Banned inside buildings?

travisdehart

23 minutes ago, Esper said:

On a very offtopic question. How does it improve your abs? I've ridden an EUC for over a year and I've gained weight. My abs went from looking nice to not existing. I felt like it hardly used any muscles at all to maneuver. 

You need to do some trail riding. I'm exhausted when I get back from a long ride in the mountains. My core muscles get a workout from all the twisting motions that my body goes through, and my legs feel like rubber.

Thank you all for your responses. I now have official "rules". The Seattle Department of Construction and Inspections helped me out by reaching out to the staff at the Code Compliance division, the Customer Service Bureau and the City Clerk's Office. I also spoke with the Seattle Fire Department and the official end of the day response from the city officials themselves are "each building would most likely have their own rules about whether or not EPAMDs are allowed inside commercial buildings or the public space within those buildings." The latest response from my employer is that building management said they would not permit it.

Unfortunately that same building management company runs the new office we will be relocating to at the end of the year. They did however say that I am allowed to store it inside of 1 of 2 bike storage areas that are key card access only located in the parking garage. It is in a secured room... My concern with this is that there are no cameras inside of either bike storage room but there is a camera facing the doors from the outside meaning someone technically could put it in a bag, throw a jacket over it and casually walk out with it. The building also has lockers which I may be able to fit inside so I'm going to take that route and hope they don't see me. I measured the locker and I feel it will fit. 

So in the end... I have official response that the city has not declared wanting to govern where you can bring these. It is up to the buildings management to allow it or not. Kind of a "my house my rules" situation.

I know not everyone has a welder and machine shop in there garage.  I would weld up a box and attach it to the back of the bike rack.  I would use one of those coke machine locks "hockey puck".  Then put my own fake camera in the room.  Maybe a sticker on the box "The device inside is locked electronically"  Maybe hook up some cattle probes and motion sensors.  Although?.... if you do that I would put up a real camera.  It might be fun to watch.  I don't know maybe some razor wire......  Are you good  with chemicals?   I am just throwing ideas out there.  Take what you can use.   

14 hours ago, travisdehart said:

So in the end... I have official response that the city has not declared wanting to govern where you can bring these. It is up to the buildings management to allow it or not. Kind of a "my house my rules" situation.

Buy an Mten3. It fits in a laptop backpack. Just store it in there and carry it inside. I don't know how many miles you commute on it but 1 charge should be sufficient to get you to work and back (with the 512Wh version) unless you do 20 mile round trips, but I don't think your current EUC as a huge range either.

17 hours ago, travisdehart said:

Thank you all for your responses. I now have official "rules". The Seattle Department of Construction and Inspections helped me out by reaching out to the staff at the Code Compliance division, the Customer Service Bureau and the City Clerk's Office. I also spoke with the Seattle Fire Department and the official end of the day response from the city officials themselves are "each building would most likely have their own rules about whether or not EPAMDs are allowed inside commercial buildings or the public space within those buildings." The latest response from my employer is that building management said they would not permit it.

Unfortunately that same building management company runs the new office we will be relocating to at the end of the year. They did however say that I am allowed to store it inside of 1 of 2 bike storage areas that are key card access only located in the parking garage. It is in a secured room... My concern with this is that there are no cameras inside of either bike storage room but there is a camera facing the doors from the outside meaning someone technically could put it in a bag, throw a jacket over it and casually walk out with it. The building also has lockers which I may be able to fit inside so I'm going to take that route and hope they don't see me. I measured the locker and I feel it will fit. 

Looks like you will make out okay. Very rarely are bikes stolen from the storage situation you outlined. (theft implies an "inside job" which is usually not worth the risk) In a locker it will be out of sight, out of mind. You can lock via an app and put a sticker on it saying it is electronically lock and an alarm will sound if moved. Good luck and enjoy your commute!

On 6/16/2018 at 7:38 AM, Jerome said:

You can lock via an app and put a sticker on it saying it is electronically lock and an alarm will sound if moved.

This is a brilliant idea! I do have a lock option on my app but I haven't tried that yet. If I lock it will an alarm really sound if someone tries taking it? That would be so awesome if so! I've tested it inside the locker this morning and it fits perfectly. I was stopped by security and grilled a little bit while entering the building. They asked me to send them info on it so they could contact building management and I told them I've already gone through that process. So I'm going to buy a bag and start "sneaking" it in and putting in the locker because something tells me that they're going to building management no matter what and I'd feel much more secure with it in a locker.

Sucks to feel I have to do that and that I can't talk about such a cool item at work in fear of getting in trouble. My company is great I love it here, but they're saying the building management is the issue. I can only take their word on it I have no way of knowing without really rocking the boat. At least I have a way of slipping under the radar once I get a bag. Even though I shouldn't have to hide that I have it.

1 hour ago, travisdehart said:

This is a brilliant idea! I do have a lock option on my app but I haven't tried that yet. If I lock it will an alarm really sound if someone tries taking it? That would be so awesome if so! I've tested it inside the locker this morning and it fits perfectly. I was stopped by security and grilled a little bit while entering the building. They asked me to send them info on it so they could contact building management and I told them I've already gone through that process. So I'm going to buy a bag and start "sneaking" it in and putting in the locker because something tells me that they're going to building management no matter what and I'd feel much more secure with it in a locker.

Sucks to feel I have to do that and that I can't talk about such a cool item at work in fear of getting in trouble. My company is great I love it here, but they're saying the building management is the issue. I can only take their word on it I have no way of knowing without really rocking the boat. At least I have a way of slipping under the radar once I get a bag. Even though I shouldn't have to hide that I have it.

I hope it all works out well for you. The last option you can do if the need really comes to it, is to put it into a suitcase and just set it next to your desk. IIRC you can't do bag searches in the city of Seattle unless there is cause for a crime, ie; bomb/drug sniffing dogs, or metal detector/x-ray machine. Or if there is a warrant.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/14/2018 at 9:32 AM, Marty Backe said:

You need to do some trail riding. I'm exhausted when I get back from a long ride in the mountains. My core muscles get a workout from all the twisting motions that my body goes through, and my legs feel like rubber.

If you do trail riding, have you had to replace the tire on one yet? I tried finding documentation online to show me how to do that if the day comes where I need to, but I can't find anything posted on how to open the device up. I saw a youtube video that started after the wheel was already out of the electric unicycle. That's been the only reason I've been cautious with where I ride mine. Kingsong said that if I have to send it back to them to fix something it will cost me $160 just in shipping and handling. I emailed asked if they had a step by step guide on how to change the tire if I need to do it myself, but they responded telling me that they will be willing to help with a discount on a tire if I need to buy one. Didn't exactly answer my question but led me to believe its setup so they have to do it?

9 minutes ago, travisdehart said:

If you do trail riding, have you had to replace the tire on one yet?

Marty uses Slime in his tires, which quite effectively seals small punctures as they appear. I use a latex free Goop that should not dry out.

If you search for videos on [your wheel model] disassembly, I’m sure you’ll find ones that show you how to remove the motor+tire from the chassis. I’ve done ot several times on my KS-16S.

26 minutes ago, travisdehart said:

If you do trail riding, have you had to replace the tire on one yet? I tried finding documentation online to show me how to do that if the day comes where I need to, but I can't find anything posted on how to open the device up. I saw a youtube video that started after the wheel was already out of the electric unicycle. That's been the only reason I've been cautious with where I ride mine. Kingsong said that if I have to send it back to them to fix something it will cost me $160 just in shipping and handling. I emailed asked if they had a step by step guide on how to change the tire if I need to do it myself, but they responded telling me that they will be willing to help with a discount on a tire if I need to buy one. Didn't exactly answer my question but led me to believe its setup so they have to do it?

EUC ownership is a community supported activity. Don't expect any documentation or help from manufacturers. It shouldn't be this way, but it's our reality.

If you can change the tire/tube on a bicycle you can do it on an EUC. It'll just take a little longer (~2 hours). Most people never have to change a tube let alone the tire. Whether trail riding or street riding, a tire should last thousands of miles.

If/when the time comes, just come here for guidance if you need any :)

7 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

EUC ownership is a community supported activity. Don't expect any documentation or help from manufacturers. It shouldn't be this way, but it's our reality.

If you can change the tire/tube on a bicycle you can do it on an EUC. It'll just take a little longer (~2 hours). Most people never have to change a tube let alone the tire. Whether trail riding or street riding, a tire should last thousands of miles.

If/when the time comes, just come here for guidance if you need any :)

Yes, but an inner tube can last much less. Which means learning is an important step in ownership.
@travisdehart If you own it, it is your responsibility to maintain it just as you would a bicycle. As advice was once granted to me. Put some Slime in your tires before a puncture happens.

2 minutes ago, Esper said:

Yes, but an inner tube can last much less. Which means learning is an important step in ownership. If you own it, it is your responsibility to maintain it just as you would a bicycle. As advice was once granted to me. Put some Slime in your tires before a puncture happens.

Ah Man!  Where is your sence of adventure?  Carrying a wheel 14 miles is a great spontaneous form of exercise.  Think of the character building it could provide.  What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. 

21 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

Ah Man!  Where is your sence of adventure?  Carrying a wheel 14 miles is a great spontaneous form of exercise.  Think of the character building it could provide.  What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. 

I did that last friday and let me tell you. It was great the whole way home. Battery died about 2 miles from home. decided that it wasn't that far away and started walking. Little did I know that it was all uphill with a 30° grade. Best adventure this year.

1 hour ago, Esper said:

who are you talking to?

He's talking to @travisdehart, the original poster, who's looking for options to secure his wheel at his place of work, because he can't take the EUC into the building and the his office. It must be kept where the bicycles are parked or a locker.

This is ridiculous.  I have the kingsong 14S and they are a perfect size to take into an office and tuck away.   I would be inclined to buy a rugged backpack with rolling wheels and just tuck the unicycle inside that once I reached my office building.  Before I got into the building I would wheel it inside.  No one needs to know what is inside your bag. 

Archived