My eWheels Review

Japmerican

I'm a complete newbie when it comes to EUC's but I have just learned how to ride them and now I'm hooked.  It's been less than a week since I got my KingSong KS18S, but I wanted to share my experience if anyone is interested.  This is a review that I wrote for eWheels since Jason has done such an amazing job helping me get the wheel I wanted.  If these types of posts are prohibited please forgive me and my excitement for this new hobby/lifestyle.

"Let me give you a little background. I had been using a simple hoverboard as an "assistant commuter." I would ride it from my house to a commuter train and then from there I would ride it again to work. I had done this for a year, but the reality of this being so slow for a few of the miles I was on it set in very quickly.

"I was looking for other options that were all electric and also very fun. I had already been known at work and around the work neighborhood as the guy with the hoverboard and somewhat even infamous. I wanted to ramp it up a notch too with whatever I decided to upgrade to. I looked into eBikes and then saw a video on YouTube about Electric Unicycles. As soon as I saw that video, which was for a really cheap and under powered EUC, I knew that I needed to get one. I started researching what types were available, cost, power, speed, battery size, mileage, etc.

"I settled on either a Gotway Monster 22 or a KingSong KS18S because of the power and mileage capability. I wanted this to be able to be a full commuter and errand runner. This would become my primary form of transportation, so it had to be top of the line! I quickly realized the price for me was high, but definitely worth the cost. I saved up what I could and even sold some things on eBay to get all the money. After watching nearly all the videos that are on YouTube about EUCs in general while the time passed, I finally found out about eWheels as the best vendor here in the USA. I also, during this research, finally decided on the KingSong KS18S, as my biggest priorities were, in this order, distance, safety, quality, and power. I've found that overall opinion out there is that KingSong, has the best safety and quality ratings of all the EUC vendors. So I ordered it through eWheels and now I just had to wait for it to arrive.

"Three days! That's all it took to get from California to Utah. By the way, there's almost no one in Utah with an EUC, so I may even be the only KS18S rider in the state. That needs to change, we need enough to form a group.

"So here's my experience. I had no experience on one, so it was entirely up to me to train myself. I did watch many videos of how to ride one on YouTube, but they only gave my brain the knowledge. I was VERY UNSUCCESSFUL on my first attempt. Never once though did my EUC fall or get scratched. I was extra cautious. On day two, I was able to ride it, but couldn't quite control where it went, obviously not desirable. After three days however, it finally clicked in my head somehow and WOW, I was riding an EUC.

"It was actually only about 3 or 4 hours of trying to ride it as I spent mostly only about an hour each day practicing. I had no serious falls or close calls, but being tense and inexperienced had me really squeezing the EUC with my knees which caused some minor bruises on both the inside of my knees and ankles.

"Once I got it down I didn't find much need to squeeze the sides unless I wanted a really quick acceleration or I was climbing a steep hill. Which this one has NO problems at all doing. I've mostly ridden it in downtown Salt Lake City and drove it up and down some really serious inclines without any problems.

"I've seen some reviews both written and video saying that the KingSong KS18S is NOT a good EUC for beginners. If that's true then I'm an exceptional rider. But statistically there shouldn't be anything special about me, so I would say it's a great beginner EUC as it is a top of the line model. Which means it has plenty of power when you're trying something that you don't know that you shouldn't try as a beginner. It will NOT cut out suddenly!

"I would recommend this for beginners who have never ridden an EUC, but only IF they have the budget available.

"This is day four of me riding the KS18S and I already have 45 miles on it and that almost entirely yesterday's distance. This has quickly become my favorite form of transportation.

"A special note about learning to ride though; if you want to learn quickly, then you will need to be in good shape. If you take it slowly then it doesn't require as much out of you physically. I use an Apple Watch to keep track of steps, movement, heart rate, etc. which I use to meet certain exercise goals. I blew all those goals out of the water while I was trying to learn it. Four times as many calories burned; three times as much movement; and twice the exercise were the results of learn this awesome machine.

"The KingSong KS18S is an EUC that shouldn't be passed on if you've got the chance. I really love the distance, speed and power that comes with this alternate form of travel that has now become my favorite form of travel."

That was my review but just later that day I decided to take it up the mountain beyond the Utah State Capital to some of the radio towers that are there.  It was so easy to get there!  I can't believe what this can do.  Never got a warning beep or notification of any kind.  The temperature remained great.  The only reason that I didn't get to the top was that it was a spur of the moment decision and I didn't have a full battery.  I only had about 20% to 30% left near the top so I decided to head back down so I would damage the battery.  The regenerative braking was great as I had about 45% battery when I got to the bottom of the mountain.

Here's a few of my photos from the trip.

SLCValleyPano.thumb.jpg.3fe4c9f3f5869a686e5132c76b48e55e.jpg

SLCValley.thumb.jpg.62aee2d9bc345a778b1ec0e7fe4121d4.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to read this long post.  I look forward to more time on my KS18S and this forum.  By the way, If there is anyone in the Salt Lake City area that would like to get together for a ride, let me know.  I've only seen one other EUC, not sure which, in Utah further north.  And based on the Apps and people who share their locations, there aren't more than about 8 in the whole state.  I love to meet you.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, Japmerican said:

I'm a complete newbie when it comes to EUC's but I have just learned how to ride them and now I'm hooked.  It's been less than a week since I got my KingSong KS18S, but I wanted to share my experience if anyone is interested.  This is a review that I wrote for eWheels since Jason has done such an amazing job helping me get the wheel I wanted.  If these types of posts are prohibited please forgive me and my excitement for this new hobby/lifestyle.

"Let me give you a little background. I had been using a simple hoverboard as an "assistant commuter." I would ride it from my house to a commuter train and then from there I would ride it again to work. I had done this for a year, but the reality of this being so slow for a few of the miles I was on it set in very quickly.

"I was looking for other options that were all electric and also very fun. I had already been known at work and around the work neighborhood as the guy with the hoverboard and somewhat even infamous. I wanted to ramp it up a notch too with whatever I decided to upgrade to. I looked into eBikes and then saw a video on YouTube about Electric Unicycles. As soon as I saw that video, which was for a really cheap and under powered EUC, I knew that I needed to get one. I started researching what types were available, cost, power, speed, battery size, mileage, etc.

"I settled on either a Gotway Monster 22 or a KingSong KS18S because of the power and mileage capability. I wanted this to be able to be a full commuter and errand runner. This would become my primary form of transportation, so it had to be top of the line! I quickly realized the price for me was high, but definitely worth the cost. I saved up what I could and even sold some things on eBay to get all the money. After watching nearly all the videos that are on YouTube about EUCs in general while the time passed, I finally found out about eWheels as the best vendor here in the USA. I also, during this research, finally decided on the KingSong KS18S, as my biggest priorities were, in this order, distance, safety, quality, and power. I've found that overall opinion out there is that KingSong, has the best safety and quality ratings of all the EUC vendors. So I ordered it through eWheels and now I just had to wait for it to arrive.

"Three days! That's all it took to get from California to Utah. By the way, there's almost no one in Utah with an EUC, so I may even be the only KS18S rider in the state. That needs to change, we need enough to form a group.

"So here's my experience. I had no experience on one, so it was entirely up to me to train myself. I did watch many videos of how to ride one on YouTube, but they only gave my brain the knowledge. I was VERY UNSUCCESSFUL on my first attempt. Never once though did my EUC fall or get scratched. I was extra cautious. On day two, I was able to ride it, but couldn't quite control where it went, obviously not desirable. After three days however, it finally clicked in my head somehow and WOW, I was riding an EUC.

"It was actually only about 3 or 4 hours of trying to ride it as I spent mostly only about an hour each day practicing. I had no serious falls or close calls, but being tense and inexperienced had me really squeezing the EUC with my knees which caused some minor bruises on both the inside of my knees and ankles.

"Once I got it down I didn't find much need to squeeze the sides unless I wanted a really quick acceleration or I was climbing a steep hill. Which this one has NO problems at all doing. I've mostly ridden it in downtown Salt Lake City and drove it up and down some really serious inclines without any problems.

"I've seen some reviews both written and video saying that the KingSong KS18S is NOT a good EUC for beginners. If that's true then I'm an exceptional rider. But statistically there shouldn't be anything special about me, so I would say it's a great beginner EUC as it is a top of the line model. Which means it has plenty of power when you're trying something that you don't know that you shouldn't try as a beginner. It will NOT cut out suddenly!

"I would recommend this for beginners who have never ridden an EUC, but only IF they have the budget available.

"This is day four of me riding the KS18S and I already have 45 miles on it and that almost entirely yesterday's distance. This has quickly become my favorite form of transportation.

"A special note about learning to ride though; if you want to learn quickly, then you will need to be in good shape. If you take it slowly then it doesn't require as much out of you physically. I use an Apple Watch to keep track of steps, movement, heart rate, etc. which I use to meet certain exercise goals. I blew all those goals out of the water while I was trying to learn it. Four times as many calories burned; three times as much movement; and twice the exercise were the results of learn this awesome machine.

"The KingSong KS18S is an EUC that shouldn't be passed on if you've got the chance. I really love the distance, speed and power that comes with this alternate form of travel that has now become my favorite form of travel."

That was my review but just later that day I decided to take it up the mountain beyond the Utah State Capital to some of the radio towers that are there.  It was so easy to get there!  I can't believe what this can do.  Never got a warning beep or notification of any kind.  The temperature remained great.  The only reason that I didn't get to the top was that it was a spur of the moment decision and I didn't have a full battery.  I only had about 20% to 30% left near the top so I decided to head back down so I would damage the battery.  The regenerative braking was great as I had about 45% battery when I got to the bottom of the mountain.

Here's a few of my photos from the trip.

SLCValleyPano.thumb.jpg.3fe4c9f3f5869a686e5132c76b48e55e.jpg

SLCValley.thumb.jpg.62aee2d9bc345a778b1ec0e7fe4121d4.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to read this long post.  I look forward to more time on my KS18S and this forum.  By the way, If there is anyone in the Salt Lake City area that would like to get together for a ride, let me know.  I've only seen one other EUC, not sure which, in Utah further north.  And based on the Apps and people who share their locations, there aren't more than about 8 in the whole state.  I love to meet you.

Very nice introductory story. Looks like you got the bug big time. You will now experience the world like most people never do. There's so much to explore.

Congrat's on the wheel, and welcome to the Forum :cheers:

1 hour ago, Adumb said:

Ewheels is great, I bought a new ACM2 from them but it had factory defect with the shell, @Jason McNeil sent me a blue one right away before I even sent the old one back. Could not ask for a better dealer. 

What do you think of the ACM2?

16 hours ago, Japmerican said:

"I've seen some reviews both written and video saying that the KingSong KS18S is NOT a good EUC for beginners. If that's true then I'm an exceptional rider. But statistically there shouldn't be anything special about me, so I would say it's a great beginner EUC as it is a top of the line model. 

Welcome! 

You’ve adopted one of my Top 5 favorite wheels all-time! I got my first KS18 (A, now have the S) after abandoning my first ever wheel, the Ninebot One E+, when I learned there were faster wheels at the time, 3 years ago.

I had a hunch it would be a good beginner learning wheel all along because of the high side leg padding, but wasn’t sure due to the above average weight of it compared to lighter, smaller models. For a beginner, the concept of mounting the EUC is the most difficult, leaning your shin into the pad while your foot presses down on the pedal in contrary force. So for a first wheel, higher the side padding, the better, and not many wheels with higher pads than the KS18 series, it’s almost like cheating if you do one leg riding on it!

Well, maybe I can meet up with a team of you Utah folk (including @Mark Lee!) on my yearly Park City ski trip next January / February 2019!

@Japmerican, @Santa welcome to the forum.  I live in Roy and we have one more rider in Ogden that I know of.  You may have seen either myself or Shawn in Ogden transit center...  I'm in SLC often for my business reasons we need to meet and you can try some of my wheels.  Good to see other EUC'ers here in Utah.  Thanks for posting... :thumbup:

1 hour ago, Mark Lee said:

@Japmerican, @Santa welcome to the forum.  I live in Roy and we have one more rider in Ogden that I know of.  You may have seen either myself or Shawn in Ogden transit center...  I'm in SLC often for my business reasons we need to meet and you can try some of my wheels.  Good to see other EUC'ers here in Utah.  Thanks for posting... :thumbup:

Thanks everyone, for the welcome!  I keep finding reasons to ride it even if it's a single block down to the 7-eleven.  I get even more looks riding it with a Double Gulp in one hand and a bag of goodies in the other than I do for just zipping passed people ?.

@Mark Lee, you may be the one guy I've seen here which made me say there's almost no one in Utah with an EUC.  I've lived up in Roy too up until just last week when I got the wheel.  I've seen someone zip passed the house a couple times on and EUC and never got out the door quick enough to chat.  It was just south of 4800 in the neighborhood.  Let me know if you think it was you.

As for a meetup, @Santa, @Mark Lee, @houseofjob, or anyone else, I'll likely be available anytime after 5:00pm most days and all weekend too.  So let's do it!

@Marty Backe, your videos were one of the major deciding factors on which EUC I ultimately decided on.  It was probably your video of you on the KS18S (I think you had borrowed it from someone) doing a stress test up the hill that kills most EUCs.  I remember you saying that the KS18S overheated exactly as you got to the top of the hill.  Just out of curiosity, since a video can't accurately show how long or steep a hill is, what degree of incline or grade was that hill and how long was it?  I know it wasn't a constant grade the whole way, but I'm interested because when I went up the mountain the other day there were some really difficult climbs I was pushing it through.  I was surprised by how steep it could handle and was constantly checking the temperature because I was concerned because of your video.  There weren't any extremely long hills that were also extremely steep climbs.  Mostly just very steep.  The temperature did get around 130 degrees Fahrenheit though.  I don't know what the shut-off temperature is.

2 hours ago, Japmerican said:

Thanks everyone, for the welcome!  I keep finding reasons to ride it even if it's a single block down to the 7-eleven.  I get even more looks riding it with a Double Gulp in one hand and a bag of goodies in the other than I do for just zipping passed people ?.

@Mark Lee, you may be the one guy I've seen here which made me say there's almost no one in Utah with an EUC.  I've lived up in Roy too up until just last week when I got the wheel.  I've seen someone zip passed the house a couple times on and EUC and never got out the door quick enough to chat.  It was just south of 4800 in the neighborhood.  Let me know if you think it was you.

As for a meetup, @Santa, @Mark Lee, @houseofjob, or anyone else, I'll likely be available anytime after 5:00pm most days and all weekend too.  So let's do it!

@Marty Backe, your videos were one of the major deciding factors on which EUC I ultimately decided on.  It was probably your video of you on the KS18S (I think you had borrowed it from someone) doing a stress test up the hill that kills most EUCs.  I remember you saying that the KS18S overheated exactly as you got to the top of the hill.  Just out of curiosity, since a video can't accurately show how long or steep a hill is, what degree of incline or grade was that hill and how long was it?  I know it wasn't a constant grade the whole way, but I'm interested because when I went up the mountain the other day there were some really difficult climbs I was pushing it through.  I was surprised by how steep it could handle and was constantly checking the temperature because I was concerned because of your video.  There weren't any extremely long hills that were also extremely steep climbs.  Mostly just very steep.  The temperature did get around 130 degrees Fahrenheit though.  I don't know what the shut-off temperature is.

Load this file in Google Earth. It's a track I made that shows Overheat-Hill: https://www.dropbox.com/s/97ma78vt8b4kbix/Overheat Hill.kmz?dl=0

The KS14S and KS18S overheat at 80-degrees Celsius. I assume that the KS16S does also, but I haven't personally overheated that wheel so I can't say with authority.

130 degrees is absolutely nothing. You know your wheel is starting to work hard when the temperature starts climbing above 160-degrees. 

11 hours ago, Japmerican said:

Yup, that was me on matte black Gotway ACM2, too bad you don't live in Roy anymore.  Upside is that there are many more off road trails available in SLC than here... I lived in SLC for 19 yrs before moving back.  Yes, we need to hookup and you can try Mten3 lol... I hope you or @Santa know something about videoing to show the forum members how beautiful Utah is... :cheers:

17 hours ago, houseofjob said:

Well, maybe I can meet up with a team of you Utah folk (including @Mark Lee!) on my yearly Park City ski trip next January / February 2019!

To have one of the Masters of EUC here in Utah would be a honor.  We will try to give you time to enjoy skiing, on the greatest snow on the Earth... Just give us heads up to make the time for the EUC Clinic... :cheers:

1 minute ago, Mark Lee said:

To have one of the Masters of EUC here in Utah would be a honor.  We will try to give you time to enjoy skiing, on the greatest snow on the Earth... Just give us heads up to make the time for the EUC Clinic... :cheers:

Oh man, I want to see this master of EUC and learn from him too, who is he? LOL

10 hours ago, Mark Lee said:

Yup, that was me on matte black Gotway ACM2, too bad you don't live in Roy anymore.  Upside is that there are many more off road trails available in SLC than here... I lived in SLC for 19 yrs before moving back.  Yes, we need to hookup and you can try Mten3 lol... I hope you or @Santa know something about videoing to show the forum members how beautiful Utah is... :cheers:

I don't know what you're talking about. Utah is a desert wasteland and prospective newcomers should move to Colorado instead so I can afford a house here... :whistling:

IMG_20180409_173551.thumb.jpg.b5154c5e88061c54fd628e46cf83d701.jpg

In other news, my 14S is set to be delivered today, so I'll be flailing around in Liberty Park like an idiot all afternoon trying to get the hang of one-wheeled transportation. Wish me luck! 

Welcome to the sport addiction.  I know it's an addiction because my wheel (MSuper V3s+) is out for repairs by Jason right now, and I am definitely responding with withdrawals.  If I could buy a second one for in the meantime, I would.  

You will now be subject to the joyous highs of riding it and the depressive lows of not being able to ride when it's not available or not allowed.  

Glad to have another one on board.  :)  Might be in your area next year.  If I am, I'll let you know and we can try to get together to ride if you like.

In the mean time, I suggest you save up for another one, because you know, addiction and repairs don't work together.  Just to be safe, you understand.  ;)

1 minute ago, Catlord17 said:

Welcome to the sport addiction.  I know it's an addiction because my wheel (MSuper V3s+) is out for repairs by Jason right now, and I am definitely responding with withdrawals.  If I could buy a second one for in the meantime, I would.  

You will now be subject to the joyous highs of riding it and the depressive lows of not being able to ride when it's not available or not allowed.  

Glad to have another one on board.  :)  Might be in your area next year.  If I am, I'll let you know and we can try to get together to ride if you like.

In the mean time, I suggest you save up for another one, because you know, addiction and repairs don't work together.  Just to be safe, you understand.  ;)

Everyone must have two backup spare wheels. Must. :D

What happened to your V3s+?

1 hour ago, Santa said:

I don't know what you're talking about. Utah is a desert wasteland and prospective newcomers should move to Colorado instead so I can afford a house here... :whistling:

IMG_20180409_173551.thumb.jpg.b5154c5e88061c54fd628e46cf83d701.jpg

In other news, my 14S is set to be delivered today, so I'll be flailing around in Liberty Park like an idiot all afternoon trying to get the hang of one-wheeled transportation. Wish me luck! 

Great point, rental price has been moving up recently (love it when my tenants reward me with a wheel now and then.  Motivates me to do my best for them).  I too learned on the KS 14s, see if you can find someone to walk next to you while you get the feel of the wheel.  It helped Shawn when he started, he started to ride within minutes... :cheers:

17 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Everyone must have two backup spare wheels. Must. :D

What happened to your V3s+?

I'm not entirely sure.  It started developing a sort of stutter that got worse and more frequent until I couldn't ride it. 

Jason instructed me to tighten the screws inside, and I did; the first time, I forgot to use Loc Tite, as he said to.  The wheel was okay for a couple days, then back to it.

The second time, I re-read the instructions, and saw the Loc Tite, so I applied it, and same thing.  

The third time, I realized that I had probably applied it incorrectly, so I removed the screws and put it in the area where the screw would be so it got into the threads themselves.  That also failed to do anything for more than a few hours before it got so bad that I bent the handle trying to get it back to my car.  

Incredibly, when I opened it up to disconnect the batteries for shipping it back, there was at least one of those screws visibly loose AGAIN... I left it alone this time and just shipped it back.

The stuttering is basically the motor trying to stop and go at the same time, (go both directions at once maybe?).  I had to walk the wheel a half mile back to my car, and sometimes the shaking got so violent that I had to lift the wheel off the ground or lay or down to prevent it from hitting something nearby (car).  Definitely was not happy time while I was in Key West, which is a perfect place to ride.  I have about 515 miles on my wheel, and because of the stuttering and my limited schedule have not been much able to use it for a few months now.  When Jason saw video of how it was acting hours after the Loc Tite had dried, he even paid for the shipping back (it's still under warranty).  Unfortunately, I had my girlfriend go on a cleaning rampage a week prior and throw away the box, so we ended up getting stuck for $55 US for box and "packing labor".  But whatever, I just want my wheel back - or $2,000 to buy another one NOW!!!

Sorry, addiction talking.  lol

I don't understand how those screws could have been causing that issue, and I definitely don't understand how nothing I did would keep them tight, but I'm confident Jason and crew have this under control.  I suspected something like this was going to happen when I bought it, simply because when I bought it, everything in my life related to transportation was failing, crashing, dying, being delayed, etc.  The wheel took longer to originally get to me than planned (back ordered, then had to be re-flashed for firmware), and then this happens.  Must be something about the timing.  I have noted this sort of odd clustering of troubles before with other things.

In any case... I'm currently in possession of some very short fingernails while I await the return of my crack wheel. :D

6 minutes ago, Catlord17 said:

<snip>

Sorry, addiction talking.  lol

<snip>

In any case... I'm currently in possession of some very short fingernails while I await the return of my crack wheel. :D

I feel your pain (that thrown away shipping box must have hurt :().

At least you have a positive outlook about the whole experience. Hope you get back to wheeling very soon :thumbup:

44 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I feel your pain (that thrown away shipping box must have hurt :().

At least you have a positive outlook about the whole experience. Hope you get back to wheeling very soon :thumbup:

Yeah, not the smartest thing I ever did.  From now on I am just going to store the boxes they come in, in the garage.  You never know when you'll need it.

Well... That was fun! Just got back from my inaugural ride, and I'm fully sold on this robot wheel thing. 

I dragged my wife along to a nice park and fooled around in the grass until I got my head around the necessary movements; I think learning on grass helped me pick it up relatively quickly because you're forced to deal with uneven surfaces right from the get-go, and falling is less intimidating than on pavement. Once I learned to trust the thing it felt pretty natural, although I'm gonna need to strengthen all those foot muscles I wasn't aware existed... I ended up feeling comfortable enough to ride it back home through a few quiet neighborhoods, and I might try commuting to work soon.

Good stuff!

4 hours ago, Santa said:

Well... That was fun! Just got back from my inaugural ride, and I'm fully sold on this robot wheel thing. 

I dragged my wife along to a nice park and fooled around in the grass until I got my head around the necessary movements; I think learning on grass helped me pick it up relatively quickly because you're forced to deal with uneven surfaces right from the get-go, and falling is less intimidating than on pavement. Once I learned to trust the thing it felt pretty natural, although I'm gonna need to strengthen all those foot muscles I wasn't aware existed... I ended up feeling comfortable enough to ride it back home through a few quiet neighborhoods, and I might try commuting to work soon.

Good stuff!

I felt the same way about the grass! Now I have a mental block about riding on pavement, even though I've transitioned to it several days ago. I think I'm nervous about falling off the wheel on pavement.  So the first 10-15 minutes of every ride on pavement I'm a little shaky, can't mount the wheel the first several tries, and can't turn well.. then I get in grass and all is good again, bumps and all. I get my bearings back in grass and then the road feels comfortable again.  Weird! Hope I'll lose my road anxiety with more exposure.  

I'm on a firewheel f260 someone here sold me until my KS14S ships. 

On 6/13/2018 at 1:02 PM, Japmerican said:

A neighbor riding up my apartment elevator with me, noting my ewheel, said they saw someone on an ewheel, in DC, going down the street with a case of beer in his hands. ?

Trust me, you'll grow into being everything you really want to do on the wheel.  It's one of those things where the fun and desire pushes you to keep trying until you get it.  I think the only thing I have left to learn on mine is riding backwards, which really isn't a priority because it's a 50 pound beast and I'm trying to see what's coming! I'll get there, and so will you.  It will amaze you what you discover you can do each day that you couldn't do the day before, too.

Case of beer?  No sweat.  :)

Have fun, and roll on!

Archived