Another Flat!

Tom D

Forth flat in about 5 weeks (KS-14D).  Sorry, this is a frustration post more than anything else.  Slime helped on two of the flats, but not the others and pretty sure Slime won't help today's either.  Was 10 minutes into a Sat morning ride tire just went flat.  Looks like a sharp twig went between the treads, right through tire and into tube.  I don't really ride off road...95% asphalt and concrete and I like my tire pressure between 50-55 PSI.  

Ok, rant over, back to wrenching on wheel and get this damn thing fixed again.

That's the Big Island, but I feel ya.  I wouldn't mind cruising about the Puna district (on the Big Island) with my wheel to get a closer look.  But, this damn thing just won't tire pressure for more than a few weeks at a time, so I'd probably be stuck with a flat tire by the flows.

Yeah, going to up the amount of slime to about a full 6 ounces for the 14D.  I've been using about 3-4, due to the size of the wheel.

I have a 14D and put a little over 4oz in it... I have not gotten a flat yet with 3 wheels but I am sure that good luck will not last forever... besides some extra weight I do not think it will hurt anything...

I have seen inner tubes for sale that are called puncture proof and self sealing... I just did a quick google search and found a 16x2.25 but no 14 initially... they may be available, just a thought but with enough slime should serve the same purpose

I just read a lot on Slime and competitors. What I learned is that there are two basic types:

• With latex (fe. Slime): Will dry up and need to be re-applied every 6-12 months. Will also go old, or be ruined by summer heat in the bottle. Can ruin your clothes if you are as messy as I am. Found comments that in a motorcycle tire the fix is a very temporary one, lasting from just a few hours to a few weeks.
  • Without latex (fe. Goop): Will last for the life of the tire, as they will not dry out. Washable with water, even from clothing. Some products succeed in fixing the hole for years.

I just ordered myself a bottle of Goop.

25 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

I just read a lot on Slime and competitors. What I learned is that there are two basic types:

• With latex (fe. Slime): Will dry up and need to be re-applied every 6-12 months. Will also go old, or be ruined by summer heat in the bottle. Can ruin your clothes if you are as messy as I am. Found comments that in a motorcycle tire the fix is a very temporary one, lasting from just a few hours to a few weeks.
  • Without latex (fe. Goop): Will last for the life of the tire, as they will not dry out. Washable with water, even from clothing. Some products succeed in fixing the hole for years.

I just ordered myself a bottle of Goop.

I've been using "Ride-ON" Tire sealant ATV Formula, I've bought at local Walmart years ago...  It does not dry out and still using it (32 oz).  I put it in everything I have that holds air... :cheers:

9 minutes ago, Mark Lee said:

I put it in everything I have that holds air... :cheers:

Dude, no! Not in your lungs!! :P

Ride-On seemed to be amongst the best. Unfortunately not reasonably available to Finland .

4 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

Dude, no! Not in your lungs!! :P

Ride-On seemed to be amongst the best. Unfortunately not reasonably available to Finland .

If I had a leak, I just may try, cheaper than the Hospital bill... Anymore, one Emergency room visit is a cost of a wheel even with Cadilac medical insurance... :facepalm:

Marvin,

I used the following YouTube video.  Although not in english, it is the most detailed.  Disassembly is not really that complicated and after you do it once, you won't need instructions again.  As a side note, sliding the wheel assembly out (and back in) is not as effortless as it appears in the video.  I used a well placed pry bar to help move the stiff plastic carriage up and away from wheel, otherwise damage to the wiring harness (on wheel) is too high...It is a very tight fit, as it should be.  The other PITA, was getting the tube and valve stem seated correctly.  With the tire partially removed from rim, there is not a lot of wiggle room to properly position the valve stem.  But, I'm getting good at this sh*t as I seem to be a flat magnet.  The other annoying problem I had was trying to find good (quality) double sided tape to reapply the leg pads.  Once you peel off the pads, the tape is not really re-usable and double sided Scotch Tape doesn't work!  I am exploring other options and looking for something stronger.  I like the paper/tape that KS used to apply the pads, but can't find anything similar on Amazon.

)

On 6/16/2018 at 4:13 PM, Tom D said:

Forth flat in about 5 weeks (KS-14D).  Sorry, this is a frustration post more than anything else.  Slime helped on two of the flats, but not the others and pretty sure Slime won't help today's either.  Was 10 minutes into a Sat morning ride tire just went flat.  Looks like a sharp twig went between the treads, right through tire and into tube.  I don't really ride off road...95% asphalt and concrete and I like my tire pressure between 50-55 PSI.  

Ok, rant over, back to wrenching on wheel and get this damn thing fixed again.

After thousands of miles in all kinds of trails I've only had one flat that wasn't fixed by Slime.

What tire pressure to do run your wheel at? I keep my 14S at ~65-psi.

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

After thousands of miles in all kinds of trails I've only had one flat that wasn't fixed by Slime.

But how many flats have you had that were fixed by slime?

1 hour ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

But how many flats have you had that were fixed by slime?

I'm pretty sure five for sure. Others I may not know about until I remove the tube (if ever).

2 hours ago, Gimlet said:

I use Oko tyre sealant in all my pneumatic wheels. I believe it is available in Finland via

http://www.foxcomp.fi/tuotteet?q=Oko

Thanks! OKO X-Treme seems to be non-latex based, and lasts a tire’s lifetime. I already got my Goop at the Post office, but it’s good to know there is one available locally.

Marty - I run the 14D at 55psi.  I'm 180lbs and 55psi seems to be a good balance relative to ride stiffness and performance.  I have been using Slime and am sure it has saved me quite a few times.  However, last flat was caused my wicked thorns.  These things were like roofing nails and I must have ran over a loose branch filled with them.  I extracted 5 from the tire and the tube was unsalvageable (luckily, I have 3 tubes on hand).  Somehow, I keep picking up material that Slime can't combat.  Like I said, "flat magnet."

4 hours ago, Tom D said:

Marty - I run the 14D at 55psi.  I'm 180lbs and 55psi seems to be a good balance relative to ride stiffness and performance.  I have been using Slime and am sure it has saved me quite a few times.  However, last flat was caused my wicked thorns.  These things were like roofing nails and I must have ran over a loose branch filled with them.  I extracted 5 from the tire and the tube was unsalvageable (luckily, I have 3 tubes on hand).  Somehow, I keep picking up material that Slime can't combat.  Like I said, "flat magnet."

Those thorns sound nasty. Hopefully you'll luck will turn for the better :)

Archived