Griffith Park Night Ride - June 23rd 2018

Marty Backe

Made it back. Google maps sent me through a really steep downhill but it wasn't long at all. Maybe 20 min. I made to a really dark, lonely road which was fine but made my Uber driver a bit suspicious of me, especially when she saw me in full gear hehe

Back home I put air again in the tire to see if I could spot the leak  and there's definitely a big slit on the side. Pretty sure that wasn't there before.

@Marty Backe, also... 

Screenshot_20180624-001458.png

15 minutes ago, noisycarlos said:

Made it back. Google maps sent me through a really steep downhill but it wasn't long at all. Maybe 20 min. I made to a really dark, lonely road which was fine but made my Uber driver a bit suspicious of me, especially when she saw me in full gear hehe

Back home I put air again in the tire to see if I could spot the leak  and there's definitely a big slit on the side. Pretty sure that wasn't there before.

@Marty Backe, also... 

Screenshot_20180624-001458.png

Watch, once you start carrying this gear you'll probably never need it again :laughbounce2:

Hey, I'me really glad you made it back OK Carlos. Bummed that you had the long walk out and couldn't enjoy the whole ride. By the time we got to the Observatory it was eerily quiet and empty. Very cool. We saw three more deer, and one deer ran in front us by 10-feet, just as we were riding down to that spot behind the observatory. @Jrkline "Wheel Whisperer" thinks he got it on video.

So we saw 4 deer tonight and one fox.

Jeff had a ~$70 ticket on his truck too :( The parking lots are closed by 10pm but we didn't leave until closer to midnight.

13 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

once you start carrying this gear you'll probably never need it again :laughbounce2:

Lol, That's what happened with my multi tool.. But I guess I rather not needing it than not having it.

Next time, fingers crossed.

I guess the good thing about the flat tire is I didn't get a ticket, I was parked on the same lot.

17 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Hey how was the turn out at the ride?  :popcorn: Six?  Or were there more at the start... :blink:

Seven riders total :thumbup: Beautiful night ride above Los Angeles. Saw one coyote and four deer, including one that ran across our path, maybe 10-feet in front of me. Wrapped up the ride about midnight.

Carlos had a bad flat and had to walk it out, maybe a couple of miles. He's had bad luck with catastrophic tube failures. Oh, and Jeff had a ~$70 parking ticket waiting for him at the end :(

Next night ride is 4th of July - perfect vantage point to see all of the fireworks in the Los Angeles basin.

Doing a night ride at Griffith Park was really cool and we had a good turnout,even though it cost me a $68 parking ticket.I would rather pay a ticket than have to walk out due to a flat!? We had @noisycarlos , @n2eus , @Ando Melkonyan , @1Wheeler , @YoshiSkySun and of course @Marty Backe ;who was late to his own ride by the way. Here is my unedited video of the event which includes the deer in the Euc headlights and  Carlos stroking Marty's tool.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               

A couple pictures from our late night ride at Griffith park.

Here we are at the very highest peak of Griffith Park and Los Angeles behind us. From left: @Jrkline "Wheel Whisperer", @n2eus, @YoshiSkySun, @Ando Melkonyan, me, and @1Wheeler

IMG_1638

At the end, behind the Griffith Observatory. @Ando Melkonyan and @noisycarlos had left us earlier. From left: @n2eus, @YoshiSkySun, @Jrkline "Wheel Whisperer", @1Wheeler, and me.

IMG_0524

4 minutes ago, Michael Vu said:

Damn looked like loads of fun! You guys going to do this ride again soon @Marty Backe? I'm actually visiting LA in a few weeks and me and my girl would love to ride with you guys.

Yes, we will be doing it again. Griffith Park is a perennial favorite of mine.

I know we missed each other when you came out last year. Maybe we'll have better luck this time. Ping me when your itinerary is firmed up.

• 1 month later...
11 minutes ago, IRK said:

Are 2 wheels ever invited?

Well, this is an Electric Unicycle forum :blink:. Not sure what else to say.

2 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Well, this is an Electric Unicycle forum :blink:. Not sure what else to say.

Haha. True.  Although there is a two wheel section!  So I figured it was worth a try!  Haha

looks like fun. 

2 hours ago, IRK said:

Haha. True.  Although there is a two wheel section!  So I figured it was worth a try!  Haha

looks like fun. 

Having ridden many parts of Griffith Park and owning a ninebot minipro and kickscooter, I can't imagine taking either of them up there.  The wheels on a kickscooter are too small to absorb the bumps plus they are pretty gutless going uphills, although I've never tried one of those two wheel drive models. The minipro would be slow going up the hills and downright dangerous going down on that uneven dirt. If you are talking about an e-bike, they are explicitly not allowed on the trails. 

1 hour ago, maltocs said:

Having ridden many parts of Griffith Park and owning a ninebot minipro and kickscooter, I can't imagine taking either of them up there.  The wheels on a kickscooter are too small to absorb the bumps plus they are pretty gutless going uphills, although I've never tried one of those two wheel drive models. The minipro would be slow going up the hills and downright dangerous going down on that uneven dirt. If you are talking about an e-bike, they are explicitly not allowed on the trails. 

Makes sense. 

I think I may need to look into a unicycle. Looks really interesting to me. 

Thanks!

Archived