Jump to content

High speed fall! my first severe fall


Shad0z
 Share

Recommended Posts

Glad you're okay.  I've gone down 3 times and each time I went into a kind of shock state that lasted about 30 seconds.  My worst was actually my lowest speed fall.  I was really dumb out riding on icy roads when I should have known better.  Sprained my shoulder.  I have a feeling you probably sprained your shoulder- good luck sleeping, I couldn't lie on my one side for a week or so due to the pain.  

You did pretty well to have avoided a serious crash for 3000km.  I know there are some here that have managed to put ridiculous mileage on their wheels without going down.  I think I remember reading about someone who has like 12000km under their belt and hasn't had an accident.  I can't even imagine making it that long without eating concrete at least once.  

I've chilled out on how fast I go the last few months.  I rarely go much over 35km/h anymore.  I'd want to be wearing knee/elbow pads if I start pushing the speed past 40km/h.  

 

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Shad0z said:

so i was riding today. a little fast evening ride. going high speed i dont remember how much when i fall. but i was driving a place where i normally ride. and then unexpectetly. a new huge edge flung me off my tesla. i went flying and rolling on the ground. and this time i was in shock. i didnt feel much pain. but my shoulder was injured. i still dont know what injury it is. its probably just a shock. i can move my shoulder without issue. but it hurts. 

but i did get some nasty scrapings a big one on the back. and i rode home and looked at it. and i dont have any deep scrapings. just surface scrapings.

so im mostly ok. but this is just another reminder to wear safety gear. my cross helmet most definetly saved my face from asphalt. and if i didnt have my knee pads and elbow pads then it would be a lot worse than just surface scrapings.

so get that safety gear on! 

better 2 minutes before every ride than 2 days in a hospital :) 

if i didnt wear safety gear i then would be typing from the hospital.

 

Glad you're OK. Always be scanning the path in front of you.

I'm curious about the elbow pads. Lately I haven't been wearing mine much because in all my falls I'm not convinced that they took any abuse. Is there evidence that your elbow pads actually saved you from some injuries?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Shad0z said:

 i didnt feel much pain. but my shoulder was injured. i still dont know what injury it is. its probably just a shock. i can move my shoulder without issue. but it hurts. 

Sorry about your fall and injury. As @meepmeepmayer stated go see a physician tomorrow if your not better. I could move my shoulder after my accident but that was because of the post shock adrenaline. If in doubt immobilize it tonight with a towel or ace wrap. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Glad you're OK. Always be scanning the path in front of you.

I am glad he is too!

At high speed I feel an 18inch wheel or above is more forgiving in the way it can absorb irregularities on the road than a 16inch. I say this as I accidentally didn't spot a very deep pothole on the road in time, was too busy looking at the scenery. I managed to stay on thank God but in that split second I thought "Oh boy! here we go!"

With The Tesla I could only travel at speed where I was very sure the path ahead was smooth or safe to do so by really scanning more than I would on 18 inches or above. 

 

Edited by Edddeus
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

In doubt, always go to a doctor. So if tomorrow anything still hurts, don't think too much, just go:efee47c9c8:

i will. Good idea to get my shoulder cheked.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, mezzanine said:

Glad you're okay.  I've gone down 3 times and each time I went into a kind of shock state that lasted about 30 seconds.  My worst was actually my lowest speed fall.  I was really dumb out riding on icy roads when I should have known better.  Sprained my shoulder.  I have a feeling you probably sprained your shoulder- good luck sleeping, I couldn't lie on my one side for a week or so due to the pain.  

You did pretty well to have avoided a serious crash for 3000km.  I know there are some here that have managed to put ridiculous mileage on their wheels without going down.  I think I remember reading about someone who has like 12000km under their belt and hasn't had an accident.  I can't even imagine making it that long without eating concrete at least 

 

 

i was in shock. But i quickly noticed. That i was in shock and i called my dad and drove to a spot where he could pick me up a few kilometers away. i was on a bridge. Bit if someone has 12000 km without a bad fall then they have tiltback at 20kph and ride on grass always :P 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Edddeus said:

I am glad he is too!

At high speed I feel an 18inch wheel or above is more forgiving in the way it can absorb irregularities on the road than a 16inch. I say this as I accidentally didn't spot a very deep pothole on the road in time, was too busy looking at the scenery. I managed to stay on thank God but in that split second I thought "Oh boy! here we go!"

With The Tesla I could only travel at speed where I was very sure the path ahead was smooth or safe to do so by really scanning more than I would on 18 inches or above. 

 

i have over time gotten very good at shock absorbtion with my legs. i have been driving over some really bad bumps and potholes. But survived. It is true an 18 inch is better for obstacles. But this bump filled the hole path from one side to the other and fence on one side of the path. And fall on the other side. And this was no bump. It was more like a complete stop egde

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Ryan Sinatra said:

How's the Tesla? ?

i have no idea how in the world its possible. But it only has one little dent on the shiny plastic on the handle. But i was in shock and didnt think too much about it. so i will check it today to be sure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Glad you're OK. Always be scanning the path in front of you.

I'm curious about the elbow pads. Lately I haven't been wearing mine much because in all my falls I'm not convinced that they took any abuse. Is there evidence that your elbow pads actually saved you from some injuries?

my elbow pads i think ended up taking the main shock and then sliding off because of the impact and the i got scratched on my elbows. Creating the illusion that they didnt help. But i just need to put them on tighter next time. And same with one of my knee pads.

and im always scanning the road infront of me but here is was getting dark and the sun setting so i couldnt see much at that particular moment.but the bump. Or the edge more correctly. Filled the whole path :o i will take a photo today 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Shad0z said:

i will. Good idea to get my shoulder cheked.

I'm still having some troubles with mine 9 months after my fall. Compression of soft tissue inside upon impact, but it kept on annoying me. Had to go see a specialist. Got 3 cortisone injections over 5 months time, and I still have to pay attention when training not to force it in certain movements.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

I'm still having some troubles with mine 9 months after my fall. Compression of soft tissue inside upon impact, but it kept on annoying me. Had to go see a specialist. Got 3 cortisone injections over 5 months time, and I still have to pay attention when training not to force it in certain movements.

 

i really hope my shoulder is ok... And why no one have shoulder pads on :P 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Shad0z said:

i really hope my shoulder is ok... And why no one have shoulder pads on :P 

I bought a summer motorcycle jacket. Doesn't look very "robocop" but has all the hard protections inside. Will be wearing it once my Rockwheel gets here.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Glad you're OK. Always be scanning the path in front of you.

I'm curious about the elbow pads. Lately I haven't been wearing mine much because in all my falls I'm not convinced that they took any abuse. Is there evidence that your elbow pads actually saved you from some injuries?

I have evidence that no elbow pads has resulted in injuries ?

6330C49E-1E74-4034-9ABE-2B4D79104D31.jpeg

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

I'm still having some troubles with mine 9 months after my fall. Compression of soft tissue inside upon impact, but it kept on annoying me. Had to go see a specialist. Got 3 cortisone injections over 5 months time, and I still have to pay attention when training not to force it in certain movements.

 

Impingement of the bursa?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

I don't know the exact term, but according to the shoulder specialist I saw it is indeed the bursa that's irritated because of the compression it suffered by falling on it.

Yeah, I’m very familiar with this. Have chronic impingement in my right shoulder that I’m currently trying to work out by training although I’ve developed a slightly winging scapular through trying to avoid pain and am subconsciously recruiting the wrong muscles to move my arm so it’s tricky.

And then a fall on my Tesla left my left shoulder with an impinged bursa, my arm was extended during the fall and didn’t have direct shoulder/ground impact but I think it hyper extended or whatever you’d call that on a shoulder. Didn’t notice the pain til a day or two later I had ‘painful arc’. Such an annoying injury!

Edited by Roo Williams
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, who_the said:

Very glad @Shad0z is OK! Ibuprofen is a powerful anti-inflammatory to reduce swelling. I take hospital dose (600-1200mg) and find it effective.

I ALWAYS land on my left elbow when I fall. Every time. Never the right. I wear a pretty big, hard pad on my left elbow and it has saved me more times than I can count. Honestly I never, ever ride anymore without my (left) elbow pad and my knee pads. I wear my knee pads under my pants every day.

(Now, if only my right big toenail would hurry up and finish growing back... But that's a story from a different crash.)

bloody hell how many times you fallen

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...