KS18L Unboxing, Unlock & Impression

Henrik Olsen

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice initial review.

Is this wheel still meant to be bi-directional like all other KS wheels? I have to say I dislike the elephant ear mud guard. It seems cheap and tacky. Does it not foul the wheel when riding backwards. Despite it's apparent heavy weight I would be a little concerned about it being dragged up into the wheel and causing a fall if ridden backwards.

The wheel still looks ascetically unbalanced with the speakers and light crammed out on the edges, tiny pads up top, and nothing in the middle. Black seems to reduce that by blending everything together a bit more.

1 hour ago, WARPed1701D said:

I would be a little concerned about it being dragged up into the wheel and causing a fall if ridden backwards.

If you think about it a bit more, if you ride backwards the ”nutsack” is being pulled downwards by the tire. It’s riding forward that you should be more worried about. But being just a soft rubber flap attached with two tiny screws, I’m pretty sure the 2000W motor wouldn’t even notice.

Nice first impressions video, thank you!

1 minute ago, kasenutty said:

Funny about different strokes, I think it looks awesome. Better than I thought it would, while Warped thinks it looks bad. Everyone's taste varies so much :D

I like it more than I did initially when the first renders came out but the edges just seem too cramped. The black color improves things a lot. I actually think I still prefer the look of the 18S. I hope they don't ditch that for factor.

10 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

If you think about a bit more, if you ride backwards the ”nutsack” is being pulled downwards by the tire. It’s riding forward that you should be more worried about. But being just a soft rubber flap attached with two tiny screws, I’m pretty sure the 2000W motor wouldn’t even notice.

Nice first impressions video, thank you!

Doh! Quite right about rotation. It's still an ugly solution though. Nutsack! ? You are right. It reminds me of those weighted rubber ball bags you can buy to hang from your trailer hitch.

29 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

I like it more than I did initially when the first renders came out but the edges just seem too cramped. The black color improves things a lot. I actually think I still prefer the look of the 18S. I hope they don't ditch that for factor.

I didn't really give KS credit for the thought that went into the 18S form factor.  A lot of folks assume that the design is inefficient because the shell is large; I've read posters suggest that they were re-purposing some motorcycle shell to save money and that it's not suited to a modern EUC, for example.  Having owned it for a while now, I believe they made a conscious choice to orient the batteries/weight vertically.  The 18S is the one wheel that you can ride one-legged without any practice.  

Thanks for the video. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The KS18S with its "alien head and face" is fugly to me. The KS18L is gorgeous. Looks alone, however, would never be the determining factor for me. It is an 18 inch wheel, has high pedals, nice trolley, great power and sufficient battery for me and appears to have traditional King Song build quality. The Z10 is intriguing, but I am not going to wait until August for it. The MSX is another brute and performance leader from Gotway, but more than I need and very unattractive in terms of the form and build quality look. If I had the extra money the MCM5 would be my Gotway of choice along with the KS18L. Some people will want more battery than the KS18L and refuse to go with Gotway, so there will probably continue to be a KS18S for awhile. Most pontiff think the KS16S will be obliterated by the V10, Tesla, and ACMV2. I am not so sure, especially if King Song lowers the price.

15 minutes ago, wheelr said:

Where did you order yours from?

I am not allowed to tell. But It is known as an official European Kingsong importer. I already made a preorder in April there (never thought that it will come in June) and finally I got the good news. ;)

3 minutes ago, da_toni said:

I am not allowed to tell. But It is known as an official European Kingsong importer. I already made a preorder in April there (never thought that it will come in June) and finally I got the the good news. ;)

That's sweet. Enjoy your new wheel.

It sounds exactly like my V10F! I wonder if they both have sourced the same 2000W motor? 

Interesting to see it like this. On this video it looks familiar to me. Similar weight, size, height, motor, battery, tire width and specs. The pads seem to be about the same height from the pedals and it also has a quite narrow body. Pedals are about as high also. 

Differences are mainly in tire diameter and placement of batteries. And of course probably mostly in software. Very interesting to see more people getting to ride for a bit longer time. The 18L looked too big to me previously but now I’m used to it. Especially the black one looks good. Probably a great wheel. I hope to ride one someday. 

Great video, can’t wait to see the next one! 

16 hours ago, WARPed1701D said:

My first 18L has been ordered in matte black... Which I think will be quite a nice look.

Of course, I won't be anywhere near as excited as @Henrik Olsen when I get mine - such a disgusting exhibition of unrestrained excitement!   :facepalm:

1 hour ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

My first 18L has been ordered in matte black... Which I think will be quite a nice look.

Of course, I won't be anywhere near as excited as @Henrik Olsen when I get mine - such a disgusting exhibition of unrestrained excitement!   :facepalm:

Sorry ?

1 hour ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Hah, it's cute seeing him so happy like that. 

37 minutes ago, Henrik Olsen said:

Sorry ?

Weĺl as I wrote in you q & a thred..no need to be sorry.

I think it is perfectly alright to show enthusiasm and excitement. At least it it not "DDR" dull to watch ? I am pressure you know what I mean @Henrik Olsen

I have seen some of your other vids and it is just in line of your style. Which to me makes it great. I prefer personality to show out rather that all look the same.

That is why I also think @houseofjob z10 review is great. It is different and thank God it is the same vid every person makes.

Thank you both for sharing your views.

20 hours ago, WARPed1701D said:

Doh! Quite right about rotation. It's still an ugly solution though. Nutsack! ? You are right. It reminds me of those weighted rubber ball bags you can buy to hang from your trailer hitch.

Well I think of it this way. They wanted a practical wheel.  It look like is does nothing more or less ( @houseofjob style comment ?).

At least KS had the balls to make it. So people have to make their own. However...since if is attached by 2 screws you could remove it..or ever swap it to something you like better...just waiting for a @Rehab1-mod to appear ?

So to is it a deal breaker...far from. It is a solution that create options which I like.

Now on the question about being omnidirectional like previous models...

I am under the impression that KS made front and rear light better and in the process dropped the omnidirectional lights. To me that is a right design choice...As I doubt I learn to go backwards anyway soon..And less likely to happen at dusk/nightfall. So is this anothe potential deal breaker? Nope it just makes sense to me....

But if you ridestyle is going 50kph backward at night ... well modding might be needed ?

23 hours ago, Henrik Olsen said:

I went to Copenhagen to pick up my brand new Kingsong KS18L Electric Unicycle. In this video, I unbox, unlock and share my first impression of KS18L after taking in on its first ride. 

I like very much your video. You are a very nice guy. 

Congratulations!!

Can you explain the tiltback in a bit more detail - I'm new. For how much of the battery can we go 50kmh? This issue might push me to get the msuper x instead.

1 hour ago, joku said:

Can you explain the tiltback in a bit more detail - I'm new. For how much of the battery can we go 50kmh? This issue might push me to get the msuper x instead.

From what I have learned know, it seems you need to ride at least 200km to unlock 50kph, otherwise, the top speed is 40kph. 

The tilt-back is forced when having 4 dots left (<67,7V) to 30kph, then down 20kph with 3 dots (<64,8V)and finally down to 15kph along with either beeping or "PLEASE CHARGE YOUR DEVICE" and finally makes the wheel tilt back hard making it unrideable. 

I will have a real-life range test up later this week where you can see it. 

47 minutes ago, Henrik Olsen said:

From what I have learned know, it seems you need to ride at least 200km to unlock 50kph, otherwise, the top speed is 40kph. 

I thought you could unlock it by locking in even without distance in the app...

Just now, that0n3guy said:

I thought you could unlock it by locking in even without distance.

As far as I gathered it is factory set to max 25kph can be unlocked directly to 40kph but after 200km you can unlock it to max meaning 50kph.

Makes sense to me. So you get a feel of the wheel before you go kill yourself and none can blame KS of your selfimpose actions. ?

38 minutes ago, Unventor said:

As far as I gathered it is factory set to max 25kph can be unlocked directly to 40kph but after 200km you can unlock it to max meaning 50kph.

Makes sense to me. So you get a feel of the wheel before you go kill yourself and none can blame KS of your selfimpose actions. ?

Correct, apart from it's locked for 20kph out of the box

@Henrik Olsen I know from your vids that you have a lot of KS wheels. Have you ever ridden a Inmotion V8?

If you an recall the dynamics/feel if the wheel how does the KS18L compare to that?

Archived