My 6-inch Miss From Becoming A Hood Ornament

Marty Backe

9 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

:blink:  Livestream next week.  LIVE.  LIIIIIIVVVVVEEEEUH.  :efee96588e:

Just put the reflective vest on, Marty.  Didn't my close miss give you some kinda omen?

http://www.dontgethit.com/rehawbe.html

Note to self - never ever loan Marty my Tesla.  :cry2:

*throws peanuts* That vest!

Edited by Kael
  • Like 2

I’ve had two near misses like this but not as bad. I managed to stop quick enough but the look from the cars pulling out of the parking lot was just as you described.  From the look on their face, it was  “What did I just miss?” going through their mind  also “I’m so sorry.” coming out of their mouth.  The first one was both our faults too because I wasn’t paying attention to driveways in a city that come from in between two buildings. The second one was entirely on them. But I was only doing 8 or 10 mph so I had time to stop.

Glad you’re okay. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Kael said:

*throws peanuts* That vest!

If reflective belts are good enough for the US Army :rolleyes:, it's good enough for EUC sports personalities.  Believe everything you read.  It's all true!  :whistling:

https://www.wearethemighty.com/articles/the-army-has-declassified-how-pt-belts-work

Okay fine fine.  They detract from the coolness factor for sure, and I probably wouldn't wear one myself.  But!  My jacket already has reflective pin-striping already so I'm already part way there.  These yellow reflective belts and vests are better though at making us more visible to drivers.  They aren't going to bend time and space when zipping too quickly towards road entrances so slow down, shoulder check or mirror check and expect that cars won't expect a single rider zooming across their path.

The problem with the Tesla is that you tend to go way too fast at every opportunity you can get.  It is truly like a mini sports car that zips you around.  It's not crazy heavy, and it's small enough to be very nimble.  I've been trying to ride slower on sidewalks and use more caution while looking for unexpected pedestrians and vehicles coming around corners.  I also practice my emergency braking and avoidance maneuvers.  Defensive EUC riding will hopefully keep me and others safe!

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
  • Like 3

Wow - glad you're ok. Were you using the light? Unless it's dark I don't really use my light. I suppose using the flashing light during daylight rides would help with visibility. Seems like a cheap safety measure when riding with cars around.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, pattymac said:

Wow - glad you're ok. Were you using the light? Unless it's dark I don't really use my light. I suppose using the flashing light during daylight rides would help with visibility. Seems like a cheap safety measure when riding with cars around.

The main point in using lights (including the flashy decorative ones) is for other people to see you. I always try to have a least one blinking light on me when I'm riding out on the roads even if its daytime.

• Like 1

I had similar thing happening to me one week ago. My first real fall in a long time but nothing major happened. Luckily I had wrist guards on. A car came from a parking lot straight to the bike lane I was riding about 30 km/h. The driver rode the car there and then started to look if there are cars coming. The bike lane was along the bigger road. He just forgot that he needs to give way to bikes also. I didn’t have time to come to a complete stop and tried to snake it but failed. 

He probably just glanced quickly and thought I was a pedestrian far away. They’re not used to people standing upright and still going so fast. They’re automatically glancing for bikers. I’ve learned to just accept it. I always assume cars don’t see me. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Ha.. I thought this was a "fake link" (poking fun at Marty and Rehab1)... until I clicked on it.

I see the ugly harness has TFU’s seal of approval.  :laughbounce2:

42895496521_f5a8bfc3d3_b.jpg

• Like 2

On 6/17/2018 at 1:52 PM, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

If reflective belts are good enough for the US Army :rolleyes:, it's good enough for EUC sports personalities.  Believe everything you read.  It's all true!  :whistling:

I found this one, it looks great on me!

jGBNbKo.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

I see the ugly harness has TFU’s seal of approval.  :laughbounce2:

42895496521_f5a8bfc3d3_b.jpg

Yeah, but I'm not a big fan of Hi-Viz anything really - though some of the Urban Circus kit does look quite awesome.

I know it isn't an excuse or alternative, but as I personally block a lot of sunlight, I think I may be a little more visible than some.

Having said that, with my new stable of wheels about to start growing, and our days getting longer after tomorrow's solstice, perhaps I should look to stock (and sample/model) some of that Urban Circus apparel?

• Like 2

It's only in the last few years as I've been in my mid-thirties that I've come to realize how innately narcissistic we are as human beings.  I think a lot of folks would be surprised at just how "in their own world" most people are as they go about their daily lives.  It applies to driving, too.  Drivers can be 100% obviously at fault and they'll be incapable of perceiving that they were in any responsible if confronted about their violation of traffic law.  Technology has made things things way worse.  Everyone is the star of their own show and social media reinforces the narcissism in a terrible way.  I find it very disturbing and try to look at my own self to avoid falling into the same trap.  

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, mezzanine said:

It's only in the last few years as I've been in my mid-thirties that I've come to realize how innately narcissistic we are as human beings.  I think a lot of folks would be surprised at just how "in their own world" most people are as they go about their daily lives.  It applies to driving, too.  Drivers can be 100% obviously at fault and they'll be incapable of perceiving that they were in any responsible if confronted about their violation of traffic law.  Technology has made things things way worse.  Everyone is the star of their own show and social media reinforces the narcissism in a terrible way.  I find it very disturbing and try to look at my own self to avoid falling into the same trap.  

Wait 20 plus years (me) and try and imagine what you'll be thinking of humanity.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Wait 20 plus years (me) and try and imagine what you'll be thinking of humanity.

Not kidding, the thought scares me a bit.  The issue being that social media and tech isn't exactly going to stand still in the meantime, either.  We're accelerating towards an abyss, I fear.  The recent posts in the Photo thread being exhibit A.  

• Like 1

On 6/17/2018 at 12:18 AM, beast@tanagra said:

In the movie version, you will have been riding it. It will keep dancing, humming to a fever pitch. And on the other side of that barrier you will slow to a walk, without turning back, as your ACM explodes in a fireball, consuming the car and setting off nearby alarms.

BACKE: Damn. That was my favorite wheel.

FLICKS MTEN3 OUT OF HIS POCKET AND RIDES OFF TO SMOOTH SWING MUSIC

:w00t2:  You forgot the most important part!

[LOUD, FIERY EXPLOSION IS SEEN IN THE BACKGROUND COMING FROM THE CRASHED TESLA, BUT MARTY DOESN'T EVEN LOOK BACK (BECAUSE HE SEES IT ALL IN THE LITTLE HELMET MOUNTED REARVIEW MIRROR)]

[CUT TO SECOND CAMERA MEDIUM SHOT OF SEMI-CLAD BIKINI MODELS' HEADS TURNING, MOUTHS OPEN AS MARTY ROLLS BY NONCHALANTLY]

BACKE: No worries, I have many more wheels at home.  So many that I've lost count.  Talk to you guys later.

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1