Jump to content

Why can't I turn off tiltback? Monster 100v.


Recommended Posts

Brand new wheel.  I've used the app and tried several tiltback settings.....numerous times.  It beeps, I can control the lights etc., so I know it's connected. But the stinking thing pushes back every time I lean into it.  What am I missing here?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You're a bit low on details.

If you are using the iOS app, that thing might still reset the settings every time you connect. Solution: Android or third party app (Darknessbot).

Or is it low battery tiltback?

Or some warning tiltback? Does it beep/blink at you, too?

You could recalibrate if the pedals are behaving strangely.

Depends on what exactly your symptoms are...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Kyle O said:

Brand new wheel.  I've used the app and tried several tiltback settings.....numerous times.  It beeps, I can control the lights etc., so I know it's connected. But the stinking thing pushes back every time I lean into it.  What am I missing here?

"the app" is important here. Some apps have incompatibilities with wheels, particularly concerning tilt-back.

Just to confirm that you are doing things right, set tilt-back at some very low value (5-kph) and confirm that tilt-back happens at that speed. Then, turn tilt-back off. Confirm that you don't experience tilt-back at 5-kph. If true, you should feel confident that tilt-back is off.

And if you're using iOS, follow @meepmeepmayer's advice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

And what does the wheel do? When does it tilt back? Is it a speed tiltback? Is it always tilted no matter the speed? Does it dip in curves?

It's only on acceleration, the same thing the acm2 was doing before I turned it off.  Like a learners mode?  Is there a different app for droid?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Kyle O said:

It's only on acceleration, the same thing the acm2 was doing before I turned it off.  Like a learners mode?  Is there a different app for droid?

 

You're not talking about Pedal Hardness Mode, are you? Yet you use the term tilt-back.  You've set the Pedal Firmness to hard/sport/etc.?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

You're not talking about Pedal Hardness Mode, are you? Yet you use the term tilt-back.  You've set the Pedal Firmness to hard/sport/etc.?

No, I don't think I've messed with "Pedal hardness mode".  Full disclosure, I'm still learning a lot, and may not understand all the lingo.  I didn't know there was so many variables that could be manipulated.  The directions are pretty much worthless.  Thanks for the help guys!

I lean in to speed up, climb a hill, etc, and as soon as I gain momentum it leans me back to slow me down.  I did try different Mode settings (sport, medium, leisure) also.  I couldn't tell any difference.  I just tried again, and I think it worked.  Does the wheel have to be stopped to take the command?  I tried 10 times yesterday with zero result, today, it appears to be working.  I'll do a few experiments to see if it holds.  The acm2 accepted the changes immediately, and I've not accessed it any more since then.

Is there an app tutorial anywhere?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Kyle O said:

No, I don't think I've messed with "Pedal hardness mode".  Full disclosure, I'm still learning a lot, and may not understand all the lingo.  I didn't know there was so many variables that could be manipulated.  The directions are pretty much worthless.  Thanks for the help guys!

I lean in to speed up, climb a hill, etc, and as soon as I gain momentum it leans me back to slow me down.  I did try different Mode settings (sport, medium, leisure) also.  I couldn't tell any difference.  I just tried again, and I think it worked.  Does the wheel have to be stopped to take the command?  I tried 10 times yesterday with zero result, today, it appears to be working.  I'll do a few experiments to see if it holds.  The acm2 accepted the changes immediately, and I've not accessed it any more since then.

Is there an app tutorial anywhere?

No tutorial. I've thought of making one, but I'm too busy riding :D

With Gotway, the wheel must be stopped for any settings to take affect. You do not have to turn the wheel off & on though. Just stop, make your change, and continue on your way.

There should be a very noticeable difference between Soft (leisure) and Hard (Sport). In Soft mode, the pedals dip as you accelerate or brake.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

No tutorial. I've thought of making one, but I'm too busy riding :D

With Gotway, the wheel must be stopped for any settings to take affect. You do not have to turn the wheel off & on though. Just stop, make your change, and continue on your way.

There should be a very noticeable difference between Soft (leisure) and Hard (Sport). In Soft mode, the pedals dip as you accelerate or brake.

I think you just solved my mystery Marty.  I was easing along slowly while messing with the app yesterday.  Today, I was at a standstill, and it worked!  Thanks again man!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Kyle O said:

I think you just solved my mystery Marty.  I was easing along slowly while messing with the app yesterday.  Today, I was at a standstill, and it worked!  Thanks again man!

Hey great. Glad it's working now. I'm envious of you and your 100-volt machine :thumbup:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So... what was the actual issue? The soft "leisure" mode?

You might want to learn about the actual "tilt-back" as well: It refers to when the wheel tilts the pedals backwards in order to prevent you from going faster. It is engaged for the rider's safety when you are nearing the top speed of the wheel. As the battery charge gets lower, so does the tilt-back speed.

  • Tilt-back speed can be lowered to your liking in the app, if you want to make sure you don't sell your soul to the speed demon while enjoying the ride a bit too much.
  • If you switch off the tilt-back (only possible on Gotway), you can freely accelerate the wheel until the motor shuts off forcing you to crash at full speed.
Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Never heard of a wheel doing tiltback on acceleration. Pedals should be 100% rock solid level all the time, down to low battery (few %) emergency tiltback. That's what's so nice about the GWs, hard as a rock til the end.

1 hour ago, mrelwood said:

So... what was the actual issue?

Sounds like tiltback was just set to a very low speed that he hit every time as soon as he got going. Set it to a higher speed and it's fixed.

2 hours ago, Kyle O said:

Full disclosure, I'm still learning a lot, and may not understand all the lingo.  I didn't know there was so many variables that could be manipulated.  The directions are pretty much worthless.

There's not much to know:

  • Speed beeps (configurable [speeds, on or off], 2x or 3x beeps for 1st and second alarm)
  • 80% power beeps (5/continuous beeps [not sure], always there, never ignore)
  • Tiltback (optional, off or at any speed you like)
  • Low battery tiltback (always there)
  • Low battery beeps (1x, 2x, 3x but slower/longer beeps, always there)
  • Various hardware failure beeps/lights that you look up if ever anything like that comes up.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/15/2018 at 10:29 PM, meepmeepmayer said:

 

  • Speed beeps (configurable [speeds, on or off], 2x or 3x beeps for 1st and second alarm)
  • 80% power beeps (5/continuous beeps [not sure], always there, never ignore)
  • Tiltback (optional, off or at any speed you like)
  • Low battery tiltback (always there)
  • Low battery beeps (1x, 2x, 3x but slower/longer beeps, always there)
  • Various hardware failure beeps/lights that you look up if ever anything like that comes up.

So if you don't hear any beeps at all, it isn't a software issue but either broken buzzer or board malfunction? (ACM stopped beeping a week ago)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, craio said:

So if you don't hear any beeps at all, it isn't a software issue but either broken buzzer or board malfunction? (ACM stopped beeping a week ago)

Yep. You can always do the lift test: switch wheel on and let it balance, lift it up, let it spin crazy until it shuts down - it should beep some time during the process. Pretty sure some of these beeps can't be disabled. So you can see if your buzzer works.

Or just let it fall over, it beeps when it lies there, doesn't it?

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Yep. You can always do the lift test: switch wheel on and let it balance, lift it up, let it spin crazy until it shuts down- it should beep some time during the process. Pretty sure some of these beeps can't be disabled. So you can see if your buzzer works.

It didn't beep in the process. Gues i'll have to find a replacement buzzer and hope it ain't the mainboard. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just tested it, if you disable the speed alarms, the 5/continuous beep 80% alarm still beeps (lift test). Also it should beep when you turn it on, connect an app, change a setting with the app, etc.

edit: correction, the continuous beeps appear as soon as you hit 50km/h (84V "old" ACM) and the wheel spins up to 65 rapidly and then shuts down.

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Doesn't do any of those. I was hoping Wheellog just messed up the settings but couldn't find a 'return to factory' button on the official app.

Those buzzers seem suprisingly hard to find...

Edited by craio
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There isn't.

  • If you press "open all alarms" and then "default alarms" it defaults the speed alarms. (I have no idea what "open all alarms" is supposed to mean, but if you just press "default alarms" after disabling them, they won't come back - just had this, and "open all alarms" and then "default alarms" did set them back to normal)
  • You can just set some tiltback speed.
  • You can set the ride mode.

Pretty sure that does everything that a "factory settings" button would do. Not much to configure on a GW.

--

But you should hear some beeps that can't be disabled either way, if only when you switch the wheel on. So no beeps whatsoever = something wrong with the buzzer or board, you're right there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/15/2018 at 8:26 PM, Marty Backe said:

Hey great. Glad it's working now. I'm envious of you and your 100-volt machine :thumbup:

when are you uploading your 100v monster conversion video? :rolleyes:

Edited by Shad0z
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...