Banned inside buildings?

travisdehart

I live in Seattle WA and just bought a Kingsong 14D to ride to and from work. I've been practicing and planned on riding it into work for the 1st time this upcoming Monday. My employer overheard me talking about it and pulled me into a conference meeting with the safety manager to tell me that building codes do not allow electric personal transportation devices. I was told they are not permitted to even enter the elevator. I was told that it is not a company decision. We are also planning on moving offices within the city by the end of the summer and I was told that the same would go for the new building that they have chosen. I do see that these are banned on airplanes, but I spent a lot of money to buy this for the 1 reason of using it to help me get to and from work and I'm being told that will not be allowed due to city building and safety codes. Has anyone else ran into this before and were you able to get around it? Is my only option to buy a thick chain, extend the handle and chain it up with the bikes? I really hope not because that will be gone in no time. Just looking at it, I can imagine it would take zero effort to snap the handle and walk off with it. Thanks!

I ride to work all the time, but I never ride it around inside my office. I get off and trolley it in to my desk and turn it off.  I suppose the building owner could make a rule saying "No batteries of a certain size are allowed" but I don't think this is a region-wide policy. I've never heard of it and does sound a little like they're picking on you.

What crappy company around here won't let people ride their commuter tool to work? I want to know so I never get a job there :D

4 minutes ago, travisdehart said:

I'm being told that will not be allowed due to city building and safety codes. Has anyone else ran into this before and were you able to get around it?

So let us all hope that they also are going to ban Laptops as well as they have the very same batteries and chargers. Do they have a car park under the building? Do they allow Electric or hybrid cars in it? Can you imagine the sort of fire all those Tesla batteries could cause underneath all of the offices and parked next to cars full of gasoline as well!

Sadly this sort of knee jerk reaction as a result of the very overhyped Hoverboard fires is all too likely in some places. It is pathetic but very difficult to handle.

Just in passing, in the very many years I’ve been using the much more fragile LiPo batteries, I’ve got well over 100, I’ve never had one catch fire. My works Laptop once caught fire and ruined my lounge carpet, the company flat refused to pay for the damage (so I flat refused to work from home any more!)

Thanks Kasenutty and Kieth for your responses. I see them being used more and more around the city as a form of alternate transportation. I was thinking that it should be allowed. And yes it's as if that original issue of the cheap devices igniting that gave all other future devices a bad name. I mean it technically falls under the same category as an electric wheelchair. I did pretty extensive online searches and couldn't find anything that says the city does not allow it inside of office buildings. I've asked to be sent any documents that they have that shows the opposite and if there is anything substantial to this I'll definitely share on here so everyone is aware. I even said that if they are not allowed in the elevator can I just carry it up and down the stairs... So I'll be updating this soon with what the outcome was.

I had a building here in NYC tell me that I couldn't use the elevator.  I used it anyway but you wouldn't wanna do that where you work. I'd suggest a tote bag with zipper enclosure. 14d isnt too heavy but you can't lock it with that handle.

Does anyone know if a U-lock will fit thru the Kingsong 18" rim spokes?

1 hour ago, travisdehart said:

Thanks Kasenutty and Kieth for your responses. I see them being used more and more around the city as a form of alternate transportation. I was thinking that it should be allowed. And yes it's as if that original issue of the cheap devices igniting that gave all other future devices a bad name. I mean it technically falls under the same category as an electric wheelchair. I did pretty extensive online searches and couldn't find anything that says the city does not allow it inside of office buildings. I've asked to be sent any documents that they have that shows the opposite and if there is anything substantial to this I'll definitely share on here so everyone is aware. I even said that if they are not allowed in the elevator can I just carry it up and down the stairs... So I'll be updating this soon with what the outcome was.

Hey bud, I also work in Seattle, and I've already done the research along the lines of laws. So far, this is the only thing I've come across
https://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.61.710

As for working in a building that doesn't allow it. I worked as a courier and did deliveries to MOST of the buildings in Seattle. None of which have ever mentioned anything to me about having the wheel in their buildings. Now, the only building I have gone into that had the guy ask what it was is the Vulcan building next to International District Station. And the security guy basically said 'oh that's pretty cool' If you really want to get into the meat of it. I can look up a contact in the fire department and see if it is an actual issue. But I really think that your boss is just being a huge dick. 

As @kasenutty said. I would like to know what company or even building it is that has this rule.

The wheel does not have spokes and the handle brakes off easy.  You could drill a Hole in the pedal and put a cable through it.  I would not leave it outside all day every day though.  If you work in an office building on the 6th floor it could be hard to store the thing.  Do you have a friend with a car you can store it in?  Is there a near by self storage?  A place nearby that would like to rend a few square feet of space that you can mount a heavy metal box inside or out that you can store it in?   If you have a building maintenance guy I would pay him a small fee to find a good place.

When I was a kid I made an electric mini bike with a car battery and a 51' ford starter.  I rode it 3 miles every day to school in the 6th grade.  At first they said NO WAY!  After explaining that I had made the thing myself and that I could weld run half the machines in a machine shop at that age they found a safe place out back where they charged a golf cart.  Every day after school my mini bike was charged up and ready to go.  (10 mile range,  25 MPH,  0 to 25 in about 2.5 seconds) 

3 hours ago, travisdehart said:

This doesn't surprise me, but is it an insurmountable problem? When I bring mine to work I treat it like a bicycle. In my case I can leave it in the lobby. Worst case you could leave it at a bike rack, locked of course. Hopefully they support bicyclists and have bike racks.

I commute to work every day, take it up in the elevator and park it next to my desk. I even charge it there! Your employer is being a twat, squeeze them for any ‘official’ documentation and contest til the end. If they make their own rules, poke them in the eye and quit. Fuckers.

When I was working in NYC, I bought a Brompton to ride from the subway to the office.  When I got to the office, I had practice the fold and could do it in a few seconds, tried to wheel it in, lobby security stopped me and said I had to use the freight.  Sucked ass...

I would carry it in a backpack or duffel bag (Helmet other safety equipment also). If your boss is going to search your luggage it is more likely personal and you have no options. Locking it outside at a bike rack is the same as giving it away. Perhaps you have a friend that will let you put it into their car trunk (boot)?

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I've asked to be sent any documents that they have that shows the opposite

Sounds to me like the boss was just blowing smoke about "building codes." You've called his bluff, and that might not turn out well, because now he will have to admit that he made up some excuse to bar you from bringing your wheel for whatever trivial reason he really has in mind. It may just be a power play to show you "who is boss." :efeed51798:

Is this boss' word the final answer? Is this the owner/CEO of the company? Can you go higher up the chain to appeal to company culture, respect for others, and avoiding unnecessary rules in the name of treating each other like adults, not children? If the company encourages environmental responsibility, sharing details about the efficiency of commuting by EUC vs. by car or even public transit could make a difference. 

Barring that, perhaps there is a secure area within the building (assuming that the building isn't owned by the company), perhaps in the basement or a storage room in the parking garage, that building management might be willing to let you use to lock up your wheel in during the day. And in anticipation of your move to a new building, maybe try to make friends with the management of that building before your company makes the move.

Wow! Overkill or what?

My employer has been great about my EUC's and even my e-bike. All have been pushed/carried into the building, up and down the lift and sat under my desk (admittedly the e-bike took up a lot of room under there).

I wouldn't push too hard in case they try and make things difficult for you but maybe, as others said, ask for the documentation that shows that because you've been looking online and are unable to find it yourself. 

Today I was occupying a parking space for the transit officer, I was busy answering a text on my phone.  When he pulled up I ignored him.  He went over the curb and parked next to me, I just smiled and said howdy, he smiled back, waved and went on his way.  I now ride my Mten3 under the viaduct (for shade) which is one way entrance for the buses.  Ya they honk at me and try to run me over but who cares... I guess there are special privilege for one with one million mile accident free plastered all around my uniform...  Just do what you want within reason and live a life... :whistling:

My employer's security guy told me I could not bring it in the front door anymore last month, after the company did a multi Mil$$ renovation and the floor is now white. He said the company did not want any wheeled things in the lobby any more. Luckily, we have a garage entrance with garage elevators/stairs. So I now enter and exit the "back way". Alternatively, I can carry it in, but I don't want to do that.

Really horrible about that decision, as long as you are not riding it. I would appeal to HR and above your manager as the benefits outweigh any possible issue. 

I also agree if it is an issue with the battery, all cell phones, lap tops, and other portable devices should also be banned at your company. A lot of non-sense.

1 minute ago, Circuitmage said:

My employer's security guy told me I could not bring it in the front door anymore last month, after the company did a multi Mil$$ renovation and the floor is now white. He said the company did not want any wheeled things in the lobby any more. Luckily, we have a garage entrance with garage elevators/stairs. So I now enter and exit the "back way". Alternatively, I can carry it in, but I don't want to do that.

Really horrible about that decision, as long as you are not riding it. I would appeal to HR and above your manager as the benefits outweigh any possible issue. 

I also agree if it is an issue with the battery, all cell phones, lap tops, and other portable devices should also be banned at your company. A lot of non-sense.

Oh maaannn, how I would just love to go in there and scuff it up with SHOES! You know how dumb that idea is in a office building? That floor wont stay white for long. If there is a wheelchair ramp then they allow wheeled things. As far as deliveries go, you could use the entrance they use.

40 minutes ago, Esper said:

Oh maaannn, how I would just love to go in there and scuff it up with SHOES! You know how dumb that idea is in a office building? That floor wont stay white for long. If there is a wheelchair ramp then they allow wheeled things. As far as deliveries go, you could use the entrance they use.

Exactly. I highly doubt that they have a sign on the front door that disallows people with wheelchairs from entering their building. Many people don't have critical thinking skills :unsure:

What they think:

Electric unicycle = hover board,  hover board = bonfire.  You don’t need to bring your stupid toys to work.  Grow up and get a bicycle you need the exercise.

What I think:

EUCs are fun and great for commuting  I have been riding ECUs for only a month and my abs have never looked so good!  

Just now, RockyTop said:

What they think:

Electric unicycle = hover board,  hover board = bonfire.  You don’t need to bring your stupid toys to work.  Grow up and get a bicycle you need the exercise.

What I think:

EUCs are fun and great for commuting  I have been riding ECUs for only a month and my abs have never looked so good!  

On a very offtopic question. How does it improve your abs? I've ridden an EUC for over a year and I've gained weight. My abs went from looking nice to not existing. I felt like it hardly used any muscles at all to maneuver. 

1 minute ago, Esper said:

On a very offtopic question. How does it improve your abs? I've ridden an EUC for over a year and I've gained weight. My abs went from looking nice to not existing. I felt like it hardly used any muscles at all to maneuver. 

Try taking it on challenging off road... :whistling:

7 minutes ago, Mark Lee said:

Try taking it on challenging off road... :whistling:

Well?,  As a beginner everything is a challenge.  I never would have expected all the soreness in my upper body.  However when it gets too easy I  have a tendency to kick the challenge up a notch.  I have a “see if you can Get out of this one” mentality.  Honestly my best skill has always been hitting the ground with finesse.  I am damn good at it!

Archived