What is this "popping sound"...video link

16 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Loose axle nuts? Sounds like the shell has a bit of play against the motor/tire.

I'm not sure what loose axle nuts sound like, but the shell/tire appears to have plenty of clearance.

1 hour ago, Kyle O said:

When switching directions the wheel started making a popping sound.

It did not do this before now.  Check out the video

That's pretty bad. With the wheel not moving, press on the front and then back. There should be almost no rocking motion on a new wheel. If however there is a lot of 'play' (rocking back and forth as you shift the pressure) before the motor engages and starts to move the wheel, then the nut(s) have loosened or there's an issue with the shims.

Did you buy this from a dealer? If yes, I would open a dialog with them. This should not be happening with what I assume is a new wheel (you haven't said, have you, how old the wheel is or how many miles you have on it?)

It's not about clearance. If you switch on the wheel, stand it up somewhere, and arrest the tire, does the shell move against the motor/tire? (It should not)

If I remember correctly, there was a similar symptom with some Teslas. The solution was, their board wasn't firm in there and moved around a bit, causing similar behavior. But with the Monster, the board is firmly on the side shell (Tesla: on top of the shell, on some weak bracing) so hard to believe it would be this.

I'm in the "Ask your dealer" camp, too. With such a new (and expensive) wheel, not your job to start troubleshooting. But if you want, you can open the right side panel and check whether the board is absolutely firm in there and won't move in bumps/direction changes.

If it's not that, it's loose axle nuts or shims, leading to some play between how the motor/tire moves, and how the shell moves. Let the dealer fix it!

3 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

That's pretty bad. With the wheel not moving, press on the front and then back. There should be almost no rocking motion on a new wheel. If however there is a lot of 'play' (rocking back and forth as you shift the pressure) before the motor engages and starts to move the wheel, then the nut(s) have loosened or there's an issue with the shims.

Did you buy this from a dealer? If yes, I would open a dialog with them. This should not be happening with what I assume is a new wheel (you haven't said, have you, how old the wheel is or how many miles you have on it?)

It's got just a few miles on it.  Only rode it yesterday and today.  Nothing extreme either, it fell over a couple of times at slow speed in grass.  This issue seems to be getting worse.  Kinda bummed my new ride is banging around like this. 

It did not do this at first.  My hope was that it would be a long while before I had to open it up, but I may just have to dig in, and see if it's as simple as a loose nut.  

24 minutes ago, Kyle O said:

It's got just a few miles on it.  Only rode it yesterday and today.  Nothing extreme either, it fell over a couple of times at slow speed in grass.  This issue seems to be getting worse.  Kinda bummed my new ride is banging around like this. 

It did not do this at first.  My hope was that it would be a long while before I had to open it up, but I may just have to dig in, and see if it's as simple as a loose nut.  

Since you're not commenting on the dealer I assume you bought it direct from China. In that case you'll have to open the wheel.

There's not a lot to go wrong in the wheel. Motor can fail, batteries can fail (extremely rare), or control board can fail. Your symptoms do not match a failing motor or control board.

So it's either a loosely mounted control board (the board must be very securely mounted to the shell), or there's an issue with the nut(s) and/or shims. I have a video on my channel where I completely tear down the Monster to fix the shims/nuts, if you want to get a flavor for what's involved. Yours is a bit different from mine, but it should be very close.

8 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Since you're not commenting on the dealer I assume you bought it direct from China. In that case you'll have to open the wheel.

There's not a lot to go wrong in the wheel. Motor can fail, batteries can fail (extremely rare), or control board can fail. Your symptoms do not match a failing motor or control board.

So it's either a loosely mounted control board (the board must be very securely mounted to the shell), or there's an issue with the nut(s) and/or shims. I have a video on my channel where I completely tear down the Monster to fix the shims/nuts, if you want to get a flavor for what's involved. Yours is a bit different from mine, but it should be very close.

The dealer is ewheels, and by all accounts they should take care of me.  I was just seeking wisdom here.  If it's something as simple as a loose screw, or nut, I'd gladly tackle that job without all the shipping, and wheel-less nights I'd have to endure.

42 minutes ago, Kyle O said:

The dealer is ewheels, and by all accounts they should take care of me.  I was just seeking wisdom here.  If it's something as simple as a loose screw, or nut, I'd gladly tackle that job without all the shipping, and wheel-less nights I'd have to endure.

Fixing loose screws - easy. The nut, although you would think would be simple, can be a very big undertaking.

From here I think I'll leave it to Jason. I wouldn't open the wheel before talking to him since it's a warranty item.

4 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Fixing loose screws - easy. The nut, although you would think would be simple, can be a very big undertaking.

From here I think I'll leave it to Jason. I wouldn't open the wheel before talking to him since it's a warranty item.

I'm going to wait on his response, but I must add that I'm a machinist, and if there is a part that is designed wrong, I could beef up the part proper, to prevent future failures.   These things seem simple enough.  What say the experts? 

Gotway already has taken steps to "beef up" the axle and the shims. Short of redesigning it, there isn't much that can be done. You could use thread-locker to try to keep the nuts in place, but with use they will eventually loosen up, it is how the mechanism is designed. Eventually and periodically you will want to open up your wheel and do a check up. A lose axle could lead to a very serious accident. However, being that your wheel is brand new, you should lean on your dealer's warranty.

23 hours ago, Kyle O said:

Ah since u bought from ewheels u are in good hands and Jason will no doubt take care of u.

16 hours ago, Mrd777 said:

@Kyle O I’m curious what you did to solve the problem, do you have an update for us?

It shipped out to ewheels for repair a few days ago, I'm currently waiting for a response. I've had such good dealings from them sofar, I expect an answer soon.

13 hours ago, Kyle O said:

It shipped out to ewheels for repair a few days ago, I'm currently waiting for a response. I've had such good dealings from them sofar, I expect an answer soon.

Definitely curious as to what they find

On 6/15/2018 at 4:25 PM, Marty Backe said:

I completely agree that you should wait to talk to Jason and as it looks like in the post you've already sent it to him, but since I recently saw this in the news I thought I'd share since it's relevant.  Apparently, we can service ANY of our own stuff and the warranty is not affected at all no matter what manufacturers and little stickers (Warranty Void If Removed) may say and this has been the case since 1975.

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/ne9qdq/warranty-void-if-removed-stickers-illegal-ftc

• 2 weeks later...

Update.  

Turns out the axle nuts were not tightened at the factory, and the shims were also inferior, and needed replaced.  Nick at Ewheels, got it all squared away, and I should have it back in my hands by Tuesday.  They sent me a short video of the repair and test drive.

I'm happy.

44 minutes ago, Kyle O said:

Update.  

Turns out the axle nuts were not tightened at the factory, and the shims were also inferior, and needed replaced.  Nick at Ewheels, got it all squared away, and I should have it back in my hands by Tuesday.  They sent me a short video of the repair and test drive.

I'm happy.

Thanks for letting us know. Gotway quality - ug. Well, hopefully once you get the wheel back it'll be trouble free. Fortunately our wheels don't have many parts that can go bad, so once you have a working wheel it should remain working for a long time. Let's hope ?

Got it back today.  I was surprised to find that it was on inside the shipping box.  The fan was humming when I went to open it, and I thought, NO!  However, everything seems fine with it.  I took it out for about a dozen miles.

21 minutes ago, Kyle O said:

Got it back today.  I was surprised to find that it was on inside the shipping box.  The fan was humming when I went to open it, and I thought, NO!  However, everything seems fine with it.  I took it out for about a dozen miles.

Cool. And wow, looks like improvements are needed to the packaging to prevent this from from happening.

Archived