The Anti-Theft Thread

If you are concerned about theft of your wheel due to certain circumstances, you should consider getting a GPS tracker installed in your wheel. I've thought about this numerous times and I feel that since the cost of these wheels are rising as is the popularity, theft is an issue to be concerned with. I personally would not want a wheel of mine to get stolen and if it does I would want a means to recover it.

This thread is to promote among ourselves a way of aftermarket modding our wheels to protect ourselves against loss. Share ideas on how to securely lock, mod, or track your wheel in the event that you have to leave it unattended. 

I'd like to share with you guys this one I've recently found online that looks small enough to insert into the shell of a wheel. https://www.sherlock.bike/en/

• Like 3

I wonder if that Sherlock device will still work while it is charging...   If you can place that in the shell of a King Song with USB ports, you may be able to splice it into or somehow plug it into the USB ports internally.  Then you never have to worry about charging it.

Edited by squirt
  • Upvote 1

Big reason I bought an EUC is because of the ability to take them inside when I go places.  It's a built-in security measure that eliminates the need for locks and other security measures.  

I think the best security measure one can take is to simply not leave your wheel unattended.  Hopefully others will chime in with good suggestions for those that don't have that option, but my feeling is that you should try to avoid having to rely on anything that can be defeated by an enterprising criminal.  They usually win that game.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

That Sherlock.bike looks promising!  It's interesting how it comes with two years of prepaid internet connectivity.  I take that it must be some sort of cell internet to allow it to keep in contact with the app.  I wonder how accurate it is in terms of specific location.  Maybe +/- 10 metres?

There's several GPS trackers on Amazon as well,  but some require a sim card to call home.  Hopefully we'll see more people using these in their wheels to help protect that large investment!

Well @Hunka Hunka Burning Love on the website it does say accurate to 5 meters. What my biggest concern is size. A lot of GPS trackers I've seen are really large. This is the smallest one with a little flexibility. There has to be multiple places you can stuff this thing. But removability to charge it would be a factor.

• Like 1

Maybe epoxy it inside with the charging cable attached and the other end attached to a USB extender:

https://www.amazon.ca/AmazonBasics-Extension-Cable-Male-Female/dp/B00NH11R3I

Cut a small notch at the side of a panel to slide the cable near the front.  When needed pull the plug out and connect to the charging port on low battery.  Retract the cord by pushing it back into the shell.  Attach a small Velcro circle to the USB connector to keep it flush to the shell.

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love

I don't want to spoil the fun here, but what's the use?

Let me give you an analogy: these days it's quite easy to track down a stolen iPhone (Find My iPhone). I know countless stories in Belgium of people who had their phones stolen, could track them down to a specific building using Find My iPhone and the police simply refused to do anything about it (you can't just go bust into people's private property. You need a search warrant and they are not given lightly). 

So there you are with your GPS tracker, knowing where your stolen goods are. Now what? Call the Hell's Angels?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

The police may not help, but for sure you could gather up a bunch of your buddies and knock on the door, and if they lie saying they don't know what youre talking about, have some good ol fisticuff. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Esper said:

The police may not help, but for sure you could gather up a bunch of your buddies and knock on the door, and if they lie saying they don't know what youre talking about, have some good ol fisticuff. 

I guess I have the "wrong" buddies then. Nobody of my friends would risk a criminal record for getting some goods back.

Then again, this isn't the USA. We are not allowed to use violence unless we are threatened personally. Protecting belongings is not an excuse (yes, really ...). Theoretically someone could walk into your house, pick up your tv and walk outside, and if they don't cause you any harm or threaten you with weapons, the only thing you are legally allowed to do is call the police. 

If in the above example you would decide to hit him on the head with a frying pan (remember, no guns here ;) ), he could sue you ... and win it.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

Theoretically someone could walk into your house, pick up your tv and walk outside, and if they don't cause you any harm or threaten you with weapons, the only thing you are legally allowed to do is call the police. 

In the US.  If we were not allowed to shoot an intruder, intruders would just mysteriously disappear.   

• Like 1

It looks like most GPS trackers either have a large one time fee (tracking for 2-5 years) or a monthly fee. ($24-$49)

It would almost be easier to drop a cheap phone in it.  An extra line would only cost me $10 a month.  just rig it up to charge all the time and reset it once a month. 

"Your wheel is ringing!"    

"What? ..... Damn telemarketers!"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andee said:

Can someone clarify a scenario which you would need extra theft protection?

Did you mean, 'Can someone give an example for when you might need theft protection?'

If that is the case. Any time you leave your wheel unattended. If you go into a store and it is in your car. Or if it's in your car in a parking garage. Perhaps like the time in california where a young woman was knocked off of hers and the wheel was picked up and taken as they drove away?

What is wrong with having a gps tracker on a piece of equipment that could cost over $2000 USD? Would you rather say 'Eh, whatever" or attempt to get it back in the case of it being taken?

I've worked retail enough to know that a camera watching isn't going to deter a thief. A GPS locator would save you a lot of money buying a new one if it is stolen. Maybe you are in a place where it wouldn't happen, but you for sure would want one if it does.

1 hour ago, Esper said:

I've worked retail enough to know that a camera watching isn't going to deter a thief. A GPS locator would save you a lot of money buying a new one if it is stolen. Maybe you are in a place where it wouldn't happen, but you for sure would want one if it does.

Only if you have to courage to go and get it back. Usually people who steal stuff have got less to lose than you and I.

Otherwise it won't help a thing if a thief doesn't know there is one in there. Catch 22: you signal it on the device and they can disable it. You don't and it gets stolen anyway because they don't know it can be tracked.

1 minute ago, ir_fuel said:

Only if you have to courage to go and get it back. Usually people who steal stuff have got less to lose than you and I.

Otherwise it won't help a thing if a thief doesn't know there is one in there. Catch 22: you signal it on the device and they can disable it. You don't and it gets stolen anyway because they don't know it can be tracked.

I suppose you're right about that. If you are a person that doesn't care if its stolen, or if it is stolen and wont do anything about it, then this means of anti-theft would not be for you.

In alternative methods, like chaining the device to a pole. If someone is determined enough, they can get through any means of anti-theft device we put on it. But there becomes a point at which the theft protection becomes too much for the cost of the wheel. But for some people, including myself, the cost of 100-200 dollars to put a tracker on something worth 2000+ is worth it. I would rather get my stuff back (or attempt to) than give up without trying.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

I think it depends on your location.  Five years ago a crack head broke into my Company Van and gathered a duffle bag worth of things.  One thing they got was a PDA (CN50) Windows phone.  The Sheriff’s department sent a deputy to take a report.  By the time he got there ( 45 minutes) I was able to track the PDA and give him an address.  He left and came back an hour later with all my stuff.  

• Like 1

Just now, RockyTop said:

I think it depends on your location.  Five years ago a crack head broke into my Company Van and gathered a duffle bag worth of things.  One thing they got was a PDA (CN50) Windows phone.  The Sheriff’s department sent a deputy to take a report.  By the time he got there ( 45 minutes) I was able to track the PDA and give him an address.  He left and came back an hour later with all my stuff.  

That's the USA.

As I posted before, in Belgium you are out of luck in that case. 

Good for you anyway! I wish it was more like that over here.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Esper said:

Did you mean, 'Can someone give an example for when you might need theft protection?'

If that is the case. Any time you leave your wheel unattended. If you go into a store and it is in your car. Or if it's in your car in a parking garage. Perhaps like the time in california where a young woman was knocked off of hers and the wheel was picked up and taken as they drove away?
What is wrong with having a gps tracker on a piece of equipment that could cost over $2000 USD? Would you rather say 'Eh, whatever" or attempt to get it back in the case of it being taken?

Thanks for the clarification. I was just wondering, since I could not think of a situation like that.
I only leave it unattended it at my office desk, which is surrounded by people and security cameras.

Im near SF, so if its stolen from my car... its probably half way to china or something along with the phones.

nothing is wrong with adding a gps to your stuff... just unsure if it would help.

Edited by Andee

10 hours ago, Esper said:

In alternative methods, like chaining the device to a pole. If someone is determined enough, they can get through any means of anti-theft device we put on it. But there becomes a point at which the theft protection becomes too much for the cost of the wheel.

That's exactly the key... If someone really wants it, consider it gone. But securing your wheel is a fantastic deterrent for the "opportunist thief" who happened to be passing and might make the most of the situation.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I threw a Tile locator in each of mine just as a precaution. I recently had my E+ stolen when I foolishly forgot to disable it first through the phone app.

Tile is not a GPS locator, but it is compact enough to fit inside and offers some amount of location services without the monthly fee. They only last for a year, but if a fellow Tile user is near your device, you will get a notification of reported location when lost.

At $10 a piece, why not?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Daniel Burkemper said:

I threw a Tile locator in each of mine just as a precaution. I recently had my E+ stolen when I foolishly forgot to disable it first through the phone app.

Tile is not a GPS locator, but it is compact enough to fit inside and offers some amount of location services without the monthly fee. They only last for a year, but if a fellow Tile user is near your device, you will get a notification of reported location when lost.

At $10 a piece, why not?

And did your tile help you find your E+?