rough and a knife fight every now and then, this is not your dads rough neighborhood anymore lots have changed. Have got any idea how many killings go on in certain neighborhoods over last few years? In Malmö I think it's even worse but cannot speak for it since not been living there and seen it myself but they shoot each other constantly now, throw hand grenades into apartments and even police etc, it is a mess so no police is not going in too often and do not expect them to make a swat move for a stolen EUC to be honest.

Trust me, it's bad! If Finland somehow managed to not end up here I am very glad for your law abiding citizens, if so you are on the right path.

Now that you mentioned the car burnings I remember reading a newspaper article where they interviewed some local policemen who were concerned for their safety in that area. You're right, if burning four-wheelers barely get their attention, a missing one-wheeler toy probably will not. I guess the situation there is the result of Sweden's liberal immigration politics back in the days combined with unsuccessful integration. We're not quite there yet.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Electroman said:

If Finland somehow managed to not end up here I am very glad for your law abiding citizens

Perhaps a little off topic but as a Swede (immigrant) born and raised in the suburbs of Stockholm I can only agree with your post, our politicians are destroying this country quickly. These No-Go-Zones have increased dramatically from being near 0 during the 90´s. Its pathetic and shameful, but its a completely other discussion that would need its own thread. 

Its one month left to the elections, dont vote for any of the lame parties that are responsible for this horrible segregation, I sure wont. :)

Other than that, I would never flash my expensive stuff in the wrong neighbourhood, some streetsmarts probably help more than a gps or the police ever will.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Ziiten said:

Now that you mentioned the car burnings I remember reading a newspaper article where they interviewed some local policemen who were concerned for their safety in that area. You're right, if burning four-wheelers barely get their attention, a missing one-wheeler toy probably will not. I guess the situation there is the result of Sweden's liberal immigration politics back in the days combined with unsuccessful integration. We're not quite there yet.

Yes my friend, this is true but it keep getting worse and only some neighborhoods not Sweden i general. It' sad and glad to hear you are not there.

8 hours ago, sWiFt said:

Perhaps a little off topic but as a Swede (immigrant) born and raised in the suburbs of Stockholm I can only agree with your post, our politicians are destroying this country quickly. These No-Go-Zones have increased dramatically from being near 0 during the 90´s. Its pathetic and shameful, but its a completely other discussion that would need its own thread. 

Its one month left to the elections, dont vote for any of the lame parties that are responsible for this horrible segregation, I sure wont. :)

Other than that, I would never flash my expensive stuff in the wrong neighbourhood, some streetsmarts probably help more than a gps or the police ever will.

Agreed, I needed to reach Kista today a specific time so had to go through Husby and Akalla but I was on the MSX and and it was close to flat out hahaha, that was my streetsmarts to use speed trying to slip by without gaining too much attention. :lol:

Don't want to become one of these kids who who loose his bike, phone and wallet. Although on a serious note of course you are correct, took a longer more relaxing ride in Kallhäll after that with all errands done for the day and an amazing wheel to ride in the running tracks of the forest.

Yeah will put the OT on the shelf now, back to GPS business.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/20/2018 at 12:16 AM, ir_fuel said:

Theoretically someone could walk into your house, pick up your tv and walk outside, and if they don't cause you any harm or threaten you with weapons, the only thing you are legally allowed to do is call the police.

In France and Germany you are allowed to use physical force to temporarily arrest them (if they are inclined to flee the scene) until the police has taken their identity. Of course you cannot injure them for this purpose. I am kind-of surprised that this is different in Belgium.

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arrestation#France

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Festnahme#Jedermann-Festnahme

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mono said:

In France and Germany you are allowed to use physical force to temporarily arrest them (if they are inclined to flee the scene) until the police has taken their identity. Of course you cannot injure them for this purpose. I am kind-of surprised that this is different in Belgium.

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arrestation#France

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Festnahme#Jedermann-Festnahme

Yes, we have it in Sweden even and think it's in many countries, at least in the west but I don't know for sure, makes sense though.

https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Envarsgripande

I looked at citizen's arrest and seams like in quite a few countries in one shape or another.

• Upvote 1

I own a nice bicycle that rarely leaves my sight. Cycle, coffee, cycle home. I treat my EUC in the same way. Recently, I looked at Abus lite folding locks to secure my bike. 500gram. This lock may work on some EUCs. A motorcycle screaming alarm may stop some thieves. Most thieves are opportunistic so I keep shiny objects out of their sight. I once had a neighbor who was a thief. His garage was full of booty. The police only needed one tip to find him and return all the stolen items.

Has anyone tried putting extra insurance on their EUC? This might also help with property damage. Here in Australia, it’s best to read the fine print very very carefully. 

• 4 years later...
On 9/29/2022 at 11:55 AM, SUTIBOYD said:

Why not use finger print security at the on switch as an added security measure?

Depending on how you land on the pavement, you might have have any finger prints.

It is very difficult to prevent stuff from being stolen by someone if they really want it. The posts mentioning cables and locks are right in assuming it'll stop opportunists, but anybody with some tools and a way to get away easily will have no problems. Once stolen, you will have legal problems (even here in the US!) if force is used to get it back. GPS devices could work; both Apple and Samsung at least have tracking devices, and google says the battery typically lasts about a year. Based on this thread so far, it sounds like the best we can do is 1.) Be intentional with planning and keeping them out of sight. Hidden in a vehicle trunk or seat, a locker at work, behind something in a place it'd be hard to access without being noticed. Knowing most of what is coming for the day and trying to have a plan for times you can't have it with you. (Or maybe not bringing it with you some days, if possible and if the situation is risky enough. I know that isn't an option for some.) and 2.) Have some unique stuff on it to prove it's yours. Having serial number and proof of purchase is good, pictures of you on it with the setup it has, name and/or info sharpied or cut into the body inside and out perhaps, stickers, etc. and 3.) physical locks and deterrents. Between those three, you can say you've done most of what is possible to try to avoid being a target in the first place, deter opportunists, and set your stuff apart so that if it is ever found/put up for sale somewhere, the chances of law enforcement identifying and returning it are higher. 

I am not fortunate enough to own an EUC yet, so I can't speak from experience on this topic. Considering how much they cost, I feel like it makes sense for manufacturers to create some software and hardware options for riders to use if they choose. It sounds like some models DO have a lockdown mode via the phone app. Pin codes, phones unlock, or physical cards/keys all have their disadvantages, but should be possibilities in my opinion.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

gps is a great idea but not very accurate and screwee once the thief takes it inside anywhere.

how about a motion sensitive alarm we use to put on cars. a euc alarm system with a piercing siren. that would spwork for me. 

26 minutes ago, novazeus said:

how about a motion sensitive alarm we use to put on cars. a euc alarm system with a piercing siren. that would spwork for me. 

Bezos sells those, $15. I have a couple and they're LOUD

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Tawpie said:

Bezos sells those, $15. I have a couple and they're LOUD

pls hook me up with a link if u like them.

i'll never be on a single track mountain trail or climbing a mountain, the videos i'd like to see is a human using their euc for daily tasks like shopping and doctor's appts, and more seeing the other humans reactions to the euc's.

i've decided if i use mine for these tasks, i'm gonna keep the wheel with me and just hide it the best i can.

On 6/19/2018 at 11:07 AM, ir_fuel said:

I don't want to spoil the fun here, but what's the use?

Let me give you an analogy: these days it's quite easy to track down a stolen iPhone (Find My iPhone). I know countless stories in Belgium of people who had their phones stolen, could track them down to a specific building using Find My iPhone and the police simply refused to do anything about it (you can't just go bust into people's private property. You need a search warrant and they are not given lightly). 

So there you are with your GPS tracker, knowing where your stolen goods are. Now what? Call the Hell's Angels?

This excatly.

When going grocecy store shopping I usually put my 18XL on the shopping cart :) On the local gas station I leave the wheel in front of cashier and do my quick shopping.

Lols - bought back memories of Boxing day where I went to the biggest, furthest supermarket away I possibly could to get one thing of ham for the cat. Gotta ride, and any excuse will do...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, novazeus said:

pls hook me up with a link if u like them.

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Vibration-Security-Waterproof-Motorcycle/dp/B0B6R5TJM8/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2KR2I6JIIWD0D&keywords=Wsdcam+Bike+Alarm+with+Remote+2+Pack&qid=1672593299&s=electronics&sprefix=wsdcam+bike+alarm+with+remote+2+pack%2Celectronics%2C128&sr=1-5

They honk at you the first time you move them (when they're armed), then if you persist they go into car alarm mode... cycling through different alarm sequences. Probably easy enough to smash to get them to shut up, but enough to make a thief at least think for a second.

They are very sensitive though...

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1

If you really want to defeat the angle grinders, and break their discs, and any spares they may be carrying (they almost never are !) you want one of these LITELOK jobbies...

But even if I was prepared to throw 200 quid at the wall for one of those I'd still be worried that they'd nick my accessories / lights or damage my wheel either in the attempt, or out of frustration that they couldn't steal it, so I'm still not leaving mine anywhere !

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Cerbera said:

If you really want to defeat the angle grinders, and break their discs, and any spares they may be carrying (they almost never are !) you want one of these LITELOK jobbies...

But even if I was prepared to throw 200 quid at the wall for one of those I'd still be worried that they'd nick my accessories / lights or damage my wheel either in the attempt, or out of frustration that they couldn't steal it, so I'm still not leaving mine anywhere !

i'm going camo with a big cardboard box over it, still rideable and trolleyable.

be nice to have it foldable like a dashboard saver.

just anything to conceal it. if i buy that inmotion challenger v13 and ride it next door to the outlet mall, i'll be swarmed with questions. i know if i saw one and the guy looked approachable, i'd be asking questions, like in 2015 when i saw this guy get on an airwheel.

I carry a regular ol black garbage bag in my backpack. If I ever need urban camo I’m going to put it over my wheel and make it blend in to the background. Most people won’t look twice. I’d add a lock as well if I had to leave it for long. 🛞
Good for emergency waterproofing too. ⛈️

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

If we got jacked would our homeowner/renters insurance policy cover our loss? Is there any way to schedule theft insurance for a PEV? I like to do early AM rides downtown which often feels kind of sketch in my city, it's my biggest concern with these rides solo.